You chose an apt user name, drunkorexia.

.... it was said, by somebody, that OS2 would be released shortly after devcon. But, at this point, I wouldn't rely on squat from RIM. Wait and see.
    Was this "somebody" just one of the posters here?

The actual words used in the earnings call with investors were that the 2.0 update would be shown at DevCon and "released thereafter".

The word "shortly" was not used. In effect, all they told us at the time was that 2.0 would not be released before, or during, the Oct. 18-20 DevCon.
    10-10-11 06:37 PM
    Wrong. Thus, the rest of your post is based on a false premise.
    Okay... perhaps. But could you please provide a link to back up what you claim here? Something where there's a record of RIM staff promising the actual release of the non-beta (i.e. final) version during the summer?

I'm assuming you'll find something much older than the information I believe I could find links to, which I believe were some statements made during the summer, maybe around June. For example, this post, quoting RIM.
    10-10-11 06:42 PM
    Bottom line is nobody knows. END OF! Next! Lol
    Bla1ze likes this.
    10-10-11 07:03 PM
    Bottom line is nobody knows. END OF! Next! Lol
    RIM doesn't even know.. when it's ready.
    10-10-11 10:32 PM
    We should start an official Crackberry OS2 release pool. $5 per entry :P
    You know, I like your thinking.
    Crackberry should have a contest of a sort about this. Perhaps one that involves leaving an e-mail of the date you think it'll show up. Then when it does, the winner would be chosen (or closest one). Although if more then one chose the same answer, then simply one of them would be randomly chosen as the winner.
    10-11-11 05:42 AM
    You know, I like your thinking.
    Crackberry should have a contest of a sort about this. Perhaps one that involves leaving an e-mail of the date you think it'll show up. Then when it does, the winner would be chosen (or closest one). Although if more then one chose the same answer, then simply one of them would be randomly chosen as the winner.
    What a great idea! Can we please do this? I don't even care if there is a prize, I only want bragging rights!
    10-11-11 06:33 AM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    very soon! should be amazing!!
    10-11-11 06:43 AM
    RIM doesn't even know.. when it's ready.
    "When its ready" sounds great. But, that phrase has been used as an excuse for some pretty heinous software delays: see for example, Duke Nukem Forever (15 year delay).
    JBenn911 likes this.
    10-11-11 06:49 AM
    haha didn't check back on my post until someone liked my pool idea... i'm sure there are online sources of keeping track of pools, like the one for my football pool. pay up and you get your entry - that sort of thing. i wonder what RIM would think of such an idea!
    10-11-11 10:21 AM
    haha didn't check back on my post until someone liked my pool idea... i'm sure there are online sources of keeping track of pools, like the one for my football pool. pay up and you get your entry - that sort of thing. i wonder what RIM would think of such an idea!
    If the rim ceo's went for sometime late in 2012 they'd probably make more than selling pb's!!!!
    10-11-11 10:58 AM
    My guess is that it will be ready for release at DevCon. I don't know about Android Player nor do I care about it. I would actually prefer if there was no such thing as an Android Player and developers actually used the NDK.
    10-11-11 11:07 AM
    "When its ready" sounds great. But, that phrase has been used as an excuse for some pretty heinous software delays: see for example, Duke Nukem Forever (15 year delay).
    It's probably just not ready yet. Do you want a good Duke Nukem, or one that's been rushed...?

Edit: OH, it's available now! (I'm not a gamer). See? 15yrs went by like nothing.
    Last edited by jhimmel; 10-11-11 at 01:21 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-11-11 01:16 PM
    It's probably just not ready yet. Do you want a good Duke Nukem, or one that's been rushed...?

Edit: OH, it's available now! (I'm not a gamer). See? 15yrs went by like nothing.
    15 years and it stunk.

Just saying "when its done" guarantees nothing.
    10-11-11 02:36 PM
    Whether it comes out next week or next year is no longer an issue for me since it will not save the Playbook. Once prices of playbooks have been cut in half, you cannot increase them again with any credibility. So the 2.0 software is only relevant to RIM, to make sure developers have a QNX product to aim at. That is why there will be a 2.0 release, not because a lot of us are unhappy with the tablet. I think RIM wanted a massive beta test market, let all the complaints roll in on missing features etc, and then roll them out in 2.0 onwards. Certainly they have been in no rush to stem the negative press of the Playbook. Quite the reverse. IMHO of course.....
    FF22 likes this.
    10-11-11 02:53 PM

It's time for RIM to kick *** and chew bubble gum... and crackberry nation is all out of bubble gum!
    10-11-11 05:40 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD