OS2 will leapfrog the competing tablets. Android tablets will look primitive in comparison. Your PBs will appear to be a wise purchase at the end of Feb in 2012. Past performance by RIM overall has led the industry, with the last 2 years as an abberation. RIM is rolling back. Not subject to debate. This will be proven in February. Be there.
    In which direction will RIM be leapfrogging the competition?
    12-28-11 06:09 PM
    Santa has an ETA of 364 or 365 days and I'll bet he arrives first!
    Lol....I'm with you,giving RIM's track record with releasesa- the Feb. date will come and goooooooo before we see OS2. Think mid to late summer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-11 06:11 PM
    OS2 will leapfrog the competing tablets. Android tablets will look primitive in comparison. Your PBs will appear to be a wise purchase at the end of Feb in 2012. Past performance by RIM overall has led the industry, with the last 2 years as an abberation. RIM is rolling back. Not subject to debate. This will be proven in February. Be there.
    Jack Daniels? Beer? Tequila? What is your potent drink of choice?
    12-28-11 06:17 PM
    It's the marketers job to take a product and present it in such a way as to make the consumer believe they must have it. Sometimes this involves stating facts or embellishments, truths or promises and, rarely, lies. If all marketing was comprehensive and accurate, then there would be no need for the thousands and thousands of product reviews and sneak peeks that are out there. I do not care to spin anything, I'm just one of those people who is not naive enough to believe everything I see in marketing. If you feel so strongly that you have been lied to by RIM, then why are you still a BB consumer? There are other options out there...
    CEO's statements. That's why so many trust them so much now-a-days. Especially those who invest in stocks.
    12-28-11 06:19 PM
    Dreamers dream.
    12-28-11 06:53 PM
    upgrades i'd like to see:

the ability to manually edit your wifi list. if there is a way now i haven't figured it out.
    i'd love to see some kind of remote control over bridge so that you can control the video and music apps. play, fast forward, rewind, pause, stop, next, previous. shouldn't be too hard to bake into bridge. even if it's just using the touchpad it makes sense to me. having the playbook hooked up to a tv to watch a movie is great. having to walk up to it to control it is not. if the phone keyboard worked over bridge even better.
    bridge browser: so the browser will see only certain file types. great for viewing. what if i want to copy a file from the phone to the playbook so i can view or edit it? no can do. if i have a 5 minute video clip on the phone i'd like to be able to copy it to the playbook over bridge to view it.
    and while we are on the subject of phone video.... why the does the playbook video app not support 3gp?

this is nitpicky, but clean up the grammar and spelling of some of the information popups. to me it's unprofessional. the most glaring one is in the wifi errors when you can't connect and that profile ends up disabled. wait.. get rid of that too! why disable the profile?
    12-28-11 09:21 PM
    I don't really have much to add to this discussion but I am getting some entertainment watching 2 posters with all the pessimistic anti-RIM negative responses liking and thanking each others posts. I think you make a sweet couple
    anon(757282) and AggreX like this.
    12-28-11 09:41 PM
    Amazed that all of the people posting on this forum who claim to have RIM devices are so giddy with excitement to see RIM fail. You don't like the products, you don't like the software, OS, or apps, you don't like the company, and you only post derogatory or sarcastic comments when someone speaks about the upcoming new products or software.

Do you really own RIM devices or what? If you are so miserable, perhaps you should look to another of the fine manufacturers and try their wares. Then you can visit their wonderful forums, right here on the Mobile Nations (R) network, and trumpet your praise there.

RIM has had a tough year, but they also have a long track record of solid products and services. Let's see what happens at the end of February.
    12-28-11 09:43 PM
    Amazed that all of the people posting on this forum who claim to have RIM devices are so giddy with excitement to see RIM fail. You don't like the products, you don't like the software, OS, or apps, you don't like the company, and you only post derogatory or sarcastic comments when someone speaks about the upcoming new products or software.

Do you really own RIM devices or what? If you are so miserable, perhaps you should look to another of the fine manufacturers and try their wares. Then you can visit their wonderful forums, right here on the Mobile Nations (R) network, and trumpet your praise there.

RIM has had a tough year, but they also have a long track record of solid products and services. Let's see what happens at the end of February.
    It's because they're deliberately baiting people into losing their tempers and then getting into trouble for it. don't engage them directly that's what they're trying to get you to do, and DO make use of your report button. The moderators already have a few on a watch list, and we got rid of one of their sweethearts this week. The moderators need the reports to help keep this place clean.
    12-28-11 09:56 PM
    Let's see what happens at the end of 60 days.
    Let's see what happens at the end of 90 days.
    Let's see what happens at the end of 120 days.
    Let's see what happens at the end of summer 2011.
    Let's see what happens at the end of DevCon.
    Let's see what happens at the end of February 2012.

Sure seems to be a pattern developing when it comes to the Playbook doesnt it. But I dont disagree with your post; but at the same time, it would be really nice for RIM to actually deliver on something when it comes to the Playbook. If RIM is truly able to follow through on its February committment, this will go a long way in proving to the current owners, future owners, tech writers, bloggers, media, etc., that RIM is able to properly support the Playbook and is able to still compete with the big boys. If RIM fails to meet the February commttment, well who knows what will happen. In either case, February 2012, arguably, is one of the most pivatol points in the Playbook's lifecycle outside of its launch.
    Last edited by Darlaten; 12-28-11 at 10:07 PM.
    12-28-11 10:03 PM
    Some sick puppies out there.
    12-28-11 10:17 PM
    In either case, February 2012, arguably, is one of the most pivatol points in the Playbook's lifecycle outside of its launch.
    I agree with you on that point. Pivatol for RIM as well as the PlayBook. Need to start to rebuild confidence.
    12-28-11 10:21 PM
    Let's see what happens at the end of 60 days.
    Let's see what happens at the end of 90 days.
    Let's see what happens at the end of 120 days.
    Let's see what happens at the end of summer 2011.
    Let's see what happens at the end of DevCon.
    Let's see what happens at the end of February 2012.

Sure seems to be a pattern developing when it comes to the Playbook doesnt it. But I dont disagree with your post; but at the same time, it would be really nice for RIM to actually deliver on something when it comes to the Playbook. If RIM is truly able to follow through on its February committment, this will go a long way in proving to the current owners, future owners, tech writers, bloggers, media, etc., that RIM is able to properly support the Playbook and is able to still compete with the big boys. If RIM fails to meet the February commttment, well who knows what will happen. In either case, February 2012, arguably, is one of the most pivatol points in the Playbook's lifecycle outside of its launch.
    When RIM announced the Feb 12 release for PB 2.0, I was probably as much impressed as I was disappointed. While I thought they were nuts to miss the Christmas shopping window, I got the overall sense that they were setting this date because they honestly believed it was achievable.

I'd actually argue that this date is even more important than the original launch at this point; if RIM manages to get a couple of key developers to support the 2.0 platform (again, Netflix, Skype, Kindle come to mind... Zinio? Please?) there's a very good chance they can turn things around. If they don't? I hold RIM stock, and I'd rather not think about that.

Worth remembering: RIM is currently undergoing a management review that's scheduled to present a public report to the board by January 31. Reports today were that this review is "on track" to meet that deadline.
    12-29-11 12:10 AM
    When RIM announced the Feb 12 release for PB 2.0

<snip>

I'd actually argue that this date is even more important than the original launch at this point
    I agree totally with that.

Getting something, that contains enough of the oft-mentioned "wow" features to be able to legitimately claim that this is OS2, out in February is crucial. I really do think it could break the company if RIM don't deliver.

Despite RIM regularly missing the deadlines that they themselves set, I don't believe that the market is prepared to forgive yet another missed deadline. Meeting this deadline goes way beyond the issue of OS2 for Playbook, which represents a vanishingly small proportion of the RIM portfolio, it's become a credibility issue for RIM.

The stockmarket reaction will be harsh, Playbook's future would be moot, and the stated 2012 Q3 release date for BB10 phones would be completely discredited.

Hopefully RIM also understand that Amateur Hour is indeed over!
    12-29-11 03:54 AM

Brian, I don't think the objective of the Crackberry forums is to have a big love in and hug session about how great RIM products are when they really are not. The stock price has been decimated. Investors who believed in the company have lost billions and confidence in management. Long standing blackberry users are abandoning RIM's handsets as evidenced by the declining sales, market share and profitability.

Just because every poster does not have rose colored glasses when talking about blackberries does not mean we are here to troll.

A lot of blackberry users are frustrated. I have owned their handsets since 2003 and bought a minimum of 1 phone a year, and always bought the latest model on launch day. I still own considerable shares in this company which I have written off.

I believe most posters are here to debate in good faith. It is disingenuous to call any negative comments as a sign that people want this company to fail. On the contrary.

Telling RIM management that they are doing a great job and patting them on the back is the last thing this company needs and is the quickest way to ensure that this company fails.

Telling people to go buy an android or iphone as you suggest doesn't help RIM either.

This company is in serious trouble and a lot of people are frustrated at the direction this company is heading. It would be a sad situation to have to choose between only an android or iphone.

A lot of posters want to see this company succeed, but this co-ceo structure just isn't working.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-29-11 at 01:20 PM.
    12-29-11 04:26 AM
    When RIM announced the Feb 12 release for PB 2.0, I was probably as much impressed as I was disappointed. While I thought they were nuts to miss the Christmas shopping window, I got the overall sense that they were setting this date because they honestly believed it was achievable.

I'd actually argue that this date is even more important than the original launch at this point; if RIM manages to get a couple of key developers to support the 2.0 platform (again, Netflix, Skype, Kindle come to mind... Zinio? Please?) there's a very good chance they can turn things around. If they don't? I hold RIM stock, and I'd rather not think about that.

Worth remembering: RIM is currently undergoing a management review that's scheduled to present a public report to the board by January 31. Reports today were that this review is "on track" to meet that deadline.
    Maybe it's this report to the board due by January 31 that we should be watching for--might include the real decision on what happens to the Playbook. Well, at least along with our Playbooks, RIM is providing us with an interesting side drama...
    12-29-11 04:28 AM

When I heard this i really thought they had intent to release sooner, sometime in Jan in fact. They thru Feb out there to make sure they finally can make a date that they set. I still think they will release early in Jan with PIM, autocorrect, proper bookmark management and hopefully a ton of little bug fixes here and there. I dont actually expect netflix, kindle, hulu and such, probably not skype either as those are apps that RIM technically is not responsible for. If they had those apps then they would probably hit a grand slam.
    AggreX likes this.
    12-29-11 05:18 AM
    I don't really have much to add to this discussion but I am getting some entertainment watching 2 posters with all the pessimistic anti-RIM negative responses liking and thanking each others posts. I think you make a sweet couple
    I thought I was the only one who noticed that. BTW, all my responses have come via my PlayBook... Yep, I still like it.
    12-29-11 06:18 AM
    Am I the PB owner still waiting on the DLNA certification? I was hoping for that to come.

Althere things I hope for
    sms, mms bridge
    Netflix
    bridged phone calls
    bridged visual voice mail
    video voicemail
    wikitude app
    ability to zip media files
    ability to see music and video on my player from my phone

PS other things I dream of: a docing station that has hdmi connection and quick charge capability and speakers. I know I am a dreamer.
    12-29-11 08:58 AM
    When I heard this i really thought they had intent to release sooner, sometime in Jan in fact. They thru Feb out there to make sure they finally can make a date that they set. I still think they will release early in Jan with PIM, autocorrect, proper bookmark management and hopefully a ton of little bug fixes here and there. I dont actually expect netflix, kindle, hulu and such, probably not skype either as those are apps that RIM technically is not responsible for. If they had those apps then they would probably hit a grand slam.
    Why can't RIM take the initiative an pay the developers to create some of the more popular apps like Netflix, Slingplayer, Teamviewer, FTP software, Skype, Kindle, etc.

Throw a couple million dollars at it and have a half dozen of the apps we all want.

Why hasn't a developer come out with an email client? I would pay $30 for a client that could do POP and IMAP.

I suspect the developers believed an email client was imminent and did not want to waste their time and money.
    12-29-11 01:25 PM
    Why can't RIM take the initiative an pay the developers to create some of the more popular apps like Netflix, Slingplayer, Teamviewer, FTP software, Skype, Kindle, etc.

Throw a couple million dollars at it and have a half dozen of the apps we all want.
    As a developer, I would rather they just use that money to give everyone a store credit that they can use to buy the apps they like. Let us all compete for that money and you'll get a lot more apps.

Why hasn't a developer come out with an email client? I would pay $30 for a client that could do POP and IMAP.

I suspect the developers believed an email client was imminent and did not want to waste their time and money.
    Well, there's that. Plus there is no native UI framework available to us yet. No one is going to write their own to make an email app.
    12-29-11 01:32 PM
    Well, there's that. Plus there is no native UI framework available to us yet. No one is going to write their own to make an email app.
    What does this mean that there is no UI framework available to develop apps when there are new apps added everyday for the PB?

Thanks.
    12-29-11 01:35 PM
    there were several, well maybe 2, email clients that were created. One never was completed and submitted into appworld. Or if it was RIM might have held it back. the 2nd was amail. You can look into that huge mess if you want. That ended up turning into a scam almost
    12-29-11 01:42 PM
    there were several, well maybe 2, email clients that were created. One never was completed and submitted into appworld. Or if it was RIM might have held it back. the 2nd was amail. You can look into that huge mess if you want. That ended up turning into a scam almost
    Thanks. It looks legitimate. Would have fooled me:

aMail – Email for Playbook | AiFlex – Development Studio
    12-29-11 01:45 PM
    What does this mean that there is no UI framework available to develop apps when there are new apps added everyday for the PB?

Thanks.
    If you are bringing over an immersive game (Angry Birds), there is raw openGL and things like Box2D ported over it. If you want to build with Air, or HTML5, you have those options (I think many new apps are using those)

But the really great business and utility apps on iOS and Android are built on the native UI frameworks that Apple and Google give us. RIM has something called "Cascades" which is supposed to be that for Playbook (and I guess BB10 as well).

They said we would have this in the Fall, I guess it got pushed back with everything else to February (I hope). Those of use who do "business" type apps (but want still want native performance/fluidity/integration) are waiting on this.

More information from RIM on this here on their blog:

Cascades UI Framework - RIM developers blog
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-29-11 at 01:50 PM.
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    12-29-11 01:47 PM
190 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD