Investors want answers at RIM's developer conference - The Globe and Mail

Looks like we'll be waiting a few more weeks...
    JeepBB, Jake-44 and limabo like this.
    10-17-11 10:10 AM
    So who is this guy and why would he know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the OS is delayed?

Internally, RIM had hoped to get this done in time for DevCon, but in typical fashion, it’s late. The big Playbook relaunch is expected in November.
    Besides, how is something late when there has been no release date set?
    10-17-11 10:14 AM
    oh damn..im waiting so long till cant sleep..and its delayed again
    10-17-11 10:17 AM
    so we were never given a date. sorry but internal an stuff i dont care about unless your able to prove it (hint, you cant). i/we were never given a date for OS2.0, therefore until a date is given it cannot ever be considered delayed
    10-17-11 10:17 AM
    I didn't know that proof "beyond the shadow of a doubt" was required for posting topics here on CB!!! I figured Old Grey was a good enough source.

(FYI: "Old Grey" is a nickname for the Globe & Mail newspaper.)

True: RIM never gave a date. Lots of posts here on CB were suggesting dates in mid-October. I thought today's newspaper report would be of interest to folks here in this forum.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 10-17-11 at 10:22 AM.
    awattwell likes this.
    10-17-11 10:19 AM
    Old Grey isn't enough, especially since the author simply wrote that the update is delayed without offering anything to substantiate that claim. Furthermore, it doesn't help that you are spreading these unsubstantiated claims by taking the word of one author in one article as gospel.
    pmccartney likes this.
    10-17-11 10:22 AM
    Not to be argumentative, I just wanted to point out that I don't think there was ever a definitive statement or explicit date for the release of OS 2.0 - specifically, I don't believe that they explicitly stated it would be released during DevCon.

We know that the organization is undergoing a great deal of internal change, and is under a lot of pressure.

I wouldn't view this as a delay, but perhaps a sign that they have learned their lessons from releasing an update or product before it is ready.

As a Playbook user myself, I can share in the frustrations and I agree that my patience is also running low. I am realistic, however, and I would be supremely satisfied with a well put together preview of the OS presented at DevCon. If it is set to come out in November, that is only a few extra weeks off and it may give the developers and testers a little breathing room to iron out the bugs, and have it in good shape for the rest of us.

This may seem a little overly optimistic, but getting upset about it isn't going to make it come any faster, and it isn't good for your health.

So, tap into the reserve tanks of patience. Good things come to those who wait. Make a list of the free premium apps you plan on downloading! Take solace in the fact that the Leafs are currently 3 - 0. You shouldn't be worrying about OS 2, you should be making plans to attend the parade in June with friends!
    10-17-11 10:24 AM
    I think the millions of copies of the Globe & Mail are already "spreading" this info around. Why shouldn't my fellow CB readers (many of whom may not look at the Globe & Mail regularly).
    FF22 likes this.
    10-17-11 10:25 AM
    I have to agree that we were never given an exact date for 2.0. I also have to agree with he article when saying RIM expected to have 2.0 ready for DEVCON, in that fashion it is LATE. However, expectations from RIM seem to never be met anyways, so no surprise on this one. The only thing at this point is I hope to see 2.0 before next year LOL! I honestly wouldn't be one bit surprised that in November it gets pushed aback again. My suspected time would be early December. Just my opinion.
    10-17-11 10:26 AM
    I didn't know that proof "beyond the shadow of a doubt" was required for posting topics here on CB!!! I figured Old Grey was a good enough source.

(FYI: "Old Grey" is a nickname for the Globe & Mail newspaper.)

True: RIM never gave a date. Lots of posts here on CB were suggesting dates in mid-October. I thought today's newspaper report would be of interest to folks here in this forum.
    It's not. Good post. Looks like some relevant info. Thanks, even though the news is $hit
    UKCatFan3 likes this.
    10-17-11 10:27 AM
    Because there is nothing to spread around. What proof does the author have that the OS is delayed, and as I and others have said, how can something that has no date attached to it be delayed anyway?

It's amazing what people will latch on to. FUD, for sure.
    10-17-11 10:27 AM
    The G&M is an igreylady fan site still whining for a home button for the PB.
    pmccartney likes this.
    10-17-11 10:28 AM
    Looks like some relevant info.
    Can you point out that relevant info, please?
    10-17-11 10:28 AM
    I think the millions of copies of the Globe & Mail are already "spreading" this info around. Why shouldn't my fellow CB readers (many of whom may not look at the Globe & Mail regularly).
    Because here, we only believe, despite everything RIM has done to us that they are actually going to deliver something sooner rather than later, better rather than buggy. Unfortunately, just like Lucy and Charlie Brown, every time we go to kick the football, RIM pulls it away and we are left on our collective butts hoping next time will be different.... Some here actually go on to apologize for missing the ball just because RIM never promised to actually hold it there....

Thanks for posting the link. I hope the reporter is wrong, but it does sound like he has investigated and is confident his sources are correct. I hope not....
    zc1 and jamesjmunro like this.
    10-17-11 10:32 AM
    This is just another typical globe&mail **** on rim article... NEXT....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 10:33 AM
    nope you dont need proof to post unsubstantiated rumors, thats why you see people precede their post title with [Rumor] to make it clear to people that it may/may not be true.

sadly in this case, the RIM Co-CEO`s both said `thereafter` in regards to release date, which means `after devcon` which novemeber is. had they said `at devcon` then maybe youd have a story.
    10-17-11 10:33 AM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Most articles regarding RIM from Globe or Toronto Star is fiction ... Let's here at devcon this week!
    10-17-11 10:36 AM
    Besides, how is something late when there has been no release date set?
    Actually, i dont believe we will ever again be given dates or timeframes for expected releases... As rim has leanred the hard way that (1) we will hold them to it and (2) they cant ever meet the deadlines.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 10:39 AM
    Because here, we only believe, despite everything RIM has done to us that they are actually going to deliver something sooner rather than later, better rather than buggy. Unfortunately, just like Lucy and Charlie Brown, every time we go to kick the football, RIM pulls it away and we are left on our collective butts hoping next time will be different.... Some here actually go on to apologize for missing the ball just because RIM never promised to actually hold it there....
    You may believe this, but I don't. Nevertheless, I don't believe in passing along unsubstantiated claims as the truth, either.

Thanks for posting the link. I hope the reporter is wrong, but it does sound like he has investigated and is confident his sources are correct. I hope not....
    I would love to know what makes you believe the author has investigated anything and is confident that his sources are correct.
    10-17-11 10:42 AM
    I'm sure that RIM wanted to have this ready as close to DevCon as possible. They already missed the summer deadline so it makes sense that they would want to get the Playbook back on track at DevCon and in before the holiday shopping. RIM didn't put up a new definite date because they have horrible track record of missing dates.
    10-17-11 10:42 AM
    So who is this guy and why would he know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the OS is delayed?
    From the article: Chris Umiastowski spent over a decade working as a technology analyst on Bay Street. He now works as an independent analyst and strategy consultant and is blogging from the BlackBerry Developer Conference for the Globe and Mail.

Everyone's using analysts as sources these days (BGR) Nor does he say where he's getting his "November" delay news from. Maybe he will read these forums and re-post his blog
    10-17-11 10:43 AM
    Exactly. He's an analyst. That means that he is guessing.
    pmccartney likes this.
    10-17-11 10:44 AM
    I do wish RIM could replicate what Apple did with iOS 5. They said it would be out on 10/12. It was.

RIM needs to get to a point (planning, management, and marketing) where they can put a stake in the ground for the launch of 2.0. Without their ability to effecitvely manage that project and communicate it effectively, it creates allot of frustration (+fear, uncertainty, and doubt) on behalf of their community.

On the other hadn, why all the negativity towards the OP in this thread? He just posted a link for pete's sake...
    Last edited by Dim-Ize; 10-17-11 at 10:48 AM.
    zc1, Shlooky and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-17-11 10:46 AM
    The author is the guy who covered the earnings call for Crackberry. He is friendly with Crackberry Kevin. I bet that Crackberry Kevin is the source for the November delay.

Rim can never meet any deadline.
    10-17-11 10:47 AM
    As usual, just another analyst spouting doom and gloom about RIM. I'll wait for OS 2.

BTW: My BlackBerry Desktop just upgraded my Bold OS6. Not sure if that is relevant.
    pmccartney likes this.
    10-17-11 10:50 AM
148 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD