& to this minute, they still are,,, i've replied to a few threads where people either just got, or are going to/considering getting, a playbook solely because BB10 IS/WAS PROMISED to PlayBook owners...

I'm kind of getting exhausted putting these hyperbole posts into the proper perspective....

A minority of consumers in 'not doing minor research in their purchasing decisions' shock, more after this commercial announcement....
    05-18-13 09:56 AM
    I have seriously NEVER heard any "promises". Like, what? Nobody from BlackBerry has made any promises to anybody. Seriously.

Things change daily in tech. Not once have I ever heard anybody at BlackBerry even say the word "promise".
    i don't think "promise" was used, regardless of how i worded it, but, unless the words come from a polititians mouth, if someone says, "you're getting this", i'll generally take it @ face value, which in effect, is a promise,,, if i tell you i'm gonna buy you a hooker, i personally, consider this binding, as i would a promise to you...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 05-18-13 at 10:09 AM.
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-18-13 09:58 AM
    I'm kind of getting exhausted putting these hyperbole posts into the proper perspective....

A minority of consumers in 'not doing minor research in their purchasing decisions' shock, more after this commercial announcement....
    where is the exaggeration??? if it exhausts you, take a nap...
    Barracuda7772 and JeepBB like this.
    05-18-13 09:59 AM
    The issue is not just BB10 for PB, it's continuing support for the device. There are loads of issues for the existing PB OS build which haven't seen any attention for the past six months. Sadly some of those issues were brought over to BB10, so it looks like BBRY just can't code worth a damn.

The hope was always that BB10 would fix all these issues and give the PB new capabilities. We gullible users were mistaken on both points.
    SEAWARRIOR and JeepBB like this.
    05-18-13 10:01 AM
    Lolololol
    05-18-13 10:09 AM
    i don't think "promise" was used, regardless of how i worded it, but, unless the words come from a polititians mouth, if someone says, "you're getting this", i'll generally take it @ face value, which in effect, is a promise,,, if i tell you i'm gonna buy you a hooker, i personally, consider this binding, as i would a promise to you...
    Oh for heavens sake!

You must have suffered a lot of disappointment in life with that way of looking at things.
    05-18-13 10:11 AM
    i guess the only thing i wanted to mention was the only promise was to launch bb10. i can understand peoples frustration with the playbook, but honestly, i think the playbook os is pretty decent and all they really should do is make BBM and other apps accessible to the device rather than a wholesale change to the PB OS. they probably don't want to mess with how the playbook currently operates, because it does do good work.

i just imagine what's going on inside their business, they must be very careful what they choose to work on because launching an entirely new OS as successfully as they have done, is definitely a daunting task. So, for their sake, i think they're doing a fantastic job considering where they were a year ago.
    05-18-13 10:14 AM
    seawarrior makes good points, yes... i just always wanna look at the cup as half full, lol - and what i see is awesomeness with bb10.

i've been patiently awaiting this bb10 for a long long time.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    05-18-13 10:17 AM
    Oh for heavens sake, how old are you?

You must have suffered a lot of disappointment in life with that way of looking at things.
    actually, not much @ all,,, what would give you that impression,,, your psych101 class???
    05-18-13 10:17 AM
    I wish more people would read about what the PlayBook's OS really is. Get this - BB10 is not an entirely new OS! Most of the QNX kernel and system libraries are taken from the PlayBook's OS. BB10's Qt-based Cascades framework goes on top and replaces most of the Adobe AIR components in PB OS.

BBRY were working on this since 2010. The PlayBook launched in mid-2011. Since that time, BBRY has had plenty of time to fine-tune BB10 for PB, if they chose to.

To me, BBRY is either:
    a) incompetent
    b) wants to exit the tablet market and never speak about the PlayBook again

My bet is on both
    JeepBB and vagos2006 like this.
    05-18-13 10:22 AM
    actually, not much @ all,,, what would give you that impression,,, your psych101 class???
    Nope, just the crushing naivety of taking everything said as true and expecting it to happen that's all.

Especially from a corporation!
    05-18-13 10:23 AM
    So if McDonald's says its burgers are made from 100% beef but DNA tests show they're actually a mix of roadkill moose and racoon, that's OK? Corporations are accountable for what they do and say.
    Barracuda7772 and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    05-18-13 10:27 AM
    So if McDonald's says its burgers are made from 100% beef but DNA tests show they're actually a mix of roadkill moose and racoon, that's OK? Corporations are accountable for what they do and say.
    That's a different set of rules and regs...and situation.

BB haven't sold you or anyone a Playbook that SHOULD have BB10 already installed on it but it hasn't.

BB have not broken any consumer laws by selling a product that isn't what it says on the box.
    05-18-13 10:32 AM
    Nope, just the crushing naivety of taking everything said as true and expecting it to happen that's all.

Especially from a corporation!
    ugh,,, taking eveything as true??? that's a stretch,,, troll elsewhere...
    05-18-13 11:00 AM
    ugh,,, taking eveything as true??? that's a stretch,,, troll elsewhere...
    That's how it read chap, that's how it read.

I don't think I'm trolling just trying to make some folks realise that not everything works out they way they hoped. The naivety is stunning you have to admit. Santa Claus and the tooth fairy don't exist! There..I've said it!

People don't always do what they say they are going to do. Circumstances change. People change. Corporate strategies change.

So an old tablet doesn't get an update. It's not the end of the world. Use it till it doesn't do what you need and buy something else. Playbook is an embarrassing reminder to the new reinvented Blackberry of old depressing RIM. It's old world, they want to forget that and move on.

The battery in your Playbook will be probably be dead by xmas anyway.
    MasterOfBinary and JeepBB like this.
    05-18-13 11:07 AM
    That's how it read chap, that's how it read.

I don't think I'm trolling just trying to make some folks realise that not everything works out they way they hoped. The naivety is stunning you have to admit. Santa Claus and the tooth fairy don't exist! There..I've said it!

People don't always do what they say they are going to do. Circumstances change. People change. Corporate strategies change.

So an old tablet doesn't get an update. It's not the end of the world. Use it till it doesn't do what you need and buy something else. Playbook is an embarrassing reminder to the new reinvented Blackberry of old depressing RIM. It's old world, they want to forget that and move on.

The battery in your Playbook will be probably be dead by xmas anyway.
    All true dat... especially the bit I've bolded.

However, the essence of your post "People lie, get over it!", whilst true, is hardly something for any corporation or person to celebrate surely?

"Hi Honey, Good Day at the office?"
    "Yeah, really good. I managed to clear most of our remaining Playbook inventory by leading people to believe that BB10 would come later this year"
    FF22 likes this.
    05-18-13 01:22 PM
    However, the essence of your post "People lie, get over it!", whilst true, is hardly something for any corporation or person to celebrate surely?

"Hi Honey, Good Day at the office?"
    "Yeah, really good. I managed to clear most of our remaining Playbook inventory by leading people to believe that BB10 would come later this year"
    Oh you are quite right a company should at least 'try' to stick by its plans for its customers but it just doesn't always turn out that way. Hindsight and all that...

As for BB selling all those firesale Playbooks on the promise of BB10. Hmmm I dunno. I didn't have a clue about BB10 till after I bought my Playbook. I bought mine because I saw a previously �450 device/gadget going for �130. I reckon 95% thought the same way.
    05-18-13 04:49 PM
    The issue is not just BB10 for PB, it's continuing support for the device. There are loads of issues for the existing PB OS build which haven't seen any attention for the past six months.

The last update was mid February
    05-18-13 05:45 PM
    I wish more people would read about what the PlayBook's OS really is. Get this - BB10 is not an entirely new OS! Most of the QNX kernel and system libraries are taken from the PlayBook's OS. BB10's Qt-based Cascades framework goes on top and replaces most of the Adobe AIR components in PB OS.

BBRY were working on this since 2010. The PlayBook launched in mid-2011. Since that time, BBRY has had plenty of time to fine-tune BB10 for PB, if they chose to.

To me, BBRY is either:
    a) incompetent
    b) wants to exit the tablet market and never speak about the PlayBook again

My bet is on both
    Designed, developed, tested and releases a lot of OSes have you?
    05-18-13 05:46 PM
    It was promised, many times.

CNBC interview with Heins himself:

RIM CEO Speaks Out on BlackBerry 10, Tablet Market - CNBC

6:25 into the video:
    Question: "Does that mean you will scrap the play book entirely and start over with a new tablet?"
    Answer: "No.what we will be doing, the teams working on this, we will take it the other way around. We will provide BlackBerry 10 updates for all PlayBooks out there. So for Wif and 4G version will be all upgradable to BlackBerry 10."
    05-18-13 05:58 PM
    It was promised, many times.

CNBC interview with Heins himself:

RIM CEO Speaks Out on BlackBerry 10, Tablet Market - CNBC

6:25 into the video:
    Question: "Does that mean you will scrap the play book entirely and start over with a new tablet?"
    Answer: "No.what we will be doing, the teams working on this, we will take it the other way around. We will provide BlackBerry 10 updates for all PlayBooks out there. So for Wif and 4G version will be all upgradable to BlackBerry 10."
    Where did he say "We promise..."?

All he gave there was the same level of assurance a guy gives a girl after a one night stand, "Sure I'll call you..."!
    05-18-13 06:24 PM
    please read earlier on in the thread this has all been covered
    05-18-13 06:25 PM
    please read earlier on in the thread this has all been covered
    Maybe but its not legally binding which some here seem to think it is.

Bizarre.

C'mon show me the legal contract you all entered into with BB for BB10 on the Playbook.

I don't remember signing or getting one.
    05-18-13 06:29 PM
    im not bothered about BB10 as an OS on the playbork i want the native official apps and the cascades software we were PROMISED......

why didnt we get half of this software ? its running on a 16GB playbook and is clearly stutter free and smooth as butter

Personally i think rim were given a back hander not to release this software because even now that software rips the **** out of android and IOS.
    Thanks for the memories - what could have been and what will never "been!" More like dust bin.
    05-18-13 06:35 PM

All he gave there was the same level of assurance a guy gives a girl after a one night stand, "Sure I'll call you..."!
    He did not say we MAY provide. He did not say we are THINKING about providing. He did not say there's a chance.

"We will provide BlackBerry 10 updates for all PlayBooks out there. So for Wif and 4G version will be all upgradable to BlackBerry 10.""

What would the word PROMISE be more meaningful? How about "I contract to provide...." but it was still not in writing? Frankly, it does not matter. And you seem to believe that reputation does not matter either. Corporations can be heinous and there's no consequence. There may or may not be legal consequence but their are other consequences. But then again, if rim does not care about selling products to consumers but is merely setting the stage for selling their software to some other conglomerate consequences with consumers may not matter. Obviously, they have done so well in the last two years that selling products really does not matter. Stock prices don't matter because who cares if we sell anything or what our reputation is like.

While REAL ESTATE transactions may require a written contract, verbal agreements can certain constitute a legal contract. In consumer affairs rules can be different.

You may go on playing TROLL and trying to help RIM (the old rim without obligations) weasel out of that statement and other similar statements.
    05-18-13 06:40 PM
270 ... 7891011