This is an idea i've been thinking about for some time.

We know what happened with the HP TouchPad, it is discontinued, but hp made palm os open source.
    If blackberry doesn't show up with a bb10 update, maybe we could make a petition to make the QNX 2.0 OS open source?
    It would allow us to do things we can't do now, like maybe change the UI of our tablet, or change settings of applications that weren't available in the past. And it would give the playbook a bigger support group than it has now.

Or why not we ask if they can provide a bootloader unlock? That would allow us to port bb10 to our playbooks or android if we wanted. It would make people quit complaining and this community would light up again!

This is a idea, i doubt anyone will think this will help, but it seems like a great idea and it would be the only way to get bb10 if blackberry didn't release it.
    06-06-13 11:41 PM
    This is an idea i've been thinking about for some time.

We know what happened with the HP TouchPad, it is discontinued, but hp made palm os open source.
    If blackberry doesn't show up with a bb10 update, maybe we could make a petition to make the QNX 2.0 OS open source?
    It would allow us to do things we can't do now, like maybe change the UI of our tablet, or change settings of applications that weren't available in the past. And it would give the playbook a bigger support group than it has now.

Or why not we ask if they can provide a bootloader unlock? That would allow us to port bb10 to our playbooks or android if we wanted. It would make people quit complaining and this community would light up again!

This is a idea, i doubt anyone will think this will help, but it seems like a great idea and it would be the only way to get bb10 if blackberry didn't release it.
    I would like it, and I have said this before. My idea would be like a private unlock so that people that wanted could do it, and anyone who didn't would remain locked.

However as always, you will probably hear "Why buy a BB if you want to disable the security blah blah blah", just giving you heads up on that one.
    Sumando likes this.
    06-07-13 12:08 AM
    It has been discussed - Rim is total security and they will not want hacked pb's out there, even those personally owned and not corporate units. I guess you can ask.
    egrohe likes this.
    06-07-13 12:17 AM
    I would pay at most $30 to be able to send it in to BB and have them unlock it.
    06-07-13 12:26 AM
    BBRY won't unlock it because it could expose an attack vector for BB10, which they take a lot of pride in being secure. Of course, having a secure phone that doesn't sell is pointless, so BBRY might be forced to open up its devices if sales aren't too good.

I'm hoping to blow away PBOS and install Android on this thing if it can be done. At least I'll have a few years' worth of apps and updates then, instead of being locked into a dead-end platform with few apps

The freedoms we have on mature computing platforms like PCs doesn't exist in this nasty vision of mobile computing. Apple cannot stop me if I buy a Mac, delete OS X and run Linux on it. I can do whatever I want with the hardware I own. I can't do the same on an iPad, a PlayBook, an MS Surface...
    antiRIM and Revampd like this.
    06-07-13 12:31 AM
    Considering that the QNX controls so many applications and other types of devices that require even higher security than your PlayBook (think power plants and industrial controls) why would they want to release it to the world? If the PlayBook doesn't do what you want, find a device that does.

If you're interested in altering the kernel of your OS, or even altering hardware, maybe BlackBerry isn't the platform for you.
    06-07-13 07:53 AM
    BBRY won't unlock it because it could expose an attack vector for BB10, which they take a lot of pride in being secure. Of course, having a secure phone that doesn't sell is pointless, so BBRY might be forced to open up its devices if sales aren't too good.

I'm hoping to blow away PBOS and install Android on this thing if it can be done. At least I'll have a few years' worth of apps and updates then, instead of being locked into a dead-end platform with few apps

The freedoms we have on mature computing platforms like PCs doesn't exist in this nasty vision of mobile computing. Apple cannot stop me if I buy a Mac, delete OS X and run Linux on it. I can do whatever I want with the hardware I own. I can't do the same on an iPad, a PlayBook, an MS Surface...
    Exactly. It would make the PB a lot better
    06-07-13 03:33 PM
    Sorry folks, my 2 cents. This would kill the very thing that makes a Playbook a Playbook. If I wanted an Android device I would buy one. There are so many Androids out there why kill Playbooks unique quality? QNX is much better, and I understand you can't do many things on it, but then why bother with it? Just for fun? You will get bored even faster and the device is 2 year old technology. What are you guys planning on doing with it? I would really like to know. I'm sure it will not be as exciting as you can try and make me believe it is.
    Mickrick likes this.
    06-07-13 03:49 PM
    Sorry folks, my 2 cents. This would kill the very thing that makes a Playbook a Playbook. If I wanted an Android device I would buy one. There are so many Androids out there why kill Playbooks unique quality? QNX is much better, and I understand you can't do many things on it, but then why bother with it? Just for fun? You will get bored even faster and the device is 2 year old technology. What are you guys planning on doing with it? I would really like to know. I'm sure it will not be as exciting as you can try and make me believe it is.
    We could make a dual boot system of QNX and Android.
    Ragwan likes this.
    06-07-13 09:19 PM
    The cheapest option for Blackberry is to do nothing and leave the Playbook as is. Why spend any more money on opening up their platform so that Playbook fans can bring better things to their box and not make anything from it.
    06-09-13 12:29 AM
    This is my first post here having been a member for a few months, im sorry but the only option is opening up the pb bootloader or getting bb10, otherwise its just gonna die and im gonna have to part company with it, like a earlier poster said you can do it with other hardware so why not here? i might go get a samsung s4, cos at least its open, and the only reason i come on here is to either know if you have found a way of porting android over or bb10, at the moment the only use i get from it is as a ebook reader and theres cheaper ebook reader out there
    06-09-13 03:45 AM
    What if we did find a root exploit.
    Patch the public key in playbook tobe used with our new private key which we use to sign a new ROM.
    and compile a Linux bootloder which works with qnx (and maybe android),sign it with that new private key and flash it.
    What do u think?
    Last edited by Dr_Acula; 06-09-13 at 10:15 AM.
    06-09-13 05:06 AM
    Okay, there's no reason not to hope it happens but it is doubtful Rim will do it. So it will be up to those ROOT subforum folks to come up with a way of breaking in to pb's with the most recent OS's on them.
    06-09-13 09:01 AM
    It has been discussed - Rim is total security and they will not want hacked pb's out there, even those personally owned and not corporate units. I guess you can ask.
    If the answer to this is already somewhere in the forum I haven't seen it. It has been said for years that BlackBerry is the most secure platform out there. And I agree. BUT, on the same note, if it is so secure how is it there are so many "Leaks" out here?
    I'm not happy at all I am still on 10.0... VZW on my Z10. But also not comfortable running a leak version for fear of compromising the security it does provide.
    If someone can produce a "Leak" for the phones, why not the PB?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 09:03 AM
    This is my first post here having been a member for a few months, im sorry but the only option is opening up the pb bootloader or getting bb10, otherwise its just gonna die and im gonna have to part company with it, like a earlier poster said you can do it with other hardware so why not here? i might go get a samsung s4, cos at least its open, and the only reason i come on here is to either know if you have found a way of porting android over or bb10, at the moment the only use i get from it is as a ebook reader and theres cheaper ebook reader out there
    we might get bb10 yet on playbook its not 2014 yet. but the bootloader will never be unlocked there will be an update to patch it.

its a fact of life tech dies.

why not save a lot of trouble and just buy an android. walmart has a hisense tablet that's identicle to the nexus 7 for 99 dollers
    06-09-13 09:11 AM
    If the answer to this is already somewhere in the forum I haven't seen it. It has been said for years that BlackBerry is the most secure platform out there. And I agree. BUT, on the same note, if it is so secure how is it there are so many "Leaks" out here?
    I'm not happy at all I am still on 10.0... VZW on my Z10. But also not comfortable running a leak version for fear of compromising the security it does provide.
    If someone can produce a "Leak" for the phones, why not the PB?

Posted via CB10
    Folks have wondered about that. Must be the way, they designed the phones versus the way the pb was designed. If you follow back long enough on the pb's history, there was a 'break-in" hack which is why/how there is a Rooting subforum. When confronted with it, Rim quickly patched the pb closing that opening. Folks still try exploiting that weakness. I admit I have no idea or knowledge of such methods - beyond my ability.
    06-09-13 09:54 AM
    we might get bb10 yet on playbook its not 2014 yet. but the bootloader will never be unlocked there will be an update to patch it.

its a fact of life tech dies.

why not save a lot of trouble and just buy an android. walmart has a hisense tablet that's identicle to the nexus 7 for 99 dollers
    Here's hoping we do get bb10 for the PB. Stopped holding my breath though.
    Granted, tech dies. But I seem to recall reading back around the time the PB was released that 1.0 and 2.0... were just precursors till 10.0 was ready.
    I've read in other forum postings on CB to give BB10 a break because it is a new OS. True, compared to others out there. How many years have they been working on it? How many years before it's considered mature? They are already talking 10.2. and I don't even have 10.1 yet. And it's said the PB is too old for 10. At this rate I wonder how soon it will be before the Z10 is too old to update?
    I'm getting off topic.

Whether a different os wins out down the road after my 2 PB's and Z10 give up the ghost is hard to say. All I do know is I will not be nearly as fast to bite on any 2nd gen BB tablet or whatever it is decided to be called.

Posted via CB10
    playbook_swiper1 likes this.
    06-09-13 11:28 AM
    Here's hoping we do get bb10 for the PB. Stopped holding my breath though.
    Granted, tech dies. But I seem to recall reading back around the time the PB was released that 1.0 and 2.0... were just precursors till 10.0 was ready.
    I've read in other forum postings on CB to give BB10 a break because it is a new OS. True, compared to others out there. How many years have they been working on it? How many years before it's considered mature? They are already talking 10.2. and I don't even have 10.1 yet. And it's said the PB is too old for 10. At this rate I wonder how soon it will be before the Z10 is too old to update?
    I'm getting off topic.

Whether a different os wins out down the road after my 2 PB's and Z10 give up the ghost is hard to say. All I do know is I will not be nearly as fast to bite on any 2nd gen BB tablet or whatever it is decided to be called.

Posted via CB10
    I wholly agree bb10 has been around the inception of pb1.0, the name change and ui change were pretty much for the sake of marketing. give us the updated ui and a few frameworks and look at that its bb10 magic right.....the general public are so ignorant.

I wouldn't imagine a lot of people would be happy knowing bb10 is a slight upgrade of a os from a failed product(playbook)
    06-09-13 11:58 AM
    I wholly agree bb10 has been around the inception of pb1.0, the name change and ui change were pretty much for the sake of marketing. give us the updated ui and a few frameworks and look at that its bb10 magic right.....the general public are so ignorant.

I wouldn't imagine a lot of people would be happy knowing bb10 is a slight upgrade of a os from a failed product(playbook)
    IMO the reason it's considered a failed product is the appointment of a new CEO. Something I have seen before. Unless the product or system in place is fully entrenched seldom will the new person continue with it. They want to do it their way.
    By the time the new CEO took over BB10 was already entrenched so it had to stay. Although it's difficult to know what changes he may implemented. Causing the launch delays. The PB was a different case. Due to poor marketing and overall support it was easy to dump. Plus he has already said he doesn't believe tablets are the future.

We'll see.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 02:35 PM
    Since I put ice cream 4 on my to, it rocks. Would be even better on playbook

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 07:48 PM
    Someone got a bricked playbook
    Contact @quackquack147 on this pagehttp://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=793657

I think he got something great to unlock the bootloder.
    06-10-13 02:32 AM
    Many playbooks are gifts, sme to elderly like me. Our lousy memories and slow adaptation capability make our powerful playbook practically useless. Save us from our security!
    07-16-13 10:33 PM
    Can't remember the date that Blackberry CEO confirmed they were abandoning the Playbook OS updates, but I'm assuming this comment was made before it. Now that we know that the Playbook OS is a dead end I would love to be able to load Android on my Playbook and get the advantages of updated apps and Google Play Store on the awesome Playbook hardware.

I was a dedicated Playbook fanatic, ordering mine before release and adding two more to my collection since then. Now I'm just pissed off that they suckered me into paying top dollar for a device that they won't bother updating anymore. The lack of apps is the main complaint I have about the Playbook and they just put the last nail in its coffin. At least having Android on it would allow me to continue to get lots of use out of the awesome hardware platform, even if they are abandoning the OS..

Just my thoughts.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-25-13 01:16 PM