I'm shopping around for an Android tablet for my son, While his sister and I are dedicated BlackBerry users he remains, in his own words an "Android kind of guy" I was thinking about an ASUS Eee Pad, opinions?
    03-19-12 10:31 AM
    I'm shopping around for an Android tablet for my son, While his sister and I are dedicated BlackBerry users he remains, in his own words an "Android kind of guy" I was thinking about an ASUS Eee Pad, opinions?
    If I were in your situation I would ask my son? As a parent, you are missing a teaching moment. He should do his own research and this is not the place to do it. Just my two cents.
    03-19-12 10:37 AM
    Spend a little more and go Transformer Prime. Twice the ram and quad core processor. It will also get ICS before the Eee Pad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-19-12 10:47 AM
    http://androidcentral.com/

Best place for the answers you seek. Unless you need advice on trying to convert him to berry.

My2cents.
    03-19-12 10:51 AM
    Spend a little more and go Transformer Prime. Twice the ram and quad core processor. It will also get ICS before the Eee Pad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Bugged Wireless and GPS receiver due to metal backing design flaw... stay away from the Prime!

Eee Pad Transformer has ICS already btw....

You should have more luck geting Android tablet feedbacks from the Android forum though....
    Last edited by RicThot; 03-19-12 at 10:55 AM.
    howarmat likes this.
    03-19-12 10:53 AM
    Get him an iPad3 and then get yourself the next interaction of the PlayBook.

Then (I hope) tell us the tale of the son that kept borrowing your tablet...

Buzz is right. He really should learn to do his research and fan sites such Android Central and Crackberry will give very biased information.

Stick to needs, wants and specs. If it does what you need, provides what you want and has the specs you feel good with, buy it.
    wenbecker likes this.
    03-19-12 11:04 AM
    Don't be too excited about the Tegra 3. Nvidia is going to replace it as soon as it can for reasons listed here: Why Nvidia will rush to Tegra 4 as fast as it can | ExtremeTech
    03-19-12 02:02 PM
    Bugged Wireless and GPS receiver due to metal backing design flaw... stay away from the Prime!

Eee Pad Transformer has ICS already btw....

You should have more luck geting Android tablet feedbacks from the Android forum though....
    Is this bug confirmed or are you speculating?
    03-19-12 02:13 PM
    Original transformer is good. I love mine. And it has ics like mentioned. They are releasing a 7 inch ics pad soon too that I would maybe hold out for
    03-19-12 02:14 PM
    Is this bug confirmed or are you speculating?
    Confirmed.

Official Updates from ASUS -Transformer Prime Issues

Asus starts rolling out fix for Transformer Prime GPS bug - Notebookcheck.net News

Not sure how the plan to fix this via a software update but they are trying (in vain IMO)...

Family member has the Eee Pad transformer (not prime) wuthe keyboard/extra battery thingy and loves it... and honestly, there's no need for a quad core 1.5ghz yet, no Android apps takes advantage of this (yet).

I'd wait to see what the competition will bring instead of rushing for a "next-gen" rushed device.

Cheers
    03-19-12 05:54 PM
    I use a toshiba thrive and love it. The acer's and asus are good as well. The positive about the thrive is the replaceable battery and full size ports. (You can also use a ps3 controller with it.) The only tablet to have those. I've been using it since July without any issues. My wife and daughter have Acer a100's and they have had no issues as well.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    03-19-12 06:31 PM
    If he likes to tinker, you can get a touchpad on the cheap. Pretty decent specs and though it comes with web os, he can tinker and install android as a dual boot.

There's great support for both OS, you can install gingerbread or icecream sandwich (still in beta testing but available).
    03-19-12 07:06 PM
    The galaxy 8.9 wifi was pretty good, but like every android tablet I've used, its jerky, buggy software just didn't satisfy. The Prime was the same way. Never rooted any of my android tab let's though, so its possible there are some killer roms that make them smooth.

Love my playbook but app selection is horrendous. Definitely not good for a kid.

Stay away from the touchpad. Loaded an android rom in dual-boot (cyanogen) but was also very buggy and slow.
    03-19-12 07:37 PM
    If your son is still a kid, then buy him android or ipad because he/she will surely use it for gaming
    Otherwise let him/her choose.
    03-19-12 08:47 PM
    My tp android release works as good as my playbook. I'm on Version 7.1 alpha 2.5

Stay away from the touchpad. Loaded an android rom in dual-boot (cyanogen) but was also very buggy and slow.
    03-19-12 10:05 PM
    If your son is still a kid, then buy him android or ipad because he/she will surely use it for gaming
    Otherwise let him/her choose.
    Good point. At the moment there are hardly any games on the PlayBook. I would be quite satisfied if EA brings Shift 2 to the PlayBook, but I've also played to exhaustion a lot of games on my iPod touch.

Not sure how great Android is to iOS for games, but if he calls himself an Android guy, he probably won't be disappointed by the selection.
    03-20-12 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD