I purchased the 32g Playbook about 4 hours ago and can't get pass the update screen. I keep getting the error message 'can't connect to update server (9)'. I restart it and try again and get error 3001. Hugely frustrating and not what I expected.

I just want to get going with my new Playbook. Currently verging on giving it to the dog as a new toy to chew.
    02-04-12 12:17 PM
    I purchased the 32g Playbook about 4 hours ago and can't get pass the update screen. I keep getting the error message 'can't connect to update server (9)'. I restart it and try again and get error 3001. Hugely frustrating and not what I expected.

I just want to get going with my new Playbook. Currently verging on giving it to the dog as a new toy to chew.
    Your router may be blocking it.
    02-04-12 12:21 PM
    Got a playbook late last year (part of a competition prize) and when trying to register it got the dread "could not register this tablet (error 3001)" message. Did lots of googling to find out this was a not.uncommon error and was difficult to.resolve, and sure enough I struggled to resolve it.

This morning, I was getting ready to contact the competition organisers and return the tablet, and decided to have one last go at fixing it. Did a spot more googling and found a UK based user who'd had the same problem at christmas and had successfully sorted it by doing a hard reset with the pb attached to his PC running blackberry desktop.

Now, I'm sure I tried that before christmas, but figured I may as well give it another go. I was pretty shocked when ut actually worked! So here's the instructions for anyone who's having this problem:

install the blackberry desktop software on your pc.
    connect your playbook t your pc, and make sure it's recognised by he software (if you're having this problem it'll probably pop up a message about the tablet not being registered and completing setup; ignore this ).
    Turn off the tablet.
    Hold down the volume up key, then hold down the power key. Keep holding down both. After a few seconds blackberry desktop (on your pc) should pop ip a dialog box with several options, one of which is "update". Click "update".
    Your playbook should now update then reboot into a factory reset state, and you can step through and complete the registration process

I know that sounds like a lot of faff, I reckon it's well worth it. Only been using mine a few hours, but I'm very impressed. Lovely piece of kit

helped you google it.. didn't edit but think it was solved by loading with bds
    02-04-12 12:27 PM
    There is a problem with the update servers. Try later or look to see if it is posted here when they start working.
    jafobabe and KermEd like this.
    02-04-12 12:28 PM
    Call PlayBook technical support: !-877-644-8410
    KermEd likes this.
    02-04-12 01:35 PM
    I'd call tech support and request for them to push the 2.0 OS out to you as a way of saying sorry for your troubles.. slim chance of success but worth a try..
    02-04-12 01:56 PM
    Do the first update via wire connection. Connect it to your PC, start Blackberry Desktop Manager.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-04-12 01:57 PM
    There is a problem with the update servers. Try later or look to see if it is posted here when they start working.
    ^^^^^^^ What robsteve said... servers should be up in a couple of hours at the most.. they are working on it..
    02-04-12 01:58 PM
    Got a playbook late last year (part of a competition prize) and when trying to register it got the dread "could not register this tablet (error 3001)" message. Did lots of googling to find out this was a not.uncommon error and was difficult to.resolve, and sure enough I struggled to resolve it.

This morning, I was getting ready to contact the competition organisers and return the tablet, and decided to have one last go at fixing it. Did a spot more googling and found a UK based user who'd had the same problem at christmas and had successfully sorted it by doing a hard reset with the pb attached to his PC running blackberry desktop.

Now, I'm sure I tried that before christmas, but figured I may as well give it another go. I was pretty shocked when ut actually worked! So here's the instructions for anyone who's having this problem:

install the blackberry desktop software on your pc.
    connect your playbook t your pc, and make sure it's recognised by he software (if you're having this problem it'll probably pop up a message about the tablet not being registered and completing setup; ignore this ).
    Turn off the tablet.
    Hold down the volume up key, then hold down the power key. Keep holding down both. After a few seconds blackberry desktop (on your pc) should pop ip a dialog box with several options, one of which is "update". Click "update".
    Your playbook should now update then reboot into a factory reset state, and you can step through and complete the registration process

I know that sounds like a lot of faff, I reckon it's well worth it. Only been using mine a few hours, but I'm very impressed. Lovely piece of kit

helped you google it.. didn't edit but think it was solved by loading with bds
    Tried that with desktop manager - it just says no updates available.
    02-04-12 02:03 PM
    ^^^^^^^ What robsteve said... servers should be up in a couple of hours at the most.. they are working on it..
    Thanks for that Jafobabe. I'm sure you can understand how frustrating this is. I simply want to get on and get stuck into my new playbook. Not too much to ask is it?
    02-04-12 02:05 PM
    I wonder if the server maintenance is getting ready for 2.0 to be pushed? One can hope.
    cntrydncr223 and dentynefire like this.
    02-04-12 02:06 PM
    Hey Jafobabe, is there a RIM server status page that you know of so I can check if their servers are back up?
    02-04-12 02:09 PM
    I wonder if the server maintenance is getting ready for 2.0 to be pushed? One can hope.
    Haha now were talkin.
    02-04-12 02:47 PM
    Roll out OS2 in a big add campaign during the SuperBowl
    02-04-12 02:51 PM
    Has this issue made bgr or engadget yet?!!!!

I can imagine the frustration. As I've written I had had a 64gig sitting here debating opening it. Finally, yesterday I did so. The update was not going well and was scheduled to take 14 hours!!!!! It finally gave up and suggested retry. That only took about 40 minutes.

But adding apps - NovaHD is now about 50% downloaded but taking forever and I want to take this new unit on a bike ride for photo taking.
    Bluemoonjules likes this.
    02-04-12 03:36 PM
    Hey Jafobabe, is there a RIM server status page that you know of so I can check if their servers are back up?
    Have you tried the BB Support page?

or..
    Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    UK: 0-800-096-2805
    Twitter: @BlackberryHelp
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com
    02-04-12 03:39 PM
    Servers back up now
    02-04-12 03:43 PM
    Just started working here too. For the people with just a browser and setup app, the check for updates button will get you the rest now. Mine is in the process of downloading 83mb of updates.
    02-04-12 03:45 PM
    Just started working here too. For the people with just a browser and setup app, the check for updates button will get you the rest now. Mine is in the process of downloading 83mb of updates.
    02-04-12 03:46 PM
    The server is back up!
    02-04-12 04:01 PM
    Yay.. Powered up my PB this morning and BINGO! My PB updated right away.
    02-05-12 04:13 AM
    Let's see how Rim reacts to this rare but irritating issue. They already had discussed the REQUIREMENT for the upgrade immediately. Maybe this will hasten their review of the initialization process.

Have fun with your now working pb.
    02-05-12 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD