Say what?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    I have been having internet problems all weekend. I called my internet provider time warner and they said it is a net gear router problem. So I called net gear and they said it was a time warner problem. So I disconnected the router and plugged my laptop directly in to the cable modem and it works fine. So I called net gear back and told them that the problem was on there side and they agreed with me. Net gear said that my support was up on my year old router and I have two options. Option 1 for $140.00 they will do a update on my router with 14 month support on all my devices. Option 2 for $90.00 they would do the update with 9 mouth support on my devices. I told them that I wasn't going to pay them anything. They said thoughs are you options and I told them I have another option. He asked me what that is, so I told him I am throwing my router in the trash and going to purchase one from a different manufacturer. So I'm asking if anyone has any ideas on a good router that the manufacturer isn't going to try to screw me when it year warranty is up.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-30-13 12:39 PM
    I have been having internet problems all weekend. I called my internet provider time warner and they said it is a net gear router problem. So I called net gear and they said it was a time warner problem. So I disconnected the router and plugged my laptop directly in to the cable modem and it works fine. So I called net gear back and told them that the problem was on there side and they agreed with me. Net gear said that my support was up on my year old router and I have two options. Option 1 for $140.00 they will do a update on my router with 14 month support on all my devices. Option 2 for $90.00 they would do the update with 9 mouth support on my devices. I told them that I wasn't going to pay them anything. They said thoughs are you options and I told them I have another option. He asked me what that is, so I told him I am throwing my router in the trash and going to purchase one from a different manufacturer. So I'm asking if anyone has any ideas on a good router that the manufacturer isn't going to try to screw me when it year warranty is up.
    Regardless of what brand you purchase, once the warranty is up, you'll have to purchase a new one. How many years you had that Net gear?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-30-13 12:43 PM
    Regardless of what brand you purchase, once the warranty is up, you'll have to purchase a new one. How many years you had that Net gear?
    Not even a year. I will purchase a new one before I give them azzholes any money. Trying to sell me something I don't want.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-30-13 12:47 PM
    same for any device
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-30-13 12:47 PM
    same for any device
    This is the problem I really have with this, net gear did an update that made it not compatible with time warners modems and want me to give them money to update the firm ware for what it would cost to go purchase a new one. Isn't happening.
    sad_old_man and Carl Estes like this.
    09-30-13 12:55 PM
    I got TWC, too. I got the Motorola SBG6580 Gateway (Modem+router). Seems to work OK. You can get it ~$90 refurb on eBay.
    sad_old_man and dphjeff like this.
    09-30-13 12:58 PM
    Not even a year. I will purchase a new one before I give them azzholes any money. Trying to sell me something I don't want.
    The problem with router is, there's no consensus of which brand is actually better. Normally, if you buy any electronic gadget, you get a majority of users who agree one brand over another. I've search through the web and read countless of review still can't quite sure which brand is better. Just when you think you found one and you read about some compelling negative reviews that stop you cold.
    Carl Estes and sad_old_man like this.
    09-30-13 01:01 PM
    I got TWC, too. I got the Motorola SBG6580 Gateway (Modem+router). Seems to work OK. You can get it ~$90 refurb on eBay.
    I have been going to purchase a new modem because TWC is charging me $4.99 per month for it. That will kill two birds with one stone. Sorry birds.
    09-30-13 01:07 PM
    The problem with router is, there's no consensus of which brand is actually better. Normally, if you buy any electronic gadget, you get a majority of users who agree one brand over another. I've search through the web and read countless of review still can't quite sure which brand is better. Just when you think you found one and you read about some compelling negative reviews that stop you cold.
    True. I always research and found some serious complaints on the Moto. So was wary. It is what they were installing in my area so you got to believe they would make pretty sure it would always work. They don't want the hassle.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-30-13 01:11 PM
    I have been going to purchase a new modem because TWC is charging me $4.99 per month for it. That will kill two birds with one stone. Sorry birds.
    Yeah, no way was I going to rent from them. They got me with 1 cable box for HD, tho. $10 now? Pirates...Been trying to work around that. Only way so far is to WIDI from PC to HDTV. They disabled HDMI from their android app. Looking at ChromeCast next.
    09-30-13 01:12 PM
    I am surprised that netgear wanted to charge for updates to the router. I have used a netgear router and there was no charge for the updates.

Comcast was was charging me $7.00 per month for a modem so I bought a Motorola Surfboard SB6121 about 18 months ago. Experience has been excellent.
    Last edited by jpash549; 09-30-13 at 01:32 PM.
    09-30-13 01:13 PM
    True. I always research and found some serious complaints on the Moto. So was wary. It is what they were installing in my area so you got to believe they would make pretty sure it would always work. They don't want the hassle.
    I don't pay to much attention to the reviews on a product unless there is nothing but bad things said about a product and not much good. You can't make everyone happy.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-30-13 01:17 PM
    I am surprised that netgear wanted to charge for updates to the router. I had used anetgear router
    Every time that I have called them in the past they have tried to sell me something.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-30-13 01:20 PM
    I am surprised that netgear wanted to charge for updates to the router. I had used anetgear router
    Yeah, that is weird. I never seen being charged for firmware updates. There's some generic one you can flash called dd-wrt:
    What is DD-WRT? - DD-WRT Wiki
    09-30-13 01:25 PM
    I don't pay to much attention to the reviews on a product unless there is nothing but bad things said about a product and not much good. You can't make everyone happy.
    Hehe. Sometimes I try to correlate with "refurbs" available. There seems to be a lot of these refurbed Motos. But I do pretty well with refurbs. I usually buy "manufacturer refurb", tho. Knock on wood.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-30-13 01:29 PM
    Yeah, no way was I going to rent from them. They got me with 1 cable box for HD, tho. $10 now? Pirates...Been trying to work around that. Only way so far is to WIDI from PC to HDTV. They disabled HDMI from their android app. Looking at ChromeCast next.
    There charging me $10.00 for DVR converter and $12.99 for DVR service. Doesn't make sents if you want the service you have to have the converter and they charge for it ?. Didn't give me the option of purchasing the modem. I asked them the other day and they said I can purchase one instead of renting it.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-30-13 01:30 PM
    Sorry, stone?
    sad_old_man and dphjeff like this.
    09-30-13 01:32 PM
    There charging me $10.00 for DVR converter and $12.99 for DVR service. Doesn't make sents if you want the service you have to have the converter and they charge for it ?. Didn't give me the option of purchasing the modem. I asked them the other day and they said I can purchase one instead of renting it.
    Ahhhh, you're rich! I'm trying to keep the bill <$150/mo. I work all day and only watch a few hours a week. And that is usually marathon reruns of Star Trek: Next Generation on of all things BBC-America! Waste of money.
    09-30-13 01:36 PM
    Damn third world countries, what can you expect?
    09-30-13 02:04 PM
    Damn third world countries, what can you expect?
    Consider someone is floating in an unknown destination, you should be the one talking about third world.
    09-30-13 02:12 PM
    Ahhhh, you're rich! I'm trying to keep the bill <$150/mo. I work all day and only watch a few hours a week. And that is usually marathon reruns of Star Trek: Next Generation on of all things BBC-America! Waste of money.
    You work all day? Your on here all day.
    09-30-13 02:17 PM
    You work all day? Your on here all day.
    Some of us define work loosely
    09-30-13 02:18 PM
    Consider someone is floating in an unknown destination, you should be the one talking about third world.
    Waterworld????

c
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-30-13 02:21 PM
    Some of us define work loosely
    Or just loose work?

c
    09-30-13 02:22 PM
    Just because I don't know where I am doesn't mean.............Erm...well Ahab knows where we are, I think, I hope........where actually am I?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-30-13 02:25 PM
8,949 ... 131132133134135 ...