I bought my PB back before OS 2.0 was released and waited with like a child on Christmas Eve for its release.. The fact that you would finally get Contacts, email, calendar etc. Kept me going through the long nights of having to carry around clumps of paper with phone numbers or actually write letters to people instead of email them... Way to go RIM... Finally I feel like I'm in the 21st century.... Now.. Some months on... The considerable cracks are showing in this pointless update..

What's the point in being able to have android apps, but have to side load the best ones, instead of being able to get them off App World... And even when you do sideboard them, the majority of them crash again and again...

Google apps anyone? Where the he'll are any of the Google apps? Other than being side loaded.. In fact where are any decent apps? Every time I go on app world it's filled with pointless crap... At stupidly expensive prices..

RIM.. That's for the native apps.. Now try adding some useful features.. Like editing bookmarks.. Contact groups.. Being able to link multiple contacts at the same time... A better music player... Or ate least have the ability to have certain apps constantly loaded..with icons on the task bar...

Is it just me.. Don't. Get me wrong the price is great and I love the device, but a lot of this stuff should have been sorted out by now!!
    04-11-12 04:38 PM
    Um, playbook doesn't run Web OS. It runs QNX. Web OS is HP (or Palm until HP bought them over) and was on the Palm/HP Pre, the HP TouchPad and one or two other Palm/HP smartphones. It's also effectively dead, it was open sourced and the division of HP responsible for its development shut down or something like that.

But to address the actual stuff you raised: This is the same stuff people have been complaining about and have been discussed many times.
    04-11-12 04:44 PM
    The point of PlayBook OS 2 was to include native messaging instead of relying on bridge. I'm sure RIM was caught off guard by the backlash they got, so OS 2.0 was all about fixing that backlash.

I think the Android Player is more a carrot. There aren't many native PlayBook apps to draw people in, but Android does have some apps that would make people want to get an Android device for. That ended up being the final selling point for me. Now I really want nothing to do with Android apps, and I'm happy enough with the core apps and native ones, but it at least got me to take another look.
    Toodeurep and coverk like this.
    04-11-12 04:48 PM
    The point of PlayBook OS 2 was to include native messaging instead of relying on bridge. I'm sure RIM was caught off guard by the backlash they got, so OS 2.0 was all about fixing that backlash.

I think the Android Player is more a carrot. There aren't many native PlayBook apps to draw people in, but Android does have some apps that would make people want to get an Android device for. That ended up being the final selling point for me. Now I really want nothing to do with Android apps, and I'm happy enough with the core apps and native ones, but it at least got me to take another look.
    I've looked and looked and can't find the native messaging app. I know of the email app and video chat app, but nothing like an SMS app.

The email app is called "Messages", but there doesn't seem to be any kind of SMS functionality within it.
    04-11-12 05:06 PM
    These pretzels are making me thirsty.
    04-11-12 05:10 PM
    diegonei likes this.
    04-11-12 05:13 PM
    I bought my PB back before OS 2.0 was released and waited with like a child on Christmas Eve for its release.. The fact that you would finally get Contacts, email, calendar etc. Kept me going through the long nights of having to carry around clumps of paper with phone numbers or actually write letters to people instead of email them... Way to go RIM... Finally I feel like I'm in the 21st century.... Now.. Some months on... The considerable cracks are showing in this pointless update..

What's the point in being able to have android apps, but have to side load the best ones, instead of being able to get them off App World... And even when you do sideboard them, the majority of them crash again and again...

Google apps anyone? Where the he'll are any of the Google apps? Other than being side loaded.. In fact where are any decent apps? Every time I go on app world it's filled with pointless crap... At stupidly expensive prices..

RIM.. That's for the native apps.. Now try adding some useful features.. Like editing bookmarks.. Contact groups.. Being able to link multiple contacts at the same time... A better music player... Or ate least have the ability to have certain apps constantly loaded..with icons on the task bar...

Is it just me.. Don't. Get me wrong the price is great and I love the device, but a lot of this stuff should have been sorted out by now!!
    (1) webos is for HP/Palm's touchpad, not RIM's Playbook.
    (2) Android does not equal to Google apps. Kindle Fire does not have Google apps.
    (3) If you sideload Android apps and those android apps work perfectly --- then it's not RIM's problem. It is the idiotic android developers who didn't even bother to spend 20 minutes submitting their android apps to RIM's appword.
    (4) If you sideload Android apps and those android apps crashed and crashed --- then that's not RIM's problems either. Those android apps aren't suitable to be repackaged to the Playbook's android player in the first place.
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    04-11-12 05:38 PM
    WOW, just plain WOW......do you really own a PlayBook??
    04-11-12 05:45 PM
    Somebody call the waaambulance.
    04-11-12 05:49 PM
    (1) webos is for HP/Palm's touchpad, not RIM's Playbook.
    (2) Android does not equal to Google apps. Kindle Fire does not have Google apps.
    (3) If you sideload Android apps and those android apps work perfectly --- then it's not RIM's problem. It is the idiotic android developers who didn't even bother to spend 20 minutes submitting their android apps to RIM's appword.
    (4) If you sideload Android apps and those android apps crashed and crashed --- then that's not RIM's problems either. Those android apps aren't suitable to be repackaged to the Playbook's android player in the first place.
    I agree with your post except for the highlighted part. Please be nice to developers. There are all sorts of reasons why a developer might not support a free app on your favourite device. It really is sometimes a lot more trouble than it's worth to support RIM's implementation of the Android emulator. Most developers have a sense of pride in what they do - if they are listening to you lot slag developers and RIM, they might be getting the wrong impression about PB. Please try to be constructive when you are putting down people like the OP. Nothing personal, but your attitude is not helping either.
    04-11-12 08:22 PM

Dear OP,

True, RIM is very slow in getting us, the user all the necessary features and apps. Let the fanboy argue about your post and nitpicking your typo and use of words but the normal users with opinions knows better.

Actually nowadays the fanboy in Crackberry is so sensitive and will flame anyone with opinions to ashes.

I am a PB user also and I know how you feel. I also hated the waiting game just to be able to use it like other branded tablets.

But the truth is I love PB and I feel that you and I have an understanding.
    04-11-12 08:45 PM
    If one more person on here says they don't care that we don't have apps because they don't use them I fear may explode leaving a bloody sticky mess all over my screen. When RIM wake up and realise that no mainstream purchasers (except us few stupid enough to buy into the dream on day one) have bought a PlayBook because it doesn't do the stuff others are doing with their tablets so we can't join their club, then maybe some people would buy the tablet based on something more than price. Wouldn't it be great to have the choice not to use them?

And if one more person says it's great value when I paid �550 because I trusted RIM would deliver it shall explode once more and double the screen mess. It only became cheap when nobody bought it.

The final insult was when the sexy new messaging app only works if you set it up separately from your bridged blackberry connection which defeats the object of being a loyal BB user.

I wish I could visit this forum and leave inspired or with hope but it's a fanboy-run wasteland for the disillusioned. Breaks my heart to see the best hardware platform and the best thought out framework for a killer device become a niche product which doesn't capitalise on its fabulous features with software to set it above the rest.
    Gouk, hackerguy, FF22 and 13 others like this.
    04-11-12 09:53 PM
    common man relax.. you just paid a premium coz you wanted to be the first one to own it.. happens with everything.. i paid 3x the price for my PS3.. games are still not cheap as the xbox and lacks a lot of features.. but i know what I got the ps3 for and it's serving me well..

Pretty much the same with the Playbook... i feel you just being greedy and wanting everything on it.. at the same time you're missing out on all that there is..

i mean you gotta be foolish to think that the playbook would be a good replacement for a mainstream consumer tablet because who ever said that the playbook was a mainstream consumer tablet.. It's really not.. BlackBerry has always been business oriented and the multimedia features are just for some sidelined entertainment for business users.. because even they listen to music and watch movies and play some games on and off..

Thanks to the playbook my app usage has cut down and ive realized that apps are such a drag.. none of the useful ones are genuinely free.. and they just waste more time.. get me engrossed in petty things for the app developers to make money..

The radio app is a good example of this.. Prior i had a radio app which was first bought (considering radio has always been free for the world).. secondly it provided me with features like sharing and searching which are entertaining but really a waste of time.. My radio app took over 8-12 minutes of time for me to finish off all things and leave the playbook idle to play songs.. search, explore, share, read, etc. (because it's there).. not with live365.com my time wasting has cut down to 45-60seconds to just goto a radio station for the mood and let it just play.. the browser multi-tasks.. registration is free.. choice is unlimited..

Apps like the native ones are all useful.. every other type of app (besides specific use with some purpose) are all just a waste of time..

People need to start developing websites much more than the hype on apps. Coz websites are 'truly universal'..
    NightSlayer likes this.
    04-12-12 12:38 AM
    WOW, just plain WOW......do you really own a PlayBook??
    Doubt it if he doesn't know the difference between web os and QNX. Maybe he thought he was on the HP Forums?

Anyway, in before the lock. Oh, and don't forget to rate the thread appropriately.
    04-12-12 01:16 AM
    It's been claimed over and over again by some here that QNX/PlayBook Tablet OS is just WebOS copycat, having "borrowed" the swipe gestures, the general look and feel, etc...
    Bakamushi and axeman1000 like this.
    04-12-12 01:32 AM
    OP:

A brave post, considering you knew you would be flamed by all the middle-aged men who can't handle criticism.

The Playbook, as you have discovered, is the BlackBerry Storm all over again. Around 4 years ago, I was one of the suckers that bought into the Storm hype, just like you bought into the Playbook hype. Of course, the initial reviews on the Storm sucked, as they did on the Playbook.

"Don't worry" the "insiders" here screamed - it's Awesome! Of course, it came out and sucked. Then the "insiders" claimed VZW screwed up the software, and we'd all get a new version within days that would make it "magical". 3 or 4 months later a new version came - it sucked. Many versions came since that day - and the Storm still sucks.

Of course, the same folks as above, would immediately crucify anyone that dared criticize the Storm, just as they do to you.

The only good thing to come out of the Storm is that I learned my lesson hard, and didn't fall for the Playbook hype.

I'd recommend you sell your Playbook now - you can get a bit of your money back on ebay or craigslist, with which you can pick up an old iPad 1 or cheap Android tablet, and then wait till next year to see if RIM has finally "got it".

Regardless, don't expect a lot of apps. Even if they fix the OS, developers have lost interest. Look at how hard it is for WP7 to get a decent top-tier app selection going. It's not going to be any easier for RIM.
    kennyliu, bodjor, brucep1 and 7 others like this.
    04-12-12 02:33 AM
    OP:

A brave post, considering you knew you would be flamed by all the middle-aged men who can't handle criticism.

The Playbook, as you have discovered, is the BlackBerry Storm all over again. Around 4 years ago, I was one of the suckers that bought into the Storm hype, just like you bought into the Playbook hype. Of course, the initial reviews on the Storm sucked, as they did on the Playbook.

"Don't worry" the "insiders" here screamed - it's Awesome! Of course, it came out and sucked. Then the "insiders" claimed VZW screwed up the software, and we'd all get a new version within days that would make it "magical". 3 or 4 months later a new version came - it sucked. Many versions came since that day - and the Storm still sucks.

Of course, the same folks as above, would immediately crucify anyone that dared criticize the Storm, just as they do to you.

The only good thing to come out of the Storm is that I learned my lesson hard, and didn't fall for the Playbook hype.

I'd recommend you sell your Playbook now - you can get a bit of your money back on ebay or craigslist, with which you can pick up an old iPad 1 or cheap Android tablet, and then wait till next year to see if RIM has finally "got it".

Regardless, don't expect a lot of apps. Even if they fix the OS, developers have lost interest. Look at how hard it is for WP7 to get a decent top-tier app selection going. It's not going to be any easier for RIM.
    With Windows 8, it's going to be actually much easier for MS than for RIM. Developers will have to develop for Windows 8.
    04-12-12 02:38 AM
    common man relax.. you just paid a premium coz you wanted to be the first one to own it.. happens with everything.. i paid 3x the price for my PS3.. games are still not cheap as the xbox and lacks a lot of features.. but i know what I got the ps3 for and it's serving me well..

Pretty much the same with the Playbook... i feel you just being greedy and wanting everything on it.. at the same time you're missing out on all that there is..

i mean you gotta be foolish to think that the playbook would be a good replacement for a mainstream consumer tablet because who ever said that the playbook was a mainstream consumer tablet.. It's really not.. BlackBerry has always been business oriented and the multimedia features are just for some sidelined entertainment for business users.. because even they listen to music and watch movies and play some games on and off..

Thanks to the playbook my app usage has cut down and ive realized that apps are such a drag.. none of the useful ones are genuinely free.. and they just waste more time.. get me engrossed in petty things for the app developers to make money..

The radio app is a good example of this.. Prior i had a radio app which was first bought (considering radio has always been free for the world).. secondly it provided me with features like sharing and searching which are entertaining but really a waste of time.. My radio app took over 8-12 minutes of time for me to finish off all things and leave the playbook idle to play songs.. search, explore, share, read, etc. (because it's there).. not with live365.com my time wasting has cut down to 45-60seconds to just goto a radio station for the mood and let it just play.. the browser multi-tasks.. registration is free.. choice is unlimited..

Apps like the native ones are all useful.. every other type of app (besides specific use with some purpose) are all just a waste of time..

People need to start developing websites much more than the hype on apps. Coz websites are 'truly universal'.
    not relevant.
    04-12-12 02:46 AM
    not relevant.
    Altering another member's post to further your personal agenda is, or should be a major rule breaker. If you did what you just did on my forum, you'd be history pal.
    04-12-12 02:59 AM
    It's not altered, there is just a line over the same text, it's like highlighting without modifying.

Hence your commentary is also irrelevant.
    kennyliu, brucep1, husnimd and 2 others like this.
    04-12-12 03:06 AM
    It's been claimed over and over again by some here that QNX/PlayBook Tablet OS is just WebOS copycat, having "borrowed" the swipe gestures, the general look and feel, etc...
    When I originally said the above, I was only reporting what I've seen others post ad-nauseum... I wasn't actually agreeing with those idiots or taking their side...
    04-12-12 03:12 AM
    "When you're trying to optimize user experience that juggles multitasking, multiple apps open at once and on a small screen, you're going to get people landing on similar kinds of designs" RIM's Jeff McDowell. March 2011. Couple years after webOS
    04-12-12 03:32 AM
    You hit the nail right there. Thank you on behalf of the non fanboy users.

If one more person on here says they don't care that we don't have apps because they don't use them I fear may explode leaving a bloody sticky mess all over my screen. When RIM wake up and realise that no mainstream purchasers (except us few stupid enough to buy into the dream on day one) have bought a PlayBook because it doesn't do the stuff others are doing with their tablets so we can't join their club, then maybe some people would buy the tablet based on something more than price. Wouldn't it be great to have the choice not to use them?

And if one more person says it's great value when I paid �550 because I trusted RIM would deliver it shall explode once more and double the screen mess. It only became cheap when nobody bought it.

The final insult was when the sexy new messaging app only works if you set it up separately from your bridged blackberry connection which defeats the object of being a loyal BB user.

I wish I could visit this forum and leave inspired or with hope but it's a fanboy-run wasteland for the disillusioned. Breaks my heart to see the best hardware platform and the best thought out framework for a killer device become a niche product which doesn't capitalise on its fabulous features with software to set it above the rest.
    04-12-12 04:11 AM
    OP:

You give the OP far too much credit.

You don't own a Playbook?

One thing I have learned is you can actually determine more from looking at the "likes" and "thanks" given in this forum than reading the text. Some of you are just sad. I understand you are trying to either build your cred by dishing out the likes and thanks while also padding your post count but please just liking something because it is negative (or positive but that isn't as pevelant) shows the true agenda.
    homer1475 likes this.
    04-12-12 04:15 AM
    Yeah, your right.
    OS2 is very poor and lacking.

And to advertise that it can "run android programs" when it struggles with the majority, and they are a pfaff to load onto the PB (except for a tiny minority which are in the Market) was kinda stupid.

Any finally, yes, it's really lacking in quality choices in the App World for many segments of S/W

A standard DLNA client for one, my wife is telling me it's lacking.

Kinda sad, cos QNX is slick but close to being irrelevant.
    J
    04-12-12 06:44 AM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD