But some of the praise for PlayBook sounds so overblown and does not sound too believable :-).
    Wait for your Playbook to arrive and you will never use your iPad anymore. I will be waiting for your review of the Playbook so that I can say "I told you so"
    11-26-11 08:03 PM
    I'm a new PB owner and very enthusiastic (like you HighlandBerry) about the thing. Full disclosure though I'm known to be an Apple junkie. I am however, open minded and always looking for what works best for me.

Why buy the PB? I succumbed to the fire sale pricing to try it out.

Chr**t almighty was I surprised at the PB strengths.

1. The size in your hand (which I thought would be a minus turns out to be a big plus)
    2. The processor speed/power.
    3. The OS layout.
    4. A used Bold picked up cheap compliments the package.

At work I generate all the standard corporate document formats that are easily transferred to and handled by the PB.

Waiting for OS 2.0
    I admire your patience.
    As it is key.
    11-26-11 08:07 PM
    Wait for your Playbook to arrive and you will never use your iPad anymore. I will be waiting for your review of the Playbook so that I can say "I told you so"
    That would be something, huh?
    11-26-11 08:08 PM

That would be something, huh?
    When I said "not believable", I was questioning the "credibility of OP, not the performance of the PB. I am sure it would be fine, particularly since I only paid $224.87 (with donations to the governments) for it.
    I have been patiently waiting for the 9790 (but only with wifi hotspot, which has already been announced), then I can wirelessly tether the PB (I have 6Gb data plan so I am not quite interested in the bridge function, which is probably a cumbersome process to link).
    11-26-11 09:07 PM
    Sorry to spoil the mood but this could be pr tag-team trolling. The first post is 'weird' and parcerita (joined more than 1 year ago and has 1 post - is this a mistake?)

It could be some recently banned people returning, one with a dormant life-line account and the other with a completely new profile....
    11-26-11 09:37 PM
    Sorry to spoil the mood but this could be pr tag-team trolling. The first post is 'weird' and parcerita (joined more than 1 year ago and has 1 post - is this a mistake?)

It could be some recently banned people returning, one with a dormant life-line account and the other with a completely new profile....
    Bastards .
    11-26-11 09:44 PM
    New PB owner here. Have had it for almost a week and I'm really enjoying it. While the lack of apps is still a downer (I'd love to have a native Angry Birds on it,) it does have some good points from my perspective:

Small size (good for my small hands - one of the reasons why I didn't bother with an iPad)
    Receptive to touch (normally I hate anything with a touch screen, but I find that the PB responds to my input 95% of the time)
    Works with BB smartphones (probably wouldn't be worth it if you didn't have one to begin with)
    Great speakers

The biggest problem I have is with inputting text when browsing. It's difficult to move the cursor and correct mistakes. Also, I've become used to the auto correct with the BB and have to remember to capitalize new sentences, etc.

In the grander scheme of things, I wouldn't have a PB were it not for the price drop. I really hope RIM comes out with some kick-a** innovations for the PB that could breathe life back into the company overall.

If you like Angry Birds you might like Assembler Mobile 2 in App World. You don't shoot birds to take-down structures, in this game you build simple structures to position boxes....
    11-26-11 09:47 PM
    Bridge is an excellent feature if you own a pb you defiantly need to get a blackberry :P
    11-26-11 10:18 PM
    I don't think he owns a Playbook either.
    Another explanation would be that he is really mad at RIM because he owned a Torch or had to buy the Playbook at the full price without doing a proper research on what to expect from the Playbook.

And, finally, I am pretty sure that all these people who can't see how wonderful the Playbook is really don't know how to use it. It's a professional tablet after all.
    Actually I own a Bold 9700 which I can't wait to get rid of. Believe me I've done plenty of research on the PB. I was strongly considering one and it was between the iPad2 and the PB. I waited and waited for RIM to release some solid details on the PB but come March the iPad2 came out, it's beautiful, a joy to use, has a huge ecosystem and fan base. I've been following the PB ever since just to see how it evolves, which is very slowly. I'll concede I do like the Bridge feature and smaller form factor but I think both of those will nullified once I get the iPhone5. Also the only reason I still read these forums is that its the only site my gimp of a phone will load properly. Every other regular website is apparently too large for the 9700 to load.
    11-26-11 10:30 PM

Lol no I just happened to buy a Storm a year ago and joined the forum but returned the phone the next day. I'm back because I bought the PB and this site is quite good to keep up with all things BB also I was looking into how to side load Android apps and the posts here have helped me do just that.

I'm not trolling either, it's just that OP's review had many points which were flat out lies and I'm a gadget freak so I just had to call him/her out on it. But I see that some people here are hardcore fanboys and make everything be about bashing other brands; will never understand this as 1) competition is good and 2) no brand pays you to promote them.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    11-26-11 10:32 PM
    Despite the fact the OPs long post may have had an inaccuracy doesn't mean their overall view isn't valid, plus its their opinion which they're entitlted to. Don't know why some people pick out one thing and act like it disproves every single statement made.

I will never understand people who come on to fans forums and are surprised by forum members not liking negative comments. Go try the same thing an Apple or Android site.
    HighlandBerry likes this.
    11-26-11 10:54 PM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    From what i have been hearing around Waterloo ... Playbook 2.0 release is going to be epic! .. so i can't wait!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-11 10:56 PM
    I will never understand people who come on to fans forums and are surprised by forum members not liking negative comments. Go try the same thing an Apple or Android site.
    The only difference is that there is no valid reason to praise any Apple or Android tablet. The Playbook beats them all and that's what these people are angry (jealous?) about.
    AZ87 likes this.
    11-26-11 10:57 PM
    The only difference is that there is no valid reason to praise any Apple or Android tablet. The Playbook beats them all and that's what these people are angry (jealous?) about.
    That's right we're all brainwashed. That must be the only simple and plausible explanation. It couldn't possibly be that people actually enjoy using Apple and Android products. omigodstevejobspleasetellmewhattodowithmylifepleas e
    anon(226560) likes this.
    11-26-11 10:59 PM
    From what i have been hearing around Waterloo ... Playbook 2.0 release is going to be epic! .. so i can't wait!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Going out on a limb...? If this is true, then some recent purchasers scored a good deal for themselves.
    11-26-11 11:16 PM
    When I said "not believable", I was questioning the "credibility of OP, not the performance of the PB. I am sure it would be fine, particularly since I only paid $224.87 (with donations to the governments) for it.
    I have been patiently waiting for the 9790 (but only with wifi hotspot, which has already been announced), then I can wirelessly tether the PB (I have 6Gb data plan so I am not quite interested in the bridge function, which is probably a cumbersome process to link).
    Actually, quite the opposite about the bridge. Its somewhat similar to adding a bbm contact by scanning the barcode. After you've set up the bridge once there's usually nothing you have to do afterwards. When you move out of bluetooth range the link breaks, and when you bring it back in range it reconnects. if you use a password on your phone you will have to enter that, you may find that a nuisance. Your data plan may allow you to do a bluetooth tether without tethering fees, which is preferable to bridge browsing, generally faster and will play flash. I have to confess that the playbook performance does seem to be impacted when i receive a bluetooth phone call while the phone is bridged.
    xanadome likes this.
    11-26-11 11:36 PM
    Actually, quite the opposite about the bridge. Its somewhat similar to adding a bbm contact by scanning the barcode. After you've set up the bridge once there's usually nothing you have to do afterwards. When you move out of bluetooth range the link breaks, and when you bring it back in range it reconnects. if you use a password on your phone you will have to enter that, you may find that a nuisance. Your data plan may allow you to do a bluetooth tether without tethering fees, which is preferable to bridge browsing, generally faster and will play flash. I have to confess that the playbook performance does seem to be impacted when i receive a bluetooth phone call while the phone is bridged.
    That's all true unless you have a Bold 9700 with OS 5.0 - maybe others? - when you turn off bluetooth on your phone - then there is no reconnecting by simply turning it back on.

Requires a battery pull to reconnect - anyone experience this on other phones/phone OS's?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-26-11 at 11:54 PM.
    11-26-11 11:40 PM
    ...omigodstevejobspleasetellmewhattodowithmylifepl ease
    no, that's omigodsiripleasetellmewhattodowithmylifeplease -

jobs passed the torch shortly before his demise and made an electronic female replica clone of himself. It had been a work in progress for years deep in the apple labs beneath a pyramid in egypt -
    11-26-11 11:43 PM
    93117 -
    I think you are just going to have to break down and get your 9900 you been talking about. I have read others with the 9700 having problems.

I have not had that issue on either my 9800 or my 9810.
    11-26-11 11:46 PM
    Actually I own a Bold 9700 which I can't wait to get rid of. Believe me I've done plenty of research on the PB. I was strongly considering one and it was between the iPad2 and the PB. I waited and waited for RIM to release some solid details on the PB but come March the iPad2 came out, it's beautiful, a joy to use, has a huge ecosystem and fan base. I've been following the PB ever since just to see how it evolves, which is very slowly. I'll concede I do like the Bridge feature and smaller form factor but I think both of those will nullified once I get the iPhone5. Also the only reason I still read these forums is that its the only site my gimp of a phone will load properly. Every other regular website is apparently too large for the 9700 to load.
    huh? My BS alarm is going off, and it's giving me a headache..

blackjack has questions:

-what's a "huge ecosystem" mean?
    -fan base or user base? Freudian slip?
    -the iphone5 will be a 7 inch tablet? It will do bridge or it will do everything a tablet will do, hence no longer required?

I have a 9700 - crackberry mobile web is hardly the ONLY site it will load properly on the entire world wide web! Kidding right? That is the only one I have NOT visited until now form my 9700 had it two years, never a hitch or a hiccup browsing - slow yes, crippled no.

Or are you smoking something? I know this is crackberry, but I think you stumbled through the wrong door in search of a refill...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-27-11 at 12:10 AM.
    11-26-11 11:53 PM
    93117 -
    I think you are just going to have to break down and get your 9900 you been talking about. I have read others with the 9700 having problems.

I have not had that issue on either my 9800 or my 9810.
    Sooo tempted, but I have decided I can't live without autofocus, and one handed thumbtyping, also I don't need papercuts on my hands because of the thinness.

I'm holding out for the 9790 and by then there will be more info on the QNX phones

The 9700 has served me well, still is - I have just learned not to turn off bluetoof ...
    11-26-11 11:57 PM
    That's all true unless you have a Bold 9700 with OS 5.0 - maybe others? - then you turn off bluetooth on your phone - then there is no reconnecting by simply turning it back on.

Requires a battery pull to reconnect - anyone experience this on other phones/phone OS's?
    Yes, that may be true. But even my 9800 will misbehave like that on occasions. It can go for long periods without that happening though.
    11-26-11 11:59 PM
    the only reason the trolls keep coming back is because they keep getting attention. I guess this is the nature of the internet. Now that I know how to ignore users I might need to start ignoring both the trolls and those who feed them

just started using repligo reader for android on 2.0 and love it. I like the ability to markup pdf's and add notes. I was wanting to switch over to epub for this but with repligo reader theres no need to now.

the android apps give all the functionality minus most of the glitchiness android is known for. Plus the security of a blackberry

The Playbook is becoming an Absolute Power House
    11-27-11 12:03 AM
    huh what?

Oh sorry I was on the phone.. I have a friend who works in Apple payroll and ran a report for me.

- apparently PhilUp's payments began on 10/15/11 after this post:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a native email client right anout now?
    He was a disgruntled 9700 user on crackberry, thus an easy sway. He was also given a free ipad - check the post history since that post. Sweet deal.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-27-11 at 12:08 AM.
    11-27-11 12:04 AM
    That's right we're all brainwashed. That must be the only simple and plausible explanation. It couldn't possibly be that people actually enjoy using Apple and Android products. omigodstevejobspleasetellmewhattodowithmylifepleas e

Oh great, more posters that love Apple coming to this BB fan site.
    11-27-11 12:45 AM
128 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD