I don't know what's wrong with me. The update works fine for me - web, YouTube, my converted videos, email (except the problem with Yahoo contacts which I think was caused by Yahoo) - everything working well here. I think there are so many variables in what we put on and use our Playbooks for that we get a wide range of results. Sorry for those having issues and I hope you get them resolved.
    10-27-12 12:54 PM
    Stupid question, but will this update affect my sideloaded apps??
    10-27-12 01:03 PM
    I'd like to know if you can still sideload apps after this update too.

From what I have seen in this thread, any apps you have sideloaded seem to work (have a look at the thread) but I've not heard of anyone sideloading a new app since this update.

Harry
    10-27-12 01:06 PM

From what I have seen in this thread, any apps you have sideloaded seem to work (have a look at the thread) but I've not heard of anyone sideloading a new app since this update.

Harry
    thanks, i am new to the playbook and not sure whether to go for the update or not.
    10-27-12 01:09 PM
    thanks, i am new to the playbook and not sure whether to go for the update or not.

Harry
    It hasn't affected my sideloaded apps. So I'd say, no, it won't adversely affect your sideloaded apps.
    10-27-12 01:59 PM
    Anyone have trouble with HDMI out? Never had trouble before this update - today tried for the first time after the update and get audio, can't get video out. Tried hard reset and playing with the settings, no luck.
    10-27-12 02:02 PM
    Which 2.1 did you go back to and what is the desk top plug in? Thanks.
    Hi...2.1.01 or so I thought....turns out all I did was restored files to earlier time (about two weeks ago) but that involved a restart of system and every is working fine now....it is indeed the 2.1.0.1088 still installed...just confirmed. Hope this helps, convoluted as it is.
    10-27-12 02:16 PM
    This really does baffle me.

Why are people reporting different things happening to their Playbooks after the OS upgrade?

Are all BlackBerry Playbooks made with the same internals - or are some made in different manufacturing plants that use different chipsets?

I can understand perhaps a 3rd party application stopping working after an OS update - RIM can't possibly check every 3rd party app for compatibility...

However, some people have reported the front facing camera has stopped working. The camera? Built into the device? Put there by RIM?

I can't see why that would stop working after a RIM approved OS update to hardware that they made - and only affect some devices.

Then again, upgrading the OS from 4.2 to 4.5 on my 8800 stopped the blue tooth working. Apparently this only happened on Hungarian made 8800s. I guess back then they used different chipsets in different plants around the world. The only way to fix this was to downgrade the OS back to 4.2. There was never any fix for this published by RIM.

If RIM really are using different chipsets (or the hardware is different depending on the factory it was made in) then they should have learned from past mistakes and tested the OS with all of the chipsets that they use. This isn't like a PC where the user can customise their own hardware which, as we all know, can cause problems. This is supposed to be hardware made and put together by RIM - so they should know what is in the secret sauce recipe.

For the front facing camera to stop working after an OS update is just unacceptable - and the fear of that happening to mine is putting me off installing the new OS. I think the video function of the Playbook is a fantastic application.

Anyone know why there are so many variable results reported after the OS upgrade, because I'm baffled as to why that would be the case.

Harry
    FF22 likes this.
    10-27-12 02:23 PM
    This really does baffle me.

Why are people reporting different things happening to their Playbooks after the OS upgrade?

Are all BlackBerry Playbooks made with the same internals - or are some made in different manufacturing plants that use different chipsets?

I can understand perhaps a 3rd party application stopping working after an OS update - RIM can't possibly check every 3rd party app for compatibility...

However, some people have reported the front facing camera has stopped working. The camera? Built into the device? Put there by RIM?

I can't see why that would stop working after a RIM approved OS update to hardware that they made - and only affect some devices.

Then again, upgrading the OS from 4.2 to 4.5 on my 8800 stopped the blue tooth working. Apparently this only happened on Hungarian made 8800s. I guess back then they used different chipsets in different plants around the world. The only way to fix this was to downgrade the OS back to 4.2. There was never any fix for this published by RIM.

If RIM really are using different chipsets (or the hardware is different depending on the factory it was made in) then they should have learned from past mistakes and tested the OS with all of the chipsets that they use. This isn't like a PC where the user can customise their own hardware which, as we all know, can cause problems. This is supposed to be hardware made and put together by RIM - so they should know what is in the secret sauce recipe.

For the front facing camera to stop working after an OS update is just unacceptable - and the fear of that happening to mine is putting me off installing the new OS. I think the video function of the Playbook is a fantastic application.

Anyone know why there are so many variable results reported after the OS upgrade, because I'm baffled as to why that would be the case.

Harry
    Excellent questions for which I'm sure we will never get any official reply from Rim. It is nice that Rim appears to acknowledge some problems since they seem to be fixing camera issues after warranty expiration - although I would not count on that but that is what some are reporting. They may be different components in different builds.

On the 9900 (9930??), there are threads where folks who have had to replace screens have to match a specific screen Serial Number (batch number) or else the replacement will not work. So, clearly, there must be circuit differences if a "standard" part like a screen cannot just be replaced by another "standard" screen. There must be similar inherent differences that are not manifest in appearance.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    10-27-12 03:14 PM

Harry
    Yes, you can still sideload apps. And you most likely will be able to continue to do so into perpetuity as RIM has never stated that they would block that feature. Rather, it's been various hysterical actors here on the forums and elsewhere who have perpetuated this myth.

RIM did take steps to curb app piracy - by encrypting the backup file and tying new AppWorld downloads to specific BB ID's (thus making them impossible to share with others). However, sideloading was never in the cross hairs since it had nothing to do with the source of the problem (extracting BAR files from the backup image) and because banning it would have made it far too difficult for devs to test their code on real hardware. And we all know that the last thing RIM can afford right now is to alienate the dev community, so...

Bottom Line: Sideload away!

RCK
    10-27-12 03:53 PM
    I got 75MB update for Singapore
    Mine was 127mb??
    10-27-12 03:56 PM
    Hope it at least fixes the keyboard delay, that would be great
    Nope. As bad as ever for me.
    10-27-12 04:00 PM
    The best thing about the 2.1 update was the text via bridge. But the lose of playing converted videos files, viewing of videos on the Web, the whole lag in typing that occurs randomly, and the shutting down of the browser also random, outweighed the gain.
    Not sure if I will chance this update.
    May just roll back to the 2.0OS and wait for BB10
    These issues didn't change. In fact the bridge and text lag issues only got worse for me...grrrrr!
    10-27-12 04:05 PM
    For those with browser issues, there have been varying reports of websites working and not working. Try toggling Javascript and/or Flash OFF on the first load of the website then toggling them back ON and doing a page reload. It may solve your problem.
    10-27-12 04:22 PM
    Lost ability to transfer data after upgrade to .1088. USB and Wifi data transfer no longer works.
    10-27-12 06:30 PM
    Wow, some people are saying in the blogs post that they lost everything or battery life is worse. Some even believed it. I don't trust those people because the only question remains: did they even make a darn backup? I guess not. I don't have everything on this tablet. I haven't been experiencing any such issues. Strange as to how some have. No device is oerfect I guess.
    10-27-12 06:30 PM
    Wow, some people are saying in the blogs post that they lost everything or battery life is worse. Some even believed it. I don't trust those people because the only question remains: did they even make a darn backup? I guess not. I don't have everything on this tablet. I haven't been experiencing any such issues. Strange as to how some have. No device is oerfect I guess.
    Yeah, it does seem a bit strange. In my case, there has only been improvement through and through with this latest update. My battery life is substantially better than before and performance seems to be better. Who knows why some people are being affected negatively. There is the possibility that some of those people don't even own a PB and are just trying to spur ill will towards the PB.
    10-27-12 06:41 PM
    I'm thinking those people are plainly trolling. Or it's multiple accounts used by one person to seemingly look legit. It gets me thinking about that, it's happened on the internet so many times, even youtube.
    Yeah, it does seem a bit strange. In my case, there has only been improvement through and through with this latest update. My battery life is substantially better than before and performance seems to be better. Who knows why some people are being affected negatively. There is the possibility that some of those people don't even own a PB and are just trying to spur ill will towards the PB.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-27-12 06:55 PM
    Anyone have trouble with HDMI out? Never had trouble before this update - today tried for the first time after the update and get audio, can't get video out. Tried hard reset and playing with the settings, no luck.
    Was my Onkyo receiver not the PB. When I had the trouble mind asks "whats different" and that's where I went incorrectly. Now I know my receiver has a known problem with losing the HDMI cable after being on for long hours, oh joy!
    10-27-12 07:20 PM
    Updated yesterday.

When I am reading the news and select continue to read it kicks me back to bookmarks..
    Never get to finish the articles.
    10-27-12 10:04 PM
    Nice one RIM

Great battery life, Wi-Fi strength stronger, most bugs gone, running really sweet now!

t
    Same here
    10-27-12 10:18 PM
    Browser memory getting worse.....keep shuting down after doing multi tasking...
    10-27-12 10:20 PM
    I see so many complaining, yet I have yet to see many of these issues... as far as browser memory or even memory in general... Yesterday I had the PSX emulator in the background, and was actively using IM+ and the browser with 4 tabs open. No complaint.
    10-27-12 11:12 PM
    Actually ... 243 on my 64gb PlayBook and 79mb on my daughters 32gb PlayBook.
    _________

I don't understand this. Why the difference?
    10-28-12 12:31 AM
    Was my Onkyo receiver not the PB ... has a known problem with losing the HDMI cable after being on for long hours, oh joy!
    What model is that? (I have an SR308 AV Amp with builtin tuner, never noticed anything of the sort!)
    10-28-12 06:37 AM
216 ... 6789