08-01-13 12:07 AM
27 12
tools
    EDIT AGAIN: Thread title fixed by mod to better reflect point of topic. I'll keep this here because it best explains what I was trying to say.

Ok, it's time for Thor to stop messing around and announce the imminent release of BB10 Bridge

Ok, it's time for Thor to announce the release date for the BB10 Bridge that works like it used to on BBOS7.

This is just an app, this isn't an OS upgrade. An app on BB10. An app on PlayBook OS 2.1. No need to even update PlayBook OS... we just need a client that can communicate securely with a "server" on the BB10 handheld.

It's not funny any more, because it's not like developing this is some kind of "R&D project". It's an app that one of their halfway decent BB10 developers could s*it out in a couple of days.

CBK, get on the phone and tell Thor to knock it off, because it's just not funny any more, and making the CrackBerry community wait for this is just insipid.

What can I compare this to... it's like waiting for Microsoft to "announce" an update to Skype. Or for Google to "announce" and update to the GMail client on Android. Or for Apple to announce that they've added a UI element to the Settings on iOS to enable all those multi-touch gestures.

The stuff is baked into the OSes already, it's just the stupid app that needs to be updated or written for BB10. So... what gives? I mean, withholding this is like not p*ssing on us if we were on fire.

I mean, he doesn't actually LOATHE us, does he?
    Last edited by lorax1284; 07-23-13 at 09:21 AM.
    FF22, gunnerfitzy, svelt and 6 others like this.
    07-22-13 10:40 PM
    It is perplexing, that the two QNX OS don't have as complete a bridge, as the archaic BBOS has available.

FF22, Toodeurep, imz and 2 others like this.
    07-22-13 11:04 PM
    Ah, raging at the storm (no pun intended).

Again, I recall (but not where), someone posted that it would not work. I don't know why FULL BRIDGE will not work but only that someone posted that.

Since Thor, if no one else, thinks that the PB is dead or he wants it dead and forgotten, there's no reason for him to cater to it by imposing any manner of bb10 app or connection to bb10 phones for the pb.

Sorely disappointed does not quite cover it. Disgusted by Rim's attitude (bbry is just rim with another name) comes closest to covering it. They destroyed an incredible device from the outset and killed its joy for countless users. Yes, I know it still works as it did but that is giving short shrift to where it should have been and could have been. Stopping OS2 development in the guise of giving us the new and improved BB10 really was an awful decision. Suckering additional buyers with that promise for nearly a year - deceitful.

But all Rim/bbry has done is messing around with the pb. And it continues to this very day.

We shall see if there's any change.
    07-22-13 11:05 PM
    Perhaps the Z10 doesn't have enough memory and he doesn't want folks to have a regrettable experience.

I understand the frustration you have expressed; without a working bridge I am staying with my 9930.
    07-22-13 11:08 PM
    Again, I recall (but not where), someone posted that it would not work. I don't know why FULL BRIDGE will not work but only that someone posted that.
    It would cost BB a lot less to just write the BB10 Bridge code than it would to convince me that it couldn't be done. Because it can.

It is perplexing, that the two QNX OS don't have as complete a bridge, as the archaic BBOS has available.
    It'll be impossible to convince anyone that BB10 is the future of "mobile computing" if BB asserts that Bridge is too hard. They should be showing it off as more than a proof of concept: it should be two devices that can even share PROCESSES... I should be able to shunt processing tasks via Bluetooth to another properly-paired QNX device: the community of BB10 device owners should be able to turn our collective devices into a "Folding at Home" super computer.

It's the frikkin' BORG. So... Bridge on BB10, hard? Nah. Give it here.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 07-23-13 at 12:53 AM.
    07-22-13 11:18 PM
    Ok, it's time for Thor to announce the release date for the BB10 Bridge that works like it used to on BBOS7.

This is just an app, this isn't an OS upgrade. An app on BB10. An app on PlayBook OS 2.1. No need to even update PlayBook OS... we just need a client that can communicate securely with a "server" on the BB10 handheld.

It's not funny any more, because it's not like developing this is some kind of "R&D project". It's an app that one of their halfway decent BB10 developers could s*it out in a couple of days.

CBK, get on the phone and tell Thor to knock it off, because it's just not funny any more, and making the CrackBerry community wait for this is just insipid.

What can I compare this to... it's like waiting for Microsoft to "announce" an update to Skype. Or for Google to "announce" and update to the GMail client on Android. Or for Apple to announce that they've added a UI element to the Settings on iOS to enable all those multi-touch gestures.

The stuff is baked into the OSes already, it's just the stupid app that needs to be updated or written for BB10. So... what gives? I mean, withholding this is like not p*ssing on us if we were on fire.

I mean, he doesn't actually LOATHE us, does he?
    Hear, Hear!! I fully agree and back you to the hilt
    07-23-13 02:06 AM
    Perhaps the Z10 doesn't have enough memory and he doesn't want folks to have a regrettable experience.

I understand the frustration you have expressed; without a working bridge I am staying with my 9930.
    That's **** funny!!! I think I just sharded my pants with laughter!!!
    07-23-13 02:09 AM
    P.S. Mod, if you're going to change the title, change it to something that reflects the content of the first post. This sounds like the OP (ME) is suggesting that people give up on bridge and move on, then the tone is the exact opposite.

I tried to change it to something clearer myself, but it wouldn't take.... so... Mods? Intervention?
    07-23-13 08:36 AM
    P.S. Mod, if you're going to change the title, change it to something that reflects the content of the first post. This sounds like the OP (ME) is suggesting that people give up on bridge and move on, then the tone is the exact opposite.

I tried to change it to something clearer myself, but it wouldn't take.... so... Mods? Intervention?
    Better?

PS - we do have a PM system
    07-23-13 09:13 AM
    Better?

PS - we do have a PM system
    I didn't receive the PM that said "Hi; the thread title is a bit vague... how about I change it to {THIS}?" to which I would have replied "No, that doesn't quite say it, would [THIS] be OK?" then you could have said "Ok we'll change it to {THIS}" to which I would have said "Oh, I know how to do it myself. I'll do it if you want" and then you could have said "Sure, go ahead. Thanks" and I would have said "Sorry 'bout that... In retrospect, the title didn't say what I meant anyway. Cheers".

But I never got that first PM from you :-)
    07-23-13 09:24 AM
    An on par Bridge for BB10? Yes please and thank you.

I have money that is starting to burn a hole in my pocket.
    07-23-13 09:28 AM
    I didn't receive the PM that said "Hi; the thread title is a bit vague... how about I change it to {THIS}?" to which I would have replied "No, that doesn't quite say it, would [THIS] be OK?" then you could have said "Ok we'll change it to {THIS}" to which I would have said "Oh, I know how to do it myself. I'll do it if you want" and then you could have said "Sure, go ahead. Thanks" and I would have said "Sorry 'bout that... In retrospect, the title didn't say what I meant anyway. Cheers".

But I never got that first PM from you :-)
    It's time to stop messing around with this thread title.
    07-23-13 08:50 PM
    If BB would like me to upgrade to Z/Q10 i need a fully functional bridge other wise BB will get no more of my$$$
    FF22, svelt and Revampd like this.
    07-24-13 01:43 PM
    If BB would like me to upgrade to Z/Q10 i need a fully functional bridge other wise BB will get no more of my$$$
    +1. A shred of goodwill still to be retained. Shouldn't be too hard.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-24-13 01:50 PM
    There are some recent updates to the bridge files in the latest Z10 leak so there may be some hope.

Updates to core OS bridge apps, there is hope for an updated bridge app to link to playbook to go with this then....

sys.bridgeApp01-10.1.1.66
    sys.bridgeApp02-10.1.1.66
    sys.bridgeApp03-10.1.1.66
    sys.bridgeApp04-10.1.1.66
    sys.bridgeApp05-10.1.1.66
    sys.bridgeCalendar-10.1.1.66
    sys.bridgeContacts-10.1.1.66
    sys.bridgeMemoPad-10.1.1.66
    sys.bridgeMessages-10.1.1.66
    sys.bridgeTasks-10.1.1.66

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:53 PM
    I would also dearly love my fully working bridge back with my Z10 but what frightens me is I know my Z10 battery can't cope with the connection. It would flatten the Z10 battery in about three hours? Not much point then.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 09:16 PM
    We want BB10 Bridge update! We want BB10 Bridge update!
    FF22 likes this.
    07-24-13 09:21 PM
    I love my Playbook (typing this on it now). I love my Q10. I want to be able to text on the Bridge like I could with my 9900. That isn't too much to ask, is it?
    cvcv, FF22 and Revampd like this.
    07-25-13 06:17 PM
    Is there anyone on the CrackBerry.com leadership board that can clarify if we really ARE all just wasting our time? Can anyone clarify whether there IS a plan afoot in BlackBerry to fix Bridge?

Can you get one minute phone call between CBK and Thor and have CBK ask "Thor, can you PLEASE commit to adding full Bridge capability to BB10 on handhelds, and reissuing the PlayBook Bridge app so the PlayBook users can Bridge to their BB10 devices?"

Thor could say
    "Yes, we're working on that now it will be in a future BB10 release" or;
    "Yes, we are going to start working on that" or;
    "No, we tried, we couldn't do it for these specific technical reasons:......." or;
    "No, we are not going to do anything to bring back the PlayBook Bridge connectivity with BB10 handhelds".

Seriously, even if they're not going to do ANY more work on PlayBook OS, they ARE working on BB10, and if BB10 could just get back it's basic Bridge functionality, the attitude of lots of PlayBook users would improve.

Bla1ze?
    James?
    CBK?
    Adam?

ANYONE LISTENING? CAN YOU HELP US?

Alec Saunders I beseech you... come to us from beyond... answer us... give us the benefit of your divine knowledge... Alec Saunders are you listening can you hear us Alec Saunders
    FF22 and svelt like this.
    07-31-13 11:12 AM
    I have a burning, but probably dumb question regarding this.
    Is there ANY way to get my PB to get "Wi fi" either thru my Z 10, or my wifes IPhone?
    I really don't care about the "full" bridge capabilities, but want to be able to use my PB to surf the net at our cabin next week, and we dont get wi fi out there.
    Thanks, and sorry!

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 11:18 AM
    Is there anyone on the CrackBerry.com leadership board that can clarify if we really ARE all just wasting our time? Can anyone clarify whether there IS a plan afoot in BlackBerry to fix Bridge?

Can you get one minute phone call between CBK and Thor and have CBK ask "Thor, can you PLEASE commit to adding full Bridge capability to BB10 on handhelds, and reissuing the PlayBook Bridge app so the PlayBook users can Bridge to their BB10 devices?"

Thor could say
    "Yes, we're working on that now it will be in a future BB10 release" or;
    "Yes, we are going to start working on that" or;
    "No, we tried, we couldn't do it for these specific technical reasons:......." or;
    "No, we are not going to do anything to bring back the PlayBook Bridge connectivity with BB10 handhelds".

Seriously, even if they're not going to do ANY more work on PlayBook OS, they ARE working on BB10, and if BB10 could just get back it's basic Bridge functionality, the attitude of lots of PlayBook users would improve.

Bla1ze?
    James?
    CBK?
    Adam?

ANYONE LISTENING? CAN YOU HELP US?

Alec Saunders I beseech you... come to us from beyond... answer us... give us the benefit of your divine knowledge... Alec Saunders are you listening can you hear us Alec Saunders
    try tweeting him.
    https://twitter.com/asaunders
    07-31-13 11:28 AM
    "We are in the process of evaluating our DEAD PB strategy but don't comment on unannounced dead or soon-to-be-dead products! But there is a Bridge in Brooklyn BB is willing to sell you."
    tarektoverso likes this.
    07-31-13 11:57 AM
    "We are in the process of evaluating our DEAD PB strategy but don't comment on unannounced dead or soon-to-be-dead products! But there is a Bridge in Brooklyn BB is willing to sell you."
    Base on his tweets earlier he is somewhere in that vicinity. So not that far from the truth.
    07-31-13 11:04 PM
    I think that you have the wrong bridge, F2. The one Heins is trying to sell is Galloping Gertie, the first Tacoma Narrows bridge. It works well if you stay with legacy devices, but cannot handle the hot air from BB10. At least the engineers of that time learned from their mistakes, but it seems that RIM isn't learning from theirs....
    07-31-13 11:42 PM
    I have a burning, but probably dumb question regarding this.
    Is there ANY way to get my PB to get "Wi fi" either thru my Z 10, or my wifes IPhone?
    If your wife's data plan supports this, she can just turn on "personal hotspot" under settings. Then her phone will be a wifi hotspot for you.
    07-31-13 11:50 PM
27 12