06-29-13 09:37 AM
270 ... 91011
tools
    What surprises me is that Noone from CB, or any other fansite for that matter, had the, eh, gumption to ask a direct question to Thorsten: "this is what you said re PB and 10, now, are you still holding to that commitment, yes or no". The end!!!
    Actually (probably completely coincidentally ), after some fairly blunt posting hereabouts about CB failing to hold BB to account, Adam Zeis did ask Thor the direct question of whether BB10 was coming to PB in the Q&A session.

Thor lived up to my opinion of him as a hopeless communicator. He didn't answer yes, and he didn't answer no... instead he gave some rambling statement about putting BB's money on the future: the marvellously nebulous "mobile computing" which I'm not sure has ever been defined.

Unfortunately, the BB clean-up crew who normally issue press releases to "clarify" Thor's ramblings seem to be on vacation. Which is why we're at this point now of having no certainty on whether BB's previous statement on BB10 coming to PB by end of 2013 still holds.
    kevinnugent and FF22 like this.
    05-21-13 01:20 AM
    I was beginning to believe that a "worm hole" had been discovered... and that a parallel universe has been discovered... and somehow, a few people already using it... and they used password such as "mobile computing"... and like Z10, there are variants in each parallel word... perhaps the BlackBerry team that we are seeing and hearing right now are probably those from other dimensions... where "PlayBook" doesn't exist...

Well, that's all I can think of... for them to totally forgot about PlayBook...

Posted via Z10
    Uhh...what

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 07:58 AM
    [QUOTE=JeepBB;8518385]Actually (probably completely coincidentally

Thor lived up to my opinion of him as a hopeless communicator. He didn't answer yes, and he didn't answer no... instead he gave some rambling statement about putting BB's money on the future: the marvellously nebulous "mobile computing" which I'm not sure has ever been defined.
    _______

But this is no different from politicians who do not wish to directly answer some questions posed by newspeople. So, in my opinion, his response was intentional, and he had reasons to do so.
    05-21-13 06:03 PM
    Uhh...what

Posted via CB10
    you know, we are Earth Prime and all our choices create different realities where the opposite choices were made....... did no one else read comics when they were young ?
    05-21-13 06:09 PM
    But this is no different from politicians who do not wish to directly answer some questions posed by newspeople. So, in my opinion, his response was intentional, and he had reasons to do so.
    Oh, I'm sure it was intentional, and I also reckon you don't need to dig too deep to understand the reasons.

A "yes" would be a outright lie if he knew BB10 on PB wasn't coming; a "no" would demonstrate that the original promise that it was coming was a lie; so he was damned either way and so far better to ramble on about spending money on "the future!!!"... mobile computing.

I reckon Thor tries really, really hard to come over as a visionary CEO, but he's no Steve Jobs!

I used the word "rambling" deliberately. Anyone who needs to have their statements picked over like some Delphic prophecy for hidden meaning, or has to have those statements repeatedly "clarified" by a BB team isn't someone with a clear vision of the way ahead.

Unless you're an old film buff, this won't make much sense... but many years ago, there was a film called "Being There".... here's the IMDb summary of that film: "Chance, a simple gardener, has never left the estate until his employer dies. His simple TV-informed utterances are mistaken for profundity."

Can't think why I recalled that film all of a sudden.
    05-22-13 12:36 PM
    Oh, I'm sure it was intentional, and I also reckon you don't need to dig too deep to understand the reasons.

A "yes" would be a outright lie if he knew BB10 on PB wasn't coming; a "no" would demonstrate that the original promise that it was coming was a lie; so he was damned either way and so far better to ramble on about spending money on "the future!!!"... mobile computing.

I reckon Thor tries really, really hard to come over as a visionary CEO, but he's no Steve Jobs!

I used the word "rambling" deliberately. Anyone who needs to have their statements picked over like some Delphic prophecy for hidden meaning, or has to have those statements repeatedly "clarified" by a BB team isn't someone with a clear vision of the way ahead.

Unless you're an old film buff, this won't make much sense... but many years ago, there was a film called "Being There".... here's the IMDb summary of that film: "Chance, a simple gardener, has never left the estate until his employer dies. His simple TV-informed utterances are mistaken for profundity."

Can't think why I recalled that film all of a sudden.
    Jeep, you're older than I thought!
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-22-13 01:22 PM
    It is easy to answer "YES", if BlackBerry still has solid plan for PB to get BB10... and "NO" is not good for image (as advice accordingly) regardless that is the truth... so, the only thing left, which Mr. Heins did, is the brain quote of Harry S. Truman i.e. "If you can't convince them, confuse them"...

And it seems working...

Posted via Z10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-22-13 03:40 PM
    Jeep, you're older than I thought!
    I watched it when I snuck into the cinema though the fire-exit when I was aged about five. Honest!
    05-22-13 03:44 PM
    I watched it when I snuck into the cinema though the fire-exit when I was aged about five. Honest!
    You certainly were a precocious FIVE if the film has remained with you since 1979-80! I think I remember Shirley making it with a shoe or something odd like that!
    05-22-13 04:12 PM
    Shirley? A shoe? Watching this at five? What in the world!?

Does anyone know what devices Thor was directly responsible for after he left Siemens and joined BBRY? I think the guy's not a saviour the company was looking for, he's the one that will run it to the ground.
    05-22-13 10:35 PM
    Shirley? A shoe? Watching this at five? What in the world!?

Does anyone know what devices Thor was directly responsible for after he left Siemens and joined BBRY? I think the guy's not a saviour the company was looking for, he's the one that will run it to the ground.
    I know he was the COO (Chief Operating Officer) under the ce-CEO's during the Great Decline. He was the person responsible for many many launch drifts and late products/services.
    05-23-13 12:42 AM
    Peter Sellars, right? I watched it for the first time about 2 months ago. Great movie. Very apt to the situation.
    05-23-13 12:43 AM
    It is easy to answer "YES", if BlackBerry still has solid plan for PB to get BB10... and "NO" is not good for image (as advice accordingly) regardless that is the truth... so, the only thing left, which Mr. Heins did, is the brain quote of Harry S. Truman i.e. "If you can't convince them, confuse them"...

And it seems working...

Posted via Z10
    And how about this: if he'd answered "yes", the natural followup question would have been, "okay, when?", and there may not be a good answer for that. Or one that he could fully explain (like, "after 10.2 launches..."). Would another vague answer have been better?
    05-23-13 01:14 AM
    That is why I said, it would be easy to say "YES" if BlackBerry has a solid plan... and the only thing left answer is "NO" - which is, again as other believes, not a good image or impression and it may drag the whole purpose of its conference...

And Mr. Heins know that it will be very hard to convince those frustated users who waited patiently for BB10 - no matter how good his reasonings are... so, he confused us by answering some rambling statement about putting BB's money on the future... whatever it is...

Posted via Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    05-23-13 07:52 AM
    And how about this: if he'd answered "yes", the natural followup question would have been, "okay, when?", and there may not be a good answer for that. Or one that he could fully explain (like, "after 10.2 launches..."). Would another vague answer have been better?
    Well, a vague answer that it was still coming or we are still working to release it - yes, it would have been better than the total gobbly gook we got. Something like "we are working on mobile platforms and our R&D has to be practical" did not do anything to clarify the vagueness. And if he actually knows it is not coming, then fess up. He was the one who entertained an open question/answer session. Yes, I understand he might not want to darken this event with such truth but "the buck stops there!"
    05-23-13 09:12 AM
    Oh dear, reading these old posts are funny now that most of us predicted what we know now. Where are the optimists?
    06-29-13 08:24 AM
    Please change the word [Opinion] in the title to [Fact]. Thanks.
    06-29-13 08:37 AM
    BBRY must have found out that OS10 can not run on a 1 GB Ram
    It must have something to do with multitasking, some of my program do not open after heavy multitasking, even if I closed again. some of the program remain in RAM so I can't ope .pdf, xcl, doc files
    after rebooting it works

I'm not sure if I want them to release BB10 on the PlayBook. Don't get me wrong, I was number 7 in line to buy my PB on launch day at $499 but it's a 2 year old tech product that is closing in on 3 yrs. It had a great run. I recommended it to several of my friends and they bought it too because I said BB10 would come to it.

But given where we stand today where BB10 has a memory footprint that needs 2GB of ram and isn't optimized for a tablet form factor I'd say let the PlayBook die and focus on the future. Put those developers to use adding features to BB10 like multi alarm or whatever else and stop looking backwards at the 2-3 million PB users who have one today.

Some of us will whine if BB10 doesn't come to PB but I'd rather see BlackBerry focus on their business and drive sales and be around for me to buy products from in 2 to 3 years than focus on updating a product that's 3 years old.

Thorsten you have my full support to not update my PlayBook to BB10. In exchange I want $100 off a brand new BB10 tablet.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 08:47 AM
    Again, if the PlayBook hardware is really the main issue for not rolling out the BB10 into the PlayBook, BlackBerry (a.k.a. RIM)must knew this from the very beginning... even before the finalization of Z10 in production lines... and yet, they still continue to promise that all version of PlayBooks will get BB10... they obviously scamming, not only the current PlayBook users, but as well as those who just bought it because of that promised (planned) BB10...

Posted via Z10
    06-29-13 09:32 AM
    Oh dear, reading these old posts are funny now that most of us predicted what we know now. Where are the optimists?
    this is my thread. same with calm down everyone bb10 is comimg. while the latter thread was my optimist thread this is my realist thread.

while I hoped bb10 would come I knew there was a slim chance
    06-29-13 09:37 AM
270 ... 91011