I'm sure there will be an update to the bridge app on or around release of 2.0. Those new functions appear in the menu screen of the phone and we would need a new bridge app for those.
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-10-12 01:31 PM
    i sure hope us os6 users can enjoy the remote also.
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-10-12 01:45 PM
    FYI - rroyy doesn't modify anything. he just makes the original Bridge file from RIM available OTA for ATT users to get without getting trapped by ATT shenanigans.
    Sorry, I didn't know that.
    01-10-12 01:46 PM
    Now that OS2 is on its way, will the price of the Playbook go up?
    tprime and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-10-12 01:48 PM
    Great stuff, native e-mail, calendar, and that pro grade multi-tasking within the social networking apps is over the top. Adding that predictive, intuitive, contextual keyboard, and it's time to change your BVD's.

Time to call the broker and pick up another 500 shares.
    01-10-12 01:52 PM
    Well I hope that rroyy can make another modified version for us AT&T users.
    You can count on rroyy! Never failed us yet!
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-10-12 01:52 PM
    Great stuff, native e-mail, calendar, and that pro grade multi-tasking within the social networking apps is over the top. Adding that predictive, intuitive, contextual keyboard, and it's time to change your BVD's.

Time to call the broker and pick up another 500 shares.
    I have on my clean Hanes and I just called my broker and he is on it!
    alnamvet68 and Serkle K like this.
    01-10-12 01:54 PM
    Loving the new features, and I'm loving where they're going with the integration between the phone and tablet platforms, but...

Am I the only one that sees that there's still going to be a gap in the email experience between phone and Playbook for folks using any of popular webmail services? My issue right now is that checking my Gmail account from anywhere BUT my Torch 9810 results in it being out of sync with every other device that has that account configured and the webmail interface. The lag and lack of true sync associated with having a Gmail account on BIS is still a killer. Your choices to work around this still come down to a couple of options:

1) Leave Gmail BIS configured on the phone and deal with only checking from your phone (or bridge mail on the PB) and/or cleaning up the mess on the phone manually after checking elsewhere

OR

2) Use the old, now-unsupported Gmail app to check gmail on the phone, remove from BIS, and enjoy having all devices in sync at all times. The downers here are that the Gmail app hasn't been updated in ages, is incapable of real HTML email, and provides a sub-standard experience compared to native BB messaging.

Anyone else feeling this pain?
    01-10-12 02:27 PM
    Loving the new features, and I'm loving where they're going with the integration between the phone and tablet platforms, but...

Am I the only one that sees that there's still going to be a gap in the email experience between phone and Playbook for folks using any of popular webmail services? My issue right now is that checking my Gmail account from anywhere BUT my Torch 9810 results in it being out of sync with every other device that has that account configured and the webmail interface. The lag and lack of true sync associated with having a Gmail account on BIS is still a killer. Your choices to work around this still come down to a couple of options:

1) Leave Gmail BIS configured on the phone and deal with only checking from your phone (or bridge mail on the PB) and/or cleaning up the mess on the phone manually after checking elsewhere

OR

2) Use the old, now-unsupported Gmail app to check gmail on the phone, remove from BIS, and enjoy having all devices in sync at all times. The downers here are that the Gmail app hasn't been updated in ages, is incapable of real HTML email, and provides a sub-standard experience compared to native BB messaging.

P.S.- This situation is worse for folks who use webmail services other than Gmail, too... At least there's some level of BIS integration/sync there (and I don't count POP3 as a viable method of sync)
    01-10-12 02:29 PM
    P.S.- This situation is worse for folks who use webmail services other than Gmail, too... At least there's some level of BIS integration/sync there (and I don't count POP3 as a viable method of sync)
    I'm guessing this all won't be truly solved until BB10 comes out and all devices are using the same OS and email setup. Unless RIM can switch OS7 devices to the new email method, I can't see the two of them working together perfectly.

I'm hopeful it's decent though! If not, I'll probably just use Bridge for most of my emailing needs. Hopefully the Bridge Emails "app" also gets the fancy features of font editing, etc as the new Native email app!
    01-10-12 02:53 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted here already but here's another video from the BB facebook page...

BlackBerry - Wall | Facebook
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-10-12 02:55 PM
    Thanx cruiser.
    01-10-12 02:59 PM
    I just finished watching that video not too long ago... It wasn't mentioned in Kevins walk through, but I like the "Growing Numbers" feature of the calendar! It's a really nice and subtle feature.
    01-10-12 03:04 PM
    i sure hope us os6 users can enjoy the remote also.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...remote-687540/

It appears it will work for os 5,6,7
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-10-12 03:09 PM

OR

Not that I have or use GMail, but its not a specialized app on os 7, its just a configurable email account like yahoo (which I use). Someone that has it configured would have to sound off, but I thought it was fixed within 7.
    Last edited by undone; 01-10-12 at 03:12 PM.
    01-10-12 03:09 PM
    My issue right now is that checking my Gmail account from anywhere BUT my Torch 9810 results in it being out of sync with every other device that has that account configured and the webmail interface.
    You may want to delete and re-add your Gmail account in BIS. While it's not perfect the issues were largely resolved. When I read emails on my phone they become marked as read in Gmail almost instantly. Going the other way is a little slower (anywhere from 5 mins to an hour), but reading emails online does always result in them becoming read on my phone.
    Last edited by taylortbb; 01-10-12 at 03:50 PM.
    01-10-12 03:31 PM

OR

I second this...it's the main reason why I still use the defunct Gmail app on my Torch 9800...maybe I ought to retry setting things up now as indicated in the post above.
    01-10-12 03:41 PM
    Wish BB had realised that the playbook needs a quality book/PDF viewer and developed a decent rss reader more than spending time on the silly remote function. No developer is going to develop a quality book/pdf or rss reader for them. Even apple had to design their own.
    01-10-12 03:53 PM
    Thanks! this is going to be good. (gets up to get popcorn and a beer) Can't wait.
    Oh man,you kill me!!!!

Northernlady likes this.
    01-10-12 04:04 PM
    Now that OS2 is on its way, will the price of the Playbook go up?
    In the end, a Playbook's only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

That said, this update adds value to ALL Playbooks, I believe, and I think RIM is in a great position to re-boot the product. A few minutes ago, I got the shipping confirmation for the 64 GB that I ordered last week for $299; I'm EXTREMELY happy.

I'll likely hold off on selling my current 32 until after the update drops; it will be much easier to sell then!
    hpjrt likes this.
    01-10-12 04:04 PM

OR

If the current phone experience is any indication, none of this should be a problem AT ALL. I have access to my Google and Hotmail calendars right off my phone. Why would we expect that experience to be any different on the Playbook?
    01-10-12 04:09 PM
    If the current phone experience is any indication, none of this should be a problem AT ALL. I have access to my Google and Hotmail calendars right off my phone. Why would we expect that experience to be any different on the Playbook?
    How are you accessing the calendars from your phone? Via the mobile web interface? Or are you just syncing with your desktop? With the Google one, you could use Google Sync (which has it's own set of issues), but with the Hotmail one, you don't even have that option.

Again, my real point is not that the Playbook implementation is flawed but rather that the improvements to the Playbook (which are moving in the right direction) don't do anything to address the core flaws of the messaging system design on any of their current smartphones (which assumes that the Blackberry is the end-all, be-all of your email world as opposed to the "accessible anywhere" direction that the rest of the world has been moving toward).
    Last edited by bassoprofundo; 01-10-12 at 04:24 PM.
    01-10-12 04:19 PM
    Native email, contacts and calendar are great. Issue I have is awful connectivity to non Blackberry phones. I love my playbookand have great respect fro RIM, but its inability to bluetooth correctly to my Sensation is annoying....and the remote is great if you have a blackberry, which no-one will have in a year or so unless they move out of the dark ages.

So good and bad for me...but some of the good is truly magnificent
    01-10-12 04:25 PM
    i have to admit, I'm very impressed with the Messaging, Contacts & Calendar apps. Let's face it, these are ESSENTIAL apps on any tablet/smartphone and to me they look very well done in 2.0.

Nice work RIM!
    01-10-12 04:32 PM
    THIS is totally awesome news! Now, I'm gonna buy a 64gb PlayBook for $299 and either sell or possibly just keep my 16gb PlayBook that I got for $99 as a backup or mule.
    01-10-12 04:34 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD