My major concern is RIM's plan to raise the blackberry name again,especially with the playbook.After OS 2.0,will change come to the playbook's reputation or will we see another fall....

Whats your advice and what would you do if you were the CEO for a day.
    02-13-12 01:17 PM
    I think the PlayBook will finally catch on after 2.0 with consumers and developers.

Just seems the tides are changing, as they always do!
    02-13-12 01:21 PM
    It's going to be a struggle. I don't think any of us have any illusions about that.

The good news is, that the upgrade looks to be good enough that RIM might just be able to "rehabilitate" the Playbook brand and bring a little lustre back to the Blackberry name in general.

I think RIM has already been doing what it needs to do; they pushed back the release to make sure it would be solid. They've made a big appeal to the developer community, and it looks like there will be a major marketing push.

Most importantly, they've met expectations ever since they moved the goalposts last fall.
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-13-12 01:25 PM
    RIM has always had a plan. That's not what was missing. Their real problems are well documented.

If the same writers/bloggers that didn't like the PB (for this, that and the other thing) last April will write a new review, word will spread and people will buy it.
    Basically, as long as the media like it, sales will pick up. Nothing new about that.
    DAnklaud and anon(3896606) like this.
    02-13-12 01:39 PM
    I think the PlayBook will finally catch on after 2.0 with consumers and developers.

Just seems the tides are changing, as they always do!
    tidal changes kick up much sediment, making the waters unclear, as unclear as RIM has been with the "release Date" , so we'll see "when the dust(sediment) has settled"
    02-13-12 02:01 PM
    The plan is the RIM must not get complacent and think that PlayBook OS 2.0 is the answer to their problem.

They must realize that PlayBook OS 2.0 is their opportunity to reintroduce the PlayBook as a viable platform, and the only reason they have this opportunity is because of the very wise decision to go with QNX and leave the traditional BlackBerry OS to go.

That being said, upon release they must absolutely do 2 things as we move towards the PlayBook OS 2.0 to BlackBerry 10 OS (unified OS for tablets, smartphones and more...)
    -recreate, remodel, reinvigorate the BlackBerry experience on BlackBerry 10 OS, everything that is BlackBerry should be ported over to 10 OS with the innovation space to improve existing user experience
    -developer relations and partnerships, we need apps in the ecosystem, content delivery and creation capabilities, let the device capabilities do the talking...one day I would love their slogan to be BlackBerry Can...right now we're in a market where there are too many analysts running with the message that BlackBerry Can't.
    thedark722 and DAnklaud like this.
    02-13-12 02:02 PM
    RIM has always had a plan. That's not what was missing. Their real problems are well documented.

If the same writers/bloggers that didn't like the PB (for this, that and the other thing) last April will write a new review, word will spread and people will buy it.
    Basically, as long as the media like it, sales will pick up. Nothing new about that.
    While I would somewhat agee, I am pretty sure each review will begin with: "The almost one year old pb ...." and go from there. Thereby emphasizing that the hardware is old tech. Rumors of a new model will not help much.
    02-13-12 03:44 PM
    My major concern is RIM's plan to raise the blackberry name again,especially with the playbook.After OS 2.0,will change come to the playbook's reputation or will we see another fall....

Whats your advice and what would you do if you were the CEO for a day.
    It is hard to believe there is a coherent plan regarding the Playbook. Consumer electronics also do not get a second chance with consumers. From my perspective, it is a nice device that will meet my needs, but is also damaged goods as a consumer product. If I was a betting person, I would say that it is more likely to go the route of the HP TouchPad in 12 to 18 months than be a long term tablet line. Sorry, but I prefer realism in business, and nothing RIM has done to date suggests they have a plan to succeed in the tablet market.
    02-13-12 04:17 PM
    It seems very unlikely that a one year old device will suddenly see a big bump in sales because of a software update. Can anyone think of an example of that happening before?

They would need to do a hardware refresh I think.

But, really, I wouldn't worry too much about the Playbook. It contributes very little to the bottom line anyway. I would focus on getting the developer tools complete, and put what cash they have against BB10.
    02-13-12 04:24 PM
    My advice. Nag the out of people like slingmedia, netflix, game companies.etc.. any other big company that I can't think of at the moment.
    02-13-12 04:34 PM
    The plan has already began and fell apart. This is a fact since there has been a change in leadership. BlackBerry is at war to stay alive and you never change the President in time of war. BlackBerry did not get to where they are overnight and it's going to take more then OS2.0 to get out of it. Hopefully the new CEO lets the talented people at RIM dig themselves out of this hole that use to be the leader in smartphone technology. I love the products and will buy BB10 the day it comes out.
    02-13-12 07:05 PM
    I'm glad the PlayBook is getting the long awaited 2.0 update, but it should have been in place at release or shortly there after. Lets face it, RIM dropped the ball on this one, only us diehard Blackberry fans are sticking with the PlayBook and Blackberry brand. However I do believe and hope RIM has more projects underway besides BB10, or its going to be the same thing all over again.....releasing a phone thats 1 year behind current technology. I'm a Blackberry fan for a long time and will continue to use this product because I like it, but reality is reality.
    02-13-12 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD