hey I just noticed that new pictures taken after deleting some unneed ones are being placed into the gaps is this new behavior on 2.1 or was it always like that?
    10-06-12 09:52 AM
    Seems that it's new with 2.1. Don't believe it was there even in the beta 2.1.
    10-06-12 09:57 AM
    hey I just noticed that new pictures taken after deleting some unneed ones are being placed into the gaps is this new behavior on 2.1 or was it always like that?
    Yes this is indeed an annoying change. My digital cameras by Nikon & Canon use sequential numbering but don't go back to fill in the gaps in the sequence when you delete some pictures then take some more new ones.

Why the PB programmers chose this new numbering system is beyond me. It is non-intuitive. It is also quite frustrating when you are looking for a recently taken picture and you don't find it at the end of the photo list, it is somewhere else on the list in between a couple of other unrelated list.

This problem is compounded by the fact that the pictures app doesn't permit us to specify how to sort the photos, e.g., by date, by name, by type, by size etc.

Now, if this a serious problem for you, I suggest trying the "Files and Folders" app. It's a paid app in AppWorld ($2 I think). It allows you list files by name, by icon and by thumbnail, and these views can be sorted by date created, date modified, type, extension, size or name, and each of these can be in ascending or descending order. IMHO, these options should be included in the native pictures app, as well as the videos app, the music app and the native file manager.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    10-06-12 10:15 AM
    Yeah this is pretty crazy. My camera pics do show up in the camera folder as they should (I believe someone said theirs didn't) but then I have to scroll around to find them. Ah well....most things are working as they should for me so hopefully RIM will address the issues I do have at some point. I have a feeling this might be it for awhile tho.....hopefully we don't have to wait until BB10 but it wouldn't surprise me if we do.
    10-06-12 10:32 AM
    Totally agree. They should fix it.

I have another one. I installed Kayak (the airline planning android app), and the file explorer fetches all the cached images that come from the /misc/android/.kayakimages folder. Pretty annoying. I had to delete the app and wipe out that folder to stop getting the endless picture file listing with irrelevant images.
    10-06-12 11:00 AM
    Totally agree. They should fix it.

I have another one. I installed Kayak (the airline planning android app), and the file explorer fetches all the cached images that come from the /misc/android/.kayakimages folder. Pretty annoying. I had to delete the app and wipe out that folder to stop getting the endless picture file listing with irrelevant images.
    I had a similar problem under OS 2.0 with the android app for the Wall Street Journal. I loved this app but it stored a truck-load of irrelevant and unwanted pictures that basically took over my PB Pictures app. I only used the app a few times and there were hundreds if not thousands of picures, including numerous instances where the same photo was repeated 3, 4, 5 times in different sizes. I deleted the app and the pics were still there. Can't remember how I got rid of them; might have done a security wipe.
    10-06-12 11:15 AM
    There is no need to do a security wipe if you can find the folder that has the cached images.

After removing the app, I mounted the PB to my laptop, went to mount_point_folder_here/media and run: find . -name "*.jpg" -type f

That should give you a hint on what folder has those irrelevant images. After identifying the folder you can just rm -fr folder_to_go_away

Use with care.
    10-06-12 11:39 AM
    Just finished updating from .668 to the .1032 this morning. I haven't looked much except to see if some of the things I noticed before were still working. Regarding File Manager's Pictures I still get the following even after the OS update.

If you go to File Manager and into Pictures then open up the search and key in either a . (period) or an _ (underscore) you will go to the very bottom of the pictures where your most recently taken pictures are. Photos, screenshots, and downloads. From the last one taken and in the time order you took them, even the ones with the jpg numbers that are using previously deleted picture numbers because of the update. And scrolling up from there will still take you from the newest to the oldest pictures you've taken.

Anywhere in the File Manager's Pictures when you use of a , (comma) in the search and then delete it will still take you back up to the top where the oldest to newest Pictures begin.

The messing up of the sequence back in the Home Screen Pictures area is, nonetheless, a problem especially for those who have a lot of pictures.

I would agree with those who've posted that no pictures are disappearing due to a jpg number being automatically saved over with new pictures due to the update.

btw When in your email you can still select attachments and then go into File Manager's Pictures and select all the ones you want and in any order you want them. They will still attach in the selected order to the email.
    10-06-12 01:06 PM
    I renounced using the PB file manager the very day I found a real one that also did photo preview and slideshow.
    Actually there are a couple of them that handle previews and allow you to sort, name etc., the fastest being "File Browser" (I use it); for a real slideshow in addition I'd suggest "Files and Folders" which does previews/sorting/renaming too but has a slower startup time.
    Both are definitely worth the couple of $/€ investment, and you'll rapidly forget BB filebrowsing abysmal silliness.
    10-06-12 02:37 PM
    There is no need to do a security wipe if you can find the folder that has the cached images.

After removing the app, I mounted the PB to my laptop, went to mount_point_folder_here/media and run: find . -name "*.jpg" -type f

That should give you a hint on what folder has those irrelevant images. After identifying the folder you can just rm -fr folder_to_go_away

Use with care.
    What computer system provides those commands?
    10-06-12 03:42 PM
    What computer system provides those commands?
    i'm curious as well, as my fiancee used my playbook, and now i have 12 calender pages in my pictures that i cannot delete.
    10-06-12 03:56 PM
    i'm curious as well, as my fiancee used my playbook, and now i have 12 calender pages in my pictures that i cannot delete.
    That would appear to be GNU/Linux or any UNIX type shell interface...
    10-06-12 04:24 PM
    It seems like that OS'es camera counter got reset in the upgrade but the developers were smart enough to make sure that newly saved images aren't overwriting previously saved images, thus the behavior you're seeing, newly saved images in the counter gaps. A fix would be to keep snapping shots until you get to the counter number you want and delete the miscellaneous images you just took.
    10-06-12 04:30 PM
    When i find the pictures on desktop manager, and try to delete them, i get a message:

Error. Cannot delete.
    Access denied

WTF.
    10-06-12 05:40 PM
    Good thing I only had 1 pic on mine lol.
    10-07-12 12:20 AM