...you lot! (Or, more accurately, some of you)

I find the rush to flame anyone who raises the slightest issue with the PB thoroughly off-putting.

I've come from iOS devices and genuinely love the PB. At �169 as it was here, it was a steal.

I've become an advocate of the PB and have advised lots of people to consider it.

But to try to pretend these are not problems with random browser crashes or any of another 100 things is just childish.

It doesn't show confidence in the device. It only achieves the exact opposite. The groupthink would actually make a newcomer suspect there is more wrong with the device than there actually is.

Can we we have an area of the forum for those of us who love the PB but not to the point of blindness?
    03-04-12 09:20 AM
    You're free to ask for a refund if you don't like what you find here. Otherwise, I suggest you set your personal "filters" and make the best of it.
    03-04-12 09:26 AM
    nothing, nada, zilch.
    03-04-12 09:26 AM

I find the rush to flame anyone who raises the slightest issue with the PB thoroughly off-putting.

I've come from iOS devices and genuinely love the PB. At �169 as it was here, it was a steal.

I've become an advocate of the PB and have advised lots of people to consider it.

But to try to pretend these are not problems with random browser crashes or any of another 100 things is just childish.

It doesn't show confidence in the device. It only achieves the exact opposite. The groupthink would actually make a newcomer suspect there is more wrong with the device than there actually is.

Can we we have an area of the forum for those of us who love the PB but not to the point of blindness?
    I agree.

I recently got a Playbook and thanks to OS2.0, actually like it and would recommend it

I've been a few forums for different gadgets I owned but there's something about CB and jumping down people's throats when they have questions.
    JeffyPooh likes this.
    03-04-12 09:29 AM
    My iPad2's browser crashes far more often on me than my PlayBook's.
    03-04-12 09:30 AM
    No one cares to discuss Apple products on a Blackberry forum. If you have a legitimate problem or concern that's fine, but as soon as you bring up how Apple products don't do this you throw your credibility in the garbage. Get it!
    alnamvet68, hpjrt and Spencerdl like this.
    03-04-12 09:32 AM
    I agree that some people asking questions are shot down in flames, which is not pleasant.

However, there are a plethora of ridiculous warnings, hyper-critical and deliberately controversial statements which just winds everyone up.

A browser crash is annoying, of course, so you ask if it happens to others, you don't post saying everyone shouldn't use the browser.
    03-04-12 09:35 AM
    another lame post with a negative title and get this - flames flamers. where can I get some more fuel. Dumb post, I am now actually dumber for reading it.
    Willard814 and Chrisy like this.
    03-04-12 09:41 AM
    I respectfully disagree. Just like 'real life', this place is made up out of a whole bunch of very different people. Some that may be blind to problems, others that see very well that the PB does have issues, just like any other electronic device out there.
    I like to believe we all have a well functioning brain that we can use to make up our own minds and come to our own conclusions. Some posts make sense, others I consider ridiculous or offensive. For the latter, I simply put on my ignore mode.

Also, I see you're fairly new here. I don't know how long you've been visiting the boards, but there have been times when the board was flooded by flamers. I'm not making any excuses, but that has caused a lot of us to be more wary of newcomers, especially when they use their first post to immediately express all that they feel is wrong with the device or the community. But in my experience, posts by newcomers who have a real question or issue, are mostly answered in a respectful way.

No, we're not perfect. But don't judge the entire group because of the few bad apples.
    03-04-12 09:49 AM
    No one cares to discuss Apple products on a Blackberry forum. If you have a legitimate problem or concern that's fine, but as soon as you bring up how Apple products don't do this you throw your credibility in the garbage. Get it!
    ...and this is the one thing that most of these new posters seem to ignore, and that this is a site dedicated to BlackBerry enthusiasts, and starting out of the gate as a new member criticizing BB supporters is the one sure fire way to blow your credibility and integrity clear out of the water.

Since I pride myself in being fair and balanced, I am happy to report that all enthusiast forums will "jump down your collective throats" the second you start diminishing the integrity of the enthusiast majority.
    03-04-12 09:49 AM
    I think questions and complaints are always welcome as long as they aren't baseless. I've had questions and problems and people in the forum have always helped me. Always. But things like "Browser crashes. Don't use it for important work" without any details are as educating as "Playbook cannot save you from drowning. Do not use if you work near a beach"
    Willard814, FF22 and Spencerdl like this.
    03-04-12 09:51 AM

For what it's worth, I agree with you. Though it won't make any difference to the tone of this forum I'm afraid. I guess there simply aren't enough reasonable people to go around, and the anonymity provided by a forum can sometimes make people behave like spoiled 2-year olds who realise that whatever they say, they'll never be any consequences.

I do realise this is a fan-site, but people's responses to others (frequently raising legitimate issues or asking questions) are often simply a personal and vitriolic attack. Now, I might understand that kind of response if the poster had criticised your religion, spouse, or country... but all that emotion over a gadget?
    JeffyPooh likes this.
    03-04-12 09:53 AM
    Obviously OP (with 2 posts), there is a distinction between real honest questions and negative bashing questions. I've found, in these forums, which I've been visiting for quite some time that their are a group of posters (some in disguise, some not) that likes to come to Crackberry and put BlackBerry products down for some apparent reason. A lot of them don't even own RIM products. Sometimes I think there jealous of the comrade that's on these forums. It needs to STOP......hint hint
    03-04-12 10:04 AM
    These are all fair responses. And yes, though this was only my second post, I've been reading for a good while.

My point wasn't about obvious attempts to wind people up. We can all identify and ignore those. It was about some of the hysterical responses to perfectly sensible posts.

I just think some people should have more confidence in the PB and not feel the need to rush to defend it every time.

Constructive criticism is good!
    samson47, JeepBB and VeniceBB like this.
    03-04-12 10:27 AM

Fair enough, I agree nothing is perfect, however perhaps you will admit that some of the "burning issues" that some complain about the Playbook are totally unimportant to others.
    03-04-12 10:44 AM
    How could there possibly be anything wrong with a device that I like and support? How there you find a problem with it!

Ignorance?
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-04-12 10:47 AM
    Yeah, but what our enthusiasts also do (see examples in responses in this thread), they start trashing other devices as soon as there is a slightest criticism of the Playbook. Btw, the OP didn't discuss Apple products in his post at all, but somehow it's become the focus of the discussion
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-04-12 at 10:54 AM.
    JeepBB and Harryl6134 like this.
    03-04-12 10:49 AM
    Yeah, but what our enthusiasts also do (see examples in responses in this thread), they start trashing other devices as soon as there is a slightest criticism of the Playbook. Btw, the OP didn't discuss Apple products in his post at all, but somehow it's become the focus of the discussion
    The OP mentioned coming from the iOS world....that in and of itself already brings into question whether his observation of the PB browser is colored by his iOS expeience.
    03-04-12 11:09 AM
    The OP mentioned coming from the iOS world....that in and of itself already brings into question whether his observation of the PB browser is colored by his iOS expeience.
    Did he ever compare anything to an Apple product?

All I see is this:

"I've come from iOS devices and genuinely love the PB. At �169 as it was here, it was a steal. I've become an advocate of the PB and have advised lots of people to consider it. "

Now, go a few posts down and see what the enthusiasts have to say
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-04-12 11:31 AM
    I personally think it is best to ignore people who are critical to you because you criticise the PlayBook or anything else. I like the Ipad and I like the PlayBook and I bought the PlayBook because it is better value and it is smaller and easier to carry but if I had an Ipad I would be quite willing to mention the benefits or disadvantages on a PlayBook forum or any other forum come to that matter. People who get irritated because somebody mentions another brand are anguished by living in a moderately free and uncensored land and long to be controlled by a totalitarian force of some kind.
    Always be happy to speak your mind and take praise and criticism with a smile.

Brian
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-04-12 01:02 PM
    I find these forums to be kind of like my Church: There are good, honest, helpful people and there are pessimistic, holier-than-thou, mean, childish people too. They all are a part of the body that makes the whole. The best part about it is that I don't have to like it, just accept it for what it is and focus on myself and what I do as another part of the whole.

Sometimes it's best to just allow people to be who they are. Getting upset says way more about me than it does about anybody.
    VeniceBB likes this.
    03-04-12 01:04 PM
    I agree.

I recently got a Playbook and thanks to OS2.0, actually like it and would recommend it

I've been a few forums for different gadgets I owned but there's something about CB and jumping down people's throats when they have questions.
    I think a lot of that comes from the months and months of users here seeing these classic posts/threads that were nothing more than trolls and a lot proven as trolls. So maybe some users are a little jumpy and I have been at times also. Lately I've been suspicious but give the benefit of doubt.

I've never said it's perfect and have things that I hope get an update to correct the bugs in them and also provides more enhancement which I think we will. Most of the things that I've run into are an annoyance at times but nothing that ruins my experience overall.
    alnamvet68 and Spencerdl like this.
    03-04-12 01:23 PM
    Stop the presses... apparently there are zealous BlackBerry fans posting on the BlackBerry section of Crackberry.com...

Whodathunkit?

In my years online on various forums, it's actually pretty tame in here.
    You should join a car forum and announce that you find the posters are rabid fanboys of the forum subject.... Whoohoo, that's good for six pages of flaming and usually a pretty swift ban from the mods.

And for every blind-to-the-truth fanboy defender post or non sequitur Apple bash, there are the usual suspects posting their one-note song about RIM's plunging stock price, penetrating economic analysis based on number of PlayBooks sold, lack of (insert app here) is a complete fail by RIM and a slap in the face to all PB users or the utter cluelessness of RIM as their contribution to the thread, regardless of what the original post had to say. These posters are prominent and easy to screen.

Fortunately, there are a majority of level-headed members here that make this place a good hangout for Playbook fans.

Welcome and enjoy.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-04-12 01:48 PM
    I personally think it is best to ignore people who are critical to you because you criticise the PlayBook or anything else. I like the Ipad and I like the PlayBook and I bought the PlayBook because it is better value and it is smaller and easier to carry but if I had an Ipad I would be quite willing to mention the benefits or disadvantages on a PlayBook forum or any other forum come to that matter. People who get irritated because somebody mentions another brand are anguished by living in a moderately free and uncensored land and long to be controlled by a totalitarian force of some kind.
    Always be happy to speak your mind and take praise and criticism with a smile.

Brian
    Brother, you nailed it!
    03-04-12 02:05 PM
    I do think that maybe some are a little quick on the trigger when someone criticizes the playbook because there have been so many posts created in the past simply designed to start a flame war. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just trying to understand why it happens. That said, I try to rise above and if I don't have something useful and courteous to post, I just don't post.
    JeepBB and Spencerdl like this.
    03-04-12 02:11 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD