My sis-in-law has a couple of Apple USB charger. When I replace the USB cable with mine and try charging on my Blackberry Playbook and 9900, it doesn't work! Even if both chargers is rated at 5v, 2.1A!

I tried 2 different types of charger and all doesn't work, but its working on her phone. Why? Are they all supposed to be compatible as long their output is 5v? Are apple chargers only compatible with Apple itself??

- Charles
    Last edited by chaddeus; 03-31-12 at 11:31 PM.
    03-31-12 11:29 PM
    One Question, Why not just use the one that came with the PB?
    03-31-12 11:50 PM
    The playbook may require the correct charging current. I have 1A usb charger that my playbook doesn't reconise.

Makes sense, charger I have is 1.8A which is quite kick in the pants for a small electronic device.
    Last edited by RohrohrohURboat; 04-01-12 at 07:01 AM.
    04-01-12 06:29 AM
    My sis-in-law has a couple of Apple USB charger. When I replace the USB cable with mine and try charging on my Blackberry Playbook and 9900, it doesn't work! Even if both chargers is rated at 5v, 2.1A!

I tried 2 different types of charger and all doesn't work, but its working on her phone. Why? Are they all supposed to be compatible as long their output is 5v? Are apple chargers only compatible with Apple itself??

- Charles
    Original PB charger output 5V 2A
    Rapid Charger PB output 12V 2A

May I know what Apple USB charger can give output 5V 2.1 A ? Because my iPhone 4 charger output 5V 1A and iPad 2 charger output 5.1V 2.1A.
    Never try iPad 2 charger because voltage different.
    04-01-12 07:21 AM
    The iPhone charger doesn't charge the iPad either, but I've used the iPad charger on my iPad and the Playbook just fine.
    04-01-12 09:47 AM
    The first charger looks like this.

The second charger looks like

If I would to plug my playbook to my PC through USB, it shows the plug sign. It will charge the Playbook although its verrrrryyyy slow. WHen I plug to a Apple charger, nothing will happen.

The USB output is only 500mA and it can charge my Playbook so why can't a 1000mA or 2100mA charger not charge this Playbook?

Its as if the Playbook could not detect it OR the Playbook know that its not a RIM charger and thus will not charge.

The reason why I tried it is because I did not bring out my charger with me and want to change it. So I asked my sis-in-law if she could use her charger but it doesn't work!!

- Charles
    04-01-12 09:49 AM
    USB Charging Guide | Anything But iPod

Could the above article explain why Apple Charger will not work on Blackberry? Read the Block USB Charging part.

- Charles
    04-01-12 11:00 AM
    USB Charging Guide | Anything But iPod

Could the above article explain why Apple Charger will not work on Blackberry? Read the Block USB Charging part.

- Charles
    I think PB know that's not PB charger or Laptop/PC USB.
    I can use my iPhone, PB and my wife BB charger to charge my LG GX200.
    04-02-12 12:45 PM
    Posted it probably about a hundred times here, you need a dedicated charging cable to use most usb port charges unless specifically designed for BlackBerry, as they tend to be designed for Apple devices. If you use a charge only cable, the larger Apple charger will charge your playbook.

Just looked at an old thread and noticed a link to a charge only cable from seido.

http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/cbuptr800.htm
    Last edited by robsteve; 04-02-12 at 01:20 PM.
    04-02-12 12:51 PM
    AT&T stores (in the US) sell (or sold) a charge only cable for about $10.00.
    04-02-12 02:38 PM
    I feel for the OP; the original BlackBerry charger isn't compatible with the Apple....sigh.................
    chaddeus likes this.
    04-02-12 03:06 PM
    Actually not only with Apple Chargers but a lot of the so called USB chargers doesn't work also when using with a normal USB cable and a lot of people do not know about this!! Plus how would they know when both looks sooo similiar from the outside?

- Charles
    04-02-12 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD