In the sense that's essentially how you have to sideload every Android app to it yes - but it only supports up to Android 2.3 and even that is variable. Where using a Playbook is interesting us that you can actually see a snapshot of the way BB10 developed, it's like a primitive version of it, unrefined but plenty of potential. They didn't push it through unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    Is sideloading easy? Never tried it.
    08-14-14 04:02 AM
    Is sideloading easy? Never tried it.
    It is yes. It looks slightly daunting the first time you look at it, but it's actually straightforward as long as you have a PC. But it is mildly frustrating as you find a fair few of them won't work. Good ereader is a decent resource for ones that work more often than not. Some sideloading can slow down the Playbook quite badly though - it's trial and error. I must have loaded dozens but ultimately Kindle is about the only one I use regularly.

Posted via CB10
    MC_A_DOT and Carl Estes like this.
    08-14-14 04:18 AM
    It is yes. It looks slightly daunting the first time you look at it, but it's actually straightforward as long as you have a PC. But it is mildly frustrating as you find a fair few of them won't work. Good ereader is a decent resource for ones that work more often than not. Some sideloading can slow down the Playbook quite badly though - it's trial and error. I must have loaded dozens but ultimately Kindle is about the only one I use regularly.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm well I might as well jump on this seeing as my PB isn't getting used at the moment.
    08-14-14 05:04 AM
    Hmmm well I might as well jump on this seeing as my PB isn't getting used at the moment.
    The 'sideloading made easy' article from way back is the one to take you through it. I'd link to it. But I'm on the app rather than the laptop.

Showbox is one to sideload on to it by the way - there are threads on here with the bars available. Works ok.

Posted via CB10
    MC_A_DOT likes this.
    08-14-14 05:08 AM
    I'm not going to come out and say you aren't listening, but you have to admit that you are looking at a very focused usage, meaning for what YOU find important. This is not a WRONG view to have; it is just tailored to your needs. Yes, the playbook performs the tasks you want it to do; perhaps slower than say a modern tablet, but it gets the job done. I totally get it (and I still use my PB almost daily). Perhaps your wife wants a newer tablet to access games/apps which you don't find important. Maybe not. To be honest, though, your argument can be made on MANY items out there. Again, not wrong, but again depends on people's needs. Cars, houses, clothes, etc can all be argued in this manor.
    Why purchase a new/different house when you already have a place to live? A house is meant to provide 4 walls, a place to sleep and a roof over your head. Basic function of a house. So, we could argue that probably 90% of houses out there are over-sized for people's needs.
    Why buy a newer car if an older car still has 4 wheels and can continue to drive?

I'm not trying to argue with you, as I totally get your side of the argument, but at the same time YOU have to understand that just because the PB performs what some might consider the basic tasks you need it for, it doesn't meet EVERYONE's needs. You find Netflix irrelevant. Fine. Others pay for the subscription and would like to have the option to view it on the PB. If we would all have the same needs, we would have only ONE choice of everything. Different strokes for different folks.

BTW, you said you have a Z10. Why? An older blackberry would be able to make phone calls, play music, view photos and check/respond to emails. I'm again, not trying to argue with you, but you obviously chose a newer phone for a reason, so perhaps you can understand that some would want to chose a newer tablet.

Anyhow, this thread has become irrelevant, as you are comparing a newer tablet to the built in functionality of the PB, and what works for YOUR needs. Anything beyond these needs, you deem unimportant and therefore dismiss the points. Again, fair enough, but it's very focused to what you need the playbook for, and not what the PB can and can't do.
    08-14-14 08:29 AM
    Perhaps nobody can respond as there's less people using PB and cannot actually compare? and if they have the Playbook most hold on to it as many said they are still able to use their tablet.

I've never owned a PB though I still have my ipad2 and still serves me well but I bought lenovo s5000 because it was light and very comfortable to hold when I'm reading in bed. There?s no point in upgrading tablets they are limited in use.

via Q10
    Plenty of people in these forums have used/owned the PlayBook at this point but I'm just not sure they are they answers the OP wants to hear

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 08:59 AM
    I'm not going to come out and say you aren't listening, but you have to admit that you are looking at a very focused usage, meaning for what YOU find important. This is not a WRONG view to have; it is just tailored to your needs. Yes, the playbook performs the tasks you want it to do; perhaps slower than say a modern tablet, but it gets the job done. I totally get it (and I still use my PB almost daily). Perhaps your wife wants a newer tablet to access games/apps which you don't find important. Maybe not. To be honest, though, your argument can be made on MANY items out there. Again, not wrong, but again depends on people's needs. Cars, houses, clothes, etc can all be argued in this manor.
    Why purchase a new/different house when you already have a place to live? A house is meant to provide 4 walls, a place to sleep and a roof over your head. Basic function of a house. So, we could argue that probably 90% of houses out there are over-sized for people's needs.
    Why buy a newer car if an older car still has 4 wheels and can continue to drive?

I'm not trying to argue with you, as I totally get your side of the argument, but at the same time YOU have to understand that just because the PB performs what some might consider the basic tasks you need it for, it doesn't meet EVERYONE's needs. You find Netflix irrelevant. Fine. Others pay for the subscription and would like to have the option to view it on the PB. If we would all have the same needs, we would have only ONE choice of everything. Different strokes for different folks.

BTW, you said you have a Z10. Why? An older blackberry would be able to make phone calls, play music, view photos and check/respond to emails. I'm again, not trying to argue with you, but you obviously chose a newer phone for a reason, so perhaps you can understand that some would want to chose a newer tablet.

Anyhow, this thread has become irrelevant, as you are comparing a newer tablet to the built in functionality of the PB, and what works for YOUR needs. Anything beyond these needs, you deem unimportant and therefore dismiss the points. Again, fair enough, but it's very focused to what you need the playbook for, and not what the PB can and can't do.
    Great post. Exactly what I've been trying to say. It just don't make sense and having the Z10 was a great example. With that logic, I expect that the OP should pretty much have his PlayBook forever but I suspect they'll upgrade to the next tablet BlackBerry puts out. Which is fine but just say that then lol

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 09:02 AM
    To be fair, there have been others on this thread baldly stating that it's rubbish, useless, waste of money etc etc - which is just as much a personal matter as the OP's post.
    08-14-14 09:07 AM
    Blackberry and tablets are finished - its a shame but there is no turning back.

But now there is the Passport the mutant child of a phone & tablet. How much phone & how much tablet, will the mutant succeed? The suspense is killing me!
    kdeckels likes this.
    08-14-14 09:37 AM
    Agree on everything else except about supporting Canada. First of all PlayBook is no longer in production. Whatever inventory is left out there had been written off. Playbooks I believe were manufactured in Mexico, Taiwan or Hungary. I'll let others to correct me on the countries. But it's definitely not made in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    The PlayBook was made by Taiwan based Quanta Computers. Same company that made the original Kindle Fire.
    Elite1 likes this.
    08-14-14 09:42 AM
    Mines an HDMI monster...and occasionally a Web browser....mostly HDMI

Posted via CB10 app & my killer BlackBerry Z30
    anon(5597702) and Carl Estes like this.
    08-14-14 09:48 AM
    PS : I still love her

08-14-14 09:49 AM
    PS : I still love her

When is the wedding lol
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-14-14 10:41 AM
    Yessssss. 44 posts over the past day and not one. NUCA NADA NO-ONE responded to my initial challenge of. """""what can ant newer tablet do that a Playbook can't do""".??? So I am not going to upgrade to a comparable 2014 Ford Focus Type tablet like nexus when my 1967 CLASSIC MUSTANG ie BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK suffices and works. PB gets me to my final destination albeit with less whistles and maybe a bit less flashy and perhaps one minute slower. But dependable...

Posted via CB10
    Let it go bro. Even the folks in Waterloo see it as a failure.

Blackberry always.....
    08-14-14 11:51 AM
    Maybe things are different now, but I doubt it. Back when I had a Storm and Storm 2, I finally realized that the people who ran Blackberry never listened to their loyal customer base. Now I come back four years later to visit these forums and the frustration of users is still apparent in these posts. Blackberry sales are now down to 1.7 percent. They are not taking in enough cash to keep up with inovation anymore. In a few years, the company will be absorbed by someone else who is just interested in their patents and Blackberry will disappear.
    08-14-14 02:07 PM
    Maybe things are different now, but I doubt it. Back when I had a Storm and Storm 2, I finally realized that the people who ran Blackberry never listened to their loyal customer base. Now I come back four years later to visit these forums and the frustration of users is still apparent in these posts. Blackberry sales are now down to 1.7 percent. They are not taking in enough cash to keep up with inovation anymore. In a few years, the company will be absorbed by someone else who is just interested in their patents and Blackberry will disappear.
    Hello sir. Ever heard of BB10? People are quite happy with it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Elite1 and Carl Estes like this.
    08-14-14 02:30 PM
    U are entitled to your opinion but this really had nothing to do with the PlayBook...and they predicted BlackBerry's death like 3 years ago....

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 02:45 PM
    It is. I assuming this thread pertain to Playbook. Since it's no longer in production and the remaining inventory is written off.
    To be pedantically anal retentive, I think it was officially "written down" (meaning part of the value was written off but not all) and then that reduce priced inventory was sold through to end users. When they sold out of that, no more was made.

Written off means "scrapped".
    08-14-14 03:30 PM
    What can the playbook do that the fire can't??
    So, I deliberately replaced my PlayBook 64 GB with a Kindle Fire HDX 64 GB. I was hoping to benefit from Android apps and wanted to try Android further. The price was also right ($330 CAD vs. like $600 or $700 for a comparable iPad Mini) and I wanted it to replace the PlayBook as a primarily media and games device.

What could PlayBook do that my Kindle Fire HDX couldn't based upon my needs and preferences?

- Connect to an HDMI TV when I traveled for work for either gaming or movie watching
    - Show titles for any of the videos I wanted to watch, instead giving me thumbnails
    - Pause the video when the screen was touched instead of flicking to the next video and losing its place
    - Present a proper notification of updates or emails etc, requiring me to dig through the OS
    - Easy app removal (remove it from device; from cloud) when I wanted to drop an app
    - Natural app version control, particularly if an app came from outside Amazon's store
    - Bridge to my phone for email or messaging
    - Open word, excel, pdf or powerpoint emails sent to me without getting an app
    - Easily set up a lot of obscure or aliased emails (ie. .Mac instead of iCloud)
    - Set up a file share with my computer without an app
    - View flash content on my favorite news and programming sites
    - Provide a simple tool to get files on and off of my device out of the box. Link/Desktop Manager suck, but it wasn't the same as Amazon's "Go here, get the Android file utility; Go here, get the Kindle app; Go here, get the cloud app" approach.
    - Provide a simple, straightforward way to identify and close a running app
    - Provides a clean straightforward settings screen.

But the worst part of the Kindle Fire HDX? It's a freaking Quad Core device that is the laggiest most miserably slow device I've ever seen at times.

Stick on hundreds of songs or dozens of movies? Slows to a crawl.
    Run more than two apps at once? Slows to a crawl
    Have a couple of services in the background? Slows to a crawl.

And when I mean "slows to a crawl", I don't mean "sluggish PlayBook AIR apps". I mean it won't respond to me touching it for seconds. It doesn't have enough memory, doesn't have proper app switching. Installing a cleaner helped it but I'm constantly having to use the cleaner to shut things down. Sometimes the cleaner becomes unresponsive. Video controls become unresponsive. Password sliders become unresponsive. Not laggy ... unresponsive. Even after reboots, it persists.

As much as PlayBook had its issues, I always found a use for it. Kindle Fire is the only tech product I've genuinely hated buying. Because even though it had potential (A great screen, nice form factor, nice price), the lag is so utterly atrocious on it, I despise using it.

My iPad Mini (work), my Z10 (home), my Lumia 1020 (work) and my iPhone 5S (work) do not suffer from lag and responsiveness compared to this quad core device.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-14-14 03:44 PM
    I'm starting to think it is only a myriad of playbook laid off employees who post here and have lost their401k.
    And being a proud canadian I'm not gonna get a new tablet which has all the google blob ware. I'm supporting CANADA
    This proud Canadian thinks the laid off employees lost their 401k.
    KermEd likes this.
    08-14-14 08:08 PM
    Canadians don't have 401ks, since that's a U-S law.

Posted via CB10
    Masterherm, Nels and Cynycl like this.
    08-14-14 10:24 PM
    Hi Kermed, I have a question regarding removal of Version numbers from BAR files. Can you help me with this? I am working on a project regarding installation of BB10 apps on PB Dev 10. So far, I ha r successfully installed about four apps from BB10 and they run, but I would like to try the browser from BB10. Can you help out with this?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Masterherm likes this.
    08-27-14 12:14 PM
    Hello sir. Ever heard of BB10? People are quite happy with it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Unfortunately "people" only encompasses the few. What's BB10 market share <1%?

The other poster was quite right. Rimberry is so out of touch with their existing customer base, were then, and still are now, let alone having any feasible plan for gaining additional market share.

BB10 may be wonderful, but 99% of consumers will never know or care. Not a recipe for success and that is on BlackRimberry because they continue to operate as if the opinions, wants or needs of the consumer don't matter.

Oh and to the OP............try wireless streaming from your Playbook to your tv, connecting a usb stick to it, see how well that works.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 08-28-14 at 03:31 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-28-14 02:27 PM
    She has a name, it's Beth

09-01-14 05:08 PM
    You can't ask for a response and then discount some of the main reasons why people have moved away from the platform.

What does a car offer over a horse and cart? And saying it gets you there quicker, comfortably, dry and not smelling of horse **** doesn't count!

Personally I still use my PB 64GB when we go on camping trips. I can load it up with lots of videos for us and the kids to watch and if I lose or break it I'm not that bothered because it only cost me �80.
    anon(5597702) and Carl Estes like this.
    09-02-14 09:05 AM
244 ... 56789 ...