Hello to all crackberry users, I been analyzing rim movements for a little while and a thing there is not gonna be a new playbook in about one year or maybe more, what I thing is rim is gonna try to get the cellphone market because rim realized that unfortunately there's no place for a new tablet and there is definitely no place for a "new" software like qnx.

Comment I wanna know your opinion
    05-07-12 08:34 AM
    My opinion is that i trust the photos and sightings of the Playbook 4G over some random guy called Keithy who has supposedly "analysed RIM's movements" but doesn't supply any information of what exactly this means, or how he came to this conclusion.
    05-07-12 08:41 AM
    My only comment would be to improve your Grammer!!!
    Since you like to point out others mistakes, it's "grammar". So there..

And tomcat, i think keith might have been talking about a new pb after the 4g coming out this summer? At least i hope so, cause theres been quite alot of evidence of the pb 4g.

I don' t consider a pb with a radio a "new" playbook. Do you? To me, a new playbook would be a 10" device, or a playbook with some new features, specs, or operating system.
    MrBugMan likes this.
    05-07-12 08:58 AM
    Not sure what you're referring to by "new", but there is definitely more evidence for a 4G PB than not. If you mean a new form, possibly. I can't read minds so I have no idea.

As far as QNX goes, it's definitely not new and it's time for further employment is now.

BTW, I would also refrain from thread titles that imply a fact like that, unless you have irrefutable evidence to back it up
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-07-12 at 09:15 AM.
    05-07-12 09:11 AM
    Quick points:

- QNX is the basis of BB10, so RIM would appear to believe there is a place for it

- RIM is going to try to "get" the cell phone market regardless, as that is their primary market and has been for ~10 years

- If you're going to tout an argument based on an analysis you did, you're supposed to provide a rundown of that analysis; without showing your work you're just another anonymous poster on the Internet
    05-07-12 09:21 AM
    Heck maybe I'm wrong but I agree with the guy, I think RIM is probably more concentrated on getting bb10 ready that a new pb.
    05-07-12 09:34 AM
    Hello to all crackberry users, I been analyzing rim movements for a little while and a thing there is not gonna be a new playbook in about one year or maybe more, what I thing is rim is gonna try to get the cellphone market because rim realized that unfortunately there's no place for a new tablet and there is definitely no place for a "new" software like qnx.

Funny...I've also been 'analyzing' RIM by gobbling up every piece of info I can.

As others have stated there is definite evidence pointing to a 4G playbook. Sorry, but that's as far down that rabbit hole as I went. I'm happy with mine and don't want to get the 'buyers' remorse, so I avoid details about what's new in the 4G.

"new" is a bit of an overstatement about QNX. It has been around for a while and is probably being used in your car today, or the planes you ride, etc...

As for me, I've been reading what I can because I'm curious where tech is going. I have an old 9650 phone that has become possessed by the cell phone gremlins (sorry, I fed them after midnight) and as such am looking for a new phone. From what I can see getting a new phone right now is a bad proposition, regardless of which OS you prefer. There are 'supposedly' new flagship devices to be announced / released by the end of the year seeing as how that's approx. 6 months out I can wait it out (I found a good priest for exorcisms).

I *want* a BB10 device and I *want* BB10 on my playbook. Up until last week I was very close to jumping ship to the iPhone, but now I'm hesitant.

As it stands now I'm using my PB for everything but calls / texts and from what I read the 2.1 update will bring text to the PB via the Bridge app, which will help to extend my phones life as I'll just use it for a phone.
    MrBugMan likes this.
    05-07-12 09:51 AM
    I have no inside info from RIM so I won't pretend to know what they're going to do. I'm not sure what you mean by "new" either. Looks promising for the 4G. After that, no one knows for sure except RIM...not even you. Inflammatory titles cause needless problems in here. That IS a fact.
    world saviour likes this.
    05-07-12 09:54 AM
    I have nothing to base this on but I think RIM will release a new Playbook at some point. However, if they do so before certain key apps are released at the same time, such as netflix, skype, and kindle then it will meet the same fate as the original.

For that reason, I think it likely we may not see one until BB10.
    05-07-12 09:58 AM
    The least amount that a "new playbook" would entail, would be a Playbook that has some feature or features that the current selection of playbooks do not have. a 128gb version, a 4G version, a 9.7 inch version...

so based on that there WILL be a new Playbook almost certainly, with the 4G version.

As for RIM trying to expand and grow in the Tablet market, well that's almost a certainty as well. As Android and Apple and now even Microsoft begin to produce phones and tablets with complimenting features, designing them to work together, the Tablet/Mobile phone markets are merging into one, and no company will survive if it focuses solely on one or the other.

The Thing is, that RIM have a Tablet, and while it isnt the best supported Tablet on the market, support is now filtering down. BB10 will only strengthen this. And right now BB10 handsets are RIM's priority. Updating their Handsets to give the users who love their Blackberry all the features they have come to love, but also including many new things other brands offer to attract a wider audience. Once BB10 is Launched, and the QNX support is bolstered to a sufficient level, there is no reason why RIM wouldn't launch a Playbook 2, and conversely every reason they should. However whether it would be Branded as Playbook, given the current public and retail view on that particular branding remains to be seen.

Like i stated earlier, Tablets and mobiles are now being designed to be used in conjunction with one another, a move on which RIM was very much ahead of the game. probably too far ahead some may say as many people still don't see the benefit of the Bridge aspect. but as it becomes mainstream, RIM already have years of experience with making the two devices work in unison as one device, which will give them the edge.

Following this logic, New Playbook versions, even if its renamed, are most certainly going to be in RIM's future. and Just because BB10 Launch coming up has all their attention right now, doesn't mean they have forgotten about the Tablet market.
    05-07-12 10:19 AM
    Wow, this thread goes straight to the schitter without taking a breath. Has it occured to anyone here the OP is not a native English speaker? Nice going guyz.
    05-07-12 10:25 AM
    Not only do I disagree but I would put money on the fact we will continue to see ya let's from Rim and possibly a 10 inch as well. Osbb found this in the dev alpha os......
    # R044 – Nevada0x8400270A,1
    # R051 – Winchester2 LTE0x0c001a06,1
    # R052 – Winchester2 HSPA+0x0d001a06,1
    # R053 – Winchester2 LTE HSPA+0x0e001a06,1
    # R061 – Colt0�04002307,1
    # R072 – London0�04002607,1
    # R073 – Blackforest0�04002706,1
    # R084 – Nashville0x8500270A,1
    # R085 – Naples0x8600270A,1

These are upcoming devices we have 4g playbook and a ten inch playbook here.
    05-07-12 10:38 AM
    Thor at BBW already stated that the 4G playbook will be released at the end of the year.To go along with the increased processor power, I am hoping for the screen resolution to receive a nice/significant upgrade. The screen is already great on the playbook, but need to keep pushing forward. More apps should be there as well.
    Tomcat_Alley likes this.
    05-07-12 10:42 AM
    Since you like to point out others mistakes, it's "grammar". So there..

And tomcat, i think keith might have been talking about a new pb after the 4g coming out this summer? At least i hope so, cause theres been quite alot of evidence of the pb 4g.

I don' t consider a pb with a radio a "new" playbook. Do you? To me, a new playbook would be a 10" device, or a playbook with some new features, specs, or operating system.
    The PB 4G is new with new specs. 1.5 Ghz and will have a newer OS with new features. I'm sure it won't release with OS 2.0.1 but I could be wrong on that because our current OS has plenty of signs that it already supports it.
    05-07-12 10:47 AM
    True, There was that glitch or something where one of the US carriers, Sprint or Verizon I think it was, Had their own tab in appworld for some users...
    I figured that would be because app store wont work unless connected via Wi-Fi, so there was going to be a 3G section added for smaller apps available on the go, or something along those lines.
    Did that ever get explained or resolved?

And don't forget, that time one of crackberry members bought a 4G Playbook on Ebay and promptly returned it to RIM...
    05-07-12 10:58 AM
    I think the 'tweaked' 4G playbook with OS 2.1 is coming out soon. One strategy to raise the selling price of a new pb may be to sell it beside the current pb.

Then, staying with the concept of mini playbook phone, a new redesigned pb will arrive around the same time as BB10

They have to make a '10 inch' pb - once the ecosystem is ready for it.
    05-07-12 11:13 AM

What is your basis? What kinda data did you study to reach your conclusions?
    Rim has found a market for a qnx tablet. Its in the auto market. The 4g PB will really add value to that market.
    There is still a lot of room left in the tablet market. Everything to date including the ip3 still leaves a lot to be disired. Hardware and software is coming out slowly to put tablets to where they could become. My opinion is Rim is going to change how we look at tablets and their use.
    This will not be first time. Rim didn't bring the smartphone to market. They changed how the market saw the smartphone. The BlackBerry took it over with business. Now think about making your control panel portable.
    For yrs the BlackBerry has been a step trying to do that. As close as it came it was still far off. The java bbos just doesn't have a lot of friends to play with. Hardware builders isn't building things with java os. Put on top of this Rim's security and you have limitions.
    What's helping the PB is Rim owns the OS that's running things like autos. More people are coming on board. Rim bought this market so no building is required..
    05-07-12 11:18 AM
    I think they can do both at the same time since bb10 is basically the qnx the playbook is already running on. Playbook is already amazing in my opinion, just use your phone to tether if you can't wait for the 4G version.
    05-07-12 11:30 AM
    4G Playbooks have a faster processor, and likely the inclusion of NFC and will launch with OS 2.1 (hopefully) by the end of next month. These are indeed new devices, even though they have the same form factor.
    05-07-12 11:36 AM
    My crystal ball says they will. Also if you think they should stop with QNX and go back to bbOS you might as well shut the doors now.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    05-07-12 11:49 AM
    Rim has found a market for a qnx tablet. Its in the auto market. The 4g PB will really add value to that market.
    05-07-12 12:02 PM
    The PB 4G is new with new specs. 1.5 Ghz and will have a newer OS with new features. I'm sure it won't release with OS 2.0.1 but I could be wrong on that because our current OS has plenty of signs that it already supports it.
    The only appreciable difference between the current PB and the 4G is (aside from the wireless hardware, of course) is the 1.5GHz processor over the current 1.0. I think there's at least an outside possibility that if Playbooks are going back into production (already back? who knows at this point?) that they'll eventually receive the faster processor.

I suspect that the 2.1 OS upgrade will coincide with the 4G tablet release, though it's not impossible that RIM will wind up holding off until BB10. The carriers may actually have more to say about that than RIM itself.

The dev alpha has a higher screen resolution than the PB does. I'd also go out on a limb and say that RIM will maybe bump up the screen spec to to match that as well.
    05-07-12 01:06 PM
    Great. Now, we attack people for bad grammar probably due to the poster not being a native English speaker. How lovely.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 05-07-12 at 01:44 PM.
    Barljo likes this.
    05-07-12 01:28 PM
    My only comment would be to improve your Grammer!!!
    maybe the OP is ESL? (English Second Language)
    Heck maybe I'm wrong but I agree with the guy, I think RIM is probably more concentrated on getting bb10 ready that a new pb.
    they should be . 10" PB should be at the VERY back of their minds right now. Get BB10 phones and OS up and running first before coming out with new devices
    Not only do I disagree but I would put money on the fact we will continue to see ya let's from Rim and possibly a 10 inch as well. Osbb found this in the dev alpha os......
    # R044 � Nevada0x8400270A,1
    # R051 � Winchester2 LTE0x0c001a06,1
    # R052 � Winchester2 HSPA+0x0d001a06,1
    # R053 � Winchester2 LTE HSPA+0x0e001a06,1
    # R061 � Colt0�04002307,1
    # R072 � London0�04002607,1
    # R073 � Blackforest0�04002706,1
    # R084 � Nashville0x8500270A,1
    # R085 � Naples0x8600270A,1

These are upcoming devices we have 4g playbook and a ten inch playbook here.
    i thought that these were a list of not only up and coming but also names that they have trashed as well??

Thor at BBW already stated that the 4G playbook will be released at the end of the year.To go along with the increased processor power, I am hoping for the screen resolution to receive a nice/significant upgrade. The screen is already great on the playbook, but need to keep pushing forward. More apps should be there as well.
    with the Ebay sightings too there is a lot to prove that the Faux-G PB will come out this year
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-07-12 01:34 PM
    To the OP, it is likely we won't see a new gen Playbook (I am not talking about 3G/4G versions of the first generation) any time soon. Maybe if/when BB10 phones prove to be successful and gain some market share.

As for QNX, it is used ubiquitously in many devices around us. Also, it is the basis for the new BB10 OS that RIM is counting so much on. If BB10 is no more, RIM will most likely cease to exist as well. But QNX will stay nevertheless.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 05-07-12 at 11:28 PM.
    05-07-12 01:36 PM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD