So this whole thread could have been averted IF he said "we have deleivered on our promises" instead of "we have deleivered on all our promises"
    05-17-13 08:53 AM
    Actually Thorsten Heins stated the following on January 30, 2013 in an interview with CNBC (check from 6:40 to 6:55 in the video linked below)...

We will provide BlackBerry 10 software updates for all of the PlayBooks that are out there. So, the wifi and the 4G versions, they will all be upgradable to BlackBerry 10.

http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/compone...bcplayershare/

If embedded video doesn't work (click the link above) or click below and scroll down to where the video is embedded...

Thorsten Heins Confirms That All Existing PlayBook Tablets Will Get BlackBerry 10 Software Updates - BerryReview

I hope BlackBerry follows through on Thor's statement. It's 3� months later and I would like to have an updated Playbook running BB10 with a proper bridge between my Z10 and my Playbook.

Not only is Thorsten Heins' reputation and integrity on the line, mine is as well because I recommended to all of my clients that they should buy the Playbook because it was the only device out at the time that would get BB10 when it was released (as per BlackBerry/RIM). If we don't get BB10 on the Playbook I'm the one who has to explain it to my clients.

Cheers,

Marc
    Thank you for posting this. I was getting a little worried that BB10 might not come to playbook, because I read other threads here that it wouldn't, the playbook has been abandoned, or BB10 can't run properly with the playbooks specs with only 1 GB of ram. Kind of got me worried, but after seeing this, my hopes are up again. Thanks!
    05-17-13 08:58 AM
    So this whole thread could have been averted IF he said "we have deleivered on our promises" instead of "we have deleivered on all our promises"
    yep you got it, the more influence and authority one has the less room for error there is
    05-17-13 09:00 AM
    Not to sound like a debbie downer, but I do have an official skype app sideloaded onto my PB. Works fine too. Been there for like 8 months. Never had any problems with it. The issue has always been that you couldn't video call from it, but that's not the same as the app not working. But whatever, you can believe whatever you want to.
    Which APK of Skype are you using? I got an older version working until a month ago when it keeps asking to update. Now I can't get any version running - they either want to upgrade or crash immediately on loading.

And Heins' integrity doesn't mean much when the whole company seems to be back to its old ways. Vague timelines, strange media outbursts, changing the question when anything PlayBook is mentioned... doesn't look good at all for us PB users.
    05-17-13 09:05 AM
    yep you got it, the more influence and authority one has the less room for error there is
    I would agree but I just listened to the video for the first time.
    Since we are talking about a word here and there let me correct your first post in this thread.
    He does not say "we have deleivered on all our promises".
    He does say" this show has been fantastic so far. BlackBerry is firing on all cylinders. We are delivering on all of the promises we have made."

Here is the video so folks don't have to look for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am72dig3NW0
    Last edited by Chaddface; 05-17-13 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Fixed link
    05-17-13 09:18 AM
    Vague timelines, strange media outbursts, changing the question when anything PlayBook is mentioned... doesn't look good at all for us PB users.
    PB users are of no use to BBRY now.
    uncle_numpty likes this.
    05-17-13 09:19 AM
    Hit the nail on the head there.

Hope it comes back to bite em in the ***.
    05-17-13 09:55 AM
    Don't be ridiculous - 2-million something users, no BBRY won't benefit at ALL by unifying the apps/video/music stores into one consistent offering, and making apps that are currently only available for BB10 available for PB. No money to be made there.

They are making progress, I think. I had hoped for summer (it will make me sad if iOS and Android get any slice of BBM before PlayBook), but 'by the end of the year' is all that I've heard officially stated. Getting BB10 and PB to work on the same BB Link s/w was a first step.

As to the 2Gb RAM issue, my Z10 almost always has nearly 1 GB free RAM anyway. And it's a phone, which the PB does not have to be. Others have mentioned already, it's not that there haven't been PlayBooks already running some version of the OS. It should be doable, and I still have faith. Not as long-suffering as some, granted (although I am on my 4th factory reset--so I'm not all rose-coloured glasses, either.)
    05-17-13 09:58 AM
    I would agree but I just listened to the video for the first time.
    Since we are talking about a word here and there let me correct your first post in this thread.
    He does not say "we have deleivered on all our promises".
    He does say" this show has been fantastic so far. BlackBerry is firing on all cylinders. We are delivering on all of the promises we have made."

Here is the video so folks don't have to look for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am72dig3NW0
    Thanks for posting this.
    05-17-13 10:29 AM
    I think that is all we are asking really. I absolutely love how fluid the OS is.
    Myself as well. I posted a thread earlier on the reasons why I want to have it come to the PlayBook - it's obviously a fair bit more evolved.

but if we scour these forums we can see some serious oversights that should have been covered long time.
    I always look at forums with a big grain of salt. There are definitely issues to be addressed that are experienced by some users. Some other 'issues' turn out to be a user error. You can also find plenty of, "Z10 can't do this, screw you RIM!!!" posts by frustrated users, followed by someone showing them that it can, they just didn't know how. Also, users post on the basis of their personal experience and it's hard to quantify how big or small the issue is. For example, the 'reboot issue': what % of the global userbase of Z10 users reboots once a day? Once a week? Once period? Never? There are users that have had it without question ... and plenty of others that haven't (like me). But someone who has it is more likely to post "Z10 reboots", than someone is to post, "no issues with Z10 rebooting whatsoever".

It's the nature of forums, people come here out of frustration and vent ... some because of legit issues they've personally experienced, some because they can't figure out how to get something to work.

It's not unique. Pick your poison of any of the mobile nations forums and every single one of them has users venting about problems. I don't find the Z10 issues reported here any different than any of the other mobile nations forums where people gripe about Galaxies, iPhones, Lumias etc.

And again, datapoint of one: I've had relatively few issues with my Z10. Link not syncing is my biggest pain point, with a couple of occasional connection issues and some battery life problems the first day. I use it about evenly with my iPhone and there really isn't a difference to me.

Even the PlayBook (which has more warts). I use it daily and I actually have more issues with my MacBook and iPod Touch than it. Gadget Geek and all. :-). My Mac has a habit of going to sleep and not waking up. And a habit of not properly painting the screen. And a habit of losing its wifi. My iPod loves to freeze when updating apps, crash the app store and freeze for 30 seconds.

There are improvements I want to see on every device I have.
    05-17-13 10:35 AM
    I think what he is getting at is, Blackberry promised to release BB10 for the Playbook this year.
    Then Jeff Gadway stated "we have delivered on all our promises".
    So until BB10 is released for the Playbook Blackberry has not delivered on all of their promises which makes Jeff Gadway's statement a lie.

Yes, it is really reaching.
    There are still over 6 months left in this year. Gadway's statement is not false unless the PB doesn't have BB10 as of 1/1/2014.
    Wongsky and Thunderbuck like this.
    05-17-13 10:44 AM
    I'd say until we hear a mea culpa "no we can't do BB10 on the PlayBook" I think we need to just calm down... but be realistic: may I humbly suggest:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...5/#post8498574
    05-17-13 10:46 AM
    RIM back to old times.
    That's such an uninformed comment, I can't begin to process it. The company is quite different now. Perhaps not doing everything that everyone would like in every circumstance, but many things are quite different than the days of Mike and Jim.
    05-17-13 10:55 AM
    I would settle for just having the bridge functionality with BB10 phones matching what I can do with OS7 and the Playbook. The main reason I bought the Playbook was to be able to view and answer BBMs, text msgs and emails on the bigger screen and keyboard. Also sending images and web pages to the Playbook was nice too, but sadly that is all gone with the new and improved BB10.
    I think the reason that bridge function hasn't been brought back to the former level for PlayBook when connected to the new OS10 devices is that we will see the new OS on PlayBook soon. With some of the functionality coming in 10.2 that might be the magic number. Think about how some of the season features could drastically improve the device.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 11:15 AM
    I'd say until we hear a mea culpa "no we can't do BB10 on the PlayBook" I think we need to just calm down... but be realistic: may I humbly suggest:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...5/#post8498574
    OS10 was to be released in 2012 as well and only at the last minute the CEO said Jan 2013. Not that I am here waiting and begging, getting right now to probably purchase an Asus TF700 Priced at $399 US now.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    05-17-13 11:16 AM
    Where have you seen PBs running BB10? I haven't come across any such devices.

Posted via CB10
    I have, they are out there, in some form or another.

RIM/BB has not broken any promises. They have said it WILL be upgradeable. They did not say when, and the device *IS* able to run a flavor of BB10. I am changing the thread title to something a bit more accurate (we should not mislead should we)
    eddy_berry likes this.
    05-17-13 11:31 AM
    A PlayBook that runs smoothly and flawlessly on BB10 is like UFO sightings... with super mega-pixels digital cameras available in every corner of earth, nobody can take a clear, decent and undeniably confirmation of its existence... and yet, a lot of sightings are reported and claimed to prove its existence...

Posted via Z10
    05-17-13 11:35 AM
    thank you mods for changing thread name
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    05-17-13 11:38 AM
    A PlayBook that runs smoothly and flawlessly on BB10 is like UFO sightings... with super mega-pixels digital cameras available in every corner of earth, nobody can take a clear, decent and undeniably confirmation of its existence... and yet, a lot of sightings are reported and claimed to prove its existence...

Posted via Z10
    I certainly didnt say it runs flawlessly
    05-17-13 11:38 AM
    I think the BB10 will be released, my concern is BlackBerry's lack of communication to their customers and lack of a Beta for developers (I am sure they would like their apps to be sold on as many devices as possible). My suggestion is to tweet them, there have been quite a few tweets sent their way about their lack of communication and lack of BB10 for the PlayBook.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-17-13 11:40 AM
    OS10 was to be released in 2012 as well and only at the last minute the CEO said Jan 2013.
    If, at the last minute, you mean in June of 2012 they pushed it back to Q1 2013, due to the integration issues. This caused people to speculate "March of 2013".

BlackBerry 10 delayed, devices to launch globally in Q1 2013 | The Verge

Then they announced a launch date in November BlackBerry 10 launch date confirmed | News | TechRadar

On the launch date, they presented and it went on sale in the UK the next day.
    05-17-13 11:43 AM
    now to probably purchase an Asus TF700 Priced at $399 US now.
    I have one, and it suffers the same problem as the iPad 3 which I also have: the CPU / GPU isn't always up to the task of pushing all those pixels: wait 'til the equivalent of the iPad 4 comes out, with 1920 x 1200 resolution but a faster CPU / GPU combo.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    05-17-13 11:44 AM
    if someone asked me to get a bunch of things from a grocery store and I knowingly didn't buy everything on the list but said I bought everything when I got back would I not be lying ?
    This is totally different. If you said you would buy something tomorrow and then at 9pm today you hadn't bought it, would you be lying until you bought it?

I think BBRY is having to do a balancing act with everything they say and do. Suppose they said, "BB10 for PB is coming in Sept." People would ***** and moan about the 3-4 month wait. Then, suppose something happened (like usual) and it got postponed to Nov. Ditto.

Now, perhaps instead of saying it's coming, they just keep quiet and in Nov. BOOM! Playbook update. From today until the minute they announced it people would be fussing that they haven't said anything.

Or possibly they canceled it altogether after working on it for two years. That would be pretty stupid of them, but I suppose it could happen. I think almost everyone in this thread is assuming that's the case. I don't, but good for you. We need another thread where everyone can let off some steam.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't want to be TH right now, because I know he reads these forums sometimes.

Continue on...
    05-17-13 12:55 PM
    Thank you, someone who can read ! no offence others.....really

But yes, he said Delivered as in past tense. To say they have Delivered om all there promises when they clearly have not is a lie.

I just calls'em as I sees'em folks and this was as blatent as lies get.

so call what you would
    They have delivered on all the promises that came due. This promise has not come due yet as they said "this year". I understand your impatience, and would like to at least see some more communication from them about it. But, they have not lied.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 01:04 PM
    OS10 was to be released in 2012 as well and only at the last minute the CEO said Jan 2013. Not that I am here waiting and begging, getting right now to probably purchase an Asus TF700 Priced at $399 US now.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    Yeah, I already saw that writing on the wall, and went for the Note 10.1. Once bitten, twice shy.

There will always be diehards holding out here. Somewhere out there is a Storm 2 user still waiting for OS 6.0.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-17-13 01:05 PM
270 ... 45678 ...