With RIM's track record, I would not schedule your life around this update......we have been disappointed often and I think.....when its out, its out.
    As much as I love my Playbook I have to agree with you. I bought mine on day one for $500 and the promises and delays have come and gone the whole time. So frustraiting to wait and even worse to see the price crash to $200. I am hopeful but ready for more disappointment. In the mean time I bought an iPad for Christmas. I hate Apple but I can not deny the iPad is a great product. I wanted a great product.
    kirson likes this.
    12-28-11 07:30 AM
    im just going by what RIM has announced.

BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 due in February, without stand-alone BBM

calendar/email/etc basic stuff + android player.

i'm also basing this on RIMs current track record of how they've been attempting to keep up with everyone else.

so i think its fair to assume safely that innovation-wise, people aren't expecting much from the RIM camp.

what are YOU basing these magical innovations you're expecting from RIM?
    I think, if you look very carefully, you will see that I have made no such speculation as to what may or may not be included in the OS update, "magical" or otherwise. It was you, amid others like you, who are touting definitive pronouncements.
    12-28-11 07:31 AM

Think how awesome the world would be if everything you read in marketing was true! I would really have those extra 3 inches, those 40 pounds I don't like would be history, my phone would be the top of the line (forever), the list goes on and on...

As much as I love my Playbook I have to agree with you. I bought mine on day one for $500 and the promises and delays have come and gone the whole time. So frustraiting to wait and even worse to see the price crash to $200. I am hopeful but ready for more disappointment. In the mean time I bought an iPad for Christmas. I hate Apple but I can not deny the iPad is a great product. I wanted a great product.
    Right on cue. Exit, stage right.
    swiftex likes this.
    12-28-11 07:38 AM
    Think how awesome the world would be if everything you read in marketing was true! I would really have those extra 3 inches, those 40 pounds I don't like would be history, my phone would be the top of the line (forever), the list goes on and on...
    So rim lied to customers yet the customers are the ones at fault?!
    FF22 and E92Vancouver like this.
    12-28-11 07:41 AM
    If the new Playbook update is due out in 60 days, that means they will actually start working on it in 53 days.

The wait is a little long on the tooth. I bought my Playbook in April 2011 and was promised an on board email client, calendar and contacts within 60 days.

The fact that they have missed this target by 8 months suggest one of the following:

1. They don't have a clue what they are doing.
    2. QNX is a very tough OS to work with and mold into the Blackberry format.
    3. They are phasing out the Playbook and simply don't care.
    4. The software developers are being micromanaged by RIM's resident megalomaniacs.

And while the two Waterloo co-dunces work on bringing last year's tablet features to the market next year, what are they doing about cloud services?

Apple and Google have the cloud for their users. Jim and Mike, having your head in the clouds does not count.
    You do realize that in some form or another RIM has been doing cloud services for mobile far longer than Apple or Google?
    pccdromaw and swiftex like this.
    12-28-11 07:42 AM
    If the new Playbook update is due out in 60 days, that means they will actually start working on it in 53 days.

The wait is a little long on the tooth. I bought my Playbook in April 2011 and was promised an on board email client, calendar and contacts within 60 days.

The fact that they have missed this target by 8 months suggest one of the following:

1. They don't have a clue what they are doing.
    2. QNX is a very tough OS to work with and mold into the Blackberry format.
    3. They are phasing out the Playbook and simply don't care.
    4. The software developers are being micromanaged by RIM's resident megalomaniacs.

And while the two Waterloo co-dunces work on bringing last year's tablet features to the market next year, what are they doing about cloud services?

Apple and Google have the cloud for their users. Jim and Mike, having your head in the clouds does not count.
    Speculation to add to all the other speculation around.

Rim built a tablet and went after the corporate market. They gave it a few months and saw it wasn't working. Now time for a redirection. RIM goes after the consumer market with OS2. If this is how it went down then a few months to change direction and build a new OS is not a long time. I suspect they were working on native email for OS1 and when they saw there wasn't a demand for the PB they dropped everything and went full steam ahead with OS2.
    I'm using the beta so you can't say that haven't been working on something.
    Few people know exactly whats going to be the official OS2.
    We can all sit around and cry about delays or we can wait for the product to be released.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-28-11 07:45 AM
    While the ipad is a good product I imagine you bought it for apps and after you play with several you'll find out you don't use them and the main reason you need apps is because the browser is crippled. Yes there are plenty of good apps for ipad and most of the good ones you have to have a reason to use them. Like who needs a medical dictionary etc. if your aren't in that field.

Yes it is frustrating. I understand that they overstated and figured on how fast they could get a new OS up and going in a direction it hasn't taken before. Just ask apple and android how long it took to get to where they are now. I know everyone doesn't care, that was then this is now etc. It's too late blah blah.

Yes they released too early in the OS life to get it out there. It has been improving and will continue to do so. If they can survive long enough I envision a very competitive if not the best mobile OS out there including those specialized apps with plenty of worthless dumb apps.
    AggreX and swiftex like this.
    12-28-11 07:50 AM
    So rim lied to customers yet the customers are the ones at fault?!

Where is the lie? Things get delayed, options get revised... That's life. I'm a gamer, how long was the delay for Gran Turismo 5? Hint: you can measure in years vice months. Now if I bought a PS3 back in 2006 specifically to play Gran Turismo 5 (which was released at the end of 2010), then I guess I would be more like you, waiting impatiently for that small nugget of joy to be available, while totally ignoring all the good things around me. Fact is, if there never comes an update, my PlayBook does all the things I expect it to and I don't have the need to run out and buy an iPad or another tablet. I mean get real, the iPad hasn't even been out for 2 years yet and its on the second version. Be happy that the news is an update in February/March vice a whole new PlayBook. I could hear the complaining now...
    AggreX, swiftex and CDM76 like this.
    12-28-11 07:57 AM
    While the ipad is a good product I imagine you bought it for apps and after you play with several you'll find out you don't use them and the main reason you need apps is because the browser is crippled.
    This argument is as stupid as the "who needs 10,000 fart apps" argument. Apps are good for far better reasons that avoiding the browser on the iPad. The lack of Flash may be important to some, perhaps even many, but that in and of itself doesn't "cripple" the browser as much as some people are desperate to believe. I can accept that people want Flash and therefore look to some other tablet to serve their needs, but I have a difficult time understanding why so many people can't accept that people want apps, whether on the iPad or the PlayBook.

Yes there are plenty of good apps for ipad and most of the good ones you have to have a reason to use them.
    Don't you have to have a reason to use all apps, whether on a tablet or a desktop computer? Seems to me that you do. I don't have Photoshop on my desktop, for example, because I think it's cool. I have it because I have a reason to use it. Likewise, I don't have OmniFocus on my iPad because I like to be hip. I have it because I have a reason to use it. And that reason isn't to avoid using Safari because it's "crippled."
    12-28-11 08:58 AM
    This argument is as stupid as the "who needs 10,000 fart apps" argument. Apps are good for far better reasons that avoiding the browser on the iPad. The lack of Flash may be important to some, perhaps even many, but that in and of itself doesn't "cripple" the browser as much as some people are desperate to believe. I can accept that people want Flash and therefore look to some other tablet to serve their needs, but I have a difficult time understanding why so many people can't accept that people want apps, whether on the iPad or the PlayBook.

Don't you have to have a reason to use all apps, whether on a tablet or a desktop computer? Seems to me that you do. I don't have Photoshop on my desktop, for example, because I think it's cool. I have it because I have a reason to use it. Likewise, I don't have OmniFocus on my iPad because I like to be hip. I have it because I have a reason to use it. And that reason isn't to avoid using Safari because it's "crippled."
    How nice of you to pick out and impose your reading of my statement to what makes sense to you. I did not say apps are not needed but yes I don't need a youtube app to watch youtube videos. I don't need a medical dictionary app because I don't care or work in the medical field. I don't need a ......... the list goes on and on. There are apps that I do want and use but I'm not going to be using photoshop on any tablet.

I don't know, you tell me how many of the millions of apps in itunes you use daily that are important for you to enjoy and use your device as you want to? How many fart apps are there? How many apps all do the same thing as 1,000 other apps do? I don't know as I have no reason to look.

The ipad is a good device but it seems crippled for doing alot that you can do on other platforms without an app needed to do so. I'm sorry if the word crippled offends you but seriously can you surf to same site on your ipad that you do on a desktop without an app to bring you the content? I'm not talking about just any site either, try one that uses flash for content and isn't html5 friendly.

Nothing wrong with ipad it is just apples model that bites for ME.

Edit: Last thing will be said by me. This thread is hijacked like they all are around here.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-28-11 at 09:20 AM. Reason: hijack
    12-28-11 09:18 AM
    I know right, well OS2 should hurry up so we have something new to get bent out of shape over.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-28-11 09:24 AM
    Well I am going in Asia and there is still no way to listen to movies (no Netflix) on Playbook.
    Also, the OS2 will be delayed and we even do not know if what we want will be on OS2. Android market? Not sure that everything will be playable.
    How come RIM does not make a final countdown for the OS2 and how come they do not give more infos?
    Is it really the end of the PB?
    12-28-11 09:41 AM
    We..need..ADOBE TOUCH APPS!!!!!!!!! and USB support.
    12-28-11 09:48 AM
    I know right, well OS2 should hurry up so we have something new to get bent out of shape over.
    Well, I'd rather get my "bent out of shape" out of the way now rather than getting my "bent out of shape" (bend over and take it you know where) in Feb or March or April.
    12-28-11 09:58 AM
    Again,I will caution the overly optimistic that a full, feature-packed, fill-in-the-holes, make-good-on-all-promises OS 2.0 will not be available in February. No way will rim, within 60 days of this date, do something that out of character and streak-breaking and unprecedented. Either it will be late again- delayed, tho it wasnt promised right?- or a weak, watered down OS will be released that has 1 or 2 new features and mostly just have bug fixes and things to round this corner out and polish out that blemish... it will barely deserve to be 2.x (like OS 7.0 really is 6.1).

You cant say you werent warned.
    12-28-11 10:17 AM
    RIM usually hits their third prediction. Since it was supposed to be Mid 2011, then November (IIRC), Feb would make it three. lol
    12-28-11 11:47 AM
    Okay, let's look at some facts here:

• Native e-mail works. Several outsiders have seen the internal previews, and the accounts infrastructure has been in the emulator for months.
    • Android compatibility looks pretty decent on the Developer Preview
    • Developer preview is not feature-complete, but is stable enough (and represents enough of an improvement) that RIM could push it out in release tomorrow if they really wanted to.

These reasons on their own represent a pretty good basis for optimism that RIM will make their February target for OS 2.0, and that the biggest issue--lack of native e-mail--will be addressed.

The questions that remain to be answered:

• What's developer support going to look like? Is there any chance there's a blockbuster (eg. Skype, Netfilx, or enhanced MS Office support) that's being held back so it makes a splash on the OS 2 release?
    • Will there be new hardware? Will it be a huge step over current hardware?
    • Maybe most important: will RIM make this release target? Meeting release deadlines will be a refreshing change, and will go a long way to rebuilding confidence in the company.

I think there's plenty of reason for optimism. Fingers crossed!
    12-28-11 11:57 AM
    Again,I will caution the overly optimistic that a full, feature-packed, fill-in-the-holes, make-good-on-all-promises OS 2.0 will not be available in February. No way will rim, within 60 days of this date, do something that out of character and streak-breaking and unprecedented. Either it will be late again- delayed, tho it wasnt promised right?- or a weak, watered down OS will be released that has 1 or 2 new features and mostly just have bug fixes and things to round this corner out and polish out that blemish... it will barely deserve to be 2.x (like OS 7.0 really is 6.1).

You cant say you werent warned.
    I don't agree. What I suspect has happened is that while RIM could have released 2.0 back in November, they decided to give the team a couple of months grace.

Releasing in November would have done little to address the holiday shopping season, since most of the devices in the pipeline would have still had the 1.0 OS. I think RIM learned that making users put up with a 200+ MB download before they could even use their device was irritating at best, and not a great way to make a first impression.

I also think that RIM made a tough decision to set a target they knew for sure they could meet. There may be some additional marketing reasons as well; we'll know for sure if we see any interesting announcements at CES.
    metz9444 likes this.
    12-28-11 12:05 PM

Consider this, not everyone may be as pragmatic.
    12-28-11 02:42 PM
    You do realize that in some form or another RIM has been doing cloud services for mobile far longer than Apple or Google?
    And look at where they are now. Lagging behind the competition, fighting for their lives and looking like they are losing. Quite sad really.

Doesn't look like their head start in cloud services and push email is helping them today. Another example of the gross ineptitude of RIM management.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 12-28-11 at 06:18 PM.
    project_x likes this.
    12-28-11 02:46 PM
    For organizing, you might try AIR Browser (freebee app). You can create those folders you want for pictures, docs, etc. They'll show up when you go to your pictures and it makes it much easier to use. (If you've got things organzied for personal or business use, for example.) I've been using it about a month and it's been flawless. I agree, it should be integrated, but this is a relatively painless workaround.
    12-28-11 03:40 PM
    Where is the lie? Things get delayed, options get revised... That's life. I'm a gamer, how long was the delay for Gran Turismo 5? Hint: you can measure in years vice months. Now if I bought a PS3 back in 2006 specifically to play Gran Turismo 5 (which was released at the end of 2010), then I guess I would be more like you, waiting impatiently for that small nugget of joy to be available, while totally ignoring all the good things around me. Fact is, if there never comes an update, my PlayBook does all the things I expect it to and I don't have the need to run out and buy an iPad or another tablet. I mean get real, the iPad hasn't even been out for 2 years yet and its on the second version. Be happy that the news is an update in February/March vice a whole new PlayBook. I could hear the complaining now...
    Your own quote:

equates blackberry marketing with the other marketing lies including email spam, the lowest kind of marketing lie.

rim has lied in their marketing of the playbook. "in 60 days", "end of summer"... This is fact. You can't spin this.
    12-28-11 05:18 PM
    OS2 will leapfrog the competing tablets. Android tablets will look primitive in comparison. Your PBs will appear to be a wise purchase at the end of Feb in 2012. Past performance by RIM overall has led the industry, with the last 2 years as an abberation. RIM is rolling back. Not subject to debate. This will be proven in February. Be there.
    12-28-11 05:38 PM
    OS2 will leapfrog the competing tablets. Android tablets will look primitive in comparison. Your PBs will appear to be a wise purchase at the end of Feb in 2012. Past performance by RIM overall has led the industry, with the last 2 years as an abberation. RIM is rolling back. Not subject to debate. This will be proven in February. Be there.
    I hope your prophesy comes true.. I'll be there.
    12-28-11 05:41 PM
    Your own quote:

equates blackberry marketing with the other marketing lies including email spam, the lowest kind of marketing lie.

rim has lied in their marketing of the playbook. "in 60 days", "end of summer"... This is fact. You can't spin this.
    It's the marketers job to take a product and present it in such a way as to make the consumer believe they must have it. Sometimes this involves stating facts or embellishments, truths or promises and, rarely, lies. If all marketing was comprehensive and accurate, then there would be no need for the thousands and thousands of product reviews and sneak peeks that are out there. I do not care to spin anything, I'm just one of those people who is not naive enough to believe everything I see in marketing. If you feel so strongly that you have been lied to by RIM, then why are you still a BB consumer? There are other options out there...
    12-28-11 05:43 PM
190 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD