I can't believe it! Desktop Manager has always been a piece of crap (I have been having issues with it for 6 years) but I just loaded the latest and "greatest" and it even worse. It connects to the PB but insists that it cannot find anything on it. Then, suddenly, it finds stuff, and, just as mysteriously, loses it again. I go to files and they are there. Next time I go there, nothing.

Tried, as always, with a new version, to do a full backup, and, as always, it failed. Then I began trying a custom backup. Most of the time, it will not give me the selection criteria to check off. Occasionally, it will. Cancelling a backup makes the app completely lock up (Windows 8).

From what I can determine, it also seems to connect and reconnect to my PB. I see the connection screen, on the PB, keep flashing on and off.

After about twenty tries, closing and reopening the app, I managed to backup my settings. Now, again, it will not show me anything to select.

This is progress. Sorry BB but reliable backup software is a must. Hope the BB10 version is better, but, as I will never go to another BB product, and BB10 will never come to the PB, I will never know.

Follow up:

Wow! The selection criteria finally popped up! I am thinking that this version is just reeeeaaaallllyyyy slow.
    Last edited by gwinegarden; 07-27-13 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Follow up
    FF22 and madman0141 like this.
    07-27-13 12:00 PM
    Use the actual blackberry USB cable and a USB port that can provide proper power..
    07-27-13 12:31 PM
    DM Version 101.000000000000009999 might finally get it right but not likely!

The new LINK software works or not as well with the pb. Same kind of behavior. No device found just after it found it. No ability to select backup and 10 minutes later - oh, you can move forward now.

AWFUL.

The Desktop software did generally work for the bb phones and it would sync my calendar, contacts, memos.
    madman0141 likes this.
    07-27-13 12:36 PM
    Yeah sadly being able to backup my PlayBook data using DM was never something I could count on. After the last PB OS update I was finally able to do a selective backup (after months of being unable to do one at all which is a total FAIL) by checking off app data & settings, & then bypassing DM & moving my media over using Windows drag & drop. It's been things like this that other devices seem to be able to handle with no problem (like not being able to rearrange browser bookmarks for example) that made PlayBook a frustrating tablet to own. I'll still use mine every day like I have for almost 2 years until it gives up on me, but I will always struggle to understand the huge missteps by Blackberry in delivering what could have been a tablet far above all the rest.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-27-13 06:05 PM
    I have learned that on my W7 machine, I have to disable sleep. It would go to sleep in the middle of a long USB data transfer and corrupt everything.
    07-27-13 11:17 PM
    BB Link is equally dreadful if you want to transfer large files. I'm trying to copy 7GB of movies over USB and it will take me... 2 hours! Filling up a 32GB tablet would take a day, I presume. It takes less than 5 minutes to copy over 1GB to an Android phone.

Why couldn't BBRY just implement straightforward USB MTP or MSC instead of this SMB-over-USB nonsense?
    07-28-13 02:02 AM
    And to think there are people on CrackBerry that believe RIMBERRY is doing a good job. LMFAO.
    07-28-13 04:33 PM