No BB10 on PlayBook : Crap
    Initial Reaction : O no they didn't!
    After a day or two of processing I had an idea, what if we get a full featured 8 inch BB10 device but whatever our play books are updated with more bridge functions, bringing our phone os to the 7 inch screen, before my Z10, I had a Torch 9810, and I loved Bridge, grab the tablet, leave the phone on my hip in its holster. What if they do this with the PlayBook and design it to be a screen extension for the BB10 phones? And then we also get a new 8 or 9 inch tablet?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 10:04 AM
    After a day or two of processing I had an idea, what if we get a full featured 8 inch BB10 device but whatever our play books are updated with more bridge functions, bringing our phone os to the 7 inch screen, before my Z10, I had a Torch 9810, and I loved Bridge, grab the tablet, leave the phone on my hip in its holster. What if they do this with the PlayBook and design it to be a screen extension for the BB10 phones? And then we also get a new 8 or 9 inch tablet?

Posted via CB10
    Thor never lies about bad news, his good news, however, is highly suspect.
    06-30-13 10:11 AM
    This is a great idea. Shouldn't be hard to program. This would make Playbook owners very happy!!!

And AT&T couldn't complain about this connection.

I nominate this idea for best Playbook idea of the last 2 years.

BLACKBERRY - are you listening?
    06-30-13 10:14 AM
    Thanks man

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 10:19 AM
    I thought Thor said they won't and can't compete in the tablet market and that tablets will be dead in 5 years. Why would they make another tablet?

I do like the pb become whatever his idea is of the future and dumb screens. I don't know that they can make that happen though.
    06-30-13 10:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Awesome idea to make the Playbook an extension of the screen for BlackBerry 10 phones. I personally don't see it happening though.

Mr Heins for whatever reason, does not believe there is a future in Tablets. He could very well be right that 5 years from now there will be no market for them as there is today. The thing is, without a Tablet in the market today when they are an extremely relevant segment, will there be a BlackBerry as we know it 5 years from now?

I certainly don't expect to see a new Tablet of any kind this year and I suspect that the Playbook is no in maintenance mode meaning that we might see a couple bug fix updates but I wouldn't hold my breath for new Bridge functionality. Playbook is dead.

Thorsten Heins' claims about wanting market share seem suspect at this point as well. It would seem that his long term agenda is simply to make BlackBerry a service company and get out of the hardware business altogether. All the justifying poor sales by talking about how BlackBerry is more then a hardware company seems like he's preparing the market for a transition away from hardware altogether. Just my gut feeling, and I don't own a crystal ball so I could be wrong.
    06-30-13 10:28 AM
    I thought Thor said they won't and can't compete in the tablet market and that tablets will be dead in 5 years. Why would they make another tablet?

I do like the pb become whatever his idea is of the future and dumb screens. I don't know that they can make that happen though.
    Maybe phablet?

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10
    06-30-13 10:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    This would tie in with a past thread I read about in the general blackberry forum. Low cost tablet, screen extension. "Work screen".

I think TH defines a tablet as a stand alone device, BlackBerry may have another plan that would coincide with the bridge feature and their so called mobile computing. Specced up tablets may not be in the works for BlackBerry but a separate souped up bridge feature for BB10 phones may be?

I remember when TH mentioned that all you will be needing is the device itself, peripherals may be released to complement it, not as a stand alone tablet but as a screen extension. I don't know, let's see..

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 10:39 AM
    Maybe phablet?

Isn't that the Aristo? I guess they work for some, for me they are too big for a phone and too small for a tablet. I use reading glasses when using my pb.
    06-30-13 10:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 10:50 AM
    Maybe phablet?

Trust me, noone us going to gamble on that! Not after this whole PB debacle!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 10:51 AM
    If they would make the Bridge on the Z10 backwards compatible to the PB, restoring all the BBM, SMS and Open On, like on the OS7.1, I would be able to enjoy my PB as I did with my 9810.
    I enjoy using my PB and still take it to work with me everyday. I am still hoping that BBRY will do some upgrades to the PB (2.xxx, or 3.xxx) to allow us to enjoy it for a few more years.
    krox1105 and FF22 like this.
    06-30-13 11:08 AM
    The only future for the playbook is open source and I seriously doubt that will ever happen. I'm throwing my pb in a drawer, in a few years it will be one of those interesting oddities that kids will ask about like 5 1/4 inch floppies.
    victorshikhman likes this.
    06-30-13 11:12 AM
    The only future for the playbook is open source and I seriously doubt that will ever happen. I'm throwing my pb in a drawer, in a few years it will be one of those interesting oddities that kids will ask about like 5 1/4 inch floppies.
    well said!
    thanks!
    -paul
    06-30-13 11:16 AM
    The kids won't ask. The 5 1/4 floppy disks were used by many people back then, that's why they might be well known.
    The playbook on the other hand is hardly known even now. Yes, it's an oddity.that's why it will be forgotten soon.

Someone even replied "a what? An IBook?" when I told him about my playbook.
    06-30-13 11:22 AM
    The onluy reason that the playbook failed so much is the advertising was horrendus. When it was released I do not remember seeing a single advert for it. If I didn't read crackberry on a daily basis I can't say that I would have even known about the device.

This is the same problem blackberry is having with bb10 rite now. They do have tv advert on but they don't stand out. They just seem generic.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-30-13 11:52 AM
    The onluy reason that the playbook failed so much is the advertising was horrendus. When it was released I do not remember seeing a single advert for it. If I didn't read crackberry on a daily basis I can't say that I would have even known about the device.

This is the same problem blackberry is having with bb10 rite now. They do have tv advert on but they don't stand out. They just seem generic.
    No. The reason the pb failed is because RIM at that time had a failed vision of it. No native PIM, no apps worth a crap, no this and no that. They released it unfinished and incomplete. It didn't need PIM because everyone owned a BB and could bridge their PIM for security purposes. Then they back track and claim native PIM in 60 days, nope that didn't happen for what, months or a year later? That is why the playbook was a failed product.
    06-30-13 11:58 AM
    Any chance we run android on PB? Maybe BBRY could allow a jellybean attempt and the hardware could be useful
    06-30-13 12:10 PM
    After a day or two of processing I had an idea, what if we get a full featured 8 inch BB10 device
    bzzzzzt.

That's the problem. Full fetured.. full featured.... Blackberry has proven it just will NOT release a full featured device. IT promises you X, releases X - Y, says "Y is coming soon" and then drops the device.

Meanwhile the compeition IS releasing X, Y and Z... at the same price or cheaper. I just saw that the kindle fire HD (an offspring of an eREADER) has the same size, greater screen resolution, faster processor AND has all the apps people are wanting and it is selling for less than the playbook.

Point being, yes, IF blackberry did that they would save themsleves but that is old news, as that is exactly what we have been screaming at them for YEARS now and they just will not do it. I konw that the snadard fanboy excuse is "new platform! takes time!" yet somehow an online outfit selling merchandise spit out a device shortly after the playbook came out then already released an updated sequel that PASSES the playbook in specs and in terms of app support.

Um, no, has nothing to do with android because the playbook prided itself on claiming android support but for some reason they didn't completely pull it off. Sad fact is, they had already fallen into a death spiral of declining customer base because of declining app support and increasing resistence from app makers to support it resulting in even fewer apps, and then the loop repeats. The playbook on launch was suppose to prove blackberry was back in the game, the devince was 50% completed at best and even with the 2.0 release saying "see? we are SERIOUS!" the devince still didn't even have bbm (!?!?!) and most of the remaining promises were never fulfilled.

Now customers and investors alike are seeing a compny more interested in getting thier bbm feature ON OTHER DEVICES than getting it on it's OWN devices. THAT is the epitome of both foolishness and arrogance. Now blackberry and unfortunately its shareholders (I am one) are suffering the consequences of one bad decision after another.

There will BE no fourth or fifth chances, mark my word, the game is over.
    victorshikhman likes this.
    06-30-13 12:29 PM
    If it's a good idea then you can basically guarantee that Blackberry will do everything in it's power to NOT make it happen.
    06-30-13 12:55 PM
    If it's a good idea then you can basically guarantee that Blackberry will do everything in it's power to NOT make it happen.
    Ain't that the truth
    06-30-13 02:59 PM
    Unlocking the bootloader and setting us free, that's what we need. Please sign the change.org petition, tweet to BlackBerry and let's hope that when they announce the end of support we can choose Android, Ubuntu, Mozilla Firefox OS or any other open source tablet OS.
    06-30-13 03:04 PM