Hello all

Can anyone tell me when we could expect a normal version of playbook os 2.1? Android apps get struck many times. So in os 2.1, android apps run in different windows so it means if one app gets struck then other keep on running without any problem. Am I right?

Thanks
    08-17-12 03:11 PM
    Yes, you're right. What's also true is that android apps are much less likely to "get stuck". Most of us running OS 2.1 beta are normal people, not developers.
    08-17-12 03:41 PM
    So.....devs aren't normal????
    08-17-12 04:00 PM
    I always thought they were "special".

OP: there's been no officially announced release date. You'll have to go Beta or simply wait like the rest of us "normal" people.
    08-17-12 05:28 PM
    Use the beta it's good and normal. Dev's are real special don't feed them after midnight.
    08-17-12 05:55 PM
    LOL. You don't have to be a developer to run developer firmware and apps. Atleast thats what it was for me with iOS and Android.

If you don't want to bother with beta then just wait like us. Technically I'm waiting for BB10 for my playbook and JellyBean for my phone.

How do you update to beta software though? I forgot
    08-17-12 07:33 PM
    Tried more than once to get the OS2.1 but for some reason I never get the download icon. I suspect it's not available for us abnormals outside the US and Canada.

Not a developer, btw
    08-17-12 07:50 PM
    LOL. You don't have to be a developer to run developer firmware and apps. Atleast thats what it was for me with iOS and Android.

If you don't want to bother with beta then just wait like us. Technically I'm waiting for BB10 for my playbook and JellyBean for my phone.

How do you update to beta software though? I forgot
    https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/register

Register your Playbook's pin here and it should be automatically pushed you your Playbook. In my opinion the new update is stable enough for everyone to use. Haven't noticed any major bugs. Good luck
    08-17-12 07:56 PM
    But what happens when 2.1 non-beta is released? Do you have to do a security wipe in the event the two versions are not compatible?
    08-17-12 08:04 PM
    But what happens when 2.1 non-beta is released? Do you have to do a security wipe in the event the two versions are not compatible?
    Nope it should install over it just like any other update.
    08-17-12 08:08 PM
    While some will tell you it should be no problem to update when the official comes out, be aware that there have been instances where a wipe and reload has been needed in past updates of this type. Not saying it will be necessary for you, just want you to be aware that it might happen.
    08-17-12 08:24 PM
    I could care less about having to wipe for the 2.1 official.

It's been a long time coming and it will be greatly appreciated
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    08-17-12 09:55 PM
    Tried more than once to get the OS2.1 but for some reason I never get the download icon. I suspect it's not available for us abnormals outside the US and Canada.

Not a developer, btw
    You won't get the download notification. You need to go into settings/software updates, then click "Check for Updates". You'll probably have to re-register first.
    08-17-12 10:17 PM
    Haha normal means a noob like me :P I think i should install a beta version too because These days rim is busy in postponing their OS, already facing big losses. Thanks all for the info
    08-17-12 11:00 PM
    While some will tell you it should be no problem to update when the official comes out, be aware that there have been instances where a wipe and reload has been needed in past updates of this type. Not saying it will be necessary for you, just want you to be aware that it might happen.
    Eh, why worry about something that is most likely a long way off. Or "soon" in Rim vernacular! And recall, we still have a bit more than a month of Summer - plenty of time.
    Todor Ninov likes this.
    08-18-12 01:18 AM
    Update is slow. It's more than 3 hours and still it is 87%
    08-18-12 02:20 AM
    Update is slow. It's more than 3 hours and still it is 87%

It took me 3 hours to get to 50%...

Then, it was bed time and i cancelled it ^^

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-18-12 02:30 AM
    Pushing beta updates has become the norm or to say "normal" for RIM nowadays. The latest update is quite good. go for that.
    08-18-12 03:27 AM
    Okay the update has been done. Android apps are acting like native apps nice.
    Thanks all

Anyone tried Skype on 2.1? Is it working?
    08-18-12 04:07 AM
    The feedback on Skype is negative.

Not yet!

08-18-12 06:53 AM
    No. Devs make me feel like I'm chiseling on a rock when I think about what they do. So, it's easier for me to think of them as very abnormal than it is to look at my own ignorance. I like to think that any and all issues I have with my Playbook is either RIM's fault or an evil developer. But, I haven't really experienced too many issues at all with my awesome Playbook, my Bold or my favorite apps.

I read these forums with a tear on my cheek.....not.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-18-12 07:47 AM
    Can someone recommend one of these high falutin Android apps for me to try please?

I want to see what's so neat about them.

THX
    08-18-12 07:49 AM
    The feedback on Skype is negative.

Not yet!

Skype will never work as an Android port. The app contains native Android code which is not supported in the Android Runtime
    08-18-12 10:58 AM
    I do QA for a living so I don't usually go for beta software outside of work.

But... I really wanted the portrait mode email feature so I registered on Thursday night and installed 2.1.0.840 the following morning.
    Ultimate To-Do List requests access to some resources and then dies.
    All other applications passed the smoke test.
    Android environment update is a clear win.

Best thing though is portrait mode PIM apps, especially email.
    Playbook is too wide in landscape mode for comfortable typing.
    Galaxy nexus even in landscape mode is too small.
    Playbook in portrait mode fits nicely in my hands and the keys are big enough for speed and accuracy.
    Not specific to the upgrade but I also subjectively observe that the word-completion AI is better on the Playbook OS than on Android Jelly Bean.

Thanks RIM!
    08-18-12 01:48 PM
    Skype will never work as an Android port. The app contains native Android code which is not supported in the Android Runtime
    I'm just saying that, since Skype is so requested, maybe sometime it'll be on available for the PB.

Don't know when, of course.

08-18-12 02:34 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD