How do you define 'long-term storage'? And how would you ensure the optimal 45-50% battery charge if you're away, or if it is in fact in storage ??
    I'd probably say > or = 6 mos or so would be long term. That's why most new tech will say to charge fully before use. It is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed. I bet if you had 50% charge and you turned it off, it wouldn't move too much. I think that was what F2 was saying.
    FF22 and sad_old_man like this.
    12-19-13 08:23 AM
    So, do you think it would be better to just use the off on the battery icon, instead of doing 'airplane on- standby' every night?
    I think the discussion was aimed more at long term NON-USE. As opposed to daily or nightly rituals for regularly used Playbooks.

My regularly used 64gig just goes into standby and I do NOT alter any settings - I leave wifi and bt ON all of the time and just let it go into Standby and I pretty much charge it every night or other night as it needs charging.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    12-19-13 08:34 AM
    Well, I used to just turn off the wifi and put it on standby, but after a lengthy discussion, I learned that it was better to put it on airplane 'on' and standby.

I don't think electricity use is really an issue with the playbooks, but I do have at least one of them left plugged in until the other needs boosting -sometimes for 24 hrs. This does make the playbook warm.

Maybe I should unplug it, once it's charged?
    But once again, what would be the best option if you're leaving one at home for a couple of weeks, like vaca or zipping all over the planet, like SOM?
    I don't know if there is that much difference between what you were doing before and now with the airplane mode. Airplane mode just locks you out of accidentally turning on Wifi and BT while in flight. Airlines don't even want the device on so technically, it should be powered off on takeoff and in airplane mode when use is allowed. Turning off the wifi and BT manually accomplishes the same things power consumption-wise.

Yeah, I would unplug it once charged, if you think about it. Not the end of the world, tho. To be safe, I'd just turn the PB off if you didn't take it with you! LOL.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-19-13 08:35 AM
    I also heard that long term storage should be around 45-50% full. If you want to be technical. LOL.
    Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University
    I guess I should consider that the next time I leave the 32 off for an extended period. Generally, I don't turn it off. But we were going away for a long weekend, then I was going to LA and then the upstairs was being carpeted, so I knew it was going to be put aside for a while and then, Oh, horrors, I lost it in the turmoil - that added up to its extended REST!!!! I number of items disappeared long term during the turmoil. Could not find my Kindle, nor the chargers for my electric insoles (so I can bike when it is cold) and those things I, ahem, put aside so that they would be available!!!!

Four weeks later I'm still sorting stuff and shredding stuff and storing stuff and recycling stuff and trashing stuff. STUFF!!! I mean how many parallel and serials cables does one need in the age of bt and wifi and usb!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIKES....................
    Gooseberry Falls and Cynycl like this.
    12-19-13 08:42 AM
    I should have said, wif my two playbooks and not even the silly little iPod, now that it's gone ...

Attachment 231477
    That confirms it for me..........you is two pritty to bees a kandunadian you is........they is all not nice but you is pritty ? I is barrast gain now?
    castoridae likes this.
    12-19-13 09:10 AM
    Hehe. My Win 8 i7 laptop leaves both PB and N7 2012 in the dust.
    I is gonna gets a surface grape what does yous fink eh see?
    12-19-13 09:22 AM
    Hehe. My Win 8 i7 laptop leaves both PB and N7 2012 in the dust.
    IPod 4th gen is better then the playbook and your i7 win 8

Posted from Blackberry Q5 via CB10
    12-19-13 09:52 AM
    IPod 4th gen is better then the playbook and your i7 win 8

Well my my Samsung mp3 player is better despite it takes aaa batteries and only had 512mb

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-19-13 10:10 AM
    Well my my Samsung mp3 player is better despite it takes aaa batteries and only had 512mb

))))))

12-19-13 10:14 AM
    Official nuthin' to do with Playbook hijack thread-facebook-20131219-181308.png

Awwww cute little thing

12-19-13 10:14 AM

Wots won of dem den?
    12-19-13 12:30 PM
    I is gonna gets a surface grape what does yous fink eh see?
    You don't have to get a Surface. Save money and look at any Win 8 Pro tablet. I guess the Surface does have i5 processor, tho.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-19-13 01:29 PM
    Wots won of dem den?
    Umm it plays part one of my audio books.....then I need to go back to my home computer running Windows 95 and find my floppy disc with the drivers for my mp3 player and install then manually all to have something that holds like 50 songs

sad_old_man likes this.
    12-19-13 01:29 PM
    You don't have to get a Surface. Save money and look at any Win 8 Pro tablet. I guess the Surface does have i5 processor, tho.
    Wots one of dem den?
    12-19-13 01:41 PM
    Just stopped by to tell the statue to go fuk itself

As you were
    sad_old_man and castoridae like this.
    12-19-13 02:08 PM

As you were
    Brief but succinct?
    Cynycl and castoridae like this.
    12-19-13 02:27 PM

As you were
    Fuk you back stupid baby :*

12-19-13 03:00 PM
    As you were
    I lovs yah baby !!!
    Cynycl and sad_old_man like this.
    12-19-13 07:23 PM
    That confirms it for me..........you is two pritty to bees a kandunadian you is........they is all not nice but you is pritty ? I is barrast gain now?
    I agree and think my ancestors should have stayed in Ireland, where everyone loves leprechauns and I wouldn't have to worry about stupid ice storms
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-19-13 07:26 PM
    Brief but succinct?
    Brief but clear English!
    Cynycl likes this.
    12-19-13 07:28 PM
    I agree and think my ancestors should have stayed in Ireland, where everyone loves leprechauns and I wouldn't have to worry about stupid ice storms
    Panic in the streets - snow predicted for Seattle area!!!
    castoridae likes this.
    12-19-13 07:29 PM
    Brief but clear English!
    Yes, clear, perfect English - of the best calibre
    sad_old_man and Cynycl like this.
    12-19-13 07:39 PM
    Panic in the streets - snow predicted for Seattle area!!!
    Let's all run down to Florida and help SOM murder palm trees !
    FF22, sad_old_man and Cynycl like this.
    12-19-13 07:41 PM
    Let's all run down to Florida and help SOM murder palm trees !
    Do beavers munch palm trees?
    Cynycl likes this.
    12-19-13 07:45 PM
    I'd probably say > or = 6 mos or so would be long term. That's why most new tech will say to charge fully before use. It is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed. I bet if you had 50% charge and you turned it off, it wouldn't move too much. I think that was what F2 was saying.
    When I returned from England last summer, I discovered that I'd left my 32gig lying on the table. (took the 64G with me). It was left Unplugged still on, with wifi on. It showed the battery red. I immediately plugged it in and left it alone and it was ok. However, there were a number of threads just after that about people whose batteries went dead and they couldn't restore. A long list of recovery models followed.
    I'm in Copenhagen, Hamburg, and Oxford this year, so I'm paying close attention to proper storage procedures.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-19-13 07:48 PM
8,949 ... 227228229230231 ...