12-28-14 04:04 AM
1,192 ... 4344454647 ...
tools
    Take it to the MAX, Max741. Good luck....
    05-30-12 09:13 AM
    Don't think for one moment, Max741, that your experience is the norm. I have 2 PB's and have gone through 2 initial setups and several upgrades with no problem at all! If it's a brand new PB, then you're just having a hard time of it. Best of luck!
    05-30-12 10:08 AM
    Sweet! I didn't know there was an official thread. I just picked up my Playbook a week ago and she never leaves my side. She's a solid piece of sexy. RIM has definitely delivered with 2.0 and I can't wait to see what's next.
    05-30-12 10:24 AM
    I'm still counting down. My Playbook is wrapped up as my 13 June birthday present from the wife. I'm spending my time waiting reading all the posts and instructions so that I don't post some question already answered several times. I'll add a post when I unwrap it, charge it, go through the update process, then put it into action. I'm actually going to call in sick that day to get through the process!
    06-11-12 05:09 AM
    OKAY I'll add my latest, last week I purchased my third PlayBook. My first was a 32g, then I bought a 16g for my daughter. Last week after having mine stolen I bought a new 64g.
    06-11-12 05:42 AM
    Longtime BlackBerry user here. Never really thought I needed a tablet either......but went to work on Friday and was given a PlayBook!! Thankyouplease.
    What a fantastic bit of kit this is. Can't believe I didn't buy one sooner.
    06-11-12 05:59 AM
    Like a lot of people have said, I never really "needed" a tablet. The ipads seemed like a novelty (giant ipod touch) and didn't let me create anything. Then I saw a great deal on a 32gb PB and did some research and it didn't take long to make my decision.

I have had it now about 3 weeks and LOVE IT. The quality. The weight. The feel. The uses.
    It has to be the most under-rated tablet out there. But I am telling everyone I know.
    06-11-12 05:30 PM
    And I am waiting until tomorrow the 12th for my B-day present from my wife and daughter. I married right! 32 gb is in hiding until tomorrow. Oh wait - I am not supposed to know that.
    06-11-12 07:10 PM
    So my initial experience with the Playbook is rather frustrating and makes me want to holler. I've been anticipating the PB from last week thursday and I finally got hands on it tonight at 10PM. I unboxed it and went straight into the initial setup having no idea what i was about to get myself into, the first hiccup occured at the BB ID agreement screen where i could not select agree or disagree and i ended up restarting the tab, then signing in with my BB ID after this, i got the MANDATORY update screen which i was fine with, i left it plugged in to download and install and at 49% it said could not install and ive restarted more than 8 times to the same issue now Ive connected it to the desktop and its downloading ONE module that seems to be about 3GIGS (exaggeration) but its taking forever and my internet is not that slow.
    So the official I got my PB feeling is not good ......but I love a challenge and these are things that keep me hooked to BB (I love fixing things)
    Now its 1:25 and by the looks of it i wont be able to use this baby by tomorrow so im just going to troll the net till i fall asleep.

I also had a similar experience. updating to the latest software was the worst nightware i ever had. But I ultimately I succeeded by using their desktop software and using my internet for nearly 4 hours.
    06-12-12 07:59 AM
    Finally decided to get a Playbook. Got a great deal and now I'm loving it. 16GB PB. Bridge with my 9930 works well and I'm already using it more than my laptop. I had an ipad and I honestly think the PB is so much better due to the awesome web browser.
    06-20-12 12:55 AM
    I got my 16GB playbook about three weeks back but I just saw this thread so....

Frankly speaking, I bought the playbook knowing full well that the app market wasn't as full as Android (And me coming from an Android phone) but the reason I did buy it were the screaming hardware specs and the better screen as compared to other tabs in a similar price range.

I am insanely impressed with the multi-tasking on the Playbook. If it was the single feature on the Playbook, it would be enough! That's how awesome it is to me! It kicks Android in the... Er... Bottom Another killer feature for me are the bezel gestures. No more buttons for me
    This OS has a lot of potential! RIM just needs to unleash that!

It's got a fair set of applications (At least for my purposes) and with sideloading, it has got a better set. The form factor is ideal (Though I haven't used a 10' tab so I'm not too sure) for something one can carry.

The full-fledged browser is wonderful to use. The only thing that is missing is an Adblock plugin.

The one other thing that I miss is the lack of widgets on the homescreens.

Other than that, I feel the Playbook was a really good buy!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-20-12 06:12 AM
    I finally got mines and couldn't be happier. Just got it set up and you know the first thing I did was post here!
    06-25-12 10:22 PM
    Ordered mine yesterday, hope it gets in the mail soon! also ordered the convertible case with it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-26-12 12:11 PM
    Bought mine on Sunday.. Trying to get one app to load and it isn't working.. *sigh* InstaPhoto.. I'll search to see if anyone has any tips for this app
    06-26-12 01:35 PM
    Got my new playbook yesterday and love it.

Today I tried to get BBM working with my new 9320.

• all software updated on 9320
    • BBM 6.2.0.44 (is bang up to date)
    • got error message on playbook - complaining it could not connect

After a bit of googling I figured out that the playbook software was not upto date and therefore could not contact the updated 9320 BBM

then:

• Updated the software through the settings menu
    • Software updated to latest playbook OS 2 version
    • PlayBook booted but booting screens have a red shadow on the Blackberry white text, booting dots screens have red artifacts on them
    • Finally booted and ALL seemed OK
    • Well behaved for about twenty minutes and then froze completely
    • Nothing could shift the brick
    • Looked up factory reset from forums and followed instructions to reset the playbook.
    • Spent 45-50 minutes reloading the OS (now up to date)
    • PB booted and BBM worked !!!
    • 15 minutes later PB shut itself down
    • PlayBook booted but booting screens have a red shadow on the Blackberry white text, booting dots screens have red artifacts on them

Any suggestions to resolve - else I will take unit back to retailer
    06-27-12 11:12 AM
    Try again, but maybe with a different USB port or computer, but only after you uninstalled the tablet OS software and reinstalled it, if you did a local install instead of via desktop manager (if that's even possible).

After a bit of googling I figured out that the playbook software was not upto date and therefore could not contact the updated 9320 BBM

then:

• Looked up factory reset from forums and followed instructions to reset the playbook.

06-27-12 11:35 AM
    Just got my 16 gb playbook last Saturday and I'm loving it. Really well made and a beautiful device. Lets hope Rim well dazzle us with OS 10!
    06-27-12 12:26 PM

then:

I would definitely get in contact with BB support. It won't cost you anything and I have found they are extremely helpful and will do what needs to be done to get you up and running well. The call is worth it as BB bridge works great once it is set up properly. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your PlayBook as much as I do.
    06-27-12 02:19 PM
    I got my Playbook a week ago, and I've been learning a lot about it. This is my first BlackBerry product and first tablet, and I bought it with the purpose of using it for a PDA, GPS and web surfing with the hope of connecting to work through a VPN/VNC type deal. It wasn't exactly an impulse buy, but I didn't research it much before buying. The sales guy steered me away from another similarly-priced tablet.

Here's my first impressions and list of pros and cons with a how-do-I-feel-about-that score where 10/10 is jaw-dropping fabulous and 0/10 is jaw-dropping horrible.

Form Factor: 7
    I like the size; it's not too big to bring on the bus, and small enough so that if I wear the right pants I can put it in my pocket when I need my hands free. Still feels like the borders could have been smaller to make the whole unit more streamlined. At least the big borders make swiping easy.

Hardware Layout: 8
    I like the placement of things. Might have been nice to make the usb flush but whatever, that would introduce another issue.

It's good, it operates smoothly, looks polished, and has good sensible swiping options, though I felt the side bits were underused, such as not using the sides for scrolling a web page. I discovered by accident I can create more than the default two pages of icons, and that was terrific to know. Made things easier to organize. Hopefully I'll learn how to re-size icons and change their spacing. Category shortcuts on the first page or on a swipe menu would be nice but I don't want to get picky.

App Store: 5
    Right now it feels like a crap shoot finding things, and Android apps are not tagged as such. The Top Paid and Top Free and Newest are not arranged or grouped in any particular way as far as I know. But I have found some great paid and free apps.

Browser: 5 ( 9/10 for browsing 1/10 for no password saving )

GPS and directional: 8/10
    I really like having the GPS, and usually it fixes pretty fast. Compass is usually accurate too, but it's hard to know whether occasional inaccuracy is due to area fields or software. The Navigator app is terrific with offline maps.

Data Input: 1/10
    This one is a stunner, and throws into question whether I can use this as a PDA at all. I really really really hope I am completely missing something important such as the names of all the alternative keyboards in the app store. There are no alternative keyboards that I was able to find, and from the comments I have read elsewhere there are just no alternatives available on the Playbook. This one hit me like a bus, so I'll bullet-point this.
    - Keys are very large, but numbers and symbols are on a separate keyboard.
    - Keyboard uses only half the screen, yet people already know where they are typing and just want to see what they're typing, which two lines at the top could do
    - On the extra keyboard where numbers appear, the decimal is not near the numbers (had to go back to look again, just in case I was dreaming...nope, not dreaming, so I'm guessing the keyboard designer only ever uses whole numbers, and those occasionally)
    - The keyboard doesn't split for landscape thumbing
    - I have to move my whole arm to type with one hand, which hampers speed/accuracy
    - No user-defined keys for characters or words/phrases the user often uses (there are suggestions sometimes, and that's fine)
    - No forward delete
    - No cursor keys for moving through text

Overall impression is that it's a nice and well-appointed tablet with responsive touch which is suited for media consumption, data display, photos/videos and apps that like being touched a lot. Multitasking is beautiful. It would be nice if alternative keyboards were available to allow for efficient input. It would be really nice if handwritten letters were recognized. It's puzzling that the browser doesn't save passwords. The battery life is great, and charging time is very reasonable.

My overall first week experience is 8/10 for everything but the data input, and data input is 1/10, hopefully to be changed to an 8 as soon as the fog lifts from my understanding of things.
    Last edited by CanEric; 07-13-12 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added summary
    07-13-12 01:48 AM
    Not much time but if you have private browsing ON, it will not save passwords. Otherwise it should.
    07-13-12 10:01 AM
    Bought a new 64GB PB for $300, and gave my old 16GB PB to my niece, after installing PSX and SNES emulators and games on it for her.
    07-13-12 10:23 AM
    Not much time but if you have private browsing ON, it will not save passwords. Otherwise it should.
    Exactly ^^, what they said ^^
    07-13-12 11:46 AM
    More time as hike got cancelled by very unusual morning thunder/lightning storms....

The keyboard is not the best. All kinds of suggestions but none have shown up on rim's radar. I want a QuestionMark on the main board. The password/number keyboard would be nice overall. I don't know what field you are entering but you can sometimes scroll the text before using the keyboard. Many want cursor keys. I've suggested a right diagonal swipe to bring up a cursor keypad with home/end/pgup/down, left/right, up/down....

Some folks don't mind the blue slidey tab pointer! Press/hold on text and it appears for selection or movement.
    07-13-12 02:36 PM
    I got mine about two weeks ago and love it. It does everything I want to do and more.

I like the box.com app and Documents To Go.

I have no regrets about not buying anything else. I got mine new for $169 and there is nothing out there that comes anywhere close for that price. I didn't want to spend too much money since I wasn't sure how much I would use it. I find myself using this more and more all the time. I have installed a couple of Book Reader apps and it works great with them.

I'm a happy user!
    07-13-12 04:06 PM
    @F2 and @ericdude

Thanks folks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Browser passwords:
    In the browser settings I already had private browsing off, and I turned off the popup blocker but the browser is still not saving passwords. Perhaps it is and there's some secret to having them appear in the form, but in any case it's not behaving in the way that I'm used to websites behaving when they save passwords by auto-filling the fields, or responding to a double-click on the blank field to show the things that have been saved for that field. The help file regarding the browser doesn't mention passwords. So at least now I know it should be working and it's something I can troubleshoot, and that helps a lot. Thanks for letting me know what the expected behavior is. Perhaps I should be using beta 2.1.

Keyboard:
    Thanks a lot for clarifying the keyboard situation, knowledge like this saves me time and helps me focus on what I can do. I wonder if the choice of keyboard was due to time constraints or had to do with the initial purpose of the tablet as a phone display before the native pim apps were included. Inclusion of a graffiti system would be great but not a replacement for a customized keyboard. I'll have to give my options some thought. Perhaps I'll turn it into a laptop-y thing and get a keyboard in a folder.

Some things I learned:

Orientation:
    Android apps will sometimes lock the orientation of the screen to portrait when you've locked it to landscape before opening the app.

Folders!
    I can make folders to put icons in! YAY!
    Now my home screen is a clean assortment of folders. This is lovely. I was faced with making a big assortment of pages to flip through. Not so now. For those reading this wondering how, just press and hold an icon until it "throbs" and drag it onto another icon. Then you have put both in a folder and you name the folder. You can rename and move the folder anytime. A handy way to arrange a big load is to put a folder in the last remaining open slot at the top toolbar, and then drag relevant apps to that. Switch to a different folder and repeat until all your randomness is cleaned up, then arrange your folders nicely. The folders show tiny thumbs of the first few apps inside so they are easier to recognize by sight.

App Store:
    I can initiate a download and then continue looking for apps! Yay! No more waiting for an install to finish before continuing.

Some things I'm looking at:

Password apps:
    So many choices. People love LastPass but I don't really jive with subscription-y stuff. Conflicted whether I want to keep anything in the cloud or not.

Information organization:
    Like notes, lists, etc. There are a lot of choices. I have a feeling that getting to know Evernote might be a good way to go, but having a dedicated notes/to-do/lists app integrated with the calendar would be nice. Maybe Evernote can. Having an app that lets me include voice and photos within the same note is ad advantage. I think Evernote does that.

Thanks again for the tips and info.

Eric
    07-14-12 04:56 PM
1,192 ... 4344454647 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD