We all know the 'It was one of the toughest decisions I had to make' Thor speech from July 2013 last year, after announcing BB10 was not coming to the PlayBook.

But....what happened to this part from the CrackBerry article: 'It's not all bad news for PlayBook owners, however. We asked the BlackBerry CEO if they're considering any sort of loyalty reward for PlayBook owners to help maintain the BlackBerry love, to which he responded it's something they have been actively discussing and considering.'

How have we gone from this position to where we are now?

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    kevinnugent and Carterbits like this.
    05-31-14 10:55 PM
    There has been a change of hands since then, and it has probably long since fallen by the wayside, all things considered.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    05-31-14 10:58 PM
    As Pappagallo says in "Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior": "If you had a contract, it was with him. And it died with him."

Does the above have legal validity to the situation of PB owners? The answer may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

I have two PBs and I've gotten over that CEO's lies and broken promises concerning the PB. You, of course, are welcome to whine about it to your dying day.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-01-14 12:57 AM
    Considering the current status of BlackBerry and its resources, it maybe cold day in hell before our whining can even be heard...

But as the priest said during sermon, "faith" is what matters most...

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 02:22 AM
    You guys need to wake up from that bubble... Playbook is dead, they are not going to do anything with the device. That's the reality and we need to move on.
    06-01-14 05:56 AM
    Well the playbook was never out of beta was it?
    I use mine daily and feel that berry should honor those promises even if ownership changed hands!!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 07:44 AM
    I too use my BlackBerry PlayBook daily, along with my Q10. I'm thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab that Sprint offers ($49) and like my wife and son, only use wifi for it and still use my PlayBook as my daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 09:25 AM
    How have we gone from this position to where we are now?
    It's not the popular vote, I know, but the relative indifference, after the initial no-BB10 uproar had died down, by most of the user community, shrugging once or twice and then moving on, never really helped the cause (if there ever was such a cause to begin with). As such there never was a clear message that was being sent to Blackberry. No wonder they did more or less "as they pleased"...
    schwede likes this.
    06-01-14 09:55 AM
    Well I have certainly moved on from my 64gb playbook which is now gathering dust on my bookshelf, where it can stay unwanted and unloved until it gets dumped along with the rest of my clutter. Given the treatment of pb owners by BB, I have made the decision that I will never again give BB a single penny. It was one of the easiest decisions I had to make.
    maclancer likes this.
    06-01-14 01:23 PM
    It's not the popular vote, I know, but the relative indifference, after the initial no-BB10 uproar had died down, by most of the user community, shrugging once or twice and then moving on, never really helped the cause (if there ever was such a cause to begin with). As such there never was a clear message that was being sent to Blackberry. No wonder they did more or less "as they pleased"...
    Dismal sales and third party software companies not even acknowledging the Playbook existed was a pretty loud and clear message. Problem is, if the intended message receiver is deaf, all the screaming in the world won't be heard.

Well I have certainly moved on from my 64gb playbook which is now gathering dust on my bookshelf, where it can stay unwanted and unloved until it gets dumped along with the rest of my clutter. Given the treatment of pb owners by BB, I have made the decision that I will never again give BB a single penny. It was one of the easiest decisions I had to make.
    My current blackberry is probably my last as well. I will use it until it is so outdated I can't stand it and I am probably going to jump ship. Preferably to a smartphone THAT HAS APPS.
    06-01-14 03:29 PM
    True, I never denied that. Making the company follow up on promises like the one mentioned by the OP would have been a community effort.
    06-01-14 03:32 PM
    Broken promises or not, at least Thor appeared to care!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    darkhawk likes this.
    06-01-14 04:05 PM
    That might qualify as rewriting history just a little too much, I'm afraid. Neither Heins nor Chen care(d) about the user...
    06-01-14 05:04 PM
    John Chen - "If there’s enough money on the table, then we may do something about that.”
    Corollary - If we have to put money on the table, then we probably wont't do anything about that.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-01-14 05:34 PM
    My current blackberry is probably my last as well. I will use it until it is so outdated I can't stand it and I am probably going to jump ship. Preferably to a smartphone THAT HAS APPS.
    I understand all the frustration as a PB user that also had such high hopes. Anyway, I'm not trying to single you out, but I didn't get this last bit. Why would anyone torture themselves with a device that does not have the apps they need and then not only endure it but continue to endure it until the device is outdated and therefore useless even to those that didn't need the apps in the first place? You can always come back if/when BB figures out how to get apps on their devices. I hear that will happen soon.

The PlayBook is dead in my books. I still use mine. It's still kicking, but it is 3 year old tech that was never finished. If BB continued with it they would have run themselves dry in no time. I like their phones better than their tablets and if scrapping the PlayBook meant that they can pull themselves together and continue offering phones than I say forget the PlayBook. Maybe if they can make something out of QNX and BES and start making good money they can start building tablets again. Or not whatever. QNX always was meant to be the future of BlackBerry.
    andy957 likes this.
    06-01-14 09:07 PM
    Like seriously, this hatchet should be buried for good. PB will not be the first and last bad investment or purchase all PB owners will make in their life time. Life could be worse.
    06-01-14 09:54 PM
    If that's your toughest decision, perhaps your priorities are out of order .
    After all, we're only talking about a small handheld mobile device that, while it's convenient, really isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.
    (just my opinion, of course)

and ALL is not lost. They make excellent paper weights and Chia- Pets to die for!
    andy957 likes this.
    06-01-14 10:27 PM
    If you want it to live, learn to code and write/release apps for it. Otherwise go buy something else. It's a hobbyist's machine now.

Posted via CB10
    rdm101 likes this.
    06-01-14 10:45 PM
    dont particularly care about bb10, dont particularly like android tablets going by the one I am using to try and get used to them. it seems to be a lot of work to get them to do the same stuff the playbook can. even though some apps are better and also the ones we wanted in the first place most of us can like without skype and whatsapp.

surely the cheapest thing is to update the android runtime.
    06-02-14 01:56 AM
    Bought my PlayBook on day one - it's always been a sore point that I paid $500 more for mine than my best friend paid for his.

Like others, I still use my PB every day; it's my alarm clock. For actual tablet use, I've moved on to Windows.
    andy957 likes this.
    06-02-14 04:05 AM
    If you want it to live, learn to code and write/release apps for it. Otherwise go buy something else. It's a hobbyist's machine now.
    I agree, but the restrictions Blackberry placed on coding the little bugger would almost tempt me to urge people to seek another platform for coding as well...
    06-02-14 04:11 AM
    Like seriously, this hatchet should be buried for good.
    If you want to get people to bury the hatchet for good,
    bringing up the necessity to do so doesn't necessarily help...
    I see this thread as a necessary step towards closure
    after the petition had to shut down a couple of days ago.
    06-02-14 04:14 AM
    It's such a shame that one of the best tablets with beautiful potential had to be done away with in this manner.

I love BlackBerry but this playbook issue is a sore point.

My next tablet will be a windows 8 for many obvious reasons, barring the fact that I'm beginning to hate the fact that Microsoft is beginning to create an enclosed system like Apple currently has. It sucks but the potential for the tablet is 'up there', so to speak.

BlackBerry have something good going with the BB10 but time will tell. We're barely floating as it is...
    06-02-14 04:24 AM
    Finally we can start seeing our Playbooks as a grown-up Tamagotchi pet,
    where keeping it alive becomes more important than actually being able to do anything useful with it...
    06-02-14 04:47 AM
    I think a number of people here are relatively frustrated with the Playbook and how BBRY handled the whole thing. I bought it during the "fire sale" period at the end of 2012 and have been using it since. I PARTLY bought it with the expectation that BB10 would come to it, but in the end, I still use this thing on a daily basis. Yes, it doesn't have all the apps I would like to have on it, and yes in many ways it is slower than, for example my wife's Ipad 2. BUT, I still use my PB for watching video, reading books, and checking email during my commute. As a basic tablet, it does work well enough for my needs. I'm going to look into the whole idea of using this for car navigation, but that's not a high priority. For the price I paid, I'm likely to get 2+ years out of my PB, which to be honest is pretty good in today's tech world. I wish it could do certain things, but my Z10 or my wife's ipad2 often fill those gaps. Even if there would be a loyalty reward for current PB owners though, I'm not sure that I would take advantage of it.
    06-02-14 07:35 AM
51 123