Honestly, I'm not an unhappy customer, more of a frustrated, and slightly disappointed one. RIM announced the PB a looooong time ago, long enough to get everything solid for a release.

I think it's obvious that I am, and have been, a RIM fan for a good while. I honestly just believe that a company this size, could do so much better.

[QUOTE:

You seem an unhappy customer, you have every right to be one and to feel sad, but please do not send this letter to RIM. Sorry, you will never be a saviour of a multi-billion dollar company. [/QUOTE]
    06-18-11 12:40 AM
    I think what he's saying is that it seems ridiculous to own an iPad and not download iTunes.

At least you have a choice though. I have a Mac and a Playbook...
    Well taking the same logic further it would also be advisable to dual boot your macbook with Windows and download Blackberry Desktop Manager for full functionality.
    I have a Macbook and so do all my friends, but all of us have dual booted with Windows.
    Say what you will about the Mac OSX, but if you want to do any serious maintenance on any hardware you NEED Windows, and that's because Macs don't play nice with anything except iStuff.
    While you do have a point in your opening post, I think RIM is being needlessly bashed over Mac compatibility. Apple brings this on itself by being such a closed platform, and anyone choosing a Mac should know what they are getting into and then not blame other manufacturers when they are not able to provide complete compatibility with Mac.
    The fact is Mac sales took off when they switched to Intel processors and they started advertising that Mac NOW RUNS WINDOWS. This was their tag line for quite some time.
    So if you like to fiddle with many gadgets you really should get Windows on your Mac. Just like the other poster should get iTunes for Windows if he buys an iPad.
    06-18-11 01:40 AM
    It is RIM loyalists like yourself who are in complete denial about the struggles you currently face that's making things worse for RIM. EXPECT more! Apple is ahead of the game! RIM isn't anymore. The author of the article is a consumer who is frustrated with Legitimate concerns! Listen to them. Shooting him down as an oppiniated soccer coach isn't what this thread is about. When OS 7 is released, on a device with a design that was practically designed 4 years ago, Apple is moving to cloud-based technology. Their own iMessage. They're even implementing their own social networking site soon! (Patents have been filed).

My Point: RIM needs to be AHEAD once again. Expect and be satisfied with nothing less.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    just curious, are you implying that apple is ahead of the game by taking two existing ideas and rebranding them as their own?

wouldnt that just bring them "up to par" especially with imessage, give they kind of got the idea from bbm
    06-18-11 01:59 AM
    I gave up at "I brought mine"... then read everyone's responses. Seriously.... if you are going to fix a company start off with spell check!
    06-18-11 03:56 AM
    If you knew anything about the markets, you would have noticed something interesting about RIMM price movement/action starting at the open and where it finished. Somebody scooped up a lot of shares and had a level at which they were buying where they felt quite comfortable.

Hup, I could write a book about the things you don't know about the markets.
    Exact Same thing happened with a company named Nortel! Go back and research what happened to their stock.
    06-18-11 07:35 AM
    Why do you think that RIM acquired QNX? RIM is ahead of everybody now because of it.
    This always baffled me. I know QNX is a great software, running industrial plants, or being used for cars and all that. But why can you jump to the conclusion that it would be great for handheld device whose only function is communication and perhaps some browsing? And I sometimes wonder if people really know what QNX does and how it would be adapted into a small device like smartphone, pretty much diminishing the true usefulness of QNX.
    The reason RIM acquired the QNX, I believe, is not because of any long term foresight. RIM just panicked when blindsided by iPhone, and by their own admission, they did not see it coming and laughed at it when Apple first announced it. They did not think iPhone was possible. But there was a sea change in smartphone scene roaring down on them. By the time they realized that they were so far behind, instead of innovating, they went on a buying spree for something they thought they can catch up with, i.e., a quick solution. QNX and TAT are examples of those. Perhaps all they had to do was to clean up the BB OS and modernize it.
    PB, with its all flaws, seems to be working well, but all consumers can see is a relatively smooth graphic rendering that everybody else already has. RIM deliberately touted it because of QNX but it is probably largely because of new browser engine and higher clock speed. I cannot really tell whether it was because of what is called "QNX". BB has long been essentially a Palm Pilot on steroid with added security and RIM's server, and with rather archaic hierarchical menu system, which in itself is not a bad thing. In fact, I like it and that's one of the reasons why I now use 9780. It suits better for text base business use (PIM).
    PB in my opinion is a disaster. RIM was obsessed with the QNX which they were too anxious to showcase in the world. But alas, what exactly was the benefit of QNX? Fluid graphics? Nothing new. Faster CPU alone would do that. But unfortunately, people do not buy prototypes. They buy iPads.

I am not too confident about RIM's ability to get their bloated software right. BB OS has been so bloated with version number going in hundreds. They are constantly revising it and it comes with constant breaking of something else, which they have to address, so goes the vicious circle.
    Even if they might be successful in adapting QNX into small handhelds, I suspect that their UI is still something close to today's BB OS. OS7 is probably that.

With all the flaws of BB OS, what they should have done is to get the new and more modern hardwares such as 9900 out with BB OS 6.1. People would have still taken it. But by meddling with it by going OS7 (whatever it is), they are missing the windows of opportunity and by the time 9900 would be out, competitors should already be far ahead of BB. I also use iPhone but when Apple announced iOS5, I started slowly losing interest and the enthusiasm in 9900. If it comes out today, I still buy 9900. But in August or September, I probably abandon BB.

I do not have much faith nor confidence in QNX itself (I do not know much about it and RIM is not telling much either) and RIM's ability to execute the adoption of QNX, particularly with a brand new UI, whatever it might be.

Sorry, I am getting pessimistic.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-18-11 08:08 AM
    Here is the reality of the PB...

Best hardware on the market.

Solid & Stable OS.

Lack of apps, lack of adequate strategic planning, lack of large, professional 3rd party software support.

As a BB9700 owner that also owns a rooted Droid running Liquid Gingerbread 1.7 with all the tweaks, I can predict that people are right now working on rooting the PB and developing custom ROM's for it to make it do what they want it to do, their way.

RIM has always tried to work against this, but I was able to (with help from people here) crack my 9700 and put a stable os6 on it before AT&T finally made OS6 available to their 9700 clientele.

Someone will make it right eventually, even if it isn't RIM.
    06-18-11 08:08 AM
    I think RIM has to take a good, hard look at what is currently being offered in the marketplace as far as phones. I am a painfully loyal Blackberry user. I don't want it to be so painful. (I'm sure there's an App for that). RIM should realize that a phone is no longer just a work device but a life/lifestyle device. I would like things like SureType (offered on Android devices), A camera that doesn't lock up at critical moments (the 9800 Camera is Junk), I would like apps that do cool things like let me play guitar or drive race cars or let me have fun without compromising speed/memory on my phone. I think RIM has sat on their hands and let Apple and Android leave them in the dust. If it wasn't for BBM, I'd be on an iPhone or an EVO right now. If either ever gets something like BBM that I can use to talk to my BBM friends, I am gone.
    Last edited by charlibear; 06-18-11 at 01:42 PM.
    tampasoccer likes this.
    06-18-11 01:36 PM
    but you do have to have iTunes.

i was given an iPad this past Christmas. i don't have an iTunes account, don't have it installed, have never used iTunes, and would never install a crApple product on any of my computers.

i had to wait until i found someone with an iTunes account just to use the device.

every time an app is updated, i have to take it back to them to sign in to iTunes so i can update.

that iPad gets so little use because i refuse to use iTunes.
    That's not Apple's fault, that's you choosing to make your life difficult. If you hate Apple so much you should have been more vocal so someone didn't waste their money on a gift you wouldn't want and apparently don't like. I feel badly for the friend or loved one who wasted their money on someone as ungracious as you.

It's not hard to put iTunes on your computer. I had to put RIM's desktop manager on my computer and create a BIS email address when I got a BB. Did I really want to have to? No. But I did it as it was a requirement of my having a BB.

I fail to see how you CHOOSING to cause yourself extra steps that you find so inconvenient and would be cured by a simple download is Apple's fault.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 06-18-11 at 04:50 PM.
    06-18-11 04:45 PM
    I have had a Storm 2 for over a year now. What makes me consider switching to a Droid or IPhone is one simple little glitch. I updated to the new OS and my clock stopped coming on when charging. Might not seem like a big deal and I guess it isn't. I use my BB as a clock in my car. the fact that RIM admits they KNOW about this glitch and have NEVER released a patch says this is a company that has lost it's way. Say what you will about Apple, they have a problem they seem to address it quickly.
    06-18-11 04:49 PM
    You can actually be happy with a gift whilst at the same time refusing to pay extra money for using it.
    One, he's clearly not "happy" with the gift. That would be clear to you if you'd actually read what he wrote.

Two, you can use iTunes for updates without paying a cent. There are plenty of free apps and podcasts, and software updates/upgrades are free. There are even free music singles and TV shows. But let's not let the facts get in the way of your witty retort.
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-18-11 04:53 PM
    OP - good letter. I am not happy to see a home grown company flounder. I am not happy to see my province about to lose more jobs when RIM starts their layoffs. What astounds me the most is that Balsillie and Lazaridis are so arrogant and narrow minded that they have allowed it to get this bad.

Do I want to see RIM succeed? You bet. Would I like to one day shop for a phone and have RIM have a model that is in the running for my choice? Absolutely. My worry is that by the time they realized what they needed to do, they had already reached the point of no return. It's pretty bad when Kevin sounds as pissed off and negative as he did in the podcast.

Blind cheerleading is what got RIM into this mess. It's sad to see it still happening.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-18-11 04:53 PM
    The thing is that QNX is killer. Congrats to RIM for that leap of imagination.
    06-18-11 07:22 PM
    I didnt read the OP's post, but let me be clear: the dual CEO concept is dead on arrival.

RIM needs to get its act together and get back to the basics of what brought it to the dance: ingenuity. Quit taking on a corporate attitude and be what it was at start.

Nothing more, Nothing less.

RIM is getting smoked. Time to douse the flames and start living in the now.

Its the only way out. Otherwise, MicroCrap is gonna buy you...
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-18-11 07:45 PM
    Tampasoccer,....I like this letter a lot and if I were on RIM's board,....I'd read it to all members and also make sure that the code writers and software designers are aware of its content. Excellent letter,....lets just hope it isn't to late.

You know,...my first smartphone was a BB,...the BB 9000!

JMD
    06-18-11 09:17 PM
    The thing is that QNX is killer. Congrats to RIM for that leap of imagination.
    QNX may be great but if they can't fix the clock function I am not holding out hope.
    06-18-11 09:34 PM
    Never had a problem with the clock myself.
    06-18-11 09:47 PM
    can you honestly expect to entice ANY new customers in the tablet market, when the PB relies on you having a BB cell phone?
    This is when RIM "jumped the shark" - the reason I love my BB is that I have everything on one device... why would I start carrying 2 devices like fan bois I see carrying an iPad & iPhone? Blackberrys are great and a large one (playbook) would have been a good idea except for the tethering which I really dont understand... How hard can it be to make a "large" Blackberry with a nice large sceen to use while sitting on the couch or presenting something. Then "tether" or what everever if you want to access your data on the BB... dont make it a requirement... it doesnt make any sense!
    06-18-11 10:29 PM
    Way to build that credibility! Good job. You should run RIM! You'd do as pathetic a job as the current two. Seriously! The only good thing about bb email is the speed it's delivered, never mind that my iPad still beats it in that regard every time. Folder sync is pathetic at best, it barely handles HTML and that is only if you're foolish enough to download the images which takes forever. If that is best in class to you you're an ignorant fool.

This is what rim are competing against, sure, it's not quite as horrendous as bb email but still.

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=62#/watch?v=xTGwaE8sKwE

i base my opinion on feed back from iphone friends. Every single one of them tells me that the iphone email is unreliable and slow at best. They've all come from blackberrys so i can understand their frustration. They love their iPhones and i dont hold it against them, but they, un-like you can not admit simple truth. They miss certain things about blackberrys: email, bbm, keyboard, etc. Wasn't it just a short while ago, that Mr. Jobs during one of his breath taking presentations announces "multiple email inboxes in one folder!" and oh my goodness, the crowd goes wild! Amazing Apple, you did it again!! We love you Apple!! Then later on (or earlier but who really cares)... "aaaand... introducing.... multitasking!!!" rrrrrrrraaaaaah... the fanboys cheer with excitement!!! Until they actually try it, and find out that its the biggest piece of crap multitasking ever invented.
    Another experience i have is this: I send many many emails everyday with my blackberry... and way to many times for my liking i find out an email didnt make it to its recipient. Only to find out "oh that email goes to my iPhone" - you know how many times I've heard this??? too many to count.
    just sayin.... I don't believe much i read or see online, but what I do believe is the report from friends and people i know who experience first hand just how awesome the email is on the icrap.

06-18-11 10:42 PM
    i base my opinion on feed back from iphone friends. Every single one of them tells me that the iphone email is unreliable and slow at best.
    This does not sound at all true. Have you actually checked the iPhone on email? My gmail on iPhone is the fastest, faster than BB, or even desktop. It has all proper IMAP subfolders, display HTML mails beautifully and never truncate spaghetti long emails.
    In fact, I think the BB email today is the least advanced. The world has changed.
    That does not mean I hate BB. In fact, my main device is 9780. It has its own advantages that appeal to me. I am only talking about the email performance. The day BB was the king of email has gone a long time ago.
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-18-11 11:24 PM
    This does not sound at all true. Have you actually checked the iPhone on email? My gmail on iPhone is the fastest, faster than BB, or even desktop. It has all proper IMAP subfolders, display HTML mails beautifully and never truncate spaghetti long emails.
    In fact, I think the BB email today is the least advanced. The world has changed.
    That does not mean I hate BB. In fact, my main device is 9780. It has its own advantages that appeal to me. I am only talking about the email performance. The day BB was the king of email has gone a long time ago.
    Funny, the last email I sent was to an iPhone gmail account, and it didn't make it. So I had to resend by forwarding the original.

06-18-11 11:39 PM
    I didnt read the OP's post, but let me be clear: the dual CEO concept is dead on arrival.

RIM needs to get its act together and get back to the basics of what brought it to the dance: ingenuity. Quit taking on a corporate attitude and be what it was at start.

Nothing more, Nothing less.

RIM is getting smoked. Time to douse the flames and start living in the now.

Its the only way out. Otherwise, MicroCrap is gonna buy you...
    I might be wrong, but I think too much is being made about the Double CEO thing. It's just a title to signify that they are equals.
    As I understand their areas of operations are different. One is in charge of business while the other os the technical head. Would it be better if they had titles saying Technical Head and Business Development Head?
    Unless they each have power to stall each other's initiatives and split the board, the name title doesn't matter. If they are not infringing on each other's are of operations how does it matter.
    This is one of those things where success has many fathers and failure is an orphan.
    If RIM was not having these hiccups everyone would be pointing out the sheer genius of having two CEO's, and if Apple was not having the kind of success it is enjoying currently then everyone would be against having a dictator as the head (it did happen with Apple). Really just a no win situation. You can't please everyone all of the time.
    Trust me as an entrepreneur, I know how difficult it is to stand your ground when you are in trouble. Everyone is an expert and the guy who had the guts to start it all is the biggest ***** around. But it eases off as success comes. Then comes the adulation, till the next time your business is in trouble (as all businesses are at one point or another).So it's best to ignore the arm-chair consultants and stock market leeches and hunker down and do what you do best.
    Just my two cents.
    omgitsalive likes this.
    06-19-11 03:21 AM
    In respect to QNX coming out in 2012, I don't mind that. Saying they need to force it out before the years end is exactly what they've been doing, pushing out products unfinished. Begin 2012 with a bang and give us QNX based phones first/second quarter. Release small refreshes the rest of 2011 and make them upgradeable to QNX. Then in 2012 release completely redesigned phones in conduction with QNX.

I also think RIM were stubborn. They didn't want to believe other smart phone companies were surpassing them. While RIM sat back and released new phones on old software, companies out did them again. I'm glad to see this week that RIM are proactively repositioning resources. I have hope for RIM, I truly believe that can Mage a huge comeback.
    06-19-11 04:56 AM
    we all apparently want RIM to succeed or we wouldn't waste our time on this forum. but before we start crying the sky is falling or jumping off bridges consider many of us are old enough to know this story isn't new it's been told a hundred times. strong companies adapt and survive. weak ones fade into the sunset all for the bigger and better that lies ahead. failure is the greatest teacher, every successful company has learned more from their failures then from their success. this all reminds of a story i heard once about a major innovation company that began to struggle from within, and floundered in the public, fired their founder. flash forward 25 years and now they are the leading technology company in the world. Apple. many great companies have looked death in the face and gone on to be even greater, HP, Apple, GM(debatable), Ford, Motorola, and many more. the one thing i have really noticed in 40 plus years is that the so called experts in technology and business actually know very little and talk out both sides of their mouth hedging their bets in both directions and never being called to the carpet. nothing way say or do here will change the ultimate decisions made. all we can do wait and see years from now we will all talk about how RIM had their Apple moment, or their Palm moment.
    06-19-11 11:18 AM
    Funny, the last email I sent was to an iPhone gmail account, and it didn't make it. So I had to resend by forwarding the original.

I think you need to learn more about how gmail works. It's heavily server/cloud based, and the devices are secondary. If something goes wrong to the point of requiring a resend, then it's not the fault of any device that would access the gmail account of the recipient.

I have 7 BlackBerry test devices, three iPhones, two iPads, the PlayBook, and my wife recently switched from a Curve to a Verizon iPhone after many years on BlackBerry. I feel qualified when I say that the current iOS e-mail client is light years ahead of what we deal/dealt with on BlackBerry.
    06-19-11 11:23 AM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD