A 10 inch PB with a keyboard will almost be a laptop, defeats the purpose in a way. The current PB almost fits in my pocket and kicks arse all day long, the size was one of the biggest reasons I got it.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-12-12 12:57 PM
    There's nothing wrong with RIM offering a 10 inch PlayBook, so long as everything can be scaled correctly. Personally I would not go for a 10 inch PlayBook, I'd rather hang on with the 7 inch form factor because it works better for my uses.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-12-12 01:00 PM
    I personally am not against the idea of a 10" PB as long as there is a business case for it.
    I however think RIM would need to overhaul a few design issues.
    The back would need to be redesigned. The 7" PB is so dull from the back.
    The plastic may be great for heat dissipation (mine still gets quite warm) and grip but it is so so cheap.
    Who decided all it needed was the camera (no flash) and the BlackBerry logo only? All that design canvas begging for a touch of creativity/class/well placed labelling?
    I know we spend little time looking at the back but come on.
    I looked on as people exclaimed the the BB10 Dev Alpha is like a mini PB and cringed when I looked at my Torch.
    Such small things.
    05-12-12 01:22 PM
    I personally am not against the idea of a 10" PB as long as there is a business case for it.
    I however think RIM would need to overhaul a few design issues.
    The back would need to be redesigned. The 7" PB is so dull from the back.
    The plastic may be great for heat dissipation (mine still gets quite warm) and grip but it is so so cheap.
    Who decided all it needed was the camera (no flash) and the BlackBerry logo only? All that design canvas begging for a touch of creativity/class/well placed labelling?
    I know we spend little time looking at the back but come on.
    I looked on as people exclaimed the the BB10 Dev Alpha is like a mini PB and cringed when I looked at my Torch.
    Such small things.
    See! Image and style are everything to some people. The PB is all about function-over-style rather than a fashion statement. Sad to say, most people won't bother to consider such a product unless it appeals to them physically. If it appeals to them, they will try it out. If they try it out, they will like it. And this is where RIM needs to evolve the most.

I prefer the looks and style of the current PB now after using one and seeing how well they are. They sit flat on a table and stay put, they don't move around while you are swiping the screen. But that wasn't the case when I first saw one. Upon first glance I thought it was the poorest attempt at a tablet I ever saw. Such wide bezels and the squarish design wreaked of laziness to me. And it wasn't until I was actually forced to settle for a PB that I discovered the actual intelligent design put into it. Not only that, but I saw clearly the bravado and courage RIM took in putting out the PB as it is.

I'm certain the big wigs at RIM knew well enough that a pretty product has more of a chance to sell. Yet they chose to put function before form so that the could equip the PB with the best UI ever created. This required wide bezels around the screen making the screen look really small compared to the body. Unfortunately most people won't bother to give such a device a proper trial in order to see how good it is.

If RIM wants to succeed, they will have to find a way to fit form as well as function into their future efforts.
    05-12-12 01:39 PM
    I don't believe that is a real RIM video. The "larger" tablet has no bezel at each end and would be impossible to hold without triggering onscreen commands. It looks like a really nice photoshopped video.
    I agree. This is definitely a fan video. There were definitely two devices portrayed, and the images displayed on the larger one left no room for side bezels, and almost none for top/bottom bezels; I don't see how QNX would run on something with essentially no bezels. The assemblage of the ad copy (the text you read) had a couple of tell-tale flaws, as well:
    • The meaningless text "update excellent" floats in early on. Even if one assumes that the native language of the video author is a romance language, and they meant "excellent update," it's still not text which would appear in a real RIM commercial, for a number of reasons.
    • The phrase "Hours of entertainment" is displayed over a shot of the user calling a contact from the Contacts app. I hope the implication is not to say "For a good time, call Maggie"!
    • At the same time as the above contradiction is on the screen, another, extremely long piece of text appears at the bottom, containing the support agreement. Aside from the fact that such detail would never be included in an advertisement (as it doesn't promote sales, but instead deters them by causing the consumer to think of usage problems and device failure), it's easily 5 times longer than any text blurb that one would expect the viewer to read.
    • The blurb promoting Bridge is displayed in front of a static shot of the back of a PB.

There's also the fact that one of the devices shown had a white, bowed-like-a-cereal-bowl back, while all of the other devices had the standard, plain, logo-and-camera black back. I haven't seen any legitimate pictures of a 4G PB, so maybe it will have a spinnably curved back, but I doubt it.

Definitely a fan video; perhaps a project in a design class done by a PB fan?
    jpash549 likes this.
    05-12-12 02:15 PM
    See! Image and style are everything to some people. The PB is all about function-over-style rather than a fashion statement. Sad to say, most people won't bother to consider such a product unless it appeals to them physically. If it appeals to them, they will try it out. If they try it out, they will like it. And this is where RIM needs to evolve the most.

I prefer the looks and style of the current PB now after using one and seeing how well they are. They sit flat on a table and stay put, they don't move around while you are swiping the screen. But that wasn't the case when I first saw one. Upon first glance I thought it was the poorest attempt at a tablet I ever saw. Such wide bezels and the squarish design wreaked of laziness to me. And it wasn't until I was actually forced to settle for a PB that I discovered the actual intelligent design put into it. Not only that, but I saw clearly the bravado and courage RIM took in putting out the PB as it is.

I'm certain the big wigs at RIM knew well enough that a pretty product has more of a chance to sell. Yet they chose to put function before form so that the could equip the PB with the best UI ever created. This required wide bezels around the screen making the screen look really small compared to the body. Unfortunately most people won't bother to give such a device a proper trial in order to see how good it is.

If RIM wants to succeed, they will have to find a way to fit form as well as function into their future efforts.

It is about the whole package. This function over style thing died with the home landline. A mobile device is a one-two year 'marriage' which unlike your wife you take everywhere, meetings, bed, work, holiday, bed, etc. Everywhere.
    It doesn't have to be jazzed or blinged up but there are times it needs to measure up to the occasion, to deserve being chained to you for the duration of the contract. It preferable that it takes a while to both look and feel dated.
    In a world where device capabilities are nearly evenly matched and equally priced, the look and feel of a device may be all the difference between a sale and lack of it.
    This is more apparent at the lucrative end of the smartphone market.
    05-12-12 04:46 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD