I am new here and I apologize in advance for the long post. I felt I needed to provide some background to explain the problem!

I recently received an email with a Dropbox link that would not open on my Playbook. It however opened fine on my Windows laptop. But why not on the Playbook?

I did some tests. I sent same file using "new" Dropbox share method (see info at bottom of this post) and Public file method. When I did this, the public file method worked, but the newer Share method did not.

Email looked like this:
    Opening Dropbox links on Playbook-email-links.jpg
    Tapping on either link produces this page:
    Opening Dropbox links on Playbook-file-save.jpg
    Clicking on OK using the second (public) link resulted in the pic being displayed. But using the first link using the "share" method, resulted in this screen:
    Opening Dropbox links on Playbook-no-pic.jpg

Can anyone suggest a reason why the one Dropbox method works and not the other. Anyone signing up for Dropbox after Aug 31st this year will not have the Public folder option. I have asked Dropbox support about this, but only received an automated reply saying that their support team is overloaded (doesn't inspire confidence!)

Info re Dropbox sharing
    What I discovered, is that Dropbox have recently eliminated the Public folder on new installations. In order to share a file using current method, user right clicks on file, which brings up 3 choices.
    Opening Dropbox links on Playbook-dropbox-share.jpg
    One of these options is share link and that is to be chosen. That brings up a box on which there is a button that says "Copy link to this page". This copies link onto clipboard from where it can be pasted.
    Opening Dropbox links on Playbook-copy-link-page.jpg

There used to be a Public folder within users Dropbox. To share a file, file would be copied to the Public folder then right clicking would produce these choices. Clicking on Copy public link, put the link on the clipboard from where it can be pasted into email.
    Opening Dropbox links on Playbook-copy-public-link.jpg
    10-27-12 09:28 PM
    I tried creating a link to a photo that I've got stored on my dropbox using the sideloaded dropbox app on my PB. I then pasted to the link into my browser and the link opened without problems.

The link that the app generated was http://db.tt/9whbNaVF
    My PB browser redirected that link to. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwnz92eecmjf7dz/PIC00020.JPG

Note that the picture was NOT stored in my public folder.
    Delmeister likes this.
    10-28-12 12:06 AM
    Lets say we have no dropbox app on the Playbook.
    Someone emails us a Dropbox link to a file.
    We should be able to tap on the link and have the file open.

If I receive an email that contains a link created using the share method and just tap on the link, the photo or file should open. But it does not. It does if the Dropbox link was created using the Public folder. The file will open if I copy and paste it to the native browser. On windows machine files linked both ways open.

Perhaps you could try emailing your dropbox link from another computer to your Playbook and then try to open it in the native email app by tapping on the link.

ADDED: OK, I copied your two links into an email and sent it to my Playbook. Both links opened fine by tapping on them. So, it seems that the problem may be in the way I am creating link or perhaps in the way Dropbox creates link. The links do work on Windows computers, but not on PB. Confused!
    Last edited by Kwela123; 10-28-12 at 03:54 PM. Reason: add info
    10-28-12 02:29 PM
    I tried it, and clinking on the link does not open the link, and saving the file does not actually save the linked photo. But that being said, I suspect that when you say you can open the link on your home PC, that you're accessing your email through your browser, and the browser will open the link in a new tab. FWIW, if you access your email account through the PB browser, the link will also open in a new tap. Also, a typical link received through the PB Messages app, when clicked on, will launch a confirmation dialogue and when you click yes the browser will launch and the link will open. What's not typical, I think, with the Dropbox photo links are that they have an extension of .jpg, which, when Messages sees that, it wants to download the file rather than just launching the browser to open it.
    10-28-12 03:51 PM
    I tried it, and clinking on the link does not open the link, and saving the file does not actually save the linked photo.......(and) .............
    FWIW, if you access your email account through the PB browser, the link will also open in a new tap. Also, a typical link received through the PB Messages app, when clicked on, will launch a confirmation dialogue and when you click yes the browser will launch and the link will open
    Thanks for trying that - Did you do the test with my links or with your pic?

When I sent your pic links to PB, both opened fine by just tapping within the PB email program This happened with both of your links, even the one with .jpg suffix. With your links, the dialogue box asks if I want to open the file (as you described). With my links, the save file dialogue box comes up. Can't see what triggers the different response from the PB seeing both are Dropbox links.

But that being said, I suspect that when you say you can open the link on your home PC, that you're accessing your email through your browser, and the browser will open the link in a new tab. . What's not typical, I think, with the Dropbox photo links are that they have an extension of .jpg, which, when Messages sees that, it wants to download the file rather than just launching the browser to open it.
    On my laptop, I am accessing mail in Windows Live Mail (not a browser). If I access my mail on the PB (or on laptop) via Gmail, then all the links open normally.

The puzzle is why links that either I or my wife create on our Windows laptops won't open in the Playbook Messages app (unless I use the Public folder method)
    10-28-12 04:58 PM
    I used my own links, but they were not to my public folder. Anyhow, even though I couldn't open the link in my Messages app, I could still copy the links there and then open them in my browser. Not a big deal, as far as I'm concerned.
    10-28-12 05:46 PM
    I used my own links, but they were not to my public folder. Anyhow, even though I couldn't open the link in my Messages app, I could still copy the links there and then open them in my browser. Not a big deal, as far as I'm concerned.
    It's not a big deal for a experienced user who knows about the problem. But when this happened to me, I had just bought the Playbook and was away from home. I was sent a photo that I would like to have seen, but it would not display on the Playbook. This could happen to other Playbook owners and be just another nail in the coffin. Thanks for the help though.

In summary:

I have done a lot of testing, and now I am sure the problem lies within the Playbook messages app.

I have tried many test messages containing Dropbox share links created in different ways. Without exception, they all open on Windows computers in their email programs(Vista Mail, Win 7 WLM,XP OE, etc) as well as in Gmail (and probably other web based email programs).

On the Playbook, Dropbox links will open in the Messages app, but ONLY if they are sent from Dropbox Public folder (which Dropbox have now discontinued). Dropbox links created using current recommended share method will NOT open using Messages.

The way I will have to overcome this, is to abandon use of the Messages app and use Gmail instead. (At least until such time RIM fixes this problem). This seems a pity because I like the mail alerts Messages provides.

What would be interesting, is to see if same problem occurs with other cloud systems. From what I recall, Google Drive does not append the file suffix. I tried this and sure enough, no problem with files shared from Google Drive. Because there is no file suffix, PB Messages just opens the link. Disadvantage of GDrive links, is that they cannot be pasted directly into forums or programs expecting the file suffix.
    Last edited by Kwela123; 10-28-12 at 07:17 PM.
    10-28-12 06:18 PM
    Seems like yet another reason not to use Dropbox... Box.com and SugarSync never fail me.
    10-28-12 11:27 PM
    Seems like yet another reason not to use Dropbox... Box.com and SugarSync never fail me.
    The problem here, is not what you or I use as a cloud service. It is what the general public use to send messages with links to Playbook owners. If those links open everywhere but on a Playbook, then it is a Playbook problem that needs to be addressed.
    10-29-12 10:11 AM
    As I said, to me it's not a significant problem since there is an easy workaround. Also, I tried sending myself links to a PDF file and an MP3 file, and clicking on the links everything worked properly, with my browser launching and giving me the option to download the files within the browser. So the issue seems limited to links to JPEGs. As for staying away from Dropbox, I think the various cloud services have their strengths and weaknesses. While you get more free storage with both Box and SugarSync, Box limits file size to 100MB- in Dropbox it's 300MB, and with SugarSync, I have issues streaming videos to my PB that I don't seem to have with Dropbox or the other Cloud services..
    10-29-12 12:58 PM
    I had a case open with RIM on this, but I have asked them to close it because I have spent too much time on it. But being a new PB user, it has allowed me to learn more about the PB.

I can understand that the Messaging app might not be programmed quite right to open all types of linked files. But what puzzled me, was that it was not the jpg suffix that caused the PB to try and save the file instead of opening it because jpg links from the Dropbox Public folder do open. Perhaps when PB tries to open a link created using the new Dropbox method, there is something about the link that tells PB it can't be downloaded, so it then tries to save it. But this behaviour is only with the PB, not in Windows programs.

I have referred PB Support to this link - I hope they read it. But now on to other things!
    10-29-12 04:34 PM
    I hate clouds, always giving me issues in playbook. but... I've descovered, the best is the google drive, hands down....sugar sync drives me crazy,....dropbox isn't compatable...just another security success RIM, lol.. they just ....don't ....want... us.. in file systems, lol....its frustrating as , I've given up...just gonna enjoy the device as is, hehe
    10-29-12 05:34 PM
    google drive ....is embeded in" Files and Folders " blackberry app , u can get it in app world. the mynfave of all the file navigator apps.
    10-29-12 05:37 PM