First of all, I wouldn't consider the Playbook price drop a "firesale", rather more of a way for Rim to get more Playbooks out of the shelves and into the hands of consumers. That said, I have done a little work to check the status of the Playbook sale numbers at Futureshop and Best Buy.

Both sites say they are out of stock in their online store. And after doing some actual store stock check, quite a few locations are out of stock. Hopefully this is a good sign that the sale is working and Rim can get the numbers up closer to where they want them to be and make the masses happy with the OS2 release.

I posted a few screenshots, but feel free to add locations in your area if they appear to be selling out. And it doesn't have to be Best Buy or Futureshop. I tried Staples but didn't see a store stock check option.
    09-25-11 10:38 AM
    just saw the US staples store mark down each playbook $200. Very sweet! a 64gb PB for 500? Tempting....
    09-25-11 10:46 AM
    If you are tempted I would say jump on it before they sell out
    09-25-11 10:53 AM
    I think sales in Canada are looking quite a bit healthier. I know quite a few units were moved with the Rogers/Telus employee pricing.
    09-25-11 11:08 AM
    I guess the 800,000 of them are sitting in taiwan somewhere? Nice to see the sales are getting more sold but the out of stock thing doesn't mean much if their stock was a couple.
    09-25-11 11:20 AM
    Wow, I better get some people to act on their purchase before it's too late! This is a good thing!
    09-25-11 11:44 AM
    I guess the 800,000 of them are sitting in taiwan somewhere? Nice to see the sales are getting more sold but the out of stock thing doesn't mean much if their stock was a couple.
    Actually that report is, to say the least, unconfirmed. Many analysts are saying it is very unlikely that there are any where near that number of unsold units sitting around. Maybe a couple hundred thousand, but not 800,000

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-11 12:49 PM
    I think they are selling better at future shop as opposed to Bestbuy. The backorder number has been steadily decreasing at fs.

If OS 2 delivers and tablet stays at 399, I can see a lot more tablets sold.
    09-25-11 05:58 PM
    It may or may not mean much, but if anything it's a positive sign.
    09-25-11 06:43 PM
    Just an update on my findings: Futureshop in my local search is sold out of the 16gb model in 12 of the 25 closest stores to me and Best Buy is sold out in 6 of 9!
    09-28-11 10:36 PM
    Yet another update, but the Futureshop.ca and Best Buy.ca online stock status now says that they are available. Does this mean that these stores ordered more from RIM?
    09-30-11 08:32 AM
    Excellent post. The information which you had given was really very nice.
    I hope to see such quality posts from you in the future...
    Thanks for sharing.

Ecommerce, online store
    12-09-11 05:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD