I felt like snapping my Playbook in half not too long ago. Reason being the security wipe is secretly a software self destruct button.

I upgraded my Playbook to OS 2, like many others, but my install was not so smooth. After playing with it a bit, I noticed that some of the apps such as Podcasts did not update and were the same as the 1.08 versions. I backed up my Playbook and did a security wipe. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER!

Security wipe got rid of a good amount of the factory installed apps, so I did the unbricking trick to get them back. THAT FAILED TOO. All I got was the pre-installed wallpapers, music, video back.

Why is it so destructive? Is there a way to fix this nightmare?
    02-23-12 06:30 PM
    Ok, what apps are you missing that where factory installed?I am just finishing a smooth wipe and restore.
    02-23-12 06:36 PM
    A security wipe will put the PB back to "out of the box" condition. After you do a security wipe you will have to re-install all you apps in App World and put any files you had back.

Prior to the update I moved all my music, videos and documents to my PC and when I saw the update was here I did a security wipe. After the PB re-booted and I setup my BBID and WiFi it installed the update. I have not had any problems at all. I think it's a good idea to do this. I might be a little more time consuming but once you're done it's smooth sailing.
    ultra07 likes this.
    02-23-12 06:40 PM
    I felt like snapping my Playbook in half not too long ago. Reason being the security wipe is secretly a software self destruct button.

I upgraded my Playbook to OS 2, like many others, but my install was not so smooth. After playing with it a bit, I noticed that some of the apps such as Podcasts did not update and were the same as the 1.08 versions. I backed up my Playbook and did a security wipe. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER!

Security wipe got rid of a good amount of the factory installed apps, so I did the unbricking trick to get them back. THAT FAILED TOO. All I got was the pre-installed wallpapers, music, video back.

Why is it so destructive? Is there a way to fix this nightmare?
    You must be doing something wrong or the hardware's defective. A security wipe should wipe clean the hard drive, then install a fresh version of the OS along with all the default apps. It's really a factory reset of the PB that should always work flawlessly. It should always be available as fallback for any problems.

I also suspect a wifi connection problem or disruption during security wipe, as the reinstall of the OS occurs during this process and via the wifi connection.
    Last edited by RF8655; 02-23-12 at 06:47 PM.
    02-23-12 06:45 PM
    After doing a few searches just now, it seems like I am missing the apps because of my region. I bought the Playbook and activated in the USA, upgraded in the Caribbean, and so I've lost some stuff. Typical RIM crap.
    02-23-12 06:50 PM
    After doing a few searches just now, it seems like I am missing the apps because of my region. I bought the Playbook and activated in the USA, upgraded in the Caribbean, and so I've lost some stuff. Typical RIM crap.
    Really..... blaming RIM for your mistake. Nice!!!
    02-23-12 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD