Mine cracked due to pressure on the screen.

I went through the warranty process. They sent me a box with a bunch of papers. One of them was a sheet describing the problem.

In the end, they told me that there would be a $249 charge + tax since the LCD screen was cracked (physical damage) and I was like forget it. So, i asked them to return it.

It would be better if you buy the part. Make sure you know if the LCD or the digitizer is broken. The digitizer is the outer part which senses your touch. The LCD is the inner screen which actually is the display screen.

You could also try the warranty process if you have time. RIM fully paid for all the shipping.
    Hope this helps.
    01-26-12 08:01 AM
    So I called RIM today and it was like playing a tug of war with a giant. My argument is that this is a hardware malfunction because I used my Playbook in a normal situation while playing a game it cracked on me. The PlayBook was designed to be a interactive touch device and it is not avoidable.

Any who, the customer service was awful. Neither the manger, supervisor nor the customer service rep took accountability. I have proof of the focal pressing point. They say it's my fault for pressing the screen too hard. I told them this is a premium piece of technology and if a simple press can break the screen then there is a design flaw and should be addressed immediately.

They want $250 to repair my PB and kept on insisting I should have register my PB when I first bought it because it offers me a chance to buy extended complimentary warranty after 3 months. Well it's after 3 months and I was never informed about any complimentary warranty or registration. I ask the CS rep "the ext warranty doesn't do me any good and I can't register anymore so why do you keep bringing it up. Are you trying to make me feel bad?" She decline to comment.

I'm all disappointed being a BB fan for many years. Oh well...iPhone here I come.
    Last edited by thymaster; 01-26-12 at 04:26 PM.
    01-26-12 04:19 PM
    Well, Duct Tape usually works!
    Sorry to hear what happened!
    01-26-12 04:41 PM
    If there is a RIM office near where you live I would walk in with it and explain that you believe the screen may have been wrongly produced. They may give in if you are there in person.
    01-26-12 04:50 PM
    I've never heard anything about registering the playbook before and google isn't helping. How do you do that?
    01-26-12 05:32 PM
    That sucks. I almost feel bad for posting the hulk picture...

...almost!

All kidding aside, have you tried pricing a screen to repair yourself?

http://www.directfix.com/mm5/merchan...5#.TyHlTlyPkQg
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-26-12 05:42 PM
    Yikes lol. I've stepped on, slept on, and elbowed while sleeping near my Playbook and there's not a scratch on my naked screen.

Sorry to hear about your Playbook, I hope it works out in the end lol.
    01-26-12 05:46 PM
    Yikes lol. I've stepped on, slept on, and elbowed while sleeping near my Playbook and there's not a scratch on my naked screen.

Sorry to hear about your Playbook, I hope it works out in the end lol.
    I have my docking charger on my headboard... don't even hafta get out of bed to put the little darling to sleep. Then, on awakening, she's right there all charged up waiting for me...
    01-26-12 06:11 PM
    That sucks. I almost feel bad for posting the hulk picture...

Click to view quoted image

...almost!

All kidding aside, have you tried pricing a screen to repair yourself?

Blackberry PlayBook Touch Panel, Digitizer Glasstop Replacement | DirectFix
    Hehe, it's all cool. It's not the screen that crack, it's the LCD underneath the plastic screen that bled from the pressure point. My PB is acting all funny now. I'm going to take a picture and upload it soon.
    01-26-12 07:06 PM
    did you at least win the game?

I do feel bad I just thought maybe a smile would help
    01-26-12 07:33 PM
    did you at least win the game?

I do feel bad I just thought maybe a smile would help
    The fact that I earn a perfect 3 stars on all the level that I've completed is enough said why my screen was severely punished. LOL

I was on my last stage with a few more levels to go though. Damn balloons, why do they have to make it feel so real. Maybe I should sue the game company instead.
    01-26-12 07:43 PM
    I have to ask, how did you crack the screen with out breaking the glass? It is glass right?
    01-26-12 09:16 PM
    it sounds incredible that your playbook cracked while playing a game, i have angry birds on mine and i love it...

totally sorry to hear about what happened, i would try and call customer service and explain that you were using the playbook under what i would say are normal circumstances, it would be interesting to see how they would respond. it's worth a shot.

isn't the playbook supposed to have gorilla glass though? i have a screen protector on mine just to be sure....
    01-26-12 10:09 PM
    It is NOT gorilla glass.
    01-26-12 10:45 PM
    The fact that I earn a perfect 3 stars on all the level that I've completed is enough said why my screen was severely punished. LOL

I was on my last stage with a few more levels to go though. Damn balloons, why do they have to make it feel so real. Maybe I should sue the game company instead.
    glad to see the "LOL". maybe this is a perfect ad for the game
    01-27-12 12:14 AM
    i was just playing that.. you must of been punching those balloons hahah
    01-27-12 12:17 AM
    Here's a picture of the screen now.
    01-27-12 03:50 PM
    Hehe, it's all cool. It's not the screen that crack, it's the LCD underneath the plastic screen that bled from the pressure point. My PB is acting all funny now. I'm going to take a picture and upload it soon.
    First off, there is NO plastic on the PB screen....all glass, and....

It is NOT gorilla glass.
    You're correct, it's not Gorilla Glass, it's something much better, it's Asahi's Dragontrail glass.
    01-27-12 03:57 PM
    I've had my PB since October and just within the last 2 weeks didn't have anything protecting it. I bought a screen protector and a leather "Bluerex" carrying case and like them both, except that this weekend I picked up my PB and there is a big 4" crack along the screen. I thought it might have just been a scratch across the plastic screen protector, but i peeled it back and the crack is on the glass screen. And I have no idea how it could have happened. This sucks.
    01-30-12 12:32 PM
    I'm all disappointed being a BB fan for many years. Oh well...iPhone here I come.
    Your story bums me out, too; I'm a newcomer to all things RIM and I really wanted to love them. Not too sure you'll get better results with Apple, though, given the stories about their attitude towards their customers :P
    04-25-12 02:25 PM
    I understand RIM position on this. The can't replace every broken screen. It's unfortunate because there may be some manufacturing defects out there. They have know way of knowing what is abuse and what is defect.

I had my windshield cracked by a rock from a dump truck with the little door half opened. My attempt at speaking to the driver resulted in the middle finger. My attempt at speaking to the company resulted in laughter and a hang up. I eventually got an apology and check for damages but only after a call to the police department.
    It was explained to me that they are easy targets for folks looking for new windshields. Something that hadn't occurred to before the incident.
    04-25-12 02:45 PM
    OMG RIM should send you a new playbook, thats a complete fob off, i really am starting to dislike RIM and im also starting to wonder why i bought this bloody playbook, its just disappointment after disappointment.
    04-25-12 03:45 PM
    I would love to see a picture of the cracked screen!
    04-25-12 03:48 PM
    I would love to see a picture of the cracked screen!
    It's in post #42, right up there^^^
    04-25-12 03:54 PM
    I don't know but looking at that damage I get the impression that a fair amount of pressure had to be exerted on that one spot to cause the "crushed in" look. I would expect a defect to manifest with a cracks starting from a corner or the edge and be a single line or perhaps a "v" shaped split rather than an impact type pattern.
    04-25-12 06:10 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD