Bought one a few months ago, just because i wanted one. What a huge mistake this thing is horrible, apple sure wins this competition.
    Hmmmmmm.. I bought a brand new iPad Mini a few months ago, and I'm thinking what a huge mistake that was. I still use the PB daily, while the brand new iPad sits most of the time doing nothing. I won't go as far as to say I hate it, but I do hate the fact that I spent so much on a paperweight.
    anon721037 likes this.
    08-12-14 07:21 AM
    Hmmmmmm.. I bought a brand new iPad Mini a few months ago, and I'm thinking what a huge mistake that was. I still use the PB daily, while the brand new iPad sits most of the time doing nothing. I won't go as far as to say I hate it, but I do hate the fact that I spent so much on a paperweight.
    Makes a point that everything is totally different for everyone. And that some of these threads are here just for argument sakes.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.2.1531
    anon(5597702) and kbz1960 like this.
    08-12-14 07:30 AM
    I hate my playbook. Mostly because of the browser. It sucks a**.

Posted via CB10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...le-now-830403/
    08-12-14 08:20 AM
    my wife's can act as a remote control. The playbook CANNOT do that fast or slow. so there.
    08-12-14 09:01 AM
    Citrix
    Run Windows Executables (What did DOS Box do, again?)
    DLNA, WiDi or even Mircast
    Run newest flash
    Run java
    Run real Minecraft (i.e. Have important apps) {Minecraft is "important"??)
    ActiveX or any browser plugins
    Use a decent camera (Really? The camera isn't that bad. Not to mention it can record 1080p video.)
    Go above 1024x780 (If you use the HDMI out, it does.)
    Have support by the manufacturer
    Get updates
    Have a warranty
    NFC (How many people use NFC, though? It has it's rare use cases, but come on.)
    Bluetooth 4
    USB out

Etc etc etc.

Same question reversed. What does the PB do that nothing else can? (It can Bridge with a BlackBerry device. )
    I think OP should've asked what can other tablets the same age as the PlayBook do that the PlayBook can't. In which case, the answer would be "practically nothing."

Origami Browser sucks. It closes randomly and it doesn't save your options. Not to mention it doesn't play any Flash content. (Or is it HTML5?) If all you want to look at are text and pictures, Origami will be fine.
    08-12-14 09:28 AM
    What about flash users?

Origami didn't help, I have it and it was still choppy.
    08-12-14 09:47 AM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook is the only tablet that requires 4+ minutes to boot up.

Eat that Android!
    08-12-14 09:53 AM
    What about flash users?

Origami didn't help, I have it and it was still choppy.
    Flash works a-ok on Origami. Behind the curtain, Origami is essentially the stock browser with a different look and feel. If you're using desktop mode, there's no reason flash videos shouldn't play just as they would in the stock browser.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-12-14 09:55 AM
    I think OP should've asked what can other tablets the same age as the PlayBook do that the PlayBook can't. In which case, the answer would be "practically nothing."

Origami Browser sucks. It closes randomly and it doesn't save your options. Not to mention it doesn't play any Flash content. (Or is it HTML5?) If all you want to look at are text and pictures, Origami will be fine.
    It does play Flash content. You're likely using a mobile browser agent.
    08-12-14 09:56 AM
    But considering the Playbook hasn't booted yet, those four minutes must count among the happiest of your life...
    08-12-14 10:03 AM
    It is a gesture-only tablet.
    08-12-14 10:06 AM
    For the record, I agree that the PlayBook was never as good as it could have been. I always likened it to the smart kid that never applied himself and got mediocre grades.

When I switched to a Kindle Fire HDX , I didn't a 10x upgrade. I did get a nicer screen, and a faster device. I also got integrated Amazon services and some apps I wished were on PlayBook (Skype and Netflix)

I also got
    * massive OS lag problems where the whole device would become unresponsive for seconds or even minutes when only a couple of apps were running or too many files are on the device. This is far worse than a sluggish browser or AIR apps on the PlayBook as the whole thing becomes miserably slow. I used my PlayBook as a video playback, music playback and game device. As a rule, it handed those things fairly well. The Kindle lags regularly when I try to do the same things and the media app (particularly video) is horrible.
    * A convoluted app management process where apps got out of sync and it was many steps to remove them from the device
    * Terrible notifications that caused me to miss key things
    * An app store that also missed key apps and was incompatible with the main app store
    * no rear-facing camera
    * Settings buried in settings and a convoluted UI paradigm that made me really miss PlayBook's elegance

While I wished PlayBook would grow into more than it did, I liked it well enough to keep it. The Kindle is likely going to be sold and replaced with an iPad Mini - never to have an amazon successor.

I love Blackberry and my Z30 but the PlayBook was just never as good as it 'could' of been
    I actually agree with this
    08-12-14 10:12 AM

Eat that Android!
    Never an issue though, it's not like you ever have to reboot it, right?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-12-14 10:16 AM
    I think OP should've asked what can other tablets the same age as the PlayBook do that the PlayBook can't. In which case, the answer would be "practically nothing.".
    The Palm Pilot circa 1996 was an awesome game-changer that put every other electronic organizer in existence to shame. However, if you gave me a fully functional one, today, I would still turn around and throw it in the garbage.
    08-12-14 10:26 AM
    The Palm Pilot circa 1996 was an awesome game-changer that put every other electronic organizer in existence to shame. However, if you gave me a fully functional one, today, I would still turn around and throw it in the garbage.
    It's 2014, I still use my playbooks. Only three years old and still relevant.
    08-12-14 10:37 AM
    I still use my Playbook for web browsing, Crackle in web browser, Amazon Prime Movies in web browers, this will end now that I'm getting a Fire TV but I still think is the most beautiful tablet, hope it could have gone further with the ecosystem, so after I get the Fire TV it will only be a toy for my little kids since my Z30 does all of the job these days, let's hope blend brings some more life to it.
    08-12-14 10:52 AM
    Even though I don't qualify to respond (hate? Isn't that too strong an emotion for an electronic device?) I do want to make a suggestion to those who have given up on their PlayBook's performance.

Do a full backup, and then do a wipe and restore. I did this to mine a few month's ago (a 64GB WiFi) and (although you'll lose the position of some applications, since the position isn't stored in the backup, for some reason...and any Browser shortcuts copied to the home screen) you'll find that performance is back to what it was when you first got it.

Yeah, I use mine less now with my acquisition of a Z10. And probably even less once/when I get a Passport. But it's still a very servicable tablet.
    anon(5597702) and Carl Estes like this.
    08-12-14 12:59 PM

Hrm, i've never had it close randomly. I never bothered messing around with the options haha.

As for flash/html5, im not sure, but I don't remember having an issue with espn.com

I found it faster then the stock browser, I just wanted to put that option out there for people who don't even know about it.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 01:41 PM
    Really!! What can any other tablet do that playbook can't. Please don't recite mantra it's slower, not as many apps, and you can't use netflix etc websites. Who the hell cares for majority users?. Playbook is a quality sturdy tablet. I can drop it and still use it I can access my email, cruise websites, watch videos, listen to all my music, use gps , play chess play games etc etc ETC ETC ETC aud nauseum. JUST LIKE THE MYRIAD OF OTHER TABLETS. What gives.?? Why do you hate playbook so much? I'm starting to think it is only a myriad of playbook laid off employees who post here and have lost their401k.

Posted via CB10
    The fact is that the majority of users do care about the things you listed.

I can also do all the things u listed on an old android phone... But it does feel more efficient to have eveything at your fingertips, and with a device that is speedier... At times, even typing was lagging slightly on my pb..

I have a z30 now.. Much faster.. Apps are there, and it still works when u drop it... Fact is, it is better im afraid . And I would choose this over the pb and an old android that can do all the things you listed.

I have an ipad and while it doesn't have the efficiency of bb10 it's still really really good... The fact is also, that playbook 'haters' are not replying...

What's being said, or what I've said at least is the truth not an opinion.. Ios and bb10 are faster than the pb.. Have more apps and are just overall more feature rich, hardware and software wise. I don't know why anyone would dispute that. That's not hating.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-12-14 01:46 PM
    Haha this thread really is serious isn't it?

Camera is pretty bad
    Bare boned native apps
    The Facebook app.....nuff said

The PlayBook can do very basic stuff but still is pretty bad for some of those. Go to the pictures app and share a photo. Go ahead.....share it to anything. see how far you get. I'll wait lol
    amjass12, MC_A_DOT and kbz1960 like this.
    08-12-14 01:53 PM
    Go to the pictures app and share a photo. Go ahead.....share it to anything. see how far you get. I'll wait lol
    Actually, sharing pics from the playbook is pretty easy. Just because you don't know how to do something doesn't mean it can't be done.
    anon(5597702) and jtv1 like this.
    08-12-14 02:29 PM
    Sorry not a hater, I got my PB as a B-day gift. I had hemmed and hawed as I never had a tablet and finally I had it given to me. I was thrilled. The bridge was awesome with my 9800. I really enjoyed Kobo on it (except one file type I was not allowed to purchase as it didn't work on BlackBerry) About a year and a half later I suppose my wife was stumped for a Christmas gift and even though I never asked for one, she got me a Nexus 7. It was fun to try some different games on it, I got hooked on one for a long time. Once I got my Z10 and the bridge stopped working as it had before, I just found I hardly ever picked it up anymore. It still had a few niche uses like streaming TV episodes from CTV, or Global, City TV etc.. or Kobo. The browser was okay but I started to notice slower load times. I still use it occasionally to let my kid play games. I liked using my Nexus 7 to extract apps to side-load onto my Z10. Oddly enough my nexus 7 stopped being able to accept a charge as the USB port seemed to have died on me no matter which charger I tried over a month ago, so it technically died before my PB. Regardless, Once I got my hands on my Z30 this past Feb, I really hardly picked up either so I don't find myself missing out on anything from either of them, including Netflix etc. The Z30 has great sound, Miracast, FM radio, HDMI out, a huge SD card for music and movies and I could go on and on. If I could also load iOS apps I'd have it all. My wife still uses her original iPad. It still works which is rather shocking but we don't use it for too much other than a quick game (or long game) at night time. Stone Age and Agricola are two excellent games not currently available on BlackBerry or Android.
    08-12-14 02:50 PM
    Actually, sharing pics from the playbook is pretty easy. Just because you don't know how to do something doesn't mean it can't be done.
    Could you enlighten us?? Do you mean by downloading a 3rd party app? Or emailing as attachment?
    08-12-14 02:54 PM
    There a lot more clicks to do the same task. I get why BlackBerry 10 didn't come to PlayBook, but if it did (and ran well), I would have kept my PlayBook. Lots of little touches in BlackBerry 10 like the universal sharing I can't live without now.
    08-12-14 03:35 PM
    Could you enlighten us?? Do you mean by downloading a 3rd party app? Or emailing as attachment?
    All Playbooks running OS 2 have android Gallery as part of their android runtime, and Gallery has a share function.

Only PlayBook Haters Please Respond-img_20140812.png

That being said, you do need an app to access the runtime apps, and in fact Gallery is anything but stable on the Playbook. It is far easier to use one of the android file browsers to share, such as Ghost Commander (in app world) or ES File Explorer or X-Plore File Manager. The following pics show X-Plore, the first in it's navigation pane after tapping the pic to bring up it's options function (notice the share option) and the second shows the pic opened in X-Plore's internal pic viewer (again notice the share option).

Only PlayBook Haters Please Respond-img_20140813.png

Only PlayBook Haters Please Respond-img_20140814.jpg
    08-12-14 03:40 PM
244 ... 23456 ...