BlackBerry CEO on BB10 for PlayBook: "It was one of the toughest decisions I had to make" | CrackBerry.com

I've always said ya need a minimum of 1G RAM per core to run a GUI OS. Enough said about that.

Nothing has changed how I use my PlayBook. I got used to its querks and personality.

It's time to move on and remember that it wasn't the PlayBook or a CEO that brought us to BlackBerry, it's the phones.
    07-12-13 01:44 AM
    You know, if your neighbor died, you can get over it in just a matter of time... but if one of your love ones, close to your heart died, it is really hard to accept it as it is...you really need to "let time to heal the wound"...

But I do agree, that somehow, we have to let it go...

Posted via Z10
    07-12-13 02:19 AM
    I'm also over it. I always wondered exactly what BB10 was going to magically do for the Playbook. Now I guess I'll never know. I just hope they would keep us in the loop as far as updates go but I doubt it.
    07-12-13 09:18 AM
    And these are the sort of customers BlackBerry is hoping for.

Low standards and expectations.
    Short memory.
    Deep pockets.

Sigh....

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    07-12-13 10:11 AM
    I'm about done talking about it. I'm using my PlayBook right now and although there are features that I want that will likely never come, I've got to the point of acceptance and ready to just use my PlayBook for what it is, and not what we thought it would be. I still use it daily, and if there is something that it won't do then I grab another device.

And that seems to be where many people had been not long ago when the PlayBook launched or before. They have a BlackBerry and the second smartphone. I have my PlayBook, and the other tablet. Ironic isn't it?
    eldricho and sad_old_man like this.
    07-12-13 10:35 AM
    [url=http://crackberry.com/BlackBerry-CEO-on-BB10-for-PlayBook-toughest-decisions-I-had-to-make]It's time to move on and remember that it wasn't the PlayBook or a CEO that brought us to BlackBerry, it's the phones.
    That's an awfully big assumption.

In fact, the Playbook was my first foray into the Blackberry universe. It was my litmus test for whether I would make the jump to the Z10, Q10, or Q5.

In fact, PlayBook is the only reason I decided to try out BlackBerry.

Now, I have zero confidence in their support for their products, zero trust in their credibility, and will not be furthering my investments in BlackBerry products.
    Last edited by playbook_swiper1; 07-12-13 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Horrible Spelling mistakes...my lord!
    FF22, dmlis, Vanderchoac and 11 others like this.
    07-12-13 10:36 AM
    That's an awfully big assumption.

In fact, the Playbook was my first foray into the Blackberry universe. It was my litmus test for whether I would make the jump to the Z10, Q10, or Q5.

In fact, PlayBook is the only reason I decided to try out BlackBerry.

Now, I have zero confidence in their support for their products, zero trust in their credibility, and will not be furthering my investments in BlackBerry products.
    Ya know just about every car manufacturer has had recalls some have been immature admitting their mistakes some take it in stride but non have gone out of business over the loss of customers over it.

If one lemon out of millions taints what you think your experience is, oh well. As I said originally, BlackBerry's reputation is millions of phones more than the PlayBook.

Its OK, that you feel that way, but the PlayBook will never define the BlackBerry experience.

Posted from my PlayBook.

The BlackBerry experience has always been due to high standards and thankfully not requiring deep pockets.

BTW there still isn't a tablet that offers true multitasking.
    Last edited by Zildjian71; 07-12-13 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    RGLozon and Korak58 like this.
    07-12-13 11:22 PM
    I'm about done talking about it. I'm using my PlayBook right now and although there are features that I want that will likely never come, I've got to the point of acceptance and ready to just use my PlayBook for what it is, and not what we thought it would be. I still use it daily, and if there is something that it won't do then I grab another device.

And that seems to be where many people had been not long ago when the PlayBook launched or before. They have a BlackBerry and the second smartphone. I have my PlayBook, and the other tablet. Ironic isn't it?
    I like almost everything you said. But I am not happy with what I have in hand. An A-Class device with a sh!tty OS! So I am punching in the bootrom out.

I care no damn and neither I give a sent or two whether blackberry survives or not. I Love my device and they are A-Grade, and I cant see my money getting wasted over some sh!tty OS.

With this advancement blah, that advancement bleh, kingalingadingdongdingading OS.
    Okay blackberry thank you very much.

I dont know about you! But I will soon punch the bootrom out, put my bootrom “INSIDE” and my bootloader and my OS.

And like you I will use it as long as there are no major hardware issues or completely unfixable or broken beyond a fix.

Enough BS!

thanks!
    -paul
    07-12-13 11:34 PM

Short memory.
    Deep pockets.

Sigh....

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    BINGO

It's time to move on and remember that it wasn't the PlayBook or a CEO that brought us to BlackBerry, it's the phones.
    With me, it was advertisements for the Storm 1 that brought me to blackberry.

Imagine how sore my behind is right now. Not even any vasaline.
    07-13-13 05:56 AM
    The sheer bloody irony is that the PB's specs were pretty impressive on release and still pretty impressive now for such a cheap device, but all that is hobbled by crap software.

My 2-year-old Android tablet with a 1 GHz dual-core Tegra2 SoC was slow and clunky with Honeycomb, got much better with ICS and now it's rocking thanks to Jelly Bean. My also-2-year-old PlayBook with 1 GHz dual-core OMAP4430, a faster and more capable SoC than Tegra2, is stuck with a crap OS that was supposed to be the best thing in mobile computing since sliced bread

The PB is a literal dead end: I can only run the limited apps currently available in the extremely limited app store. With the Android tablet, I can keep upgrading the OS and apps as long as there's someone who cooks up a custom ROM. The PlayBook is relegated to an appliance... the Android tablet is a true mobile computer
    07-13-13 06:13 AM
    The sheer bloody irony is that the PB's specs were pretty impressive on release and still pretty impressive now for such a cheap device, but all that is hobbled by crap software.

My 2-year-old Android tablet with a 1 GHz dual-core Tegra2 SoC was slow and clunky with Honeycomb, got much better with ICS and now it's rocking thanks to Jelly Bean. My also-2-year-old PlayBook with 1 GHz dual-core OMAP4430, a faster and more capable SoC than Tegra2, is stuck with a crap OS that was supposed to be the best thing in mobile computing since sliced bread

The PB is a literal dead end: I can only run the limited apps currently available in the extremely limited app store. With the Android tablet, I can keep upgrading the OS and apps as long as there's someone who cooks up a custom ROM. The PlayBook is relegated to an appliance... the Android tablet is a true mobile computer
    you need a gun? :-D hehehehehehehehehe
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-13-13 06:15 AM
    True, but what is the real benefit of multitasking on a tablet? My PB runs streaming internet radio or MP3 in the background while I... erm check the weather forecast! So does my Android tablet but that's a given and not part of true multitasking. I don't use my PB for anything else any more. And history is littered with the carcasses of excellent technical ideas that just were not commercially viable or in the end superseded - who remembers VAX/VMS, never mind Betamax and video discs!
    07-13-13 06:22 AM

Short memory.
    Deep pockets.

Sigh....
    Using a BlackBerry Z10
    The world has moved on.
    BlackBerry is hoping for customers that are becoming extinct
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-13-13 06:31 AM
    I am now over it too got a new surface tablet yesterday and if I am happy with it will be junking the z10 in time for the new nokia. PB as it is would have been functional to a point for my needs. But I hate being lied too and I feel that TH's reply was only due to backlash. I don't think anything is coming for pb.
    07-13-13 06:53 AM
    The world has moved on.
    Well google news had a post today that AT&T and Best buy are dropping the Z10 to $49.00 due to poor sales. The Wall Street Journal carried the article.

For the PB folk.........they have been here before.
    KOOLWATER and Robert Roger like this.
    07-13-13 08:10 AM
    you need a gun? :-D hehehehehehehehehe
    thanks!
    -paul
    Did u say gun?

Sent from my bullet proof revolver� //"="" ````�
    07-13-13 09:05 AM
    The world has moved on.
    You underestimate how extremely gullible customers are (and always will be).
    ("look at us now..." )
    07-13-13 09:13 AM
    You underestimate how extremely gullible customers are (and always will be).
    ("look at us now..." )
    no not gullible. i purchased with an intention to run linux on it. but i didnt have time nor the urgency like gsoc;. else same work would have been done 2 years back. i was casual and okay let it go as long as it can run. but i lost my temp in the month of june.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-13-13 09:43 AM
    Did u say gun?

Sent from my bullet proof revolver™ //"="" ````�
    this is not duck hunting season. ;-) put the gun in your holster.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-13-13 09:43 AM
    You should all face it BlackBerry doesn't have the skilled resources to make BB10 work.
    It could have... or at least this is the tout of QNX, lean and mean.
    Apparently not so mean and obviously not so lean.
    However BB could have update 2.1 with some of the upgrades the BB10 got.
    This would have smooth over the anger and pain.
    Instead they chose to dump it just like they will all future products.
    That's why Apple is the true leader and will stay that way.
    They still update their older devices that have less horse power than the PB.
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-13-13 09:54 AM
    Well google news had a post today that AT&T and Best buy are dropping the Z10 to $49.00 due to poor sales. The Wall Street Journal carried the article.

For the PB folk.........they have been here before.
    It is not due to poor sales:

"A BlackBerry spokesman said in a statement that �now is the right time to adjust the price� of the Z10 as the company introduces newer models.

�It�s part of life cycle management to tier the pricing for current devices to make room for the next ones,� he wrote in an email. �This is just one element of our marketing strategy that will ensure we remain aggressive in a very competitive market landscape.�"

Yup, a few months old device is steeply discounted already. Uh, huh! Right-i-o.

I guess I will check Craigslist for even better prices!

Oh, important note: The article corrects that $49 to $99.

BlackBerry Z10 Prices Drop to $49 Amid Weak Sales - Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-13-13 09:57 AM
    It is not due to poor sales:

"A BlackBerry spokesman said in a statement that “now is the right time to adjust the price” of the Z10 as the company introduces newer models.

“It’s part of life cycle management to tier the pricing for current devices to make room for the next ones,” he wrote in an email. “This is just one element of our marketing strategy that will ensure we remain aggressive in a very competitive market landscape.”"

Yup, a few months old device is steeply discounted already. Uh, huh! Right-i-o.

I guess I will check Craigslist for even better prices!

Oh, important note: The article corrects that $49 to $99.

BlackBerry Z10 Prices Drop to $49 Amid Weak Sales - Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com
    AMBASSADOR with much respect you had me until the part "A BlackBerry spokesman said " then I knew it was a lie.
    07-13-13 10:06 AM
    I've always said ya need a minimum of 1G RAM per core to run a GUI OS. Enough said about that.

Shame the amazing QNX coders didn't figure.And if they did they should have mentioned it to the CEO.

Saving him the toughest decision "ahem" of his life.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-13-13 01:03 PM
    Ya know just about every car manufacturer has had recalls some have been immature admitting their mistakes some take it in stride but non have gone out of business over the loss of customers over it.

If one lemon out of millions taints what you think your experience is, oh well. As I said originally, BlackBerry's reputation is millions of phones more than the PlayBook.

Its OK, that you feel that way, but the PlayBook will never define the BlackBerry experience.

Posted from my PlayBook.

The BlackBerry experience has always been due to high standards and thankfully not requiring deep pockets.

HUH
    07-13-13 01:09 PM
    samsung split screen is true multitasking
    windows 8 and RT offer true multitasking

What multitasking does Deadbook offer?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-13-13 02:00 PM
44 12