Okay so this is my opinion, I'm sure everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but the truth is that the time I truly enjoyed my PlayBook was when it could be rooted. I had widgets, the android market etc and the excitement of what could be done by the flaw then was just amazing. I remember taking my PlayBook to bestbuy and the reps were amazed with what the tablet could do and considered getting one for themselves. Rooting and tinkering is fun especially for a dead tablet that has no other function. I really do not know what you guys get out of your tablet, and sadly I know its not Rims fault but the lack of netflix and Skype gets to me alot. Please don't suggest playOn or the video store. I like the hardware on the playbook but I think the lack of customization and eye candy makes it bland. RIM needs to polish BB10 and listen to its fanbase. Hopefully bb10 offers eye candy, full customization, and general ease of use. Also increase the potential of the Android player to solve the unfortunate problem of the lack of apps. Also think of opening it up a little bit to the users. All my idevices have been rooted. I cannot stand using my iphone without the ability to install cydia. This is not a popular idea since RIM considers itself top notch in security lol. All these security loving fanboys just makes things unexciting for us general consumers.
    Last edited by ryder4587; 08-21-12 at 12:28 PM.
    08-21-12 12:05 PM
    You had android widgets on your PB?
    08-21-12 12:14 PM
    You had android widgets on your PB?
    Yupp. The full android experience.
    08-21-12 12:17 PM
    Okay ... so clear this up for me. If you only enjoyed the PB when you were able to root it and install "the full Android experience' doesn't that tell you that you really want an Android tablet? Why go to all the trouble of rooting the PB to turn it into an Android when you could have purchased an Android tablet from the get-go?
    08-21-12 12:34 PM
    only time i truly enjoyed my playbook is.. well... hmm, there really isnt a time i dont truly enjoy my playbook... ooo, when i'm in the shower... wait, no i listen to online radio with it in there.. hmm, nvm

Sorry u felt you had to root it to enjoy it. sounds like u maybe wanted something else and bought the PB...

Another reason you HAVE to do your research with products..
    Last edited by Jamaicangirl81; 08-21-12 at 12:51 PM.
    08-21-12 12:37 PM
    Interesting. I don't know anything about rooting. Perhaps you should have left it in that state.
    I really do not know what you guys get out of your tablet
    With 344 on the recharge count I get plenty of use from my PB. No time for tinkering. I just use it.
    Jamaicangirl81 and Toodeurep like this.
    08-21-12 12:38 PM
    Simple solution buy an android if you want an android.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    08-21-12 12:43 PM
    Okay ... so clear this up for me. If you only enjoyed the PB when you were able to root it and install "the full Android experience' doesn't that tell you that you really want an Android tablet? Why go to all the trouble of rooting the PB to turn it into an Android when you could have purchased an Android tablet from the get-go?
    I am not a fan of android as a standalone unit as I am not a huge fan of Google and think android is just a huge spyware. I love as android is sandboxed on the playbook. If you read what I wrote right, you could have understood that it was more about the ability to tinker, having a second option, and customizing just as you want. Like I said, I never use my iphone as bought, the first thing I look for is if the os could be rooted then install cydia and customize as I want. Don't get me wrong, but through the ability to root we had hulu for the first time, and there was more hope that collective developer community could bring more to the playbook and increase its potential.
    08-21-12 12:46 PM
    ...one day I pressed the sleep mode widget too hard and forgot my root skills.
    I pressed for an update and me and my PB were lost forever.
    the Bestbuy reps are laughing at me now and despite my tears they refuse
    to sell me an IPad for a PB price. when will RIM ever learn?

to be continued...
    08-21-12 12:47 PM
    never had root but i dont see the point of full android, this really destroys all the great multitask features we have with 2.1 atleast . More compatibility would be enough for me and as long as i can sideload i dont need the market (but i have to admit i have access to an android phone to get the apps).

The only root feature i really miss is USB-OTG, i would love to access my camera and get the pictures on the tablet to edit and send them. Sure there a wifi based adapters for SD cards but its just another piece of hardware that wouldnt be needed if rim just activates this feature for retail OSs
    08-21-12 12:49 PM
    never had root but i dont see the point of full android, this really destroys all the great multitask features we have with 2.1 atleast . More compatibility would be enough for me and as long as i can sideload i dont need the market (but i have to admit i have access to an android phone to get the apps).

The only root feature i really miss is USB-OTG, i would love to access my camera and get the pictures on the tablet to edit and send them. Sure there a wifi based adapters for SD cards but its just another piece of hardware that wouldnt be needed if rim just activates this feature for retail OSs
    With root access we can do alot with the playbook, and increase its efficiency.we can also remove some of the roadblocks RIM imposes for reasons known to them and allow greater customization to the playbook. QNX is a great OS and it's full potential can be seen when it is open and not closed.
    08-21-12 12:53 PM
    through the ability to root we had hulu for the first time
    When the PB launched hulu worked fine. For whatever reason they blocked the PB.
    08-21-12 12:56 PM
    When the PB launched hulu worked fine. For whatever reason they blocked the PB.
    Yeah it did. They blocked it, and we got it back.
    08-21-12 12:58 PM
    With root access we can do alot with the playbook, and increase its efficiency.we can also remove some of the roadblocks RIM imposes for reasons known to them and allow greater customization to the playbook. QNX is a great OS and it's full potential can be seen when it is open and not closed.
    I don't believe RIM has any interest in opening the OS so some can tinker at the expense of security.
    08-21-12 12:59 PM
    I don't believe RIM has any interest in opening the OS so some can tinker at the expense of security.
    The ability to root should be a choice. The playbook is safe if you decide to not root. Rooting is at your own risk. The developers of cydia have already won the war against apple that they should be able to do with their device what they want.
    08-21-12 01:06 PM
    Okay so this is my opinion, I'm sure everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but the truth is that the time I truly enjoyed my PlayBook was when it could be rooted. I had widgets, the android market etc and the excitement of what could be done by the flaw then was just amazing. I remember taking my PlayBook to bestbuy and the reps were amazed with what the tablet could do and considered getting one for themselves. Rooting and tinkering is fun especially for a dead tablet that has no other function. I really do not know what you guys get out of your tablet, and sadly I know its not Rims fault but the lack of netflix and Skype gets to me alot. Please don't suggest playOn or the video store. I like the hardware on the playbook but I think the lack of customization and eye candy makes it bland. RIM needs to polish BB10 and listen to its fanbase. Hopefully bb10 offers eye candy, full customization, and general ease of use. Also increase the potential of the Android player to solve the unfortunate problem of the lack of apps. Also think of opening it up a little bit to the users. All my idevices have been rooted. I cannot stand using my iphone without the ability to install cydia. This is not a popular idea since RIM considers itself top notch in security lol. All these security loving fanboys just makes things unexciting for us general consumers.
    If you want the "full Android experience" the ONLY devices you'll get a "full Android experience" is an Android device. Plain and simple. If you don't like Google, then don't go for an Android device.

The PlayBook was never intended to be an Android device, and rightly so. Everyone has their preferences but to buy a PlayBook and emulate Android as much as possible is a ridiculous idea. It's like saying I'll buy an iPad to emulate PS1 games etc. Not everything will work for one, and another reason is that it's not officially supported.

The fact that RIM cares about the security of their devices is enough to reassure many that their data is secure enough on that mobile device. The PlayBook runs Android apps for a few reasons.

1) Expands application selection
    2) Get Android developers on board to continue porting apps or develop native ones
    3) For some like me their favourite Android apps work on the PlayBook perfectly.

Trying to tinker and modify an OS that an OEM has created leaves you with multiple different problems and absolutely 0 after market official support.
    08-21-12 01:07 PM
    If you want the "full Android experience" the ONLY devices you'll get a "full Android experience" is an Android device. Plain and simple. If you don't like Google, then don't go for an Android device.

The PlayBook was never intended to be an Android device, and rightly so. Everyone has their preferences but to buy a PlayBook and emulate Android as much as possible is a ridiculous idea. It's like saying I'll buy an iPad to emulate PS1 games etc. Not everything will work for one, and another reason is that it's not officially
    "its like saying buy an ipad to emulate ps1 games. That's so funny, the Android appstore has a ps1 emulator etc. It was Steve Jobs idea to make a tablet a consumer device. It doesn't have to be. Microsoft is currently working against that idea with its windows 8 pro for tablets. You might be the sheep that is content with whatever is given to you but there are people who know the value of having an os that they can do work on and customize as they see fit according to their personal taste. saying the only way a tablet can work if it's closed is just a blind opinion started by one man.
    08-21-12 01:20 PM
    Hey look! it's the guy that was saying RIM should adopt WP8 for their next gen devices (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...phones-740447/).

Now he wants full Android PlayBooks.

Guess what I have for you OP.........

08-21-12 01:33 PM
    The ability to root should be a choice. The playbook is safe if you decide to not root. Rooting is at your own risk. The developers of cydia have already won the war against apple that they should be able to do with their device what they want.
    It is not a question of choice if using in business environment. Businesses need to be able to ensure a device cannot be rooted to protect own and client data.
    08-21-12 01:42 PM
    another failed trolling attempt
    Thachoc1, diegonei, hpjrt and 3 others like this.
    08-21-12 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD