Now that goes back to your first statement holes. There was holes in the popcorn machine to let water in and that made it not to be buoyant.
    That hole is for butter!!
    09-23-13 07:27 AM
    Mutter..........Mutter.........Mutter damned animals being clever!
    dphjeff and Carl Estes like this.
    09-23-13 07:37 AM
    Thousands of tons thats how it floats, Displacement. Just like the ice in our cocktails.
    Or like an iceberg in the MedOfficial nuthin' to do with Playbook hijack thread-titanic_libor_77_b_95.jpg...
    09-23-13 08:29 AM
    Or like an iceberg in the MedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Titanic_libor_77_b_95.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	204653...
    STOP it grape!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-23-13 08:32 AM
    Thousands of tons thats how it floats, Displacement. Just like the ice in our cocktails.
    I don't think that's quite true. Ice is lighter than water. It is the basis of the mixing that occurs as water drops in temperature and then freezes. I forget the magic number but as water chills, it gets denser/heavier and sinks, taking nutrients with it lower. But as it chills further and freezes it will float as it gains weight. It is the reason ice forms on the surface, protecting the underlying water and its various fishes and thingies from fully freezing. The reverse happens as it warms in Spring. The chilled melt water sinks, stirring the pot so to speak, and then warms some more and mixes thoroughly. Or something like that.

But then, maybe I don't remember any of that!
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    09-23-13 08:37 AM
    STOP it grape!
    Yeah grape your going to give S_O_M nightmares. He has enough to worry about.
    Carl Estes and sad_old_man like this.
    09-23-13 08:37 AM
    That hole is for butter!!
    And butter floats! Full circle
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-23-13 08:38 AM
    Yeah grape your going to give S_O_M nightmares. He has enough to worry about.
    I didn't until now?
    09-23-13 08:43 AM
    I didn't until now?
    I hear Godzilla is being born off the coast of Fukushima...How far is that from the Med?
    sad_old_man, Carl Estes and FF22 like this.
    09-23-13 08:49 AM
    I hear Godzilla is being born off the coast of Fukushima...How far is that from the Med?
    And your asking me that? Your so funny sometimes grape!
    09-23-13 08:52 AM
    I don't think that's quite true. Ice is lighter than water. It is the basis of the mixing that occurs as water drops in temperature and then freezes. I forget the magic number but as water chills, it gets denser/heavier and sinks, taking nutrients with it lower. But as it chills further and freezes it will float as it gains weight. It is the reason ice forms on the surface, protecting the underlying water and its various fishes and thingies from fully freezing. The reverse happens as it warms in Spring. The chilled melt water sinks, stirring the pot so to speak, and then warms some more and mixes thoroughly. Or something like that.

But then, maybe I don't remember any of that!
    F2 (the Science Guy) is right!
    Why Does Ice Float?
    FF22 likes this.
    09-23-13 08:53 AM
    And your asking me that? Your so funny sometimes grape!
    Oops...Yeah...Sorry, location-challenged...forgot about that...
    09-23-13 08:54 AM
    [QUOTE=F2;9221406]I don't think that's quite true. Ice is lighter than water. It is the basis of the mixing that occurs as water drops in temperature and then freezes. I forget the magic number but as water chills, it gets denser/heavier and sinks, taking nutrients with it lower. But as it chills further and freezes it will float as it gains weight. It is the reason ice forms on the surface, protecting the underlying water and its various fishes and thingies from fully freezing. The reverse happens as it warms in Spring. The chilled melt water sinks, stirring the pot so to speak, and then warms some more and mixes thoroughly. Or something like that.

But then, maybe I don't remember any of that![/QUOTE

Here is one for you F2. Check this out. I made a paper clip float just for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Official nuthin' to do with Playbook hijack thread-img_00000431.jpg  
    sad_old_man and FF22 like this.
    09-23-13 08:55 AM
    Why Does Ice Float?
    No he's not? It's so it can float around and find boats to crash into and sink! Just like the one I'm on?
    09-23-13 08:56 AM
    STOP it grape!
    Hey, where are my points?????
    09-23-13 08:58 AM
    [QUOTE=dphjeff;9221552]

Nice try you potential dinner you. That's surface tension and nothing to do with icebergs sinking this boat I'm on!
    09-23-13 08:58 AM
    [QUOTE=sad_old_man;9221580]

Nice try you potential dinner you. That's surface tension and nothing to do with icebergs sinking this boat I'm on!
    Im trying to make you fill better about being on that floating brick!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-23-13 09:01 AM

And yes its all of the above density, surface tension, and displacement.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-23-13 09:04 AM
    [QUOTE=dphjeff;9221602]

Im trying to make you fill better about being on that floating brick!
    Latest breaking news brought to you first on this thread "ITS NOT WORKING DUCK"!
    09-23-13 09:14 AM
    [QUOTE=sad_old_man;9221690]

Latest breaking news brought to you first on this thread "ITS NOT WORKING DUCK"!
    Here it another one to help ease your mind. Salinity and density.
    Attached Thumbnails Official nuthin' to do with Playbook hijack thread-img_00000433.jpg   Official nuthin' to do with Playbook hijack thread-img_00000435.jpg  
    09-23-13 09:35 AM
    As the gnome flies or by boat or a full water route?
    09-23-13 09:41 AM
    Why Does Ice Float?
    Bach of Science in Biology: One of my biology professors is probably rolling in their grave that I remembered that stuff.
    09-23-13 09:46 AM
    [QUOTE=dphjeff;9221552]

That's good. We would not want all those bacteria you introduced on the surface of the paper clip to drown!
    09-23-13 09:48 AM

I believe your tension is more than surface deep - so is that water waiting to envelope you!
    09-23-13 09:49 AM
    Mmmmmmmm and there I was thinking displacement and surface tension was physics not biology? You learn something new every day don't you? Just goes to show that having a Masters Degree makes you thick. Hold on I have a Masters Degree..................ah at last I understand why I'm thick?
    09-23-13 09:54 AM
8,949 ... 116117118119120 ...