01-16-12 05:14 PM
190 12345 ...
tools
    Yes it is in the official also. I guess someone doesn't know their PB.
    it seems to work on this forum. i've definitely seen it NOT work in other fields though. no matter how much i tap/long tap/whatever, the cut/copy/paste bar never shows up.
    12-27-11 11:29 AM
    i`ll just leave you with this thought, i know whats coming to OS2, as in stuff that isnt in the `dev beta` but is in the RIM internal builds, and due to that i booked myself into devcon europe. that should say it all
    Don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to know it's THEMES. Should be interesting to see!
    12-27-11 11:55 AM
    Don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to know it's THEMES. Should be interesting to see!
    really? i hope not. thats the last thing playbook needs.
    12-27-11 11:59 AM
    Some are hawt some are not. Depends on who's making them and who's judging them. But if there's anything the OS7 theme fiasco has taught me, there's a of a lot of theme developers for BB, and geting rid of themes would only make them look elsewhere. Furthermore, I see themes in OS10 as a great opportunity for RIM to differentiate itself within the market. My two cents.
    12-27-11 12:16 PM
    nope, something(s) far cooler

why? people like themes, the facts speak for themselves, the `big 3` OS`s (android, BBOS, iOS) all have themes and lots of people use them
    12-27-11 01:01 PM
    NO OS2 in Feb. only more excuses
    12-27-11 01:08 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting...
    12-27-11 01:11 PM
    I would like to see a native SMS Bridge, a deal with Skype, more swiping restores, the ability to control my television and for it to press my coffee in the morning.

That last part may be pushing it, but it would be nice.
    hpjrt likes this.
    12-27-11 02:43 PM
    I love hearing this ... but is it going to get here before the end of February???
    12-27-11 03:08 PM
    They say they'll have it by the end of February? Taking into account their past history with their promised vs. actual release date of the first OS, I say it'll be out either on March 19th or 20th. Hopefully I'm wrong and it'll actually be February 1st, but as I said when waiting for the Playbook to come out originally, I'd rather have an awesome product come out late than a POS come out on time.
    12-27-11 03:37 PM
    I honestly have no idea then... not even the littlest hint???
    12-27-11 04:49 PM
    you guys do know that Skype is NOT coming to the Playbook right????? Like seriously guys... It's not coming.... give up on wanting skype because it is not coming!
    12-27-11 06:07 PM
    And the last I heard is that OS2 will be released to us by the last week of February with tons of goodies minus any Skype support.
    12-27-11 06:10 PM
    Personally I'm glad we haven't seen leaks, or press releases describing the new features in OS2.

I'm going to preface this by saying I love my playbook. I am not one of those constantly complaining about what it doesn't do, even though it does everything it did when I bought it..

That said.. of course we all like to see new features, and while I have zero inside knowledge.. and can't say for sure whether they are on time with the upgrade or what new features will be included, I don't see the lack of full featured leaks to be a bad thing.. I am sincerely hoping that for once, they are keeping a tight lid on things, and they are just going to come out launch day, or a few days before showing off some great new stuff, way better then anyone expected or even hoped for, leaving the competition struggling to catch up. Letting the cat out the bag before your ready to go to market only does 2 things.. it leaves a sour taste with people if for any reason you can't deliver on a promised feature AND most importantly.. it gives the competition time to beat or at least match your innovations by the time you release them.. I am in no way an apple fan, but marketing is one thing no one can deny they have done well.. under promise and over deliver.. and keep everything secret until its polished and ready to go.. that is what works!
    hpjrt likes this.
    12-27-11 06:38 PM
    I really dont want native apps on my device, unless I can delete or at least hide them.

Improve bridge to support sms & mms.

New to PB so my only real issue is lack of advertising........... I want more PB out there.
    00stryder and hpjrt like this.
    12-27-11 06:43 PM
    In RIM speak end of Feb could be any time from the last week of Feb through next summer!
    12-27-11 06:58 PM
    I really dont want native apps on my device, unless I can delete or at least hide them.

Improve bridge to support sms & mms.

New to PB so my only real issue is lack of advertising........... I want more PB out there.
    +1 on this.. I understand some people are looking for native apps, and I have no objection to them.. especially if they coupled with sweet new features bring a wider adoption to the playbook of non blackberry users, as it is/will be the best tablet on the market. Anything goo for the brand is good for me.. but I won't use them. I like bridge and I intend to continue to use it rather then native apps, So hopefully we have the choice to delete/hide/disable the native apps if we choose.

That said I like the way apple users have the ability to start a conversation on the phone, move to the ipad etc.. not sure if that can be accomplished through bridge or if it would be better with a native app/cloud setup.. actually, just thinking out loud now, but native apps would be cool if its the cloud or bis that downloads your messages once and syncs it to both the playbook and your phone etc rather then each item logging into imap or whatever.. I just don't want to delete a message on my phone, and then open my playbook and see it still there.. I know people are going to jump in with imap syncs deletes etc, but that technology isn't perfect.. if i read or delete a message on my phone, its marked read or deleted in gmail, but if i read or delete one in gmail, its not marked on the phone, and I can just see reading something on my phone, and that not translating to the playbook if we are talking separate native clients.. an I'll throw it across the room before I manually mark all as read on my tablet each time I open it, I get too many emails a day to be duplicating..
    12-27-11 06:59 PM
    either way theres touch.facebook.com which works awesomely in the browser and thats basically the HTML5 app on android and iOS.
    WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?!

Thank you!
    12-27-11 07:54 PM
    Pb needs ability to zap those who complaim about a $5 angry birds game lol
    12-27-11 07:57 PM
    Never have I seen so many people still, with eagerness, waiting for industry standard features that may or may not be coming in or later than Feb.

Sadly, the only thing I use my Playbook (received as a gift), is for simple web browsing when I cant be bothered getting up and fetching my desktop replacement 10 pound "laptop".

But even that it doesn't do so well(which drives me insane).. Even with no other apps running, the browser still lags upon navigation and registering flicks of the finger. But this is clearly terrible programming and not lack of hardware. It's the same with all BB touch browsers. The way they decided to handle browsering is basically this. If you ever used an iOS device you'll know what im talking about. When you place you swipe the screen, the PB registers a sort of "semi click" (those browsing google images and see themselves opening the image instead of scrolling down will see this in clear action on a blackberry 9900 or 9930 or Torch). What basically happens is it first reads it as a click then a swipe of movement. On an iOS device, its always registering the movement first (if there is one), and if there isnt a movement, you can see it then pick it up as a click and will proceed to open the link or page etc..

But what I really hate is that unless you disable Flash(which wont matter much anymore as things seem), and in some cases Javascript as well, the browser is not as fluid as you would expect in terms of navigation (even with litterally one window open).

What I really dislike is the fact that whatever this thing can do, it only does it fairly well as comparison to other tablets (which in of themselves are somewhat very niche specific, but thats a discussion for another topic). And the biggest and most baffling thing about the community is the hope that some new OS will change something (aside from offering things that should've been offered DAY 1).

But what I don't get is, why all the hope? When has RIM in recent memory ever delivered fully on what they told people they were going to do (let alone something a bit more as a good will gesture). Honestly just take a look right around the corner with OS7 and all of the baffling reasons why BBX still isnt in the market, look at themes for the OS7, quite baffling/pathetic that a thrid party created a way to make custom themes before RIM themselves do. And don't tell me "new OS7's amazing LiquidGraphics broke the theme builder", I wasn't born yesterday, it's not that hard to get around that, and even that doesn't make any sense considering LiquidGraphics is just a simple coined term, not a peice of hardware or software technology, but is just instead basically "better hardware that lets us run the phone functions with more smoother transitions due to faster proccessing. So why a faster processer/GPU would ever "break" (<<break?LOL?) a theme builder is beyond me. Lying to customers isn't the best way to go considerin your position on the market at the moment RIM ...

To finish up about the Playbook, it as a whole has been one huge beta test for the BBX upcoming platform and maybe the potential QNX tablet platform (with a showing like this its hard to continue thier investment in further tablet progress). As for the Playbook itself, I like it overall because I am a simpleton that doesn't expect much from the world anymore (when you take a close look, quality/economics/life as a whole, everything is declining in reletive comparison to the past). It has charm, and a nice look, as well as being slightly portable, so it does what it does, just enough to not be something I would get rid of. (I bought an iPad2 for this person that got me the Playbook after it so don't bash saying something along the lines "you didn't pay for it, so you don't know how to appriciate"). In conclusion, the sad fact is: There is not much playing to be done on the Playbook, but what really is more sad and tragic, is that there is also nothing Blackberry iconic about it.

P.S. Sorry for the life's story, but dont you hate deleting a long message you sometimes write >_<
    Last edited by The_Kills; 12-27-11 at 08:38 PM.
    ninepbs likes this.
    12-27-11 08:30 PM
    Personally I'm glad we haven't seen leaks, or press releases describing the new features in OS2.

I'm going to preface this by saying I love my playbook. I am not one of those constantly complaining about what it doesn't do, even though it does everything it did when I bought it..

That said.. of course we all like to see new features, and while I have zero inside knowledge.. and can't say for sure whether they are on time with the upgrade or what new features will be included, I don't see the lack of full featured leaks to be a bad thing.. I am sincerely hoping that for once, they are keeping a tight lid on things, and they are just going to come out launch day, or a few days before showing off some great new stuff, way better then anyone expected or even hoped for, leaving the competition struggling to catch up. Letting the cat out the bag before your ready to go to market only does 2 things.. it leaves a sour taste with people if for any reason you can't deliver on a promised feature AND most importantly.. it gives the competition time to beat or at least match your innovations by the time you release them.. I am in no way an apple fan, but marketing is one thing no one can deny they have done well.. under promise and over deliver.. and keep everything secret until its polished and ready to go.. that is what works!

OS 2.0 is actually only supposed to bring the playbook to parity with other devices. as far as i can tell, there really hasn't been any 'innovative' work in it besides putting in basic functionality like the native email client (which some say might not even make it to 2.0 at all). android player support right now is currently buggy and a LOT of apps don't work on it. i'm hoping thats significantly improved by official launch date.

personally, i think part of the announcement/launch will be that they managed to partner up with some big companies for apps. for example netflix or something at the very LEAST. if they don't even come through with that, well i dunno what else they can really offer.
    12-27-11 08:33 PM
    The way I see it, they only have one choice and that is to have OS2 ready by end of February.

Previously, we had been given dates but it was just people throwing dates around - i.e. Jim's 60 day statement. The February date was given in a press release.

I hope OS2 comes out on time and I hope it makes you all happy
    12-27-11 08:42 PM
    Living in Manhatten has made you an unhappy, cynical person hasn't it?

I think that your opinion is based not on what you "know" but on what you have read/digested. If you received it as a Christmas gift, you've probably had it for a week and yet you dismiss it out of hand.

I personally find the Playbook to be fast and quite handy. I've shot videos on it, watched TV on it streamed from Canadian stations, caught up on the news of the world all on my own timetable. I neither expected it to replace my desktop nor should it. It's a tablet!

I am still learning what can be done with this little gem - and I've had it for close to a month!

I am looking forward to the update in February. You're not.
    sk8er_tor and musical1806 like this.
    12-27-11 08:54 PM
    If I cared about Kindle, I probably would have bought... a Kindle. Sometimes I wonder if there is a direct relationship between the people complaining about the lack of functionality and apps and the people who paid full retail price... Hmmm...

I bought my PB for what it was capable of when I bought it after doing my homework and I'm happy with it. If it gets better someday, then bonus!
    Spinalguy and musical1806 like this.
    12-27-11 08:56 PM
    OS 2.0 is actually only supposed to bring the playbook to parity with other devices. as far as i can tell, there really hasn't been any 'innovative' work in it besides putting in basic functionality like the native email client (which some say might not even make it to 2.0 at all). android player support right now is currently buggy and a LOT of apps don't work on it. i'm hoping thats significantly improved by official launch date.

personally, i think part of the announcement/launch will be that they managed to partner up with some big companies for apps. for example netflix or something at the very LEAST. if they don't even come through with that, well i dunno what else they can really offer.
    And you are basing this opinion of a lack of innovation work on ... what? Do you have any contact within the halls of Rim that you can make pronouncements on what will or won't be included?
    12-27-11 08:57 PM
190 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD