Don't hate me... I love everything BlackBerry.

Isn't anyone besides me a little curious what happened to OS 2.1 for the PlayBook? I know the Beta is out there, I have even tried it, but uninstalled it because it was buggy (for me).

It's just that September is on us and 2.1 still hasn't dropped. This should have been a minor update, and I honesty assumed it would be out in June/July at the latest. Now, I normally would just suck it up and wait... but can RIM possibly release a *bug-free* BB10 on a new piece of hardware in January/February if they haven't even been able to release 2.1 on a *mature* product (the PlayBook). Heck, even the 4G PlayBook doesn't have 2.1.

I'm just wondering if there is more going on than the typical RIM slowness to market???

There are just way too many things I can still do on my PlayBook that I should have been able to do back in April 2011.
    08-29-12 12:12 PM
    You pretty much stated the reason why 2.1 isn't out yet. RIM is stretched to their limits trying to release a bug free BB10 for next year. They've likely got a skeleton crew working on 2.1 so that's why it's taking so long. Add to that the fact that 2.1 will be replaced in 2013 by BB10 and you can see why they're not dedicated much resources to it.
    08-29-12 12:19 PM
    You pretty much stated the reason why 2.1 isn't out yet. RIM is stretched to their limits trying to release a bug free BB10 for next year. They've likely got a skeleton crew working on 2.1 so that's why it's taking so long. Add to that the fact that 2.1 will be replaced in 2013 by BB10 and you can see why they're not dedicated much resources to it.
    Yeah, but isn't BB10 and OS 2.x really the same thing? How can BB10 function bug free if the foundation on which it is based (2.x) is still not bug free? I think they're working on the two together, because they are really the same thing.
    08-29-12 12:22 PM
    OS 2.1 and BB10 are not really the same thing. 2.1 would be a incremental update on the PB OS. More and more i think that bb10 and the PB OS while they are similar at the core are going to be quite different in the end that what we currently see on the PB. its almost not worth spending time on the current OS and instead work on getting bb10 out. The PB will get updated with that anyway.

Testing bb10 is done mostly via the alpha device i would think
    08-29-12 12:32 PM
    What we are seeing on the Dev Alpha is pretty much an enhanced PlayBook 2.x OS right now. There is a lot that will translate over to BB10 when released, but a lot of the features that we would expect to see integrated into BB10 (keyboard, camera, app cards, menus, BBM) are not on the Dev Alpha yet. Hopefully, the Dev Alpha will start looking more like BB10 as the release date gets closer.

That being said, a lot of the BB10 improvements can probably be brought over to the current PlayBook OS, although it may take some added work to get the bugs out (hence 2.1 beta). I figure the Android Player changes were something that was being developed for BB10 and has been making its way to PlayBook.

It'll be really interesting to see what BB10 changes come to the PlayBook!
    08-29-12 12:49 PM
    As long as they don't bring over the disgustingly slow Adobe Air UI from the Playbook...
    08-29-12 12:55 PM
    It will come when it is ready, just be patient.

You waited about a year for 3 new apps and an android player, 3-6 months won't hurt.

Am i right?
    08-29-12 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD