I finally got my playbook in Japan. I had no problems with set up, although I thought I might not be able to get through the agreement screen. I set up the WiFi in less than 20 seconds and downloaded the software updates, then set up the bridge. It works well, except for the bridge browser. My carrier here in Japan (Docomo), blocks me from flash content on my blackberry, so even with flash turned off it was very very slow. My plan also has no tether option, so I bought a highspeed pocket Wifi at clocked at 2100kbps, which is much faster than my 720kbps speed than Docomo provides. Now that I use the pocket WiFi, I save 50 dollars a month, which is the monthly charge for the pocket WiFi. A few hours of my time at the electric shop and I now feel well conected. Okay, here is my reveiw of the playbook. If ipad 2 was free and the playbook was twice as expensive. I would still go with the playbook. This is without a doubt one of the best portable computers on the market today. Browsing the net is excellent. The QNX OS is so smooth and effortless and very comfortable. The fit and feel is very natural. I am typing this now and on my playbook and was shocked how smooth the typing is. Multitasking is exactly what RIM promised. Nothing on the market can compare. If this is your first Blackberry product you are thinking of buying, then I would buy it and not buy a blackberry phone, or at least hold off until QNX is availabe on blackberry phones. You will not miss native blackberry email or bb messenger if you have never had it to begin with. It will come to the playbook by the summer and you can start using it then. If WiFi connectivity is a problem for you then wait for the 4g model in the summer. I have no complaints other than I have been waiting since September to get a playbook. I spent a lot of time researching and testing other tablets and was prepared to buy the best. Everything always pointed to the playbook. No matter what you are used to or what brands you own there is nothing quite like this on the market. Spend 10 minutes in the store on a playbook and I think you will agree. Thanks for the great build RIM.
    05-05-11 10:28 AM
    I got my PlayBook today, was free becasue I created an App
    05-05-11 11:20 AM
    I received the PlayBook from my girlfriend as an early birthday present last Sunday.
    05-05-11 11:35 AM
    I imported (no official release here in Switzerland) my pb on a local store a week ago and i'm really happy with it.

off Topic: I did not find a Tipps Thread so i post it in here. Found out that if you push the vol up and vol down button at the same time, the PB will make a Screenshot and save it in the Gallery App.
    05-05-11 01:26 PM
    I got mine last night and it's already dead, RIM and I could not get it to see Wifi Networks at all... They are sending me a replacement...
    05-05-11 04:16 PM
    Geez - doesn't the QC dept test these things before shipment??
    asaulo1 likes this.
    05-05-11 04:18 PM
    I got my Playbook 10 days ago, when I first promised myself I would just try it out for 14 days then return it. I think I'm going to change my plans.

My original plan was to buy the Asus EEE Pad Transformer at Best Buy, but when I realized they only sold it online (and was sold out the day it came out), I was bummed out, but didn't want to go home empty-handed. I went to Staples and bought the Playbook, just to give myself a toy to play with. But now that I have it, I can't put it down.

It's the perfect size for me and how I'd like to use it, especially at work. It's small enough to be portable, yet big enough to do what I need it to do. Now that I think about it, walking with a 10-inch tablet around a hospital seems too cumbersome. Having this 7-inch beauty has been more practical.

The Playbook really meets most of my needs. From what I've tested, it's the best web browsing experience on a tablet I could find. I don't own a Blackberry phone, so I won't be using the Bridge function, but using the internet via wi-fi has been a treat. Every website I usually go to loads up in a snap. More flash-heavy sites take a little longer, but I don't mind.

The OS itself is blazing fast. It goes from app to app flawlessly, with no slowdowns. Even though there aren't many apps compared to Apple's and Android's offerings, I downloaded enough to keep me occupied. For some, apps may be important, but not for me. And knowing that the list of apps keep growing, it'll only be a matter of time before we get the apps we truly want/need.

Battery life is more than good enough for me. After that last update my battery life was suffering, but after reading through this site (thank you everyone!) it was fixed by accepting the video chat. I'll bring my Playbook to work with a full charge, spend at least an hour on the internet, play some games, watch a full movie, then come home 8 hours later with 60% left on the battery. That's pure awesomeness!

I may have bought the Playbook with little to no expectations, but after playing with it for a long time, it seamlessly fits most of my needs. I don't think I could say that with an iPad (no flash, wonky multitasking, encapsulated ecosystem) or an Android-based tablet (buggy flash, buggy apps, buggy everything). Though I may not find a big "need" for the Playbook in my life, it does accentuate and compliments the technology I do need, and does it perfectly.
    05-06-11 01:30 AM
    I am pretty sure my husband and kids are getting me a Playbook for Mother's Day! I can't wait to get my hands on it!
    05-06-11 08:52 AM
    Now that's what I call a great family!!! Happy mother's day....
    I am pretty sure my husband and kids are getting me a Playbook for Mother's Day! I can't wait to get my hands on it!
    05-06-11 11:11 AM
    I received my 64 gig Playbook yesterday and got it running last night. I had read all of these blogs where people were stating all of the problems that they were having. I am NOT tech savy! My I.T. staff member cringes when i tell him that i did something wrong downloading files on the company computer. I don't even know enough about computers to be dangerous!!

So i was already prepared for having problems getting this new beast working. The bottom line was that it could not have gone any easier. I was shocked. I have a Verizon BB 9650 and the BB Bridge download could not have been any easier to do than it was. Bluetooth instructions were dummy proof (i did it) and i have never used Bluetooth before in anything. and it worked and i really like the way that the phone sort of acts as a server for the Playbook.

The way this thing works is easy to figure out and i have never had a touch screen anything before, except for the 3 days i had a Droid phone and could not figure it out and espcially how to call voice mail to get the messages that i missed. This morning the battery was only sligtly down from 100% the night before.

Any updates that there during the start up process which i think was over 300 meg were downloaded immediately either during the start up process or just after it and took less than 7 minutes. I then spent the next hour trying to find any problems and everything just worked like it should have. And then it worked great this morning too....

Everyone knows that the apps are coming sometime this year, so that is the deal and nothing is going to change it. I can wait! This puppy is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So any way, thats my story and I am sticking to it!
    05-06-11 03:40 PM
    Just got mine. Literally just walked out of radio shack and couldn't contain myself. Had to bust it out in the car and take a pic.
    05-06-11 05:06 PM
    I've got it a couple of days ago, how do I register my playbook, I didnt see it during set up.
    05-06-11 07:51 PM
    I am loving the form factor of this thing. Definitely a lot more mobile friendly than the ipad2. The BB Bridge works pretty well too.
    05-06-11 08:14 PM
    1st post and 1st blackberry, which happens to be a playbook, I got it because I liked what I had been seeing in video reviews. I clearly am a person that does not care about the claimed drawbacks (no email, contacts and bbm) well since I never used bbm I wont miss it. I did have an ipad and I rarely used the contacts or the email on it, so I wont miss that either.
    05-06-11 08:17 PM
    Just got it today also.
    05-06-11 08:47 PM
    Wow a free playbook and a pic with Joakim Noah cool.
    i'll take the playbook. they can keep that picture though (Paecrs fan)! oh, and i bought mine a few days ago too. it's damn near perfect, not too big, not too small. i bought my wife's a couple of days after release. i didnt get on it though. i said i wasnt gonna get one. not because of the product itself, i just didnt need it. didnt even want it. i THOUGHT i wasnt gonna get one, but came across one on ebay for 399. buy now. a brand new one for 135 less than the store was enough to persuade me. unfortunately, he had to refund my money because his car was broken into after he loaded up the things he had sold on ebay! he said there were two playbooks in there! so i just went and bought one out of the store. i put six movies and 25 albums on it with about 6gb left. now, time for some naked video chat with the wife!
    05-06-11 09:08 PM
    I returned my PlayBook 32GB because

PlayBook's too much fun so I got a 64GB LOL!

I was so excited, I went around the mall to find WiFi, and the only place that's got WiFi without all the bells and whistle is...

Thanks Apple!
    05-06-11 11:03 PM
    I just got mine and it's awesome. Also I can tether it with my mytouch 4g and it is super fast (don't worrt I'll be back on the 9900!)

Couldn't be happier. My ipad is old news.
    05-06-11 11:53 PM
    wow...i had no idea what a playbook was, i went on crackberry a couple of times as a visitor just to get some info on a BB smart phone before i purchased one 5 days ago and now i'm a member and want to know every thing there is to know about my curve(everything, cause i am totally addicted) anyway....i thought playbook was like a user guide for blackberry handhelds or something..so i click on it just now and BAM its a Tablet and it looks smokin, i am so happy with my Little 8530 as a newbie... i'll keep it for 6 months or a year but i will get the playbook sooner than my phone upgrade..why did i not get a BB sooner...i ain't never going back to another smartphone....BB 4eva
    Last edited by Jaybeans821; 05-07-11 at 12:37 AM.
    05-07-11 12:33 AM
    Welcome - and enjoy....it's quite an adventure!
    05-07-11 12:35 AM
    oh thank you< i am enjoying and i do look foreword to the adventure...PEACE..
    05-07-11 01:10 AM
    is it right, we can not use web browsing with BP? and if so are there applications for alot of commonly used sites like Iphon????
    05-07-11 02:42 AM
    what you got to explain your question?
    05-07-11 06:21 AM
    Just had to share, I've been looking forward to leaving Thailand and getting back to Canada so I could get my dam hands on a PlayBook. This was not going to happen for a month so I've just been watching Crackberry.com and waiting. But low and behold shopping in the market today there it was. My 32g PlayBook. Brand new in the wraper. I fell in love and bought it instantly. Apperantly the lady who sold it to me has a bunch for sale!! Who needs an international launch date!!! Let the games begin!
    05-07-11 06:33 AM
    Have had my 32gb Playbook for a few days...havent really had a chance to play with it as ive been busy with things. Had it shipped over from America to the UK, bought it from someone on ebay and came in the box brand new.

Absolutely loving it from what i have used...have a few dead pixels but will get it fixed when the UK launch of the Playbook as i spoke to RIM UK the other day myself.

Looking forward to giving it a good play later tonight when i finish work...watching TV and chilling with my playbook.
    05-07-11 07:13 AM
1,192 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD