I have yet not experienced the playbook just read bout it! I have hands on experience with an IPAD2. Its big for me. Period. Playbook seems to be of nice size and the option to bridge with my Blackberry 9900 makes it easier for me to connect to the net and just have one 3G connection unlike Ipad. I seriously wonder from 300000+ apps how many would be of use to me on the Ipad whereas my major usage is Browsing, Watchin a Movie, Social networking, Checking and replying mails! For other things I have my laptop which handles everything else!!

Now I read RIM Saying they have no plans to abandon the PB and it would continue. My question is should I go ahead and but it now that almost $200 have been taken off its price or wait? Do you guys believe of any physical hardware upgrades coming out as well with such a cut to get rid of inventory or is it going the HP tablet way? I dont want to buy a product which is going to be later abandoned and does not have a support system!

I also dont need an ecosystem like Kindle Fire which basically is going to gulp on Bandwidth to access movies and other content from Amazon. I stay where I have download caps and bulk of my usage is going to offline for transfering movies/shows from my laptop and browsing/mails on need basis while traveling!

So guys help me out to take decision to buy or not or wait......Surely appreciate your views!
    09-30-11 06:19 AM
    Go for it now at $299 it is a great deal.
    mufc1 likes this.
    09-30-11 06:28 AM
    I'd say wait till DevCon is over and see what's going on. Or at least give it a few more months before you get one.
    09-30-11 06:45 AM
    I'd say go for it, your needs will be met without 2.0, and in a few months you'll be even more happy!

Welcome...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 06:54 AM
    I would say go for it and now! Probably after devcon prices will rise again, likely if a new model be launched ( 3G and or sd card support ).
    09-30-11 07:03 AM
    For what you use it for go for it......NOW!!
    09-30-11 07:16 AM
    To be honest, I jumped at the $249 price point even tho i think it will get lower. I was just scared that if it did get lower I wouldn't be able to find one.

If you want it, go to Staples and buy it NOW. Who knows what kind of inventory problems they might have if it drops to $199 or $149
    09-30-11 07:19 AM
    I would buy one now at the discounted price. You can evaluate it for 14 days and then return it if it does not meet your needs.

Our local retailers do not plan to restock the PB once their inventories have been sold through. They said they are waiting for end of October to make any decisions on continuing to sell the device.

For what its worth they also said that they are doing the same for all their tablets except for the iPad and Kindles. They have too many returns and their display models are not surviving.
    09-30-11 08:22 AM
    Go for it now. Sounds like it would be a nice extension to your laptop. And it does everything you are expecting of it, for only $299.00! Get it today so you have something to play with over the weekend
    09-30-11 08:28 AM
    i just got one and the verdict is still out. the htc flyer is a 7" tablet that i've had my eyes on and is rumored to go on sale at best buy next week for $300. if i decide not to keep the playbook i'm going that route.
    09-30-11 08:48 AM
    For anyone who already has a BB phone, I say buy it now, don't wait. For those who don't, wait for 2.0 and to see if it is really discontinued or not.
    09-30-11 08:55 AM
    The PB is fun to use and its a great piece of hardware. Hoping to get OS 2.0 improvements but even still I fully enjoy using it. I believe its still on sale at Staples stores for $249. At this price dont even wait anymore, I doubt they will get any lower than $249. Here is a link to another thread with the Staples links.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9-499-a-654281
    Last edited by mypb16; 09-30-11 at 09:21 AM.
    09-30-11 09:14 AM
    The current price of the PlayBook is the sweet spot. The soon soon to be $99 (fire) is $100 less and is expected to do well without a cameras/ bridge capabilities and with only 8gb of storage... With that said, I purchased the PlayBook yesterday and am currently using it to write this. Good Stuff, those that don't try it will never get it because they wont know what they are missing.
    Hockey_Fan10 likes this.
    09-30-11 09:22 AM
    if what the playbook currently offer fulfills your need, then get it now, otherwise, consider samsung tab 7 plus...it's like the old one but with dual core processor..
    PauloPImenta likes this.
    09-30-11 09:31 AM
    Is it actually $249 at Staples? I keep seeing $299 at the US Stores.
    09-30-11 09:37 AM
    Is it actually $249 at Staples? I keep seeing $299 at the US Stores.
    I had to call around my local Staples until I found one that was $249. Some stores had it at $299 for some reason, but keep looking.
    09-30-11 09:46 AM
    Hmm, alright will do though I do have one more question. At those stores, do they take $250 off the price of the other models one too? Like, would the 64 GB be $450?
    09-30-11 09:56 AM
    after reading another thread in this forum about the wsj article i believe i would wait or run like heck and never look back. it appears from the wsj article that rim is in trouble at the top and i'm not sure there heart is in the right place
    09-30-11 10:45 AM
    I'd say wait till DevCon is over and see what's going on. Or at least give it a few more months before you get one.
    Prices will go back up after Devcon.
    OS 2.0, pre-holiday.
    09-30-11 10:52 AM
    after reading another thread in this forum about the wsj article i believe i would wait or run like heck and never look back. it appears from the wsj article that rim is in trouble at the top and i'm not sure there heart is in the right place
    They're ok. Don't listen to the quoted post. Get your PlayBook and enjoy it.
    09-30-11 10:52 AM
    If you have a blackberry now, i'd flip a coin....50/50... if not, definitely dont get it yet as it is barely more than a web browser. Lots of featured missing (RIM's slogan should be "its all coming soon")... wait until OS 2.0 comes in a few months (best case, HONEST scenario, is late november or early december). Then make up your mind.

For nearly everything the playbook can do now, there is already a cheaper tanlet out there that can do it.

im not entirely sure a non bb owner AFTER os 2.0's delivery would stand to benifit even then.
    09-30-11 02:31 PM
    I think that the uncertainty over what's going on with the PB is putting even those certain they want one, personally I was all set to buy an Android tablet but having a play with the Bridge functionality in a store has all but sold me on the Playbook, that and its cracking web browser.

Sadly in the UK we've not had any price drops and while I'm perfectly willing to pay the �450 for the 32gb model I don't want to if I'm going to find large price drops very soon.

Sadly the ball is in RIMs court and they really need to astound with the OS 2.0 features to get some interest back in this from non BB users!

I'm sure I'd be very happy with a PB, but the uncertainty is putting me off a little.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-30-11 02:43 PM
    I would never buy a PB at this point. Could you imagine buying a car that had this many issues and so much overwhelming uncertainties as to whether it will even survive.

From a business perspective, taking out all the cb cheerleaders who know nothing about business, I would seriously doubt the PB will be around in 4 months. Not trolling, just an honest perspective. I do not see any way for it to survive. It has everything going against it and absolutely no advantages...none. Bookmark this page, come spring it will be an electronic paperweight.
    adamkesher likes this.
    09-30-11 02:46 PM
    O.K. I strongly believe the BB Playbook is an awesome tablet. However, what I want to tell you is that Staples has it on sale today and tomorrow for 249.00.
    09-30-11 04:07 PM
    O.K. I strongly believe the BB Playbook is an awesome tablet. However, what I want to tell you is that Staples has it on sale today and tomorrow for 249.00.
    We all knew that. But are you saying it's $249.00 with no mail in rebate??
    09-30-11 04:26 PM
110 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD