I just installed the Splashtop HD app which is now on sale in App World and, even though OS 2 is just a few days away, I am just blown away with this app. With it, I can print remotely from my computer, watch Netflix, and do just about anything I can think of. I can even use a gradebook program that is Windows 95 based... Yes, Windows 95! I installed it on a Windows 7 computer. The computer wasn't happy about it, but it works; and now I can use it on my wonderful, wonderful PlayBook, too! Oh, happy day!
    02-18-12 11:22 AM
    Yes, good app.
    Personally I preferred the "Remote Desktop for Blackberry Playbook" one, but taste and color ...
    traveaso30 likes this.
    02-18-12 11:27 AM
    yeah i really prefer remote desktop itself...a little more secure. Logmein would be the best IMO
    02-18-12 11:37 AM
    Can you please give some arguments why you both like Remote Desktop more?

I still want an app like that but I can't seem to choose.
    02-18-12 11:48 AM
    I tried both apps. While Splashtop was good, for me Remote Desktop for Blackberry Playbook works better. Both are excellent apps.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-18-12 11:49 AM
    Can you please give some arguments why you both like Remote Desktop more?
    I still want an app like that but I can't seem to choose.
    EDIT : First : no PC client needed (I can connect to PCs and Servers without prior install required)
    Mostly, Then, the screen render overall quality & for pinch and zoom in particular.
    Then, some usage like the scroll lock.

P.S: both have issues with foreign keyboards.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-18-12 at 12:01 PM.
    02-18-12 11:57 AM
    yeah i really prefer remote desktop itself...a little more secure. Logmein would be the best IMO
    Point is that RDP does not need any client to be installed on the PC, While splashtop & log me in do.
    One more point in favor of RP for BB PB. IMHO
    02-18-12 11:59 AM
    Cannot get mine to work outside my LAN.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-18-12 12:08 PM
    Cannot get mine to work outside my LAN.
    You need a public IP or a dynamic DNS.
    Then you need to set up your router with appropriate port forwarding, if needed.

This point is easier with splashtop, I should have mentioned it.
    You can register an gmail address and all goes easy by itself.
    02-18-12 12:12 PM
    I'll throw in the extra 1.50 euro and get RD for PB then , and I dont mind the foreign keyboard issue, my country just uses the US/international layout.

And I have an 24 inch monitor, will the 1920 x 1200 resolution properly scale to my PB? As 1024 x 600 is a fair bit.. smaller, to say the least.
    02-18-12 12:16 PM
    How can I determine if my computer (Vista, 64bit, Home Premium) supports this app before shelling out more money? Apparently, Vista might have issues. Is there a way?

Shall I trust one of you fine chaps to see if they can get into my computer????

added: Oh, how would I INSTANTLY sever the connection - besides pulling out the power cord!!!!
    Last edited by F2; 02-18-12 at 01:17 PM.
    sshahrul76 likes this.
    02-18-12 01:15 PM
    How can I determine if my computer (Vista, 64bit, Home Premium) supports this app before shelling out more money? Apparently, Vista might have issues. Is there a way?

Shall I trust one of you fine chaps to see if they can get into my computer????

added: Oh, how would I INSTANTLY sever the connection - besides pulling out the power cord!!!!
    That's one of the good things about Splashtop, it works on any PC no matter the system. RDP only works in some of them.
    02-18-12 01:34 PM
    You need a public IP or a dynamic DNS.
    Then you need to set up your router with appropriate port forwarding, if needed.

This point is easier with splashtop, I should have mentioned it.
    You can register an gmail address and all goes easy by itself.
    No idea what you are talking about but I am using the gmail path. No problem discovering the remote desktop, but the app crashes when I try to connect. No worries, I have spent enough time on this, including changing all the firewall and anti-virus setups as per Splashtop instructions, but to no avail. Life is short. If this thing is not meant to work, I can live with it, or rather without it.
    blue-b likes this.
    02-18-12 01:40 PM
    One more vote for Splashtop! RDP only works on some systems and mine isn't one of them and unlike Logmein, Splashtop doesn't alter the screen on the computer other than a small initial "Playbook connected" bubble that goes away in 10 seconds. So, nobody will even know I'm connected. I have Splashtop installed on several computers at work and at home that allow me to troubleshoot issues, retrieve files, print and I can access the security camera system with complete control. With a recent update, we can know have a blank screen on the computers (think: nannycam at home!).

Completely awesome.

If it worked while bridging I'd name my next kid Splashtop!!!
    02-18-12 02:05 PM
    Any chance of a free remote desktop program in OS2? I need to get one of these RD programs but haven't decided on which one yet.
    Jonathan-Archer likes this.
    02-18-12 02:54 PM
    i connect via splashtop from my office wifi back to my old dinosaur of a computer running xp, and stream itunes playlists. I also connect to my wifes vista laptop. its on the home network, so works faster for drag and drop to dropbox for things ive forgotten at home.

splashtop is dirt simple.

i found that if i set the xp resolution to 800x600 it was a lot easier on the playbook. more area for fat fingers.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-18-12 06:37 PM
    when i use it to play movies( ie gomplayer), i get the sound all messed up, its very static

anyone else can play movie clips?
    02-18-12 06:59 PM
    At first I enjoyed using the app and even put my gmail but I found out the app makes me appear online on gchat. I don't like to chat on gmail or have any emails on it.

so Aborted the app. on the look out for new one.
    02-18-12 11:54 PM
    Which one of the incarnations is best for MAC please?
    02-19-12 12:16 AM
    I use splashtop I do not use the Gmail rouge didn't even know it existed until reading this thread. Can someone explain what the Gmail route does? PS are these programs able to stream at better rates with future upgrades? I want it to have no lag what so ever for things such as netflix lol
    02-19-12 01:29 AM
    whats the best screen resolution? mine seams to have a crap quality.
    02-19-12 05:56 AM
    On Splashtop I can keep an eye on my Boeing 747 flight to Bangkok (Flight Simulator) while watching a Film with the Girlfriend. Nuff for me
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    02-19-12 07:26 AM
    Using the Gmail login on the playbook allows you to use this over the network without any complicated handling of ip addresses etc.
    As long as you are using your playbook on the internet where the ports are not blocked, your playbook will find your computer and will work. It is not just for use over the same Local network.
    02-19-12 08:54 AM
    Most comments on Appworld mention RD to be slow, while no such issue mentioned on Splashtop comments.
    Also, any security risks while going the Gmail route?
    Your input will help me taking the best solution .....
    02-19-12 10:42 AM
    Can someone explain a bit more about the "gmail connection"

Does the computer (desktop, lap, etc) have to be logged into the gmail account actively in a computer's Browser when using it? Or do you just have to have established one? In other words, if I have not even opened a browser on my computer or have but not logged into gmail, does this thing work.

I only tested it about a month ago, and frankly, it was so sluggish and laggy as to be almost useless. But it may be my slow dsl or it might have been Starbucks. In home it was almost instantaneous.

There is also some concern on my part of using the gmail which could be used by others once established????? You do enter the gmail id and password over an open wifi connection?????
    02-19-12 10:46 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD