Sometimes I see the benefit of sitting up front, if this is what you lot are up to behind me!
    06-12-13 07:52 AM
    You better watch out S_O_M. Some of the people in forum may hit you in the back of the head with spit balls if they find out that its you up front.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-12-13 08:04 AM
    Or watch the entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    Me loooves buffy altough i hate my british accent .. oh the irony

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using CB Forums mobile app
    dphjeff and sad_old_man like this.
    06-12-13 08:11 AM
    I hope that you got your tax credit on your solar at least.
    Was it PV or solar thermal?
    Electric power.
    Well, if I live till next year, I will get a Federal Tax credit - 30%, I believe. So far, they waived the sales tax on materials/installation, there was a group purchasing discount (not noted in actual dollar amount???), I get to use the solar power I generate and with "net metering" I also get the excess but that cancels out each April (in other words I can use it at night or when it's cloudy but once each year, it just zeros out and then I restart the accumulation). Then as a State incentive (both the panels and inverter were made in WA), I get 54 Cents for each and every kilowatt I generate even for those I use - estimated at $1,500 (+/-) per year. The overall payback will still be 9 years, also plus/minus.

Have you seen the video I created with the PB and Advanced Camera:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/adzcxs7sfa...solarmusic.mp4
    dphjeff likes this.
    06-12-13 09:08 AM
    Hey, I'm still here! Did I miss dinner?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-12-13 09:39 AM
    Hey, I'm still here! Did I miss dinner?
    YOU are dinner!
    angieberry10 and KittyBomb like this.
    06-12-13 09:54 AM
    Then I'll have to morph into OceanSpray....(oops, stupid login!)
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-12-13 10:07 AM
    There, that's better...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-12-13 10:11 AM
    There, that's better...
    See I told you that you're a transvestite didn't I. You have disgraced the gooseberry nation.
    06-12-13 10:17 AM
    See I told you that you're a transvestite didn't I. You have disgraced the gooseberry nation.
    cranberry juice is great for urinary trac infections
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-12-13 10:46 AM
    cranberry juice is great for urinary trac infections
    OMG I'm ill and I don't know it........ Aahhh what's the consultants number?
    06-12-13 12:35 PM
    Transvestites and plumbing infections.

This thread is really reaching new depths of depravity.
    sad_old_man and eddy_berry like this.
    06-12-13 01:30 PM
    oh probiotic yogurt also good for those infections
    06-12-13 01:50 PM
    Hmmm. Dr OZ has turned into a fish?
    sad_old_man and Cynycl like this.
    06-12-13 02:01 PM
    Hmmm. Dr OZ has turned into a fish?
    He doth seem to be overly knowlegable about infections. Seems fishy to me.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    06-12-13 02:26 PM
    I think it was you who left that review on Amazon!
    06-12-13 02:26 PM
    It was a dark and stormy night.....

Hang tough our Midwest US of A friends. This is looking like a wild ride tonight
    KittyBomb and sad_old_man like this.
    06-12-13 05:22 PM
    I'm expecting to see the wizard tonight...can't wait for S_O_M to take me.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-12-13 05:52 PM
    I think it was you who left that review on Amazon!
    review? amazon ? you know I only just clued in now that the picture posted in another thread ofna barracuda was for me lol
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-12-13 05:53 PM
    First the baby now the dog! Wots with all this picture swapping. I can't recognise anybody anymore. Everyones trying to decide me and hide from me.

(sounds of slow footsteps walking into the distance and feint singing:

nobody loves me
    everybody hates me
    let's go and eat some worms,

Bite their heads off
    Suck all the juice out
    See how the little ones squirm.

Footsteps fade away)
    SOM - aka BOM (bad old man), you're memory's fading away too the song continues:
    ' big fat juicy ones,
    Long thin slimy ones
    And itsy bitsy teeny ones too!'
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-12-13 07:41 PM
    Electric power.
    Well, if I live till next year, I will get a Federal Tax credit - 30%, I believe. So far, they waived the sales tax on materials/installation, there was a group purchasing discount (not noted in actual dollar amount???), I get to use the solar power I generate and with "net metering" I also get the excess but that cancels out each April (in other words I can use it at night or when it's cloudy but once each year, it just zeros out and then I restart the accumulation). Then as a State incentive (both the panels and inverter were made in WA), I get 54 Cents for each and every kilowatt I generate even for those I use - estimated at $1,500 (+/-) per year. The overall payback will still be 9 years, also plus/minus.

Have you seen the video I created with the PB and Advanced Camera:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/adzcxs7sfa...solarmusic.mp4
    Your video is great. Wish we could get people to work that fast here in the mid southeast. Don't know that I understand your mathematics though. You get 54 cents from the state of Washington for every kwh you generate and you generate about $1500 back per year which says you average 7.6 kwh per day. Looked to me like your system was bigger than that. How many square feet of panel do you have and what is the maximum power rating of your rig? Guess you have to boost your output to utility which is usually 220-240 volts I suppose.

The Germans have gone big in solar power with the incentives such that people are covering there houses to feed back to the utility.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-12-13 10:27 PM
    F2 Thanks for the video, is that about a1500 watt system? I was trying to figure out the magnetic declination was correct by cloud movement and shadowing but couldn't really tell. Your tilt angle should be around 47 deg for year-round optimum performance . Nice looking array. Enjoy.
    Last edited by dphjeff; 06-13-13 at 02:32 PM. Reason: One extra zero on 1500
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-12-13 11:06 PM
    The math may be wrong. It is based on their estimate for a calendar year. Actually, when we went to the presentation, they compared our solar exposure to that in Germany. And having been in northern Italy and back to Munich in Jan/Feb (cross-country ski trip) we saw lots of solar. The system only went in in mid-April.

I expect that while getting some nice sun now (sunset rise is before 5am and sunset after 9pm), Nov-Feb and more likely Oct-Mar will be pretty low generation periods.

Attached find a graph of todays fairly nicely curved generation and the estimated earning based on the 54 Cents. The costs for power vary by amount of usage so they plugged in the higher tier rate but it probably will be lower. I have observed that almost everytime I turn on the hot water, usage spikes.

It was fun making the video - missed the first day due to RAIN. Only took 2.5 days for the install.

I think the panels are 200 per panel and 15 panels. The system I have requires all panels to be in alignment with the sun so no panels on the dormer. If there had been separate inverters, they they could have had independent alignment.

I do feed back to the utility - today for instance. Again, I can "use" that power till next April when it Zeroes out. Starts again in April, etc. But I don't sell that excess power - if there is any, I donate. The 54 Cents is a separate incentive and ends in 2020 (unless the legislature finds some pennies somewhere - there was legislation to make it an even 10 years but that did not pass this year). Similarly the 10% local sales tax exception ends the end of this month.

Funny, the day it was completed, we had a 1,000 home power failure - quite unusual. At first I thought my system was defective and took the house out with it!!! It was in the evening, so no solar, but the way the system works, even it it occurred during a nice solar time, my house would still go dark. That's so that I'm not feeding power into the line if the repair folks are outside trying to fix it - don't want any dead or shocked repairers! So my system shuts down if power goes out.
    Attached Thumbnails Official nuthin' to do with Playbook hijack thread-solargraph.jpg   Official nuthin' to do with Playbook hijack thread-solarearnings.jpg  
    Last edited by F2; 06-13-13 at 12:47 AM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-13-13 12:31 AM
    Hey F2! I remember you posted this video to show off Advanced Camera for the Playbook some time ago. I wish I could enjoy some solar energy too, but the south side of my house has two large Maples that block the sun. I would rather have 2 beautiful trees at the moment. Especially with the hammock in between them. It is nice to see you are enjoying the energy and sharing it.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-13-13 02:05 AM
    review? amazon ? you know I only just clued in now that the picture posted in another thread ofna barracuda was for me lol
    Remember that page long post from S_o_M that you didn't read?
    That was the Amazon review. It was funny, go back and read it.

Fish can read, right? If not, have someone read it to you.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-13-13 04:36 AM
8,949 ... 7891011 ...