Hi guys. I recently recieved a 32gb playbook and i think i need help. I transfered a lot of docs on my tablet but they are all scrambled. My question is: could i organise my docs in folders?? That would really help me because i have to study for my exams and i want to do this whenever i have time, anywhere, efficiantly. Please help.
    11-28-12 07:58 AM
    Yes you can. You can get a app like files & folders that will allow you to organize your files. There is also free options such as air browser too.

Tapatalking
    Innovatology likes this.
    11-28-12 08:06 AM
    Yes you can. You can get a app like files & folders that will allow you to organize your files. There is also free options such as air browser too that works well.

Tapatalking

Tapatalking
    11-28-12 08:07 AM
    Thanks alot. I'm getting on it right away.
    11-28-12 08:19 AM
    Thanks alot. I'm getting on it right away.
    Yup No problem.

Tapatalking
    11-28-12 08:22 AM
    Personally I use ES File Explorer (not in App World, must be sideloaded), as it has a few nice features when it comes to having files organized. First of all, you can set it to open to any folder you want by default, so you can have it directly open to the documents folder, or if you prefer, you could create a whole new folder and have it open directly to there. The other nice feature is that, because it is an Android app, it will give you a choice when you're opening files whether you want to open with the default native app, or an Android app for that file type.

As an example, I have installed from App World "qPDF Notes", a PDF reader that lets you annotate PDFs. So whenever I open a PDF via ES File Explorer, it will ask me if I want to open it in Adobe Reader (native) or qPDF Notes (Android). I also have the Smart Office Viewer sideloaded (again, Android app), so whenever I open .doc or .xls files, it offers me a choice between Docs To Go (native) and Smart Office (Android). I find this handy as I'll sometime want different apps, depending on what I want to do with the file (and sometimes it won't display correctly in one app, so I can quickly go back and open it in the other instead).

There are certainly other ways of organizing your files, and other file managers you can use, but this is the way I have found works best for me, so I figured I'd mention it.

The stock file manager app is certainly pathetic in terms of organization. With 30+ assorted PDF, doc and xls files, it becomes a bit of a mess. Let's hope it's better in BB10...
    Relletti likes this.
    11-28-12 08:25 AM
    Personally I use ES File Explorer (not in App World, must be sideloaded), as it has a few nice features when it comes to having files organized. First of all, you can set it to open to any folder you want by default, so you can have it directly open to the documents folder, or if you prefer, you could create a whole new folder and have it open directly to there. The other nice feature is that, because it is an Android app, it will give you a choice when you're opening files whether you want to open with the default native app, or an Android app for that file type.

As an example, I have installed from App World "qPDF Notes", a PDF reader that lets you annotate PDFs. So whenever I open a PDF via ES File Explorer, it will ask me if I want to open it in Adobe Reader (native) or qPDF Notes (Android). I also have the Smart Office Viewer sideloaded (again, Android app), so whenever I open .doc or .xls files, it offers me a choice between Docs To Go (native) and Smart Office (Android). I find this handy as I'll sometime want different apps, depending on what I want to do with the file (and sometimes it won't display correctly in one app, so I can quickly go back and open it in the other instead).

There are certainly other ways of organizing your files, and other file managers you can use, but this is the way I have found works best for me, so I figured I'd mention it.

The stock file manager app is certainly pathetic in terms of organization. With 30+ assorted PDF, doc and xls files, it becomes a bit of a mess. Let's hope it's better in BB10...
    E's file explorer is a really good app. Another poster just referred it to me and its good. I use it to stream school related videos to my playbook from my box and dropbox accounts. I wish they would put it into app world for those who don't side load.

Rim should be Ashamed of themselves with that stock file manager.

Tapatalking
    11-28-12 08:31 AM
    As has been noted, you need 3rd party apps to make use of Folders to organize your docs or pictures, etc. The native apps tend to totally ignore folders and present everything in one long list. Making it hard to find any type of file (biology notes, polisci notes, etc).
    11-28-12 09:30 AM
    Files & Folders is a popular one:
    11-28-12 10:09 AM
    Files & Folders is a popular one:
    Nice bit of self advertising there
    Innovatology likes this.
    11-28-12 10:37 AM
    Ghost Commander is my favorite. It can do nearly everything that ES File Explorer can do (no cloud access like ES) plus it does not need to be sideloaded like ES does, since it's in app world, plus it is a dual pane file explorer so moving files from one folder to another is a piece of cake, and lastly, you can go into settings to change the size of pic thumbnails and print (ES is very limited here). Plus, it's free.
    GooseberryFool likes this.
    11-28-12 12:21 PM
    Main reason I prefer ES is I feel the interface is nicer (I use a themed version I converted myself), plus being able to start it in a specific location (i.e. my documents folder). Plus, it's also free, and I don't see being in App World as much of an advantage over sideloading. But to each their own.
    11-28-12 04:04 PM
    I've gone through a number of file explorers and I would endorse Files & Folders as the best for my needs and an excellent choice. Key is to think about how you want to use. It might make sense to start with a freebie, learn what you like and don't like, then make a choice. But, you can't go wrong with Files & Folders.

Sent from my Playbook
    Innovatology likes this.
    11-29-12 07:34 AM