From reading the forums, it's clear that even with OS 2.x, the Playbook is perfect for some people. Personally, I already moved to the iPad mini full-time, but I see my PB on the desk and know it still has potential.
    I'm curious what other users think BB can realistically do to make the PB better, or what bugs they'd like to see addressed. I'm not talking "bring netflix/hulu" type of comments, but rather, real things BB can do internally.

Here's my list:
    1.Bug: I'm still getting red-X when sending email through Exchange account
    2.Make the youtube, facebook and podcasts apps more functional
    3.Release a native twitter app, like the one on BB OS
    4.Enable bookmark management for native browser
    5.Enable sorting in the Pictures app and allow sending/emailing pictures from within the app
    6.Improve native Adobe Reader app, allow annotations and improve performance

I'm thinking BlackBerry is abandoning PB for good, but you never know, right?
    07-14-13 05:23 PM
    From reading the forums, it's clear that even with OS 2.x, the Playbook is perfect for some people. Personally, I already moved to the iPad mini full-time, but I see my PB on the desk and know it still has potential.
    I'm curious what other users think BB can realistically do to make the PB better, or what bugs they'd like to see addressed. I'm not talking "bring netflix/hulu" type of comments, but rather, real things BB can do internally.

Here's my list:
    1.Bug: I'm still getting red-X when sending email through Exchange account
    2.Make the youtube, facebook and podcasts apps more functional
    3.Release a native twitter app, like the one on BB OS
    4.Enable bookmark management for native browser
    5.Enable sorting in the Pictures app and allow sending/emailing pictures from within the app
    6.Improve native Adobe Reader app, allow annotations and improve performance

I'm thinking BlackBerry is abandoning PB for good, but you never know, right?
    good luck and happy dreaming!
    thanks!
    -paul
    rickster21 likes this.
    07-14-13 05:25 PM
    good luck and happy dreaming!
    thanks!
    -paul
    dreams can come true, right? right?
    07-14-13 05:27 PM
    dreams can come true, right? right?
    and also "Fortune favors the brave"
    and a little way bit more gambling! ;-) lets see. i got the die in my hand i will throw this sunday and i will know.
    i am not hoping nor dreaming and neither expecting anything from RIM/Blackberry. so i decided to do it myself.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ogress-793657/
    page 31 got the hottest information. we got everything, i mean all info except the final confirmation if the eeprom or prom or otp is soft efuse or hard efuse.
    if soft efuse, which is what we are guessing. then paradise. else? little lesser paradise. :-D
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-14-13 05:51 PM
    I would be pleasantly surprised but don't expect it to happen.

I'm sure that they tried but the experience would not be satisfactory.

It is the second hardest decision that Thor has had to make.
    07-14-13 06:27 PM
    Why would they invest money/time/effort into a product they have essentially abandoned? There is no profit in it for them. My Playbook is just an internet radio at this point. I will continue to use it as such until it cannot perform this function. It will be a cold day in he|| before Blackberry gets another dime from me. Even if Blackberry remains a viable company I do not wish to do business with them. Not just for failing to bring BB10 to the Playbook, but for all the missed deadlines and broken promises.
    07-15-13 05:52 AM
    Why would they invest money/time/effort into a product they have essentially abandoned? There is no profit in it for them. My Playbook is just an internet radio at this point. I will continue to use it as such until it cannot perform this function. It will be a cold day in he|| before Blackberry gets another dime from me. Even if Blackberry remains a viable company I do not wish to do business with them. Not just for failing to bring BB10 to the Playbook, but for all the missed deadlines and broken promises.
    they cant. and have shown their incompetence. but the community can. ;-)
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-15-13 05:56 AM
    How did the lack of BB10 turn your Playbook into a radio only?
    Both of mine are still fully functional and useful tablets. I can browse the Internet, send and receive emails, listen to music, watch videos and play games.

Don't get me wrong, I am not impressed with BlackBerry and their lies but let's not pretend that the lack on an OS update has rendered the tablet useless.
    07-15-13 07:11 AM
    OP you show to much respect to RIMBERRY they are not going to do anymore for us because THOR's greedy non customer respecting self no longer cares about us. I like you would hope they would do SOMETHING for us. At least when my PlayBook dies and can still get onto CrackBerry via my Ipad mini.
    07-15-13 07:28 AM
    That is a good list, but not for the future. Thats a good list for what should have been the original completed product. They didn't see fit to finish what they started and I for one am no longer betting on their future, when past performance says they have no plans for completion.
    rickster21 and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    07-15-13 11:31 AM
    Thats a good list for what should have been the original completed product.
    I could not agree more. But I think my list is realistic, I'm not nagging for BB10 or OS 3.x.
    Is it really that much of an expense for BB to just address a few things?
    07-16-13 09:57 AM
    BlackBerry PlayBook Getting No More Significant Updates, Confirms Alec Saunders - N4BB

Ever since BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins revealed the company would not uphold their promise to bring BlackBerry 10 to the PlayBook, many have wondered what will come of the tablet.

Developers had been waiting to bring their BlackBerry 10 apps to the tablet. However, with no BlackBerry 10 scheduled for release, those hopefuls cried for at least the core updates (Cascades, Browser, Android runtime, etc.).

Unfortunately, BlackBerry VP of Developer Relations, Alec Saunders, confirmed via Twitter that the BlackBerry PlayBook will not receive any significant updates.

Saunders defended the decision in response to one developer saying, �you�d be unhappy. PlayBook doesn�t have the capability to run BB10 acceptably.�

Despite the pleas from many unhappy customers, the decision to cancel BlackBerry 10 for the PlayBook seems set in stone. The only updates you may likely see for the PlayBook are small bug and/or security fixes. Otherwise, consider the PlayBook dead.
    07-16-13 10:14 AM
    Having been in "the business" for many years I can say that there is virtually zero chance that they will put resources on OS2.

The only chance we had for future software updates was if we got BB10.
    FF22 and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    07-16-13 10:46 AM
    they cant. and have shown their incompetence. but the community can. ;-)
    thanks!
    -paul
    Paul,
    It is quite clear that BlackBerry isn't going to honor their word on bringing the BB10 OS to the PlayBook as they had stated numerous times in that time span in which BlackBerry /RIM and Retailers had thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands of PlayBooks (DEAD inventory) they were trying to sell off.

It is also clear BB isn't going to update anything at all.

You sir are PlayBook owners only hope in cracking the PlayBook.

Fast forward 100 or 1,000yrs from now, Your name will be listed in history books as "the guy" who became a HERO with PlayBook owners worldwide...

Advice for those considering tech purchases:

1: When a company brings a item to market they are in a race to get it to market as FAST as possible. Sales=Money, taking your time and "perfecting" a device before it goes retail allows your competitors to garner "Market Share'... this meaning unless you get your item to market "Quick" /before the other guy (Competitor) your competitors device becomes the dominant device.

Because such items are release with "buggy" software /firmware or lacking key features.

2: There is a REASON why devices which had a retail price of $699 are going for $120 to $150. Most of the time (and it proved to be the case with the PlayBook) the device doesn't perform well, or address the NEEDS for the MAJORITY of customers.

Returns go up, sales go down. To combat this the manufacturer releases a firmware /OS update that hopefully fixes or minimizes the issues.

In those situations $150 for a $699 device would be considered a good purchase. That's what i was expecting on purchasing from a company who touted the PlayBook as a "PROFESSIONAL GRADE DEVICE" and touts itself as catering to the "PROFESSIONAL MARKET".

(I might as well bought a Android tablet direct from China from a No-Name Company. These guys at RIM/BlackBerry have no clue to as what customers are wanting from a tablet.)

When buying a device, don't buy a device in which you are TOTALLY dependent on (1) source (The manufacturer) for OS patches and the like. Look for devices in which they can be "modded", or are being "modded" by NUMEROUS persons around the world instead of buying into a device in which only (1) or 2 persons have the knowledge to do so.

Make sure to don't buy a device in which the manufacturer has added encryption into a firmware update that PURPOSELY blocks the ability to "root", or "jailbreak" the device as BlackBerry has done without checking more in depth to ascertain how many people are actively working on breaking that encryption /modding the device.

If you don't you will be TOTALLY dependent on the manufacturer to update the device.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 07-16-13 at 05:04 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-16-13 04:17 PM
    WeAreNotAlone:

It is true. Closed systems leave you no alternatives. Even bb phones could be "hybridized" with OS and internal apps.
    07-16-13 04:56 PM
    Paul,
    It is quite clear that BlackBerry isn't going to honor their word on bringing the BB10 OS to the PlayBook as they had stated numerous times in that time span in which BlackBerry /RIM and Retailers had thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands of PlayBooks (DEAD inventory) they were trying to sell off.

It is also clear BB isn't going to update anything at all.

You sir are PlayBook owners only hope in cracking the PlayBook.

Fast forward 100 or 1,000yrs from now, Your name will be listed in history books as "the guy" who became a HERO with PlayBook owners worldwide...

Advice for those considering tech purchases:

1: When a company brings a item to market they are in a race to get it to market as FAST as possible. Sales=Money, taking your time and "perfecting" a device before it goes retail allows your competitors to garner "Market Share'... this meaning unless you get your item to market "Quick" /before the other guy (Competitor) your competitors device becomes the dominant device.

Because such items are release with "buggy" software /firmware or lacking key features.

2: There is a REASON why devices which had a retail price of $699 are going for $120 to $150. Most of the time (and it proved to be the case with the PlayBook) the device doesn't perform well, or address the NEEDS for the MAJORITY of customers.

Returns go up, sales go down. To combat this the manufacturer releases a firmware /OS update that hopefully fixes or minimizes the issues.

In those situations $150 for a $699 device would be considered a good purchase. That's what i was expecting on purchasing from a company who touted the PlayBook as a "PROFESSIONAL GRADE DEVICE" and touts itself as catering to the "PROFESSIONAL MARKET".

(I might as well bought a Android tablet direct from China from a No-Name Company. These guys at RIM/BlackBerry has no clue to as what customers are wanting from a tablet.)

When buying a device, don't buy a device in which you are TOTALLY dependent on (1) source (The manufacturer) for OS patches and the like. Look for devices in which they can be "modded", or are being "modded" by NUMEROUS persons around the world instead of buying into a device in which only (1) or 2 persons have the knowledge to do so.

Make sure to don't buy a device in which the manufacturer has added encryption into a firmware update that PURPOSELY blocks the ability to "root", or "jailbreak" the device as BlackBerry has done without checking more in depth to ascertain how many people are actively working on breaking that encryption /modding the device.

If you don't you will be TOTALLY dependent on the manufacturer to update the device.

brother i am working extremely hard. i have to install linux in 3000 machines by the end of this month. please grant me some freedom till the end of the month, it helps me earn food for my family.
    then i will fasten the seat belt and we will go super ultra super sonic!
    just the end of this month. because i have sh!t loads of machines to install linux. i hope you understand the pace and gravity.
    i am trying real hard.
    thanks!
    -paul
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    07-16-13 05:06 PM
    WeAreNotAlone:

It is true. Closed systems leave you no alternatives. Even bb phones could be "hybridized" with OS and internal apps.
    we are trying to open and break free. clearly its obvious F2 RIM/crackberry has been reading my post in rooting forum, especially the extreme recent ones. and they understood that we are a few inches from cracking it. and then the 2nd massive work. building a new bootloader and designing another OS to work on this device.
    THIS IS NOT EASY!
    wish me luck!
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-16-13 05:08 PM
    brother i am working extremely hard. i have to install linux in 3000 machines by the end of this month. please grant me some freedom till the end of the month, it helps me earn food for my family.
    then i will fasten the seat belt and we will go super ultra super sonic!
    just the end of this month. because i have sh!t loads of machines to install linux. i hope you understand the pace and gravity.
    i am trying real hard.
    thanks!
    -paul
    Waiting is no problem.... Having a BlackBerry branded device you get used to waiting... BlackBerry inc has a history of being slow to push out updates and leave people hanging for months upon months upon months.

07-16-13 06:44 PM
    How did the lack of BB10 turn your Playbook into a radio only?
    Both of mine are still fully functional and useful tablets. I can browse the Internet, send and receive emails, listen to music, watch videos and play games.

Don't get me wrong, I am not impressed with BlackBerry and their lies but let's not pretend that the lack on an OS update has rendered the tablet useless.
    That is all it is for me. I really don't consider the Playbook a fully fuctioning tablet when you compare it to the competition. It will not do everything I want it to do so I had to find another ecosystem. I can still get some use out of the Playbook so I have kept it. Others might find the limited amount of software available to the Playbook enough for their use and that is great for them.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    07-16-13 07:56 PM
    Waiting is no problem.... Having a BlackBerry branded device you get used to waiting... BlackBerry inc has a history of being slow to push out updates and leave people hanging for months upon months upon months.

whatever it is. life must go on. lets see what future holds for us. good luck ladies and gentlemen with your playbook. i am not angry with RIM/Blackberry for cheating on me. all i can now say is?
    OK, so BB10 for PB is not happening, so can BB make OS 2.x better?-bitch-fuck-fuck-you-fuck-you-up-karma.jpg
    the picture says it all. most here are not skilled. and i am also not skilled. but i am trying. :-)
    and they say "fortune favors the brave" lets see where it takes us.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-17-13 01:27 PM