The red star is supposed to be apart of the new messaging application notifications. While there was no direct address of the red blinking light, it does look to be directly associated with messaging notifications as well.
    i hope there is a way to disable it somehow because in the video it didn't stop blinking even after he checked his messages. in which case if it stays blinking it would annoy the out of me as i can barely stand it on my phone.
    Last edited by omega supreme; 01-11-12 at 02:17 PM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-11-12 04:53 AM
    Huh..I thought mine did..but I got it as a gift..so maybe my wife purchased it seperately. Although I could swear it was in the box when I opened the packaging. Oh well..back to the topic
    what you saw was actually a usb cable. you can find plenty of hdmi cables on amazon (i got mine for $1.48).
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-11-12 04:58 AM
    Google & Hotmail calendars showed up in the PIM when I configured the associated e-mail accounts.

I would assume that's how it will work in the PB.

EDIT: BTW, I haven't seen the "out-of-sync" issue with Gmail at all with my 9800. Did you set up Gmail as just a regular e-mail account on your 9810? Or are you using additional software?
    With regard to email sync, check BB's own link here:

KB05133-Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

This describes the mail reconciliation features with common webmail services. Note that there is no sync whatsoever from Hotmail's webmail interface TO the smartphone (only if you make changes FROM the phone). With Gmail, there is sync both ways via BIS, but note their disclaimer " Reconciliation changes from the mailbox to the BlackBerry smartphone might require up to 6 hours." 6 hours? I realize that the actual sync time will vary by carrier, but contrast this with an ActiveSync implementation that is almost instantaneous, and you'll see how frustrating this is...

With regard to calendar, there's no option from Windows Live (hotmail) calendar short of desktop syncing or a 3rd party app like AstraSync, so if you're seeing your calendar there, it isn't syncing OTA (I verified by just setting it up on my 9810, and there's only a checkbox for contact sync). However, for Google, it looks like BIS has added support for 2-way calendar sync since I last used it. Even still, it appears that it suffers from some of the same limitations as Google Sync (e.g.- auto-deleting past calendar events).

Again, this stuff isn't tech armageddon or anything here, but it is one more example of the stuff that's killing the BB brand. Every other smartphone platform has a native means to access Activesync-based email/calendar/etc. services. It's easy, it works, and all my devices stay in sync. RIM doesn't give this option on any of their devices pre-PlaybookOS2 and BB10. I realize that's because their core business is the proprietary backend services, but if you don't use BES (which still provides a second to none email experience, btw), the Blackberry email/PIM experience is limiting. I'm still crossing my fingers for a BB10 experience that allows for a true BES, BIS, and provides native Activesync support as an option. We'll see... Until then, I'll suffer on
    01-11-12 12:44 PM
    i hope there is a way to disable it somehow because in the video it didn't stop blinking even after he checked his messages. in which case if it stays blinking it would annoy the out of me as i can barely stand it on my phone.
    what the deuce?? i was censored?!?... you can't even say #@*$! (inferno) in these forums?? is this place run by mormons?? it seems even the FCC is more lenient than these forums.
    01-11-12 02:15 PM
    Wish BB had realised that the playbook needs a quality book/PDF viewer and developed a decent rss reader more than spending time on the silly remote function. No developer is going to develop a quality book/pdf or rss reader for them. Even apple had to design their own.
    IDK about you, but ive found that the Adobe Reader that came installed really suits the needs for a pdf viewer.
    01-11-12 04:50 PM
    I ignored the one "extra" cable in my box but thought it was an hdmi cable. I finally decided to hook it up to the tv and went in search of it. Unwrapped it and tried as I might to plug it into the hdmi port. No can do! I finally looked at it - usb cable!!! What - who needed another one of those. I was surprised that it did not contain an hdmi and was sure that was what it was.
    I can't think of anything that comes pre packaged with a hdmi cable unless its a special offer.

James
    01-11-12 04:55 PM
    what the deuce?? i was censored?!?... you can't even say #@*$! (inferno) in these forums?? is this place run by mormons?? it seems even the FCC is more lenient than these forums.
    Whatever you do, don't use the eff you see kay word because it's NOT censored, and I can only imagine why that is....good way to earn a few thousand demerit points, when you think it will be automatically bleeped.
    01-11-12 05:17 PM
    Who the f*ck cares about the worst tablet on the market??? Get a freakin iPad already!!!

\JK!!! Was jus trying to see how it feels to make a stupid ifan comment like that. I did kinda feel dumb for a sec after posting that comment
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-11-12 05:23 PM
    I can't think of anything that comes pre packaged with a hdmi cable unless its a special offer.

James
    My Moto Atrix came with a micro usb to HDMI cord..which is why I didnt think any different of the one I seemingly got with my PB. I keep forgetting to ask the wife if she bought it seperately or not.
    01-11-12 05:29 PM
    Whatever you do, don't use the eff you see kay word because it's NOT censored, and I can only imagine why that is....good way to earn a few thousand demerit points, when you think it will be automatically bleeped.
    odd; how is h_ll worse than the f word?? they even use it on nikelodeon. i even used it in relation to the playbook led in how it would "annoy the h_ll out of me" and it got censored. i mean blanked, deleted. censored would have been suitable if it got a black strip over it because at least readers could fill in the blank but the way they do it here makes my sentence incoherent...ah well, i guess i'll have to put an asterik or something for when i really want to *$?!#ing express myself.
    01-11-12 05:50 PM
    I got so excited yesterday with all these videos that I sold my 16GB this morning and picked up 64GB from local Staples !
    01-11-12 06:00 PM
    Great coverage from the Crack team. Looking forward to the OS updates and treats which are instore for us very soon.
    01-11-12 06:13 PM
    "Fracking" works great. Just type "what the fracking heck are you fracking doing to my fracking posts....frack" and we will all know what you intended and nobody has to waste valuable breathing time with such silly silly fracking silly deleting......hint, I didnt really mean "silly"
    01-11-12 06:14 PM
    I did notice Facebook mentioned in the Contacts App where the guy from RIM was showing off the "Integration" - I'll try and find the exact spot in the video later but it was within a contact that didn't have any social links and its said "This Screen will pull in Status Updates from Twitter, Linked In, Facebook, etc" I don't see why it wouldn't be there as I'd imagine it should be fairly easy to setup, plenty of other third party apps do it.

If you pause at 4:56 in the above youtube video you'll see a profile picture with a little Facebook 'F' in the bottom right hand corner. Similarly, a linked-in source seems to have a similar 'in' icon too.

The possible integration does pose a number of questions though:

1)
    Will Facebook actually allow RIM to extract contact data for integration into the Playbook contact app?
    2)
    To allow for all the neat linked-in integration, does one need to have a linked-in premium account?

J.
    01-11-12 06:19 PM
    Damn is acceptable but idi0t is not.
    01-11-12 07:38 PM
    I've been trying to access the thread about unlocking your blackberry. It comes up,"Error, not found". I tried to access other threads and I get the same thing. So, I clicked on this one at the top of the page and I got in. How do I get into the page about unlocking your phone? I know my password on my phone but it's not letting me in. I've tried 9 times! I have one attempt left. If I get the same thing all information will be erased. I have saved text messages that I need for court as I have a warrant out for a guy who stole over $13,000 from me and these text messages prove it. I can't afford to lose them. Can anyone help?
    01-11-12 09:28 PM
    @sportyGal.... what model of BB phone do you have... I found way too many!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-11-12 09:37 PM
    @SportyGal.... i posted your info in the thread you started... go here

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...8/#post7022843

Now back to the OP's Thread... carry on.
    01-11-12 09:52 PM
93 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD