Just read on another thread that the PB has a built in GPS. Is this true for all models, or just the 3g models? I ask because the ipad only has internal gps on the 3g models... thx.
    06-01-11 04:24 PM
    i believe this goes for the wifi one as well, though im not sure the purpose without a data connection. unless they plan for the maps to be stored locally, which would be sweet
    06-01-11 04:30 PM
    yes we got a gps chip in the wifi its not working right as of right now. it does work sometimes with the compass app and the google map search app. but idiotically these all require us to download from a net connection rather then loading the maps into the device like a handheld gps. yes i know the maps take up a good amount of space. but yes its there.
    06-01-11 04:31 PM
    The availability of onboard gps would be huge. Especially with onboard maps. I want a windshield mount for my Mazdaspeed 3 so I can take 1080p videos when I race it at the local tracks. Maybe even use the PB to access the car's onboard systems for diagnostics and tunings via a paid app and connector plug.

That would sell a LOT of these things. We use laptops now, but they get in the way.
    06-01-11 04:46 PM
    All PlayBook models have a GPS. I'm sure we will see on-board maps soon enough and then we will have one big-screened GPS unit!
    06-01-11 04:57 PM
    you can use samsung galaxy tab GPS:
    YouTube - ‪Galaxy Tab in-Car Demo. Navigation, Audio, Speakers.‬‏

Can you use BP the same way?
    06-30-11 03:10 PM
    it does have gps works fine for me with the new update. Also as far as what use would it have, as another poster stated if the maps can be stored locally and also while tethered you get full use of you apps and most new phones share wifi so several ways to use your devices without 3g. Personally I think built in 3g/4g is a scam, you pay less when you tether (with at&t anyway) and you get to share your devices connection with more than 1 device.
    06-30-11 05:13 PM
    it does indeed have gps built in

as a stop gap until we have maps on board, google maps through the bridge browser works fine and can make use of the gps (click the small dot above the zoom scroller on the left)

it cant quite compete with a proper nav device, but its better than nothing
    06-30-11 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD