I agree, but the restrictions Blackberry placed on coding the little bugger would almost tempt me to urge people to seek another platform for coding as well...
    For some things, yes the restrictions are a problem. But they aren't so severe as to prevent you from writing useful stuff for it. You gotta work with what you got.

Posted via CB10
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    06-02-14 07:43 AM
    but you are talking ****. @kb5zht

> My current blackberry is probably my last as well. I will use it until it is so outdated I can't stand it and I am
    > probably going to jump ship. Preferably to a smartphone THAT HAS APPS.

What Apps does you look for and can't find?
    Everything you got the other big OS you have there.
    Okay, they have other names, but you can search for them.
    06-02-14 07:55 AM
    You guys need to wake up from that bubble... Playbook is dead, they are not going to do anything with the device. That's the reality and we need to move on.
    My kinda guy...shoots from the lip!
    Exactly.
    06-02-14 08:18 AM
    My kinda guy...shoots from the lip!.
    Problem with shooting from the hip/lip is that one generally misses the intended mark. Just like all these generic comments of "ridicule"...
    schwede likes this.
    06-02-14 09:52 AM
    As Pappagallo says in "Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior": "If you had a contract, it was with him. And it died with him."

Does the above have legal validity to the situation of PB owners? The answer may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
    You guys were not promised anything. Vague remarks to the media about "considering" a loyalty reward mean absolutely nothing.
    EchoesFX likes this.
    06-02-14 10:02 AM
    You guys were not promised anything. Vague remarks to the media about "considering" a loyalty reward mean absolutely nothing.
    ^ This. Instead of waiting for some specific PlayBook loyalty reward, there have been plenty of deals for BlackBerry customers anyone could take advantage of, *if they had bought a device running BB10*.

All those free premium apps through the various giveaways in 2013, plus the deals through carrier channels on discounted hardware like the $100 Z30 I got through VZW went more than far enough to satisfy me.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 11:43 AM
    Broken promises or not, at least Thor appeared to care!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    underlined and bolded the operative word for you
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    06-02-14 11:45 AM
    As far as I can tell the main reason why these threads will never truly go away: People can keep on sugar-coating ("it's a 3 year old device", "the company has bigger worries than the Playbook", "get over it/get a life") the end of the Playbook, but in the end the harsh reality is that Blackberry messed up big time (from day one of the little device or so it would seem). It's not that people like me need to get over it per se, it's that the people who keep on defending Blackberry (no matter what, apparently) should really start to acknowledge this big mess Blackberry made before making disparaging remarks on threads like this. Or maybe a bit of both�
    MADBRADNYC, Witmen and schwede like this.
    06-02-14 01:51 PM
    but you are talking ****. @kb5zht
    Wow, why so hostile in your very first post here? Should at least introduce yourself before speaking in *s.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    06-02-14 02:23 PM
    Wow, that 3 years went fast. I'm still using my Playbook after 3 years, for browsing and I always load it up with movies when traveling. For a 3 year old device it still fills a lot of gaps for me. With my Z30 I don' think I'd ever get another tablet, my Z30 and a small notebook and I'm good to go.
    acovey likes this.
    06-02-14 02:32 PM
    Why start another thread about this? Didn't you guys already beat this thing to death in the Save the PlayBook petition thread???
    Lendo likes this.
    06-02-14 03:06 PM
    But....what happened to this part from the CrackBerry article: 'It's not all bad news for PlayBook owners, however. We asked the BlackBerry CEO if they're considering any sort of loyalty reward for PlayBook owners to help maintain the BlackBerry love, to which he responded it's something they have been actively discussing and considering.'
    I know it's a rhetorical question, because you know like I know they were just stupid, empty words.
    06-02-14 03:53 PM
    As far as I can tell the main reason why these threads will never truly go away: People can keep on sugar-coating ("it's a 3 year old device", "the company has bigger worries than the Playbook", "get over it/get a life") the end of the Playbook, but in the end the harsh reality is that Blackberry messed up big time (from day one of the little device or so it would seem). It's not that people like me need to get over it per se, it's that the people who keep on defending Blackberry (no matter what, apparently) should really start to acknowledge this big mess Blackberry made before making disparaging remarks on threads like this. Or maybe a bit of both�
    Spot on! Some will never understand, or choose not to...but might just get an idea when they are told 'The Q10 is 18 months old so what the keyboard doesn't work, move on and get a Q30'

06-02-14 05:35 PM
    ... But I have used a playbook nonstop since a few months after it was released. At first it was my Playbook, Curve 8520 and hp laptop. Not long after, I upgraded to the BlackBerry Style and MacBook Air to go along with my Playbook. Last year I upgraded to the Z10 and thought I'd be gravitating away from Playbook. I bought a Microsoft Surface to be my laptop/tablet solution. But you know what? Despite sincere efforts to switch, I find myself picking up the Playbook every day. The Surface is awesome for MS Office, but otherwise Playbook is a more comfortable form factor and an overall superior user experience.

Yes, the browser is slow. I downloaded Origami and it's easily as fast as IE on the surface (though I'm not sure anything is as fast as BB10). Yes, app selection isn't great, but I have all the apps I need for work, school and downtime. Yes the hardware is getting long in the tooth, but I still get a full day of intensive use out of it between charges. The surface has to be plugged in after about 3 hours.

Playbook has gotten me through 3 years of college quite well. My 16GB suffered a cracked screen a couple of weeks ago, but my loving bride let me have her 64GB model and I'm still going strong.

Am I sore the Playbook didn't get the promised BB10 upgrade? Sure, who wouldn't want to see BB10 on a tablet? But the way I see it I've gotten way more than my money's worth out of this device.

When I graduate next spring my wife has promised to buy my dream car, a 1995 Camaro. I fully intend to make my Playbook my in-dash infotainment system. As far as I'm concerned BlackBerry has nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to Playbook except their horrendous marketing flaws.
    06-02-14 07:57 PM
    BlackBerry messed up PlayBook from beginning to the end and PlayBook costed them much monetarily and strategically. Monetarily in terms of writedowns and strategically in terms of tarnishing the brand. Supporting PlayBook and making peace with PlayBook owners is the least of BlackBerry the company's worry at the moment, the company's existence in near future is much more worrying.
    06-02-14 10:36 PM
    Origami Browser as fast as IE on the Surface? Origami uses the same browser core as the stock PB browser and that thing is a lurching zombie starving for brains

I'm surprised why anyone can even defend BBRY's abandonment of the PB. Z10, Q10 and Z30 users could have the same thing happen to them too, and what will be the excuses coming from fanboys' mouths then?
    06-02-14 10:46 PM
    Origami Browser as fast as IE on the Surface? Origami uses the same browser core as the stock PB browser and that thing is a lurching zombie starving for brains

I'm surprised why anyone can even defend BBRY's abandonment of the PB. Z10, Q10 and Z30 users could have the same thing happen to them too, and what will be the excuses coming from fanboys' mouths then?
    Have you used IE on the Surface? No speed demon there. And Origami is noticeably faster than the stock browser, at least on the 2 Playbooks I own.

Am I a fanboy? Sure, and proudly so. I'm not defending BlackBerry though; not their bungling of the PlayBook, or their complete ineptitude when it comes to marketing or business strategy. No, BlackBerry only have themselves to blame for the mess they're in. I do, however, believe that BlackBerry has the best products for my needs.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 05:10 AM
    Supporting PlayBook and making peace with PlayBook owners is the least of BlackBerry the company's worry at the moment, the company's existence in near future is much more worrying.
    You're probably right, but as a Playbook owner with no additional Blackberry devices to call my own (and no intentions to buy any), now that Blackberry have apparently stopped (or are about to stop?) any even minimal support for the Playbook I for one can wholeheartedly say that I do not care one bit if Blackberry will be able to pull through. For customers this shouldn't even be the main consideration. They should give you good service no matter what state the company is in...
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    06-03-14 07:20 AM
    My 64GB pb is still alive and kicking and getting daily use.

However, I no longer buy any apps for the PB cos I fail to see the need allow BBRY to continue milking cash out me when they won't support me.

And please don't chime in with BBRY can't do this, or the PB is old tech etc. cos you'll get short shrift from me.

I've got a perfectly respectable BBRY tablet that can't use BBM (BBRY's FLAGSHIP APP) and can't use BBRY's video store ( becasue of licensing issues ).

However, my Z30 has a working video store so explain that. It's a case of BBRY not being bothered and hopoing it will all go away. Well BBRY's indifference to it's users has transferred to the public who now now have a marked indifference to it's products - hence low sales revenue.

The stupid thing about all this is the PB is a solid performer with probably the best tablet user experience, but BBRY failed to act on this and make it the KILLER tablet it should have been.
    06-03-14 07:20 AM
    My 64GB pb is still alive and kicking and getting daily use.

However, I no longer buy any apps for the PB cos I fail to see the need allow BBRY to continue milking cash out me when they won't support me.

And please don't chime in with BBRY can't do this, or the PB is old tech etc. cos you'll get short shrift from me.

I've got a perfectly respectable BBRY tablet that can't use BBM (BBRY's FLAGSHIP APP) and can't use BBRY's video store ( becasue of licensing issues ).

However, my Z30 has a working video store so explain that. It's a case of BBRY not being bothered and hopoing it will all go away. Well BBRY's indifference to it's users has transferred to the public who now now have a marked indifference to it's products - hence low sales revenue.

The stupid thing about all this is the PB is a solid performer with probably the best tablet user experience, but BBRY failed to act on this and make it the KILLER tablet it should have been.
    I agree, BlackBerry could easily keep the BlackBerry PlayBook in the Support framework. It is a great device and if you maximise the PlayBook , with the correct array of Apps Native and Sideloads, it is still a multitasking and Media beast. There probably isn't a better OS out there. The PlayBook is also still part of the Phone/Tablet setup for most BB10 users...it's madness not to continue support!!

Last edited by PlayBook UK; 06-04-14 at 03:16 AM.
    06-04-14 01:08 AM
    Broken promises or not, at least Thor appeared to care!

Thor really seemed to care about the customers, and the community! I liked that guy! And what he did!

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 09:29 AM
    When all is said and done, I just hope that Blackberry has learned something from what is honestly a monumental failure on its part. I think we can all agree on on that final point at least. I still like my Playbook as much as any other current user here. I think that as a community of technology enthusiasts we are all just frustrated because we have this great piece of hardware that's incomplete. We know what it is missing and we know that if those voids were to be filled, then the Playbook would be a truly great device. The proof is in the pudding so to speak. People are still using. BB10 on this device would make this three year old device competitive in 2014. That's huge. It proves that Blackberry can make a great device. The collective Blackberry team just has to make sure that it has all of its ducks in a roll. It was headed for a slam dunk, but dropped the ball inches from the hoop.

The bottom-line is that if you take the Playbook for what it is then you will probably still be happy with your device for a long time to come. Should we hold out for a positive response from Blackberry regarding it? No. Is it time to unclench our fists so to speak? Probably. Would any of us buy another tablet from Blackberry? Maybe. If they came out with another tablet, I'd consider purchasing it. It would be against my better judgement, but, at the very least, I would not be an early adopter. There are a lot of other options out there for your tablet needs. I think that the easiest transition for a current Playbook user is probably a Windows 8 tablet and then in a close second, Android. iOS 7 (and likely 8) is solid and everything, but it just largely feels sluggish when I compare it to BB10 and the Playbook even. BB10 is just so fluid. The home button slows me down on iOS devices. You know Apple came back from a dark time. Blackberry can make a return that is just as triumphant (probably not as great admittedly but still). Just keep up the focus.
    06-06-14 10:04 PM
    It would have been easier for BlackBerry to fund some App intergration early on and then you would have had a successful tablet. I'm sure if that. Skype and Netflix come to mind and so would have been a good start. How much would it have cost for BlackBerry to work with these App Owner/Developers to port Native over to the PlayBook? Remember the standing and extra staff at BlackBerry at the time.

06-17-14 03:38 AM
    To me it has become painfully clear that the biggest mistake Blackberry made with the Playbook was trying to get into the tablet market at all. They apparently never were prepared for it and saw the Playbook market as an extension to their phone market. And, sadly, the tablet market isn't really comparable to the phone market. They may understand how the latter worked, of the former they didn't have a clue (from day one).
    Summing up: biggest mistake Blackberry made with the Playbook? The Playbook!
    06-17-14 06:40 AM
    I can well understand the irritation of those who bought the Playbook for full cost when it was released. Trouble is, most bought it heavily discounted much later, and for those of us who did, we've had a pretty decent tablet for peanuts. I still use mine, and still like it. But then I paid �120 for a 64GB one. It was and is a bargain, irrespective of not upgrading it to BB10.

So yes it would have been nice, no I'm not especially fussed. The only thing I ever wanted was an updated Android Runtime. Didn't happen, oh well never mind. I can't be that fussed.
    nealjane1 likes this.
    06-17-14 07:54 AM
51 123