You guys are just setting yourselves up for a letdown. Don't expect anything next week and you will be pleasantly surprised if you get something, just saying....
    10-14-11 10:12 AM
    So will it alert us on our playbook to update?
    Eventually yes - but we'll be hearing about it (especially on here) almost instantaneously!
    10-14-11 10:13 AM
    I figured it out.

Devcon is taking place 8 days after Canadian Thanksgiving. OS2 will be released 8 days before US, Thanksgiving, on November 16. There are 37 days between these two days. Split the difference and it is 18.5

See?
    CommanderElvis likes this.
    10-14-11 10:19 AM
    You guys are just setting yourselves up for a letdown. Don't expect anything next week and you will be pleasantly surprised if you get something, just saying....
    Come on man, catch the fever! OS2 Daffy Duck woohoo! woohoo!! woohoo!!!!

Those Apple guys released ios5 on time, but folks couldnt get it, and the few who could, couldnt figure it out, and those few who could, didnt like it. They are already talking about ios6.

OS2 maaaannn!
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-14-11 10:21 AM
    Remember that DevCon is a developer conference, and that RIM stated OS 2.0 would be previewed then and released "shortly after".

I expect 2.0 to be released to developers first, allowing us to make sure our apps work on the new OS. This also happened when the Air runtime was updated to 2.7. As OS 2.0 will probably contain Air 3.0 and Flash Player 11, we'll need time to test and make adjustments, and RIM will need time to review and approve any updates we submit to App World.

My guess is that OS 2.0 won't be pushed out to the general public until a week or two after DevCon ends (20th).

Just an educated guess.

Oh, and it will make toast of course.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 10-14-11 at 10:53 AM.
    ScoobsDM likes this.
    10-14-11 10:41 AM
    Makes sense to me, and means that I will be excited to see the previewed features at DevCon and frustrated to wait two weeks to get them. But hey... what are you going to do, you know?
    10-14-11 10:53 AM
    I am sure RIM is well aware of the usage of the playbook and what needs to be done and when. Not to complicate things, but if you just look at the numbers 'roughly' at crackberry it is self evident proposition as to when OS 2.0 will be released. ( it would be close to insanity to given what has happened over the last few days/week/months to expect otherwise.

Version Posts Views Views/Post
    1.0.1.1710 332 32,641 98
    1.0.1.1746 165 28,178 171
    1.0.3.1868 357 40,689 114
    1.0.5.2304 491 37,528 76
    1.0.5.2342 213 25,724 121
    1.0.7.2650 425 19,973 47
    1.0.7.2670 251 14,513 58
    1.0.7.2942 229 09,153 40
    1.0.7.3312 216 12,504 58
    2.0.0.xxxx XXX XX,XXX XX ---> ??!?.
    10-14-11 11:37 AM
    OS2.0 that will be released on Playbook will work WITH i.e. will be compatible with 9900.The QNX on playbook re release on Tuesday is what we are referring to as OS 2.0.
    i.e. bridging etc will be compatible with the 9900 as there is no reason to expect otherwise.
    Also you can change the countdown on your signature from the countdown to devcon to countdown to OS 2.0 release if you like.

Also the OS 2.0 will not disappoint you unless you expect it will have everything from android player to autocorrect to native email,pim,bbm or wifi a/v sharing, to printing etc, but things that your did not know you were kissing until you get them.
    Dialog of the deaf ...
    Yes PB OS2 will be bridge compatible with 9900 as all phones that were previously.
    No, I don't think that BBX will run on 9900.

OS2 will not disappoint me, as 1.0.7 already meets my needs (if not I wouldn't have bought my PB) any ROBUST improvement gladly appreciated. I whish RIM could avoid wasting time (and probably create new issues, mainly security related) with the dro�d stuff, If I want dro�d, I buy dro�d (many times discussed here); I'm no kid.

I did prefer when we joked about the 18th ...

EDIT : I went back to the root post you answered
    Originally Posted by Jake Storm View Post
    Will 2.0 work on my 9900?
    But you translated ON by WITH ... deaf dialog source, no big deal.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-14-11 at 12:33 PM.
    10-14-11 12:12 PM
    I figured it out.

Devcon is taking place 8 days after Canadian Thanksgiving. OS2 will be released 8 days before US, Thanksgiving, on November 16. There are 37 days between these two days. Split the difference and it is 18.5

See?
    HOLLY S**T ... this means may 18th ? 2012 ? 2013 ???
    mouhahahahahahhahhaaaaaa
    10-14-11 12:25 PM
    I don't see how it's not "finished"? It does what they said it would. It does BBM, it does EMAIL. It doesn't do android which they NEVER said would be instant, and with Google having talks about closing the android market like app world and itunes, it may not make it to the Playbook.

They OS doesn't glitch/flicker/not respond which is typical of an "unfinished" OS. OS1 is a finished working working OS it just has it's downsides, like they all do. People expected more based on what RIM said, but they NEVER said on release instantly after release. Now I'm sure someone will dig up where RIM said this or that, but once again they didn't say RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! They did say EMAIL works when bridged, They did say no native email! so why are people complaining about what they said it wouldn't do.

This is the same reason the IT guys at my company didn't get Playbooks, because they knew they could only get their emails if they had a blackberry, they all have company Iphones.
    It's not the headline aspects you mention above, which I agree with BTW. It is ureasonable to complain about lack of native email when that wasn't on the list, but that's not my point. It's the obviously unfinished aspects of what is there - such as emails underlining spelling mistakes, but not offering a list of replacements; or being able to select cells in the spreadsheet, but there being no cut/paste. There are plenty more examples which have been mentioned in these forums over the months. These aren't bugs, it's just missing functionality.

It's as if RIM decided to halt development at a stable (but half-finished) point in order to get the Playbook to market. And it's those little things that are irritating almost beyond belief!

I'd actually prefer not to to be told that I have spelling mistakes and be in blissfull ignorance when I send email. As it is, it bugs me, and I *have* to manually correct the word by over-typing. It may be just my OCD, but...

So... "unfinished".

I await DevCon with interest.
    10-14-11 01:08 PM
    Remember that DevCon is a developer conference, and that RIM stated OS 2.0 would be previewed then and released "shortly after".

I expect 2.0 to be released to developers first, allowing us to make sure our apps work on the new OS. This also happened when the Air runtime was updated to 2.7. As OS 2.0 will probably contain Air 3.0 and Flash Player 11, we'll need time to test and make adjustments, and RIM will need time to review and approve any updates we submit to App World.

My guess is that OS 2.0 won't be pushed out to the general public until a week or two after DevCon ends (20th).

Just an educated guess.

Oh, and it will make toast of course.
    LOL... the "shortly" word keeps coming back.

RIM actually said "released thereafter" which is an indeterminate time potentially measurable in months, but I appreciate your eagerness to get hold of OS2 and I agree whole-heartedly with your post.

I'd also be very surprised if OS2 were released to world+wife at DevCon, for all the reasons you state.

I've posted my guess of 18th November for the general release in other threads - my cat has the "gift". Giving the devs a month after DevCon to do all that checking and approval you mentioned seems to me about right... but I'd be happy to be proved wrong and wouldn't shun the update if it came earlier.

I look forward to the toast.
    10-14-11 03:48 PM
    LOL... the "shortly" word keeps coming back.
    I've posted my guess of 18th November for the general release in other threads - my cat has the "gift". Giving the devs a month after DevCon to do all that checking and approval you mentioned seems to me about right... but I'd be happy to be proved wrong and wouldn't shun the update if it came earlier.
    I look forward to the toast.
    Kindle Fire is coming out on the 15 th.
    RIM cannot afford to update/re-release the OS after that??!!??

Attendees at the devcon will receive a 16GB BlackBerry Play Book tablet to help kick start the development of their next app and you still think it won't be pre loaded with OS 2.0 BlackBerry DevCon Americas: Registration
    10-14-11 04:13 PM
    OS 2 may come oct 18th but still no apps on os 2 andrioid. Apps I mean

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-11 07:12 PM
    For my part, I seriously hope that RIM doesn't release the update until it is READY and IMPRESSIVE. Otherwise our beloved Canadian manufacturer of the best GTD tools in the world is f&#*^d.
    JeepBB and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-15-11 12:31 AM
    If you look at the thread commenting on certain changes to RIM Beta Zone, I'm pretty sure OS 2.0 won't be released to the general public during DevCon. I wouldn't be surprised though that they announce a close beta for people who want to participate beta testing of OS 2.0...
    10-15-11 01:28 AM
    Kindle Fire is coming out on the 15 th.
    Attendees at the devcon will receive a 16GB BlackBerry Play Book tablet to help kick start the development of their next app and you still think it won't be pre loaded with OS 2.0 BlackBerry DevCon Americas: Registration
    Ermm... I don't think I actually said that OS2 wouldn't be on Playbooks at DevCon.

I'd be pretty certain that the people attending this developers conference will indeed get their free Playbook loaded with OS2... but that isn't a general release. It would be more of a closed beta release to the movers and shakers (devs and press) to try and light a fire under this baby.

I don't expect to see an "official" OS2 on my Playbook until 18th November. And, that's OK, I'm happy to wait for the inevitable bugs to be found and fixed by that Beta Crew before they give it to me!

The cat is never wrong!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-15-11 at 03:57 AM.
    10-15-11 03:23 AM
    For those who wants to know the meaning of thereafter
    Thereafter --> Thenceforth-->From 'that' time forward

(i.e. form the time of Devcon OS 2.0 Will be available)
    from thenceforth - definition of from thenceforth by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Rim did not say sometime later, or a week or month after devcon;
    the word used was 'thereafter'. i.e. from that specific time and onward OS 2.0 will be released.
    RIM hyped up the Android compatibility of the Playbook BEFORE launch.
    They also showed it on Blackberry World. Also on one to one basis they showed how it was running Android apps.

So there is no reason a company they will fail again this time.
    10-17-11 11:26 AM
    Do you understand what speculation is????
    10-17-11 12:21 PM
    Do you understand what speculation is????

Noun
    Speculation(plural speculations)
    --The process of thinking or meditating on a subject
    speculation - Wiktionary
    10-17-11 01:36 PM
    I used to get really amped up about OS upgrades for my BBS phones... and got burned a couple of times with bleeding edge releases that weren't up to snuff. Though, to be fair, most of the two dozen or so updates went great and I never blamed RIM for my impulsiveness.

That was when Blackberry was on the top of the smartphone heap (leading up to the Torch/iPhone 4 release). RIM could do no wrong. Things are different now. I don't own RIM stock, but I do care that RIM continues and improves, if only because it gives us all more choices and drives the market--and phone features--forward. Security is a BIG DEAL, and RIM really has a corner on that market. I also have a special place in my heart for any device that is purpose-built to GTD and that describes RIM's devices.

If Playbook is not updated on or shortly after DEVCON, I will live. It would be a nice surprise, but I'm satisfied that the hardware is not going to be vastly superseded anytime soon, and any change in the OS has to be an improvement over the current setup (for non-bridged users, anyway). Again, I'd rather wait for a **ready for prime-time** update that makes me feel smart for having bought a Playbook on sale.

As you know, the initial release of the Playbook was derided as a rush to market. That may be true if you are a prissy technology blogger who moans about specifications without really examining a device's usefulness, has four phones to chose from, and thinks a current phone is trash when .2ghz is added to the next one... or someone like me who doesn't use a Blackberry phone for the bridge (though I do have an extra one, the greedy BASTARDOS at AT&T can go JUMP IN A LAKE for their desire to add to my already car payment sized bill for a bridge/tether charge, for a device that is purpose built to be an adjunct to a phone). The fact is that the Playbook was perfect for its designed purpose; I just don't think the purpose and vision were sufficiently articulated. People bought them expecting that they would be like the stunted devices sold by Apple, Motorola, and the like (stunted ionsofar as people bought them thinking they would be a computer replacement but, in any case, did function on a higher level than the current Playbook as standalone devices). Imagine the puzzled looks on RIM faces when pre-release reviews decried the lack of cellular radios in the Playbook. "But it isn't SUPPOSED to have cellular radios; that would be redundant of the phone's radios," one imagines; and "why the **** can't our marketing department get ahead of this and explain what we are doing"--maybe marketing tried but the declining state of Blackberry phone hardware and software deafened the ears of the prissy reviewers.

Sadly, RIM lost that battle and Playbook has been on deathwatch for a few months. They are now being forced to incorporate features of the de facto competition or risk alienation and loss of a huge investment, and the competition has a really, really big headstart in almost everything. That's why the OS has to be perfect from the start. If this update disappoints, I doubt many are going to be reading the blogs about Playbooks when the next one is released, and Playbooks will be quickly forgotten as a failed experiment.

It has to be right. No third chances, RIM. DEVCON would be a great time to fix things, but if not, let us see some glowing reviews, please. No embargoes. Long-suffering fans deserve a little sunshine.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-17-11 03:03 PM
    Can this thread be closed? Given what the analysts and moderators are now saying its clear that the OS 2.0 will not be released tomorrow.
    Thank you.
    10-17-11 05:24 PM
    I used to get really amped up about OS upgrades for my BBS phones... and got burned a couple of times with bleeding edge releases that weren't up to snuff. Though, to be fair, most of the two dozen or so updates went great and I never blamed RIM for my impulsiveness.

That was when Blackberry was on the top of the smartphone heap (leading up to the Torch/iPhone 4 release). RIM could do no wrong. Things are different now. I don't own RIM stock, but I do care that RIM continues and improves, if only because it gives us all more choices and drives the market--and phone features--forward. Security is a BIG DEAL, and RIM really has a corner on that market. I also have a special place in my heart for any device that is purpose-built to GTD and that describes RIM's devices.

If Playbook is not updated on or shortly after DEVCON, I will live. It would be a nice surprise, but I'm satisfied that the hardware is not going to be vastly superseded anytime soon, and any change in the OS has to be an improvement over the current setup (for non-bridged users, anyway). Again, I'd rather wait for a **ready for prime-time** update that makes me feel smart for having bought a Playbook on sale.

As you know, the initial release of the Playbook was derided as a rush to market. That may be true if you are a prissy technology blogger who moans about specifications without really examining a device's usefulness, has four phones to chose from, and thinks a current phone is trash when .2ghz is added to the next one... or someone like me who doesn't use a Blackberry phone for the bridge (though I do have an extra one, the greedy BASTARDOS at AT&T can go JUMP IN A LAKE for their desire to add to my already car payment sized bill for a bridge/tether charge, for a device that is purpose built to be an adjunct to a phone). The fact is that the Playbook was perfect for its designed purpose; I just don't think the purpose and vision were sufficiently articulated. People bought them expecting that they would be like the stunted devices sold by Apple, Motorola, and the like (stunted ionsofar as people bought them thinking they would be a computer replacement but, in any case, did function on a higher level than the current Playbook as standalone devices). Imagine the puzzled looks on RIM faces when pre-release reviews decried the lack of cellular radios in the Playbook. "But it isn't SUPPOSED to have cellular radios; that would be redundant of the phone's radios," one imagines; and "why the **** can't our marketing department get ahead of this and explain what we are doing"--maybe marketing tried but the declining state of Blackberry phone hardware and software deafened the ears of the prissy reviewers.

Sadly, RIM lost that battle and Playbook has been on deathwatch for a few months. They are now being forced to incorporate features of the de facto competition or risk alienation and loss of a huge investment, and the competition has a really, really big headstart in almost everything. That's why the OS has to be perfect from the start. If this update disappoints, I doubt many are going to be reading the blogs about Playbooks when the next one is released, and Playbooks will be quickly forgotten as a failed experiment.

It has to be right. No third chances, RIM. DEVCON would be a great time to fix things, but if not, let us see some glowing reviews, please. No embargoes. Long-suffering fans deserve a little sunshine.
    +1 Nice device right now but it can and will be so much better. There has to be some kind of time frame though before it's too late anyway. Lets see what we learn tomrrow.
    10-17-11 07:58 PM
    10-17-11 09:17 PM
    The topic is "OS 2.0 coming next Tuesday," so isn't this the place to address it? At least until midnight. If your delicate optic nerves can't tolerate the discussion, look away.
    10-17-11 10:06 PM
    OK, so what's the excuse now? I Speculate that it ain't coming today... But then again, there are still a little less that 15 hours left of 18 Oct, 2011.
    10-18-11 08:19 AM
125 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD